Management Sweeney, Neely Talk Offseason Plans at NHL Draft

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Never was a fan of that lindholm move and 8 years
I got a TBD for him. The injuries concern me a bit but I dont think we have seen enough to come to a conclusion how it shakes out. He is going to take a beaten early next season as he is the target until Mac is back. His job got much tougher

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
New coach and it’s Bergeron’s last year, probably. Sweeney should be making major moves but I expect not much. Disappointing tbh. It’s not like there’s much of a farm system in place that dealing from it would cripple it and take years to recover lol

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
And here we go….

Maybe they’ll ride a boost of new-coach energy from a rejuvenated Jim Montgomery, who’s grateful for a second chance.

Maybe Brad Marchand, Charlie McAvoy, and Matt Grzelcyk will return and play as if they never had major surgeries.

Or maybe that’s all merely more fantasy, on the night on the NHL calendar where every team, even the Stanley Cup champion Avalanche, is guilty of dreaming a little too big.

Right now, it looks this way for the Bruins: They are in danger of falling to the middle of the pack, appearing like a team going the wrong direction, as a few other Atlantic Division teams seem ready to cycle out of their down years.

On a night when the Senators made the biggest move of the offseason so far, pulling two-time 40-goal scorer Alex DeBrincat from the Blackhawks on Friday, and the Red Wings, Sabres, and Canadiens continued to add to their sizable collections of young talent … the Bruins, who dealt their first-rounder to Anaheim in the Hampus Lindholm trade last February, remained on the sidelines.

“You look at some of our players, it’s hard to say we’re going to tear this down,” team president Cam Neely said before the draft opened. He pointed to David Pastrnak — in the last year of his contract, and yet to be signed to a long-term extension — Marchand, Lindholm, McAvoy, Brandon Carlo, Linus Ullmark, and Jeremy Swayman long-term core pieces. “We’ve got guys we feel we can build around right now,” Neely said, “and hopefully keep this train rolling.

“But,” he added, “when you go through what we did from 2011 all the way to ‘22, when you’re in that window and firing off assets and picks, you know you’re going to pay for it. And that’s coming. But hopefully we can find a way to build around those guys … we still feel we have a competitive team, we just have to find the right pieces to help supplement the roster.”

That hasn’t been an issue for the non-playoff Atlantic teams, who have taken their lumps and are making the moves to make Boston sweat.

Ripping off a Chicago team diving headfirst into rebuild mode, Ottawa GM Pierre Dorion stole DeBrincat for the seventh and 39th overall picks this year, and a third-rounder in 2024. To put that return for Chicago in perspective, DeBrincat has 160 goals to his name over the last five years. Pastrnak has 181.

The Senators are building for sustained success, with captain Brady Tkachuk (22), Tim Stützle (20), Drake Batherson (23), Josh Norris (22), Thomas Chabot (25), and Alex Formenton (22), all of whom ranked among their top seven scorers. They have exciting 19-year-old defenseman Jake Sanderson coming. In the coming months, they might build a new arena downtown.

The Red Wings’ stock of talent is similarly enviable, and at some point, GM Steve Yzerman is going to shift his automobile into contention mode. Yzerman has made seven top-15 picks in the last six drafts, Calder Trophy-winning defenseman Moritz Seider (sixth in ‘19) and high-energy, high-IQ Austrian center Marco Kasper, chosen eighth on Friday.

The Sabres felt a buzz at the end of last season, after dealing Jack Eichel to Vegas, and on Friday pulled high-scoring Matthew Savoie out of the WHL Winnipeg at ninth overall. Things are looking up there.

The last-place Canadiens have the longest way to go, but they had a heck of an evening.

Montreal won’t wait that long for its next Cup, will it? Will Buffalo? Detroit? Ottawa?

Now, what about Boston?

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
And here we go….

Maybe they’ll ride a boost of new-coach energy from a rejuvenated Jim Montgomery, who’s grateful for a second chance.

Maybe Brad Marchand, Charlie McAvoy, and Matt Grzelcyk will return and play as if they never had major surgeries.

Or maybe that’s all merely more fantasy, on the night on the NHL calendar where every team, even the Stanley Cup champion Avalanche, is guilty of dreaming a little too big.

Right now, it looks this way for the Bruins: They are in danger of falling to the middle of the pack, appearing like a team going the wrong direction, as a few other Atlantic Division teams seem ready to cycle out of their down years.

On a night when the Senators made the biggest move of the offseason so far, pulling two-time 40-goal scorer Alex DeBrincat from the Blackhawks on Friday, and the Red Wings, Sabres, and Canadiens continued to add to their sizable collections of young talent … the Bruins, who dealt their first-rounder to Anaheim in the Hampus Lindholm trade last February, remained on the sidelines.

“You look at some of our players, it’s hard to say we’re going to tear this down,” team president Cam Neely said before the draft opened. He pointed to David Pastrnak — in the last year of his contract, and yet to be signed to a long-term extension — Marchand, Lindholm, McAvoy, Brandon Carlo, Linus Ullmark, and Jeremy Swayman long-term core pieces. “We’ve got guys we feel we can build around right now,” Neely said, “and hopefully keep this train rolling.

“But,” he added, “when you go through what we did from 2011 all the way to ‘22, when you’re in that window and firing off assets and picks, you know you’re going to pay for it. And that’s coming. But hopefully we can find a way to build around those guys … we still feel we have a competitive team, we just have to find the right pieces to help supplement the roster.”

That hasn’t been an issue for the non-playoff Atlantic teams, who have taken their lumps and are making the moves to make Boston sweat.

Ripping off a Chicago team diving headfirst into rebuild mode, Ottawa GM Pierre Dorion stole DeBrincat for the seventh and 39th overall picks this year, and a third-rounder in 2024. To put that return for Chicago in perspective, DeBrincat has 160 goals to his name over the last five years. Pastrnak has 181.

The Senators are building for sustained success, with captain Brady Tkachuk (22), Tim Stützle (20), Drake Batherson (23), Josh Norris (22), Thomas Chabot (25), and Alex Formenton (22), all of whom ranked among their top seven scorers. They have exciting 19-year-old defenseman Jake Sanderson coming. In the coming months, they might build a new arena downtown.

The Red Wings’ stock of talent is similarly enviable, and at some point, GM Steve Yzerman is going to shift his automobile into contention mode. Yzerman has made seven top-15 picks in the last six drafts, Calder Trophy-winning defenseman Moritz Seider (sixth in ‘19) and high-energy, high-IQ Austrian center Marco Kasper, chosen eighth on Friday.

The Sabres felt a buzz at the end of last season, after dealing Jack Eichel to Vegas, and on Friday pulled high-scoring Matthew Savoie out of the WHL Winnipeg at ninth overall. Things are looking up there.

The last-place Canadiens have the longest way to go, but they had a heck of an evening.

Montreal won’t wait that long for its next Cup, will it? Will Buffalo? Detroit? Ottawa?

Now, what about Boston?
This is basically how I feel. The team is starting to circle the drain while deluded people like Cam "want to keep the train going?" Yeah it went from neutral to headed down and have been that way since 2019. They relied too heavily on one line for too long, and two of those guys are breaking down now. The tire tread is wearing thin while Cam thinks they are still in a race car.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
They still have Kane and Toews. I assume they keep them until at least trade deadline.

Last edited by a moderator:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
This is basically how I feel. The team is starting to circle the drain while deluded people like Cam "want to keep the train going?" Yeah it went from neutral to headed down and have been that way since 2019. They relied too heavily on one line for too long, and two of those guys are breaking down now. The tire tread is wearing thin while Cam thinks they are still in a race car.

The Bruins will be forced to test their youth for next season. Having Marchand, McAvoy and Grz out for the 1st halfish of next season.... will determine if a few of the young players can "breakthrough"

If they cant. I would be worried.... that this team stays in mid pack hell. Good enough to make a wildcard spot/or just out of the playoffs. But not bad enough to gain a top draft position

Ideal - A few of the youths break through. Team plays above 500. Injection from return of Marchand and McAvoy. Trade some of the vets like Smith for picks and prospect. Youth gain playoff experience

Pick a lane - One or two of the youths show promise. But ultimately the team is not good enough. Sell off short term vets. Hold off or sparingly play Marchand, McAvoy (longer rest). Tank for Bedard

Worst case - Youths are not ready or good enough. Team plays at 500. Key vets return from injury. Don trades valuable picks for vets at the trade deadline. Team ousted in the 1st round/short playoff run. Crappy 1st round position.

Reactions: Jtoms

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
They still have Kane and Toews. I assume they keep them until at least trade deadline.
For sure

Todays draft/trades should signal to Kane and Toews...the Blackhawks are ready for a full rebuild. Prepare/have in mind a list of teams to ok trades to

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
The Bruins will be forced to test their youth for next season. Having Marchand, McAvoy and Grz out for the 1st halfish of next season.... will determine if a few of the young players can "breakthrough"

If they cant. I would be worried.... that this team stays in mid pack hell. Good enough to make a wildcard spot/or just out of the playoffs. But not bad enough to gain a top draft position

Ideal - A few of the youths break through. Team plays above 500. Injection from return of Marchand and McAvoy. Trade some of the vets like Smith for picks and prospect. Youth gain playoff experience

Pick a lane - One or two of the youths show promise. But ultimately the team is not good enough. Sell off short term vets. Hold off or sparingly play Marchand, McAvoy (longer rest). Tank for Bedard

Worst case - Youths are not ready or good enough. Team plays at 500. Key vets return from injury. Don trades valuable picks for vets at the trade deadline. Team ousted in the 1st round/short playoff run. Crappy 1st round position.
Worst Case is right now the most likely candidate to happen and thats WITH Bergeron back, he decides to retire, that means they'll go overpay another tweener to try to stop the bleeding since they dont have the cap space. I dread that thought. The fact is with Bergeron, Marchand, and even Krejci back I still dont think they make it out of the first round. Just too many miles on important positions on the team to handle another long run and none of the young guys are projected to pick up those important positions. Most likely they are going to spend most of their energy trying to repeat another second best record in the second half to even make the playoffs.

Right now basically Sweeney's big off season plan is praying both Bergeron and Krejci not only coming back, but taking team friendly deals in the process. So he is banking on loyalty from these players to save his butt.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Pretty much, delusional to the end.

Reactions: Estlin and mar2kbos

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Worst Case is right now the most likely candidate to happen and thats WITH Bergeron back, he decides to retire, that means they'll go overpay another tweener to try to stop the bleeding since they dont have the cap space. I dread that thought. The fact is with Bergeron, Marchand, and even Krejci back I still dont think they make it out of the first round. Just too many miles on important positions on the team to handle another long run and none of the young guys are projected to pick up those important positions. Most likely they are going to spend most of their energy trying to repeat another second best record in the second half to even make the playoffs.

Right now basically Sweeney's big off season plan is praying both Bergeron and Krejci not only coming back, but taking team friendly deals in the process. So he is banking on loyalty from these players to save his butt.
Isnt there a rumor that Bergy deal would be 7.5m plus bonus?

And also Krech wont make 7m. But I doubt he accepts a lower pay than Coyle.

Why should he?

Look at how Caps rewarded Ovie

And its different than Chara (later years).... as these two still have gas left in the tank

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Pretty much, delusional to the end.
They probably know... but need to make the Jacobs happy/dont want to be the suckiest professional in a competitive sports city

Maybe pray in the playoffs, a few stars from opposing teams go down in injury. Someone takes care of TBL/Canes etc.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Koppanen getting a shot sounds like it hinges on them dumping Nosek to save a million dollars, which they pretty much need at this point. I don't think Koppanen is the best they can do even in that situation, but then I'm not a fan of any 4th liners making over a million. If they are a 4th liner, they should be able to be waived off the cap. Nosek is total trade bait.

I think Sweeney would trade any of last summer's UFA signings if he could find takers. Only Haula might be worth keeping but that's about it..

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Isnt there a rumor that Bergy deal would be 7.5m plus bonus?

And also Krech wont make 7m. But I doubt he accepts a lower pay than Coyle.

Why should he?

Look at how Caps rewarded Ovie

And its different than Chara (later years).... as these two still have gas left in the tank
Doubt that, I mean they would have to have LOW base pay and ALL bonuses to get to that amount 7mil amount. Problem is next year basically we have 7-8 forwards contracts up, and the penalties for these bonuses would apply to next year's cap. It would mean they are basically DOA into the off season next year.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Doubt that, I mean they would have to have LOW base pay and ALL bonuses to get to that amount 7mil amount. Problem is next year basically we have 7-8 forwards contracts up, and the penalties for these bonuses would apply to next year's cap. It would mean they are basically DOA into the off season next year.
Dont forget Pasta contract situation

Don's head must be spinning

If Bergeron and Krejci want to return for one more season/Sweeney can accommodate. Might be a good thing... because Foligno is a goner and other uncluttering will be required.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017

If Bergeron and Krejci want to return/Sweeney can accommodate. Might be a good thing... because Foligno is a goner and other uncluttering will be required.
All depends on young players able to replace these guys at ELCs, if not he'll get himself right back into the same problem of overpaying FAs for lower lines and not having enough for top end talent.

Basically Donnie is on tight rope on a tricycle juggling in one hand, and spinning plates in the other. The question is how many balls he loses and plates he smashes this off season and next while we all pray the line doesnt just completely snap.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
All depends on young players able to replace these guys at ELCs, if not he'll get himself right back into the same problem of overpaying FAs for lower lines and not having enough for top end talent.

Basically Donnie is on tight rope on a tricycle juggling in one hand, and spinning plates in the other. The question is how many balls he loses and plates he smashes this off season and next while we all pray the line doesnt just completely snap.
Good one.

Imo, he is afraid to try to remain competitive while rebuilding on the side

Because he messed up on the earlier drafts

Like I stated earlier. Due to some key vets injuries. Team will be forced to give some of the youths a shot/longer look.

I do understand and like that Bergeron may return. But also wonder why? The team is not setup for success. Especially early. Which can bleed into the rest of the season.

Reactions: mar2kbos

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

This says it all right here. If there is one common denominator during Sweeney's tenure, it's not just that they can't find the right pieces to supplement the roster, they can't find them at the right price.

6 years ago on this board I called Sakic and Sweeney the two worst GMs in hockey. While neither of that is true, both have one huge similarity and one huge difference.

Similarity - They both inherited or fell into a strong core group of players.

Difference - One was able to find the right complimentary players at the right price through trades and free agency to help the core group win.

You look at Colorado and they were really built through trades and free agency. Outside of Round 1 the draft hasn't helped them unless they were using that draft collateral (picks and good prospects) to make more trades.

Sweeney getting back into Round 1 last night was laughable. What could he afford to move that would entice a fellow GM to give up his 1st rounder? The answer was nothing. No 2nd rounders the next two drafts. No core pieces he could afford to part with.

Meanwhile we saw the price Edmonton paid to relieve themselves of Kassian's 2 years at 3.2 million. Can Boston afford to part with future picks to relieve any salary in the form of Foligno, or Smith, or Gryz, or Reilly, or Forbort? I don't see it. Those guys are here. The cap space is spent.

Sweeney has been able to bring in some solid players during his tenure. Guys like Hall, Lindholm, and Coyle. And while he should be given credit for closing those deals, identifying those players was easy. Most of us here can identify who the star/stronger players are in the NHL. That's not rocket science. And you don't need a pile of analytics to know those are strong players.

It's identifying all of the other guys you need to fill out your roster that has been the issue. The list of bad-to-mediocre players they've signed (and some traded for) in the past 7 years is atrocious. It really boggles the mind. Are they that bad at evaluating talent? Do they not see the fallacy of using cap space for basically JAGs. Which is basically a consequence of bad drafting in 2015/16/17/18 and trading away draft picks. No cheap ELC players to supplement the roster.

They are literally banking on help this coming year from 2015/16/17 picks like Zboril, Steen and Studnicka. Guys picked a lifetime ago. Most teams have long since moved on from those drafts.

And when opportunities arise to get a good player from another team who needs to clear cap space you can't take advantage of it because all your cap space is gonzo.

They flushed 4 picks down the toiler in 2016 to bring in Suitcase Stempniak and JM Liles. I won't even get into the disaster of 2015 which they are still paying for. And on and on it goes.

We as fans are literally banking on somehow the front office both convincing a 37-year old Bergeron and 36-year old Krejci AND finding the cap space to fit them in for any hope for the upcoming season. Because the rest of this roster is pretty much set. Think about that for a second.

If I owned a NHL team and find a GM who would take a week's vacation when free agency started I'd hire him on the spot. It's like going to one of those Storage Auctions. Let the other dummies spend all their money on crap and then snag a steal at the end of the day. Use your pro scouting to identify some value players that you can sign for small money and short term. Fill out the bottom 3rd of your roster that way. Any time you stuff a player making north of 1 million in the press box in a cap system it's a problem. Id' wager 90-95% of UFA contracts signed by NHL GMs that have term of 2 years or more and AAV's above 2 million end up being mistakes and that's probably being generous.

But there's the catch. Pro Scouting. I'm not sure how it can be any worse. Like which one of them recommended chasing Broken Nick Foligno last summer after his awful time in Toronto? Which one of them recommended the one-dimensional "Bad Shot" Smith the summer before? Which one said they should trade for Fat Nick Ritchie? Is it all Sweeney or is it a collective effort?

If Sweeney and Neely want to find the right pieces to supplement the roster as they say, then their pro scouting needs an enema. And their philosophy to roster building in a cap system has to change. Period.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

If Bergeron and Krejci want to return for one more season/Sweeney can accommodate. Might be a good thing... because Foligno is a goner and other uncluttering will be required.
Ok, but realize IF that happens with the same three centers, then they again made the decision not play/develop any next generation centers at center. Unless you have them dump and chase with limited ice time on the 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad