Player Discussion Tage Thompson 2

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Those issues may possibly always be issues but the work in Rochester on being safe around the blueline and using his size to go inside, as well as working on his defensive responsibilities and finding the open man, he can round off into something. I used to see Daze, a big and lanky player who was more of a shooter. Now? I don't know. He could impose with that size.
Not saying he can’t. I was never enamored with his offensive game because it was too one dimensional. If he can be responsible and contribute to a line instead of being supported by one, he can be a useful middle six player. I hope the increased ice time helps him develop confidence, but confidence to go to the dirty areas where I think his hands can be very effective. I wish him the best and hope he becomes a threat to push for a NHL roster spot.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I have a hard time judging someone who was obviously playing in a league above his head. There are numerous examples of players that were rushed into the league and playing over there head before they eventually caught up to speed, guys like Elias Lindholm, Teravainen, and even Brett Connolly are recent examples that come to mind. Of course shooting, passing, and decision making is going to hampered, the internal clock is still too slow, things are rushed, technique suffers, etc.

I have no idea what Tage is going to do, but trying to judge him based on last year is the equivalent of trying to figure out if this little kid is gonna be good at Basketball.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Mike Knuble was also a big right handed shot. 6 foot 3 225+ pounds and scored 30 goals at age 30. First time hitting 20/30+. Saying Tage is fully developed at 21 is ridiculous.

That comparison is pretty absurd. First, Knuble's shooting percentage was pretty consistent his whole career. More opportunity, more total production. He just got put in far better situations as he aged. Not to mention dude was a net front grinder, not a sniper, shooter from distance.

The point is not whether players can be successful late in their career. Anything is possible, maybe Knuble is the Barry Bonds of hockey players, getting better in his thirties...

But on average, players don't massively improve their shooting accuracy in their twenties.

It's not even a point about Tage. I think I have repeated this a couple times, but I think it's completely possible that he will be fine with a reboot season in Rochester.

I can't believe I'm reading about Mike Knuble of all people.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
That comparison is pretty absurd. First, Knuble's shooting percentage was pretty consistent his whole career. More opportunity, more total production. He just got put in far better situations as he aged. Not to mention dude was a net front grinder, not a sniper, shooter from distance.

The point is not whether players can be successful late in their career. Anything is possible, maybe Knuble is the Barry Bonds of hockey players, getting better in his thirties...

But on average, players don't massively improve their shooting accuracy in their twenties.

It's not even a point about Tage. I think I have repeated this a couple times, but I think it's completely possible that he will be fine with a reboot season in Rochester.

I can't believe I'm reading about Mike Knuble of all people.

Why not? Both are big bodied right shot wingers. Knuble was still a longtime NHLer before breaking out playing 6 seasons straight failing to surpass 15 goals and most years more then 9. With Thompson bulked up considerably he is likely going to be far more active in front of the net just like another big RH shot winger who carved out a nice role using his size in front of the net. You are calling Thompson a finished product at 21 when there are examples of players built exactly like Thompson improving. He is not going to be a Steve Bernier.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Good to see they're putting him on the correct development path - a path he should have been on last year but for misguided attempts to justify a trade, but I digress. Better late than never, I suppose. Tage should be developed into a middle-6 RW with emphasis on his defensive game. He should play PP2 and PK some. He'll never put up big assist numbers, but if he can chip in 15-20 goals per season, that'd be sufficient.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Good to see they're putting him on the correct development path - a path he should have been on last year but for misguided attempts to justify a trade, but I digress. Better late than never, I suppose. Tage should be developed into a middle-6 RW with emphasis on his defensive game. He should play PP2 and PK some. He'll never put up big assist numbers, but if he can chip in 15-20 goals per season, that'd be sufficient.

I expect him to be a 30 goal scorer when he is fully formed. He ha such a great package of size and skill and lethal shot. Slow cook him, let him continue to dominate the AHL and bring him up when he is ready and he should be a very good top 6 winger in the NHL.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I expect him to be a 30 goal scorer when he is fully formed. He ha such a great package of size and skill and lethal shot. Slow cook him, let him continue to dominate the AHL and bring him up when he is ready and he should be a very good top 6 winger in the NHL.

I think that's a bit of a reach, if only because he'll never take Jack's spot on that LW half wall on PP1. He'll get some run on PP2, but unless he's an ES monster - and, again, as a RW he probably isn't going to get primo minutes with Sam seemingly a fixture on Jack's wing - I think 30 is ambitious. I could see him going over 20 a couple times, though.

Reactions: jc17

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Why not? Both are big bodied right shot wingers. Knuble was still a longtime NHLer before breaking out playing 6 seasons straight failing to surpass 15 goals and most years more then 9. With Thompson bulked up considerably he is likely going to be far more active in front of the net just like another big RH shot winger who carved out a nice role using his size in front of the net. You are calling Thompson a finished product at 21 when there are examples of players built exactly like Thompson improving. He is not going to be a Steve Bernier.

I think you clearly are not reading my posts if you think I said he was a finished product.

Maybe its a bad comparison because they have totally different games and physiques.

Maybe because Knuble never became some great shooter, which is the skill being discussed, but just got more ice as the third wheel with great players.

A good example would be finding someone like Mark Mancari and showing how his shooting percentage increased year after year, as he developed in his mid twenties. Instead that guy couldn't do it.

Warren Young might have been a good gotcha type player, but you don't know who he is and the easy answer would be to say playing with Mario creates a lot of freebies. And of course he fell off after leaving Pittsburgh.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I think that's a bit of a reach, if only because he'll never take Jack's spot on that LW half wall on PP1. He'll get some run on PP2, but unless he's an ES monster - and, again, as a RW he probably isn't going to get primo minutes with Sam seemingly a fixture on Jack's wing - I think 30 is ambitious. I could see him going over 20 a couple times, though.
I think he will be a 70 goal scorer, and that is a conservative estimate on my part.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
when tage is ready I think the lineup is going to make a lot more sense. I'd have:

Tage-jack-sam
skins-mojo-VO
Sheary-mitts-sobotka/vesey/erod
LOG

Then next season sobotka and vesey are gone, which will open the door for guys like cozens and asplund. We are starting to look pretty good, tbh.

mike8219

Feb 21, 2008
South Buffalo
www.youtube.com
Next season i would go with

Skinner - Eichel - Cozens
Sheary - Mittelstadt - Reinhart
Olofsson - Johansson - Thompson

i think Skinner and Eichel should be put together they both play fast pass hockey
and Olofsson and Johansson

Cozens plays wing a season or two then takes Johansson spot

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Next season i would go with

Skinner - Eichel - Cozens
Sheary - Mittelstadt - Reinhart
Olofsson - Johansson - Thompson

i think Skinner and Eichel should be put together they both play fast pass hockey
and Olofsson and Johansson

Cozens plays wing a season or two then takes Johansson spot

I think Cozens should get another year in the WHL.

If somebody like Cody Glass played his D+2 in the WHL, Cozens should too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad