Management Sweeney, Neely Talk Offseason Plans at NHL Draft

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Facts are facts. And Sweeney Claus hasn't given us shiny new toys, he's just polished up and re-gifted some old ones. Which I'm very happy about, as it goes. But it still doesn't magic away the weight of all those lumps of coal he put at the bottom of the stocking.
Lindholm? Hall? Those are some shiny new toys he’s given us the past couple of years

Reactions: Over the volcano

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany

Now I have seen it all. Giving Sweeney credit, who pissed cap space away last offseason on bottom six players and third pairing defensemen on contracts they never got before and those even with term, for two Boston Bruins legends signing way under market value because the gm isnt able to free any cap space or working with it carefully. Those signings are 1000 % on Krejci and Bergeron wanting to play for the Bruins again.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Lindholm? Hall? Those are some shiny new toys he’s given us the past couple of years

Oh agreed. I'm just light-heartedly buying into the Christmas analogy that was posted. Don't overthink it.

Although Hall is a good example of what I'm really getting at. He wanted to come here and had the Sabres by the balls. Sweeney didn't have to do much to seal the deal. And Bergy and Krej wanted to stay/return here and were willing to do so at a discount. That's very good fortune for the GM. Does he deserve credit for helping to build/shape an organization where these sorts of players want to play? Yeah, absolutely. But did he work some sort of magic or negotiating wizardry in getting each of these individual deals done? I don't think so.

Reactions: BMC and CDJ

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Do you complain about the cake at kids’ birthday parties?

If the cake had cost $81.5 mil and it was still not good, yeah I would :sarcasm:

If you think I'm being negative on this happy occasion, check my posts in the individual Bergeron and Krejci threads and think again. Taking issue with one particular argument and ongoing problem doesn't negate the joy felt when two of the greatest ever to pull on the black and gold commit once more to the good fight.

Reactions: BMC

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If the cake had cost $81.5 mil and it was still not good, yeah I would :sarcasm:

If you think I'm being negative on this happy occasion, check my posts in the individual Bergeron and Krejci threads and think again. Taking issue with one particular argument and ongoing problem doesn't negate the joy felt when two of the greatest ever to pull on the black and gold commit once more to the good fight.
Still not good? A 107 point team who got better? One really bad contract on the whole team. No one else could be considered overpaid by a million or more.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Now I have seen it all. Giving Sweeney credit, who pissed cap space away last offseason on bottom six players and third pairing defensemen on contracts they never got before and those even with term, for two Boston Bruins legends signing way under market value because the gm isnt able to free any cap space or working with it carefully. Those signings are 1000 % on Krejci and Bergeron wanting to play for the Bruins again.
Sweeney sold it/limited to available capsapce and bonus due to age

Even the Zacha trade signing/trade....may end up about 750k pricier. Doesnt lock him up for more than 1 year (same as Haula contract term) and .... may not be as good

Sweeney can breathe a sigh of relief for now...

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Facts are facts. And Sweeney Claus hasn't given us shiny new toys, he's just polished up and re-gifted some old ones. Which I'm very happy about, as it goes. But it still doesn't magic away the weight of all those lumps of coal he put at the bottom of the stocking.

Lindholm, Swayman, McAvoy, Hall, Zacha…. and boo hoo a “regifted” the Selke winner for 2.5-5 and Krejci - so many of them would only play here despite the GM who built and maintained the place :laugh:

Some people just can’t be happy.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Lindholm, Swayman, McAvoy, Hall, Zacha…. and boo hoo a “regifted” the Selke winner for 2.5-5 and Krejci - so many of them would only play here despite the GM who built and maintained the place :laugh:

Also hopefully DS is evolving

Drafts looks to be improving.....this offseason no crazy/wasted bottom 6 signings

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
So Hall wanted to come to Boston.

Bergeron & Krejci wanted to stay in Boston.

And Sweeney gets no credit for overseeing such a desirable place to play?

I think a lot of the credit belongs to Zdeno Chara & Patrice Bergeron. From what I understand during Chara's time as Captain he really changed the locker room/team culture to be much more player friendly and Bergeron has maintained those changes since becoming Captain.

I'm not saying DS hasn't had anything to with that but I don't think it is as much as Chara & Bergeron's influence.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

What exactly did Sweeney build? I would say he more inherited the majority of what he’s had. Especially for the cup run he was apart of.

Also isn’t the issue that he’s only been able to maintain and not get the team over the edge? Hell the owners and president think so. His status as GM was in question.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I think a lot of the credit belongs to Zdeno Chara & Patrice Bergeron. From what I understand during Chara's time as Captain he really changed the locker room/team culture to be much more player friendly and Bergeron has maintained those changes since becoming Captain.

I'm not saying DS hasn't had something to with that but I don't think it is as much as Chara & Bergeron's influence.
Amazing the twists and turns to deny credit to management today.

Of course Chara and Bergeron deserve credit- not sure why the Sweeney thread is the place for it.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

I'm not saying DS hasn't had something to with that but I don't think it is as much as Chara & Bergeron's influence.

This is correct - and while I'm not a big Sweeney fan he has clearly maintained it and deserves credit for that.

The players deserve credit also, as they've bought in.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
If Sweeney deserves any credit for signing Bergy and Krejci at ridiculous discounts,it's probably because of his decision to axe Cassidy and maintaining the environment he had inherited that made these guys comfortable and happy.

Babajingo

I love this. People thinking the Zacha signing is good. He got the exact same amount of points as Smith last year. Ill give Sweeny about 10% of the credit for signing PB and DK. Shouldn't have let Krecji walk in the first place. or at least knew he was going to walk and done something to replace him (oops sorry forgot about the guy he just traded away). And my dog could've signed Bergeron.
BUT next year is looking great. Only people on contract is Marchand, Hall, Coyle, Debrusk, McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, other D, and Goaltending. If he can find a way to not sign 30-something lead footed players. He is in a great position to "re-tool". Especially if he can sign Pasta, get rid of Debrusk and some of the useless D. But something tells me Mr. Burns will threaten him if he doesn't build a "playoff" team.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I love this. People thinking the Zacha signing is good. He got the exact same amount of points as Smith last year. Ill give Sweeny about 10% of the credit for signing PB and DK. Shouldn't have let Krecji walk in the first place. or at least knew he was going to walk and done something to replace him (oops sorry forgot about the guy he just traded away). And my dog could've signed Bergeron.
BUT next year is looking great. Only people on contract is Marchand, Hall, Coyle, Debrusk, McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, other D, and Goaltending. If he can find a way to not sign 30-something lead footed players. He is in a great position to "re-tool". Especially if he can sign Pasta, get rid of Debrusk and some of the useless D. But something tells me Mr. Burns will threaten him if he doesn't build a "playoff" team.

What kind of dog do you have? I need one of those.

• Haha
Reactions: Babajingo and BMC

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Also hopefully DS is evolving

Drafts looks to be improving.....this offseason no crazy/wasted bottom 6 signings
Definitely think he’s improved and built up a strong organization

If Sweeney deserves any credit for signing Bergy and Krejci at ridiculous discounts,it's probably because of his decision to axe Cassidy and maintaining the environment he had inherited that made these guys comfortable and happy.
Yyyyup

Reactions: rocketdan9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad