Player Discussion Tage Thompson 2

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I'm wondering that as well.

The only thing Thompson does well at this time is shoot the puck. He isn't good at winning puck battles, he isn't good at making passing decisions when he does have it. He doesn't carry it well and regularly makes poor decisions in high danger areas (namely within 10' of either side of either blueline) when he does. Yes, he can occasionally stickhandle, but his outcomes at this point are not a net positive. There is no physical imposition to his game since he's easily knocked off his feet. And I'm not talking hitting, just being able to use a large frame to push through opponents to either establish position or win a puck.

Nylander can carry the puck, can distribute the puck and has some finish to his game. What we haven't seen is urgency to use those tools shift to shift.

Both are flawed, yet it seems Thompson needs others to deliver the puck for him to use his one quality skill far more than Nylander needs others to shift the balance of play.

If judging strictly on their AHL point production, Thompson has shown more growth than Nylander so far:

Nylander
PointsGamesPts/Gm
16-1728650.43
17-1827510.53
18-1931490.63
Thompson
PointsGamesPts/Gm
16-172160.13
17-1818300.60
18-19981.13
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Obviously, there's a very substantial sample size issue here, but I can see why Nylander's stagnant production would cause fans to have caution with his long term projection. While there is growth to his game, we're all still waiting for the proverbial light to go on and see that larger development step.

I think they're both NHLers, but for me it's still a coin flip as to who has the higher ceiling. They both have holes in their skillset that are annoying, but that's more the norm than the exception for 21 year-olds trying to break into the league. I can't shake this gut feeling that they try and move Nylander this offseason though.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If judging strictly on their AHL point production, Thompson has shown more growth than Nylander so far:

Nylander
PointsGamesPts/Gm
16-1728650.43
17-1827510.53
18-1931490.63
Thompson
PointsGamesPts/Gm
16-172160.13
17-1818300.60
18-19981.13
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Obviously, there's a very substantial sample size issue here, but I can see why Nylander's stagnant production would cause fans to have caution with his long term projection. While there is growth to his game, we're all still waiting for the proverbial light to go on and see that larger development step.

I think they're both NHLers, but for me it's still a coin flip as to who has the higher ceiling. They both have holes in their skillset that are annoying, but that's more the norm than the exception for 21 year-olds trying to break into the league. I can't shake this gut feeling that they try and move Nylander this offseason though.

Oh, I have concerns about both and if acquisition where not indicative of retention, I would hope they put both out as possible trade options. But I doubt they do that with Tage. They're both pretty warty.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I'm wondering that as well.

The only thing Thompson does well at this time is shoot the puck. He isn't good at winning puck battles, he isn't good at making passing decisions when he does have it. He doesn't carry it well and regularly makes poor decisions in high danger areas (namely within 10' of either side of either blueline) when he does. Yes, he can occasionally stickhandle, but his outcomes at this point are not a net positive. There is no physical imposition to his game since he's easily knocked off his feet. And I'm not talking hitting, just being able to use a large frame to push through opponents to either establish position or win a puck.

Nylander can carry the puck, can distribute the puck and has some finish to his game. What we haven't seen is urgency to use those tools shift to shift.

Both are flawed, yet it seems Thompson needs others to deliver the puck for him to use his one quality skill far more than Nylander needs others to shift the balance of play.

If you’re not ready for the league you’re playing in, you’re going to look bad at pretty much everything.

My issue with Nylander is his lack of intensity, which you alluded to, in addition to his poor AHL numbers (Thompson put up much better numbers in his limited sample size).

Also Thompson still has a lanky frame - if he fills out he could possibly become more effective. Even though he was one of the worst players this season, there were a few games where I thought he was one of the best players on the ice which is promising.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If you’re not ready for the league you’re playing in, you’re going to look bad at pretty much everything.

My issue with Nylander is his lack of intensity, which you alluded to, in addition to his poor AHL numbers (Thompson put up much better numbers in his limited sample size).

Also Thompson still has a lanky frame - if he fills out he could possibly become more effective. Even though he was one of the worst players this season, there were a few games where I thought he was one of the best players on the ice which is promising.

Agreed on the flashes from Thompson -- a rangy guy dangling like he did had me thinking Mario (I even posted that in the GDT when it happened). There is a lot that could boom if he puts in the work and rounds off the (very) jagged edges. What I liked most in the Amerk games I watched wasn't that he finished, it was his willingness to get involved along the wall and how he engaged. His shot is overpowering down there, and I would like to see him work on how he moves the puck from zone recovery up through the entry and then what he does in the offensive zone. Some guys need to learn that a chip to an open teammate is often more useful and less detrimental than stickhandling the puck back toward one's own blueline. Sending it low, then getting to work to maintain or establish position, instead of giving up a turnover and then not backchecking as though the hordes of hell were nipping at one's heels if the other team scores.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
As frustrating as watching Tage could be, I agree that he showed some flashes that complete busts didn't. He never appeared disinterests or scared of getting involved the way a guy like Grigorenko did. Hopefully with some coaching he can find it.

It's worth noting that his most common linemates were Sobotka, Mitts, and Pominville. Not exactly the people you want leading young guy.

Reactions: Chainshot

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I still haven't lost hope for tage. He had a rough year last season, but I think he still has a good deal of potential. I was pleasantly surprised during training camp and the prospects camp that his game was more than being tall and just having a heavy shot. He wasn't able to take it into the season, but I hope he can find it this year

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I still haven't lost hope for tage. He had a rough year last season, but I think he still has a good deal of potential. I was pleasantly surprised during training camp and the prospects camp that his game was more than being tall and just having a heavy shot. He wasn't able to take it into the season, but I hope he can find it this year

To say he wasn't used correctly, would have been an understatement.

He has so much skill and potential. I don't know why he didn't have over 100 shots from the spot he scored versus Detroit that year. There should have been a launching pad from that spot on the PP with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00