Player Discussion Tage Thompson 2

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Expectations this year?

Point per game in the AHL with 30 goals? Late season call up?

God forbid he starts in the NHL..

How about we see how he and the rest of the guys come into camp?

But if he is to start in the AHL, I would want to see a 20-25 goal season depending on when he gets called up. He should be in the top 3 of the team in scoring. He’s capable of being a better playmaker in the AHL than NHL, so I would hope to see him post a significant improvement in assists.

If he starts in the NHL, I’d place his expectations on 10-15 goals and 10-15 assists. This will depend on who he plays with of course. I’d expect him to get #2 PP minutes if he’s in the NHL. Would like to see him planted in the slot to use that release of his.

What I think happens, he said plays on the main roster as he would be in a rotation with Girgensons, and Larsson until injuries hit. He’s going to be given every chance to get a spot from the coaching staff and management.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
:rolleyes:

Wilson got hurt in camp, and even considering him, there weren't 14 NHL quality players to have start on the roster. Send Thompson down and keep Nylander or whoever your favorite other camp guy was, and the result is the same - a meh prospect that isn't quite ready. Nobody separated themselves from Thompson enough to call foul. Flip-flopping prospects in and out of Rochester during the season doesn't seem like a terrible idea, but not a great enough idea for me to call foul on that either.

This is yet another issue that just isn't that important to damn anyone over. Ultimately players have to prove themselves, and increased competition is a great motivator for that. That's exactly what's happened over this summer.
CJ Smith was more than ready and you cant possibly know what Nylander might have achieved by saying the results would have been the same.

Everything you said in this post is the anti-thesis to Botterill's existence which was proven last camp. Players proving it? It didnt matter in the end, Botterill's mind was set by gifting Tage a spot who then squandered it.

If this issue wasnt important then Nylander probably wouldn't feel like he wanted out.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
CJ Smith was more than ready and you cant possibly know what Nylander might have achieved by saying the results would have been the same.

Everything you said in this post is the anti-thesis to Botterill's existence which was proven last camp. Players proving it? It didnt matter in the end, Botterill's mind was set by gifting Tage a spot who then squandered it.

If this issue wasnt important then Nylander probably wouldn't feel like he wanted out.

Thompson earned his spot last camp/preseason. He just sucked once the real games started, and the team waited way too long to respond to that.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Thompson earned his spot last camp/preseason. He just sucked once the real games started, and the team waited way too long to respond to that.

He had a couple poke checks that turned to turnovers that everyone pooped for. But then that was all he tried upon to play the game, which a couple times he got caught with a penalty. The same issues he showed during the season were there during camp and preseason. He didn’t earn a spot. He was given a spot. Guys like Smith and Nylander outplayed Thompson and Mittelstadt, not by much, but clearly “earned” a spot more than Tage and Casey.

He was terrible in the beginning of the year as expected, was sat for a a couple games, played better and then tapered off. Then he was sat again and the cycle began again.

Reactions: Sabre the Win

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Well, this article from Justin Bourne in The Athletic about special skills that only one or two people have over everyone mentions McDavid's skating, Crosby's backhand, Ovi's one-timer, Pavelski's hand-eye, and other superstars who can show one elite skill.

Bourne: In a league full of exceptional talents, which...

Pretty much all are stars. Jack Eichel's is his stride:

Jack Eichel’s long stride

I chalk this one up to deception too. Jack Eichel can look like he’s skating along with everyone else when suddenly you realize he’s the horse at the end of the Kentucky Derby somehow gaining on and passing everyone. That deceptive speed can be even more dangerous than on-its-face speed.

The other Sabre with an "elite" skill? Tage Thompson.

Mark Stone’s defensive stick (with a nod to Tage Thompson)

Mark Stone is probably No. 1 on my list of players I’d slash out of frustration if I played against him. He uses his stick like a lizard’s tongue catching flies. It’s held in, and held in, and then BAM it’s out and disrupting plays. You try to sauce the puck over him, he knocks it down. The puck is in a battle, he pulls it out. It’s like he’s got a magnet in his blade, with the polar opposite in the puck. Tage Thompson should get some love here too – he’s another forward who disrupts with his stick like he wants nobody else to have any fun.

Skinner does get a backhand mention, but he's not at the same level as Crosby, according to Bourne.

Reactions: jc17

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I think Drew Stafford level production is what I see for Tage. Not saying his play style is similar but I can see him once fully developed being a 16-24 goal, 40-50 point middle 6 winger for this team. For a 21 year old last year the criticism was harsh. Yes he was overwhelmed but he undeniably has talent to be a 20 goal winger in the NHL.

But considering for the entirety of last season we shipped out our 65 point 2 way center and all we had to show at the time was an overwhelmed 21 year old prospect, garbage Sobotka and a depressed floating Berglund for 2 months. Now that a legit #2 D prospect and a proven top 4 RHD are now the final returns of the trade Thompson won't get overly criticized for being the only tangible piece of the RoR trade. He can go out there and play his game and not have to try and do to much to please a bunch of fans,journalists and hockey message board posters angry that he wasn't an immediate first liner.

I have to say I cannot wait to see him fully developed and on one of the PP units with a Jack or Sam or Dahlin. Someone who can create space and feed him some cross ice one timers on the PP. His shot is without a doubt one of the best in the organization.

In 3 years we are going to have a forward corps of Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Mittelstadt, Cozens, Olofsson, Thompson. Thats 7 20+ goal scorers right there. We haven't had 5 20+ goal scorers in an entire decade, let alone 6 or 7. This team one day soon is going to have an entire top 9 that has 2 if not 3 20+ goal scorers on each of the 3 lines.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Now that a legit #2 D prospect and a proven top 4 RHD are now the final returns of the trade Thompson won't get overly criticized for being the only tangible piece of the RoR trade. He can go out there and play his game and not have to try and do to much to please a bunch of fans,journalists and hockey message board posters angry that he wasn't an immediate first liner.
I mean, do players really put much stock in angry message board posters? Journalists maybe, especially in the media scrums, but I'm guessing that these guys probably don't mess around with fans or on message boards enough to see the hate constantly tossed their way (at least I sincerely hope they don't).

Reactions: Buffaloed

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well, this article from Justin Bourne in The Athletic about special skills that only one or two people have over everyone mentions McDavid's skating, Crosby's backhand, Ovi's one-timer, Pavelski's hand-eye, and other superstars who can show one elite skill.

Bourne: In a league full of exceptional talents, which...

Pretty much all are stars. Jack Eichel's is his stride:

The other Sabre with an "elite" skill? Tage Thompson.

Skinner does get a backhand mention, but he's not at the same level as Crosby, according to Bourne.

Someone print it, laminate it and tape this on Tage's stall. If he can get used to making consistent smart plays within 5-10' of the bluelines (no more Afinogenov-itis in those dangerous turnover areas), and apply his stick and positioning to defending like Mark f***ing Stone? Yes please. Just move your feet kid.

Last edited:

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
In 3 years we are going to have a forward corps of Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Mittelstadt, Cozens, Olofsson, Thompson. Thats 7 20+ goal scorers right there. We haven't had 5 20+ goal scorers in an entire decade, let alone 6 or 7. This team one day soon is going to have an entire top 9 that has 2 if not 3 20+ goal scorers on each of the 3 lines.
That would be wonderful but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Unrelated: Imagine if we hadnt traded Bailey. Bailey-Cozens-Thompson line would be so lanky and out of control but probably entertaining

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Unrelated: Imagine if we hadnt traded Bailey. Bailey-Cozens-Thompson line would be so lanky and out of control but probably entertaining

Quality front court for the Braves maybe?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Imagine being in the best shape of your life at 21. Totally unheard of.

He does look huge out there on the ice though.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
He's still growing.
This was in The Athletic's story on the Pens game:
Six observations from the Sabres' first preseason game under...
5. A bigger, stronger Tage Thompson
We all know Tage Thompson is a big guy. According to the latest stats supplied by the team, he’s now 6-foot-7 and 215 pounds, up from 6-6 and 205 last season. When he finished last season in the AHL with Rochester, something he did with a lot of success was dig in around the net and score goals down low. He did exactly that on the power play against the Penguins. “I love it – anywhere on the power play is awesome – so I can’t complain,” Thompson said. “I feel comfortable there. I’ve played it in the past. Feel comfortable down low, behind the goal line and in front of the net, popping in and out. It’s a good spot for me.”

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Is Bailey even in the NHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad