Player Discussion Tage Thompson 2

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I didn't see anything from Thompson's first full pro season last year nor in training camp this year that led me to believe that he was ready for full time NHL duty this season. And I was hardly alone in that opinion.

He should have been treated in much the same way that Olofsson was treated, IMO.
I can't say you're wrong. Maybe our lacking winger depth has something to do with them picking one prospect to make the NHL squad, and respectfully, he had a very good camp. Along with Nylander, just without the baggage of the prior seasons AHL benching. Better than Olofsson, Smith, Asplund, etc.

People were furious that Nylander didn't make the cut. It would've been the same way if Nylander made it and Thompson didn't.

EDIT: And I agree a good camp doesn't mean "ready for full time NHL duty". I'm only condoning not sending him down from the perspective that something about Thompson made them believe it was something he could work through. Which we wouldn't really know.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I can't say you're wrong. Maybe our lacking winger depth has something to do with them picking one prospect to make the NHL squad, and respectfully, he had a very good camp. Along with Nylander, just without the baggage of the prior seasons AHL benching. Better than Olofsson, Smith, Asplund, etc.

People were furious that Nylander didn't make the cut. It would've been the same way if Nylander made it and Thompson didn't.

EDIT: And I agree a good camp doesn't mean "ready for full time NHL duty". I'm only condoning not sending him down from the perspective that something about Thompson made them believe it was something he could work through. Which we wouldn't really know.
You are aware that in the previous season the Blues depth was really bad and forced them to call up Tage, then Tage was so unbelievably awful that they ended up sending him back to the AHL despite their roster depth situation? He earned a chance in training camp but after about 2 weeks Botts should've been able to figure out that he wasn't an NHL quality player at this point in his career.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
You are aware that in the previous season the Blues depth was really bad and forced them to call up Tage, then Tage was so unbelievably awful that they ended up sending him back to the AHL despite their roster depth situation? He earned a chance in training camp but after about 2 weeks Botts should've been able to figure out that he wasn't an NHL quality player at this point in his career.
I find it hard to believe any team has as little NHL quality depth as us to start this year. :laugh: Especially without the benefit of hindsight on certain newcomers.

Last edited:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I expect Tage to have a breakout season (20g, 20a) that will plunge the fanbase into civil war when he holds out and demands the Reinhart bridge contract.

Reactions: sabremike

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
Despite his struggles last year, I would be f***ing elated if Tage gets 40 pts next season.

Reactions: Rasmi

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
He’s a *****ing AHL player
YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!!!!!!
:madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire:

WE LOVE AND WORSHIP TAGE JUST LIKE VLAD SOBOTKA DOES!!!!!!!!!!

20190217_173116_Burst01.jpg

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
With competent coaching and linemates and 2PP unit time he should get to 20+25 easily this season. I don't see him going back to the AHL whatever happens this season. Botts will not give up on him just because fans don't like his ROR trade return. And frankly I don't think he's played as badly as some make him out to be while the season still meant something despite being coached by a Baffoon.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Why are people so hard on him? Don't blame him for Botterill's mistakes.

Tage hopefully can score 30 goals in the AHL next year and give us hope for the future.

Reactions: kummelweck

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He is 21 and he also sucks. Both are true.

He sucked as an NHL player. He crushed it in the AHL when he was finally sent down. He wasn't ready for the bigs, but there's definitely still promise for a successful NHL career there.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
With competent coaching and linemates and 2PP unit time he should get to 20+25 easily this season. I don't see him going back to the AHL whatever happens this season. Botts will not give up on him just because fans don't like his ROR trade return. And frankly I don't think he's played as badly as some make him out to be while the season still meant something despite being coached by a Baffoon.

Why do you think the difference between him getting 12 points and 45 points is competent coaching and linemates and 2 PP unit time, to increase his offense output 275%? Especially for a guy who has never been an average offensive producer at best at the professional level. Tage has a wicked shot, but the rest of his tools leave a lot to be desired, even at the AHL level. His slow reading of the play, his slow acceleration, his 50/50 of his poke check is going to get him in a lot of trouble if he can't produce a physical game. It's the type of game which can lead to potential penalties down the road. His playing making is an absolute joke.

Why are people so hard on him? Don't blame him for Botterill's mistakes.

Tage hopefully can score 30 goals in the AHL next year and give us hope for the future.

Not everyone that is hard on him does so because he's a result of a poor trade.

There are legit gripes about his game, that posters have brought up in the past. His only redeeming quality is his shot, but his reading of play, and his acceleration hamper his ability to get into the slot to find soft areas of the zone to utilize his shot on a consistent basis. Even though he's 6'6", he's very weak for his size, and I don't see his body frame being able to handle more muscle/weight and his center of gravity doesn't seem to exist. It's very easy to knock him off his skating lane/path. We would be very lucky if we can get a consistent 20-25 point season out of him.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
8 goals in 10 AHL games is still nothing to scoff at.

He needs a full year in the AHL to cut a lot of the shit out of his game, and then we can go from there.

I believe in him more than I do Nylander.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

He needs a full year in the AHL to cut a lot of the **** out of his game, and then we can go from there.

Why do you have more belief in Tage than Nylander?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

He needs a full year in the AHL to cut a lot of the **** out of his game, and then we can go from there.

Why do you have more belief in Tage than Nylander?

I'm wondering that as well.

The only thing Thompson does well at this time is shoot the puck. He isn't good at winning puck battles, he isn't good at making passing decisions when he does have it. He doesn't carry it well and regularly makes poor decisions in high danger areas (namely within 10' of either side of either blueline) when he does. Yes, he can occasionally stickhandle, but his outcomes at this point are not a net positive. There is no physical imposition to his game since he's easily knocked off his feet. And I'm not talking hitting, just being able to use a large frame to push through opponents to either establish position or win a puck.

Nylander can carry the puck, can distribute the puck and has some finish to his game. What we haven't seen is urgency to use those tools shift to shift.

Both are flawed, yet it seems Thompson needs others to deliver the puck for him to use his one quality skill far more than Nylander needs others to shift the balance of play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad