Management Sweeney, Neely Talk Offseason Plans at NHL Draft

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
This says it all right here. If there is one common denominator during Sweeney's tenure, it's not just that they can't find the right pieces to supplement the roster, they can't find them at the right price.

6 years ago on this board I called Sakic and Sweeney the two worst GMs in hockey. While neither of that is true, both have one huge similarity and one huge difference.

Similarity - They both inherited or fell into a strong core group of players.

Difference - One was able to find the right complimentary players at the right price through trades and free agency to help the core group win.

You look at Colorado and they were really built through trades and free agency. Outside of Round 1 the draft hasn't helped them unless they were using that draft collateral (picks and good prospects) to make more trades.

Sweeney getting back into Round 1 last night was laughable. What could he afford to move that would entice a fellow GM to give up his 1st rounder? The answer was nothing. No 2nd rounders the next two drafts. No core pieces he could afford to part with.

Meanwhile we saw the price Edmonton paid to relieve themselves of Kassian's 2 years at 3.2 million. Can Boston afford to part with future picks to relieve any salary in the form of Foligno, or Smith, or Gryz, or Reilly, or Forbort? I don't see it. Those guys are here. The cap space is spent.

Sweeney has been able to bring in some solid players during his tenure. Guys like Hall, Lindholm, and Coyle. And while he should be given credit for closing those deals, identifying those players was easy. Most of us here can identify who the star/stronger players are in the NHL. That's not rocket science. And you don't need a pile of analytics to know those are strong players.

It's identifying all of the other guys you need to fill out your roster that has been the issue. The list of bad-to-mediocre players they've signed (and some traded for) in the past 7 years is atrocious. It really boggles the mind. Are they that bad at evaluating talent? Do they not see the fallacy of using cap space for basically JAGs. Which is basically a consequence of bad drafting in 2015/16/17/18 and trading away draft picks. No cheap ELC players to supplement the roster.

They are literally banking on help this coming year from 2015/16/17 picks like Zboril, Steen and Studnicka. Guys picked a lifetime ago. Most teams have long since moved on from those drafts.

And when opportunities arise to get a good player from another team who needs to clear cap space you can't take advantage of it because all your cap space is gonzo.

They flushed 4 picks down the toiler in 2016 to bring in Suitcase Stempniak and JM Liles. I won't even get into the disaster of 2015 which they are still paying for. And on and on it goes.

We as fans are literally banking on somehow the front office both convincing a 37-year old Bergeron and 36-year old Krejci AND finding the cap space to fit them in for any hope for the upcoming season. Because the rest of this roster is pretty much set. Think about that for a second.

If I owned a NHL team and find a GM who would take a week's vacation when free agency started I'd hire him on the spot. It's like going to one of those Storage Auctions. Let the other dummies spend all their money on crap and then snag a steal at the end of the day. Use your pro scouting to identify some value players that you can sign for small money and short term. Fill out the bottom 3rd of your roster that way. Any time you stuff a player making north of 1 million in the press box in a cap system it's a problem. Id' wager 90-95% of UFA contracts signed by NHL GMs that have term of 2 years or more and AAV's above 2 million end up being mistakes and that's probably being generous.

But there's the catch. Pro Scouting. I'm not sure how it can be any worse. Like which one of them recommended chasing Broken Nick Foligno last summer after his awful time in Toronto? Which one of them recommended the one-dimensional "Bad Shot" Smith the summer before? Which one said they should trade for Fat Nick Ritchie? Is it all Sweeney or is it a collective effort?

If Sweeney and Neely want to find the right pieces to supplement the roster as they say, then their pro scouting needs an enema. And their philosophy to roster building in a cap system has to change. Period.
Great post with lots of valid points, nothing new but it needs to be repeated and some points not being questioned enough in this disaster of a FO. At some point in history these 2 clowns will be remembered as the ones who brought down the Bruins.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Disagree big time.

Lindholm-McAvoy pairing for the next 8y will be a big reason of Bruins success.

Are they playing them 27 mins. a night for the next 8 years? Because if not it's a total waste to pair them up together.

Pairing them up and rolling them out just 22-23 minutes a night is like shooting yourself in the foot. Hopefully Monty puts a stop to it.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Are they playing them 27 mins. a night for the next 8 years? Because if not it's a total waste to pair them up together.

Pairing them up and rolling them out just 22-23 minutes a night is like shooting yourself in the foot. Hopefully Monty puts a stop to it.

Paired together it’s a force.

Separated gives you one on the ice for like 80-90% of the game.

Both way, these two will be a big reason of Bruins success for years.

Reactions: BruinDust

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
goaltending has saved the bruins bacon for the past 10 years. No one seems to give enough
credit for how much tuuka rask saved the bruins over the years. He Had been a top 5 goalie
in this league throughtout his tenure as the bruins # 1.
So if you have a strong # 1 goalie, it can correct alot of flaws you have in other areas of your
roster that you neglect. Once your goaltender falls out of the top 5 in the league , you start
to notice problem areas on D & Upfront, those problems were always there.
Lets hope Jeremy Swayman is the real deal or the bruins will be swimming in mediorcacy for
a long time.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
And here we go….

Maybe they’ll ride a boost of new-coach energy from a rejuvenated Jim Montgomery, who’s grateful for a second chance.

Maybe Brad Marchand, Charlie McAvoy, and Matt Grzelcyk will return and play as if they never had major surgeries.

Or maybe that’s all merely more fantasy, on the night on the NHL calendar where every team, even the Stanley Cup champion Avalanche, is guilty of dreaming a little too big.

Right now, it looks this way for the Bruins: They are in danger of falling to the middle of the pack, appearing like a team going the wrong direction, as a few other Atlantic Division teams seem ready to cycle out of their down years.

On a night when the Senators made the biggest move of the offseason so far, pulling two-time 40-goal scorer Alex DeBrincat from the Blackhawks on Friday, and the Red Wings, Sabres, and Canadiens continued to add to their sizable collections of young talent … the Bruins, who dealt their first-rounder to Anaheim in the Hampus Lindholm trade last February, remained on the sidelines.

“You look at some of our players, it’s hard to say we’re going to tear this down,” team president Cam Neely said before the draft opened. He pointed to David Pastrnak — in the last year of his contract, and yet to be signed to a long-term extension — Marchand, Lindholm, McAvoy, Brandon Carlo, Linus Ullmark, and Jeremy Swayman long-term core pieces. “We’ve got guys we feel we can build around right now,” Neely said, “and hopefully keep this train rolling.

“But,” he added, “when you go through what we did from 2011 all the way to ‘22, when you’re in that window and firing off assets and picks, you know you’re going to pay for it. And that’s coming. But hopefully we can find a way to build around those guys … we still feel we have a competitive team, we just have to find the right pieces to help supplement the roster.”

That hasn’t been an issue for the non-playoff Atlantic teams, who have taken their lumps and are making the moves to make Boston sweat.

Ripping off a Chicago team diving headfirst into rebuild mode, Ottawa GM Pierre Dorion stole DeBrincat for the seventh and 39th overall picks this year, and a third-rounder in 2024. To put that return for Chicago in perspective, DeBrincat has 160 goals to his name over the last five years. Pastrnak has 181.

The Senators are building for sustained success, with captain Brady Tkachuk (22), Tim Stützle (20), Drake Batherson (23), Josh Norris (22), Thomas Chabot (25), and Alex Formenton (22), all of whom ranked among their top seven scorers. They have exciting 19-year-old defenseman Jake Sanderson coming. In the coming months, they might build a new arena downtown.

The Red Wings’ stock of talent is similarly enviable, and at some point, GM Steve Yzerman is going to shift his automobile into contention mode. Yzerman has made seven top-15 picks in the last six drafts, Calder Trophy-winning defenseman Moritz Seider (sixth in ‘19) and high-energy, high-IQ Austrian center Marco Kasper, chosen eighth on Friday.

The Sabres felt a buzz at the end of last season, after dealing Jack Eichel to Vegas, and on Friday pulled high-scoring Matthew Savoie out of the WHL Winnipeg at ninth overall. Things are looking up there.

The last-place Canadiens have the longest way to go, but they had a heck of an evening.

Montreal won’t wait that long for its next Cup, will it? Will Buffalo? Detroit? Ottawa?

Now, what about Boston?
2 years in a row of 3rd in divison, 4th in division and 10th overall in the league leads me to believe we already are "middle of the pack"

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Did you know that over the past 10 years, the Avalanche haven’t had a draft pick that wasn’t a first rounder play a single game for them?

Not interested in comparisons, and trying to make the Bruins look better because this or that team sucks at something too. That's weak sauce to me.

But if we are going to look league-wide, then tell me which teams in your opinion have worse current prospect pools than the Bruins? I'd say it's a very very short list. Penguins, for sure, and then ??? Most expert opinion ranks the B's farm somewhere around 25-30th in the league. I've no reason to think otherwise. And that to me is not good enough, even allowing for extenuating factors.

Last edited:

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Two drafts in a row now where it looks like I have little to complain about. Haven't gone too deep on the scouting reports, but like everything I've read. Solid all around.

Have the Bruins turned a corner in their drafting ability?
Ask again in 5 years. However, I am glad they are done picking reaches and fast skating big bodies but no hockey sense players.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Two drafts in a row now where it looks like I have little to complain about. Haven't gone too deep on the scouting reports, but like everything I've read. Solid all around.

Have the Bruins turned a corner in their drafting ability?

It will be interesting to watch this group develop:

Lysell
Poitras
Harrison
Spicer
Locmelis
Brunet
Jellvik
Mast
Gallagher
Gasseau
Edward

Svedeback
Dyck

11 skaters. 13 total picks.
5 centers
2 wingers
4 defenseman (2 LHD, 2 RHD)
2 goalies

Reactions: HustleB

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
This is too many years of zero production from the draft. It has been 6 years since we’ve gotten legit production.

Attachments

• 30AA62D8-B62D-4C50-AF90-D5FD2C4602F4.jpeg
    30AA62D8-B62D-4C50-AF90-D5FD2C4602F4.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 11

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Did they draft anyone that was mentioned here before the draft. Anyone hit on a kid?

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The Bruins just got burned last year by this. Doesn’t this seem to be dragging out to long to you? Unless Bergeron is waiting on something away from hockey you would think he’s had all the convos he needed to have with this family
I agree , this is history repeating we went through this with Krecji ...................

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
This is too many years of zero production from the draft. It has been 6 years since we’ve gotten legit production.
2017 Swayman, Vaak and Stud is not terrible for me. You could drop that from the list. The two most recent years I drop due to TBD. For me that makes the depth of failure a lot more reasonable. Everyone has a bad stretch and often it correlates to late first round picks and traded first round picks. The cost of being a contender.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Hawks fans must be as ecstatic over their GM as Bruin fans here are
I have an idea Bruins should go after Patrick Kane ............... Now the real question , with these two brilliant GMs who gets the better of the deal would be fun and interesting talk............Sweeney has more of a track record than Davidson who closed the cap real fast with that performance this week................

Reactions: ODAAT

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Sweeney said today he didn't want to trade anyone off the roster and that they have no cap room...so it seems pretty safe to assume that there isn't going to be a frenzy.
I dont expect any moves of significance. Please no Foligno type signings. Let the kids compete for two spots (Marchand out, Lazar ufa). Maybe more if they can beat one of the bottom 6 vets

Reactions: BronxBruin

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
goaltending has saved the bruins bacon for the past 10 years. No one seems to give enough
credit for how much tuuka rask saved the bruins over the years. He Had been a top 5 goalie
in this league throughtout his tenure as the bruins # 1
So if you have a strong # 1 goalie, it can correct alot of flaws you have in other areas of your
roster that you neglect. Once your goaltender falls out of the top 5 in the league , you start
to notice problem areas on D & Upfront, those problems were always there.
Lets hope Jeremy Swayman is the real deal or the bruins will be swimming in mediorcacy for
a long time.

Rask was top ten in Vezina voting 5 times.

Top five 3 times.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
All forgiven now? Lol

But also glad Bergy and Krejci provided hometown like discounts

Just need to lockup Pasta now. Sign Zacha

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015

Never more true than it is today...

He pulls off cap magic to sign Bergy and Krejci and Zacha without having to trade anyone..

To get around a bad cap situation of his own making.

If he didn't overpay the 4th line/bottom pairing he wouldn't have to pull the moves he did today. Or he can still pull those moves and get better middle-six players. (hopefully)

I'm ecstatic with the signings today, but it drives me a little crazy that he can pull these kind of deals with the stars and not the scrubs.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Never more true than it is today...

He pulls off cap magic to sign Bergy and Krejci and Zacha without having to trade anyone..

To get around a bad cap situation of his own making.

If he didn't overpay the 4th line/bottom pairing he wouldn't have to pull the moves he did today. Or he can still pull those moves and get better middle-six players. (hopefully)

I'm ecstatic with the signings today, but it drives me a little crazy that he can pull these kind of deals with the stars and not the scrubs.
It is amazing that the big knock on him was how he can’t develop top 6C and how there’s no money to sign anyone - so he locks up two top line talents for a total of 3.5-8 mil combined.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It is amazing that the big knock on him was how he can’t develop top 6C and how there’s no money to sign anyone - so he locks up two top line talents for a total of 3.5-8 mil combined.

Sweeney is damn lucky to have had two top 6 Cs willing to play on the cheap. It's not like he's cleverly convinced them into signing favorable contracts through the powers of his persuasion and negotiation. Rather he's had two guys who love this team and who have voluntarily undersold themselves to play for it. And the bonuses aren't exactly rocket science. Pretty straightforward contract work and cap management there.

Speaking of cap management, the Bruins have their top centers on a combined hit of $3.5 mil for this season, plus Pasta still on a very good value deal, same goes for Marchand, and Swayman on an ECL. And yet despite all these advantages they're still right on the cap limit, with little wiggle room and a roster that still feels short of the very best. Why? Because Sweeney has wasted those benefits on overpaying Coyle, Foligno, Nosek, Reilly and Forbort. He has a whopping $19 mil sunk in bottom 6 forwards and $8 mil in 3rd pair defenders. The Don giveth and the Don taketh away. It's not terrible roster management but it's not great either.

• Haha
Reactions: Over the volcano

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Sweeney is damn lucky to have had two top 6 Cs willing to play on the cheap. It's not like he's cleverly convinced them into signing favorable contracts through the powers of his persuasion and negotiation. Rather he's had two guys who love this team and who have voluntarily undersold themselves to play for it. And the bonuses aren't exactly rocket science. Pretty straightforward contract work and cap management there.

Speaking of cap management, the Bruins have their top centers on a combined hit of $3.5 mil for this season, plus Pasta still on a very good value deal, same goes for Marchand, and Swayman on an ECL. And yet despite all these advantages they're still right on the cap limit, with little wiggle room and a roster that still feels short of the very best. Why? Because Sweeney has wasted those benefits on overpaying Coyle, Foligno, Nosek, Reilly and Forbort. He has a whopping $19 mil sunk in bottom 6 forwards and $8 mil in 3rd pair defenders. The Don giveth and the Don taketh away. It's not terrible roster management but it's not great either.
Like a kid on Christmas afternoon

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Do you complain about the cake at kids’ birthday parties?

Reactions: DominicT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad