Management Sweeney, Neely Talk Offseason Plans at NHL Draft

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I thought Bergeron had already made a decision to return?

The evil Cassidy is gone and I thought that was the holdup?
It was reported that it was a rumored deal by one reporter from a small outlet (Joe MacDonald). Never anything official, and the only bigger names that "reported it" were ones retweeting the initial Joey Mac tweet.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

Lohrei, Lysell to Miss Dev Camp

Two of the Bruins' top prospects will miss next week's Development Camp, according to Sweeney. Defenseman Mason Lohrei (58th overall in 2020) is recovering from a knee procedure and will not participate in any on-ice activities, though he will attend the week-long camp at Warrior Ice Arena. Winger Fabian Lysell (21st overall in 2021) is unlikely to be in Boston as he prepares for the rescheduled 2022 IIHF World Junior Championship in August, during which he'll represent Sweden.

"We've talked to Fabian Lysell. He's going to the World Juniors in August, so that may be too much on his plate to think about making multiple trips," said Sweeney. "Which means he would take the World Juniors and lead right into time with us and then Rookie Camp and such, which, you know, is an extended period of time. So going back and forth may or may not be beneficial to him."

When it comes to where Lysell may start next season, Sweeney said the 19-year-old will ultimately determine that based on his performance this fall.

"He'll determine where he plays next year," said Sweeney. "Boston, Providence, or Vancouver [WHL]. We think he's certainly talented enough to play in any one of those three places, and he's proven he can put up big numbers in the WHL and see if physically he can handle the next steps, be it in Boston or in Providence. We're excited about what his progression will dictate."

Sweeney also mentioned forward Joona Koppanen as a player that could potentially push for playing time at the NHL level next season. The 24-year-old center, selected in the fifth round of the 2016 NHL Draft, has spent parts of the last five seasons with Providence. Koppanen signed a one-year, two-way extension on June 2.

"Joona Koppanen finished the year really well, was contemplating going back [to Europe] and wanted to know what his opportunity was and what it might look like," said Sweeney. "So, there's a player that, in deciding to return, felt close to potentially pushing for an NHL spot. Obviously, we're anticipating that Jack [Studnicka] comes back in the summer, and what the opportunity looks like there.

"We're not forcing Lysells and [Jakub] Laukos and [Johnny] Beechers, but we have a lot of guys that are ready to come in with their ears pinned back and see if they can take a spot. We're excited about that and the opportunity, with the injuries, is certainly going to present itself."

This entire thing right here is why I am thoroughly disgusted with Bruins management and Sweeney as a GM. This motherf***er drafts all these players in the low rounds and hypes them up only to leave them to gestate/rot in the minors and yet meanwhile gives NHL starting opportunities to borderline players like Koppanen. What is the point of drafting players like Studnicka, Lysell, Lauko, Beecher, Steen, and etc and call them valuable prospects in the system if you don't show confidence in them and aren't going to give them opportunities? Like at that point just trade them for new picks/players who will make an impact on this team rather than let them rot.

Stop giving borderline guys like Koppanen and old vets cracks at the line up and start using your top prospects to see what they have in the tank. For f*** sake.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
This entire thing right here is why I am thoroughly disgusted with Bruins management and Sweeney as a GM. This motherf***er drafts all these players in the low rounds and hypes them up only to leave them to gestate/rot in the minors and yet meanwhile gives NHL starting opportunities to borderline players like Koppanen. What is the point of drafting players like Studnicka, Lysell, Lauko, Beecher, Steen, and etc and call them valuable prospects in the system if you don't show confidence in them and aren't going to give them opportunities? Like at that point just trade them for new picks/players who will make an impact on this team rather than let them rot.

Stop giving borderline guys like Koppanen and old vets cracks at the line up and start using your top prospects to see what they have in the tank. For f*** sake.
Lohrei is still in college. Lysell is playing in the World Juniors. Stud and Steen will be on the team. Lauko wasn’t good last year and needs to bounce back. Beecher’s first pro year is this year.

Are you really this fired up because Sweeney said Koppanen is allowed to compete for a spot? Weird hill to die on.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Didnt Sweeney also say he was speaking /dialogue with Krug camp? (2 years ago)

I'll believe it when it happens

…and waiting on Chara’s decision (we find out later that he was already told he wouldn’t be an every day player).

I would love to know the message he’s sending Krejci that he’s “waiting to hear back” on.

How much could they possibly offer in terms of $?

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Lohrei is still in college. Lysell is playing in the World Juniors. Stud and Steen will be on the team. Lauko wasn’t good last year and needs to bounce back. Beecher’s first pro year is this year.

Are you really this fired up because Sweeney said Koppanen is allowed to compete for a spot? Weird hill to die on.

What I find funny is he takes a bunch of prospects who are 22-23-24 years old have been in the system awhile and have been developing like Studnicka, Steen and Lauko and cries they aren't given opportunities. Then cries Koppanen, who is the same age and has been doing the exact same thing (playing in the AHL and developing) and chastises management for considering him as someone who can compete for a spot. What makes Koppanen a "borderline guy" but not Stud/Steen/Lauko?

Weird hill to die on is right.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

The hill I am dying on is that Sweeney has had 6-7 drafts to refill the cupboard and hasn't had any impact players outside of McAvoy and Swayman. Like look at the list of first rounders he's had and how many of them have been duds. Meanwhile everyone around them have gotten better exponentially and the Bruins are now forced to give opportunities to guys like Koppanen. Which again goes to show how terrible Sweeney has been in a.) getting NHL ready prospects to plug in holes and b.) giving opportunities to prospects who have been stuck in the minors. That's the hill I'm dying on. It's that this man can't draft or roster build for shit and the fact that people like you want to look the other way and say "Well gorsh...we got prospects x, y, and z. That's a weird hill for you to die on, hyuk hyuk" shows how this organization gets away with doing consistently dumb shit like not drafting Kyle Connor AND Matt Barzal. Sweeney should be gone for how he has created artificial log jam after artificial log jam while drafting poorly and merely postponing the inevitable sink to the bottom this team needs to have in order to get better.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The hill I am dying on is that Sweeney has had 6-7 drafts to refill the cupboard and hasn't had any impact players outside of McAvoy and Swayman. Like look at the list of first rounders he's had and how many of them have been duds. Meanwhile everyone around them have gotten better exponentially and the Bruins are now forced to give opportunities to guys like Koppanen. Which again goes to show how terrible Sweeney has been in a.) getting NHL ready prospects to plug in holes and b.) giving opportunities to prospects who have been stuck in the minors. That's the hill I'm dying on. It's that this man can't draft or roster build for shit and the fact that people like you want to look the other way and say "Well gorsh...we got prospects x, y, and z. That's a weird hill for you to die on, hyuk hyuk" shows how this organization gets away with doing consistently dumb shit like not drafting Kyle Connor AND Matt Barzal. Sweeney should be gone for how he has created artificial log jam after artificial log jam while drafting poorly and merely postponing the inevitable sink to the bottom this team needs to have in order to get better.
Always 2015…

Did you know that the Penguins have gotten one (1) goal total from all their draft picks since 2016?

But get mad about Koppanen having a chance I guess.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
“He’s only added a top 5 defenseman in the NHL and a young franchise goaltender”

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Something else re: the mention of Koppanen by Sweeney. He just signed a new deal- it was on his mind as an example. I don't think anything more needs to be read into that. I don't particularly care for much of Sweeney's handling of the team these days, but I find it hard to see the mention of Koppanen getting a shot at a roster spot as something worth beating his ass over.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Always 2015…

Did you know that the Penguins have gotten one (1) goal total from all their draft picks since 2016?

But get mad about Koppanen having a chance I guess.

It's not just 2015, although that was an important year even though you want to insist that it's not.

Let's look at the Bruins first round picks since then, shall we:

2016: 14th McAvoy (best player available at that time), 29th Frederic (could've had Kyrou or DeBrincat)
2017: 18th Vaakanainen (could've had Norris or Thomas)
2018: Trade first to Rangers (could've had K'Andre Miller)
2019: 30th John Beecher (could've drafted Artur Kaliyev)

I won't judge the rest because judging a pick 2 years or less in isn't exactly fair. That said...every pick since 2015 outside of McAvoy has been a miss so far when the Bruins could've had a better player. That's why missing on first round picks matters. You can scoff at missing on three picks in a row in 2015 all you want. The fact of the matter is the Bruins have gotten worse because of it and it has been a consistent trend. So hand wave it away all you want, it doesn't change the fact that Don Sweeney f***ed up and you are defending him for it.

“He’s only added a top 5 defenseman in the NHL and a young franchise goaltender”

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

HE ADDED TWO PLAYERS! WHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! WHOOOOOOOPEEEEEEEEEEEE! GET THE DUCK BOATS READY!

In case you haven't noticed , two players can't carry a god damned team to a cup. Why do you think Edmonton was struggling for so long despite having two of the top five players in the league?

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Something else re: the mention of Koppanen by Sweeney. He just signed a new deal- it was on his mind as an example. I don't think anything more needs to be read into that. I don't particularly care for much of Sweeney's handling of the team these days, but I find it hard to see the mention of Koppanen getting a shot at a roster spot as something worth beating his ass over.

Because its like of all the prospect Sweeney thinks is worth giving a shot its f***ing Koppanen? What about all the other "amazing prospects" the Sweenius has drafted in the past 6-7 years? When the f*** are they going to be ready to play in the pros? How long do I have to wait until I see Lauko, Steen, and co play in Boston?

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Because its like of all the prospect Sweeney thinks is worth giving a shot its f***ing Koppanen? What about all the other "amazing prospects" the Sweenius has drafted in the past 6-7 years? When the f*** are they going to be ready to play in the pros? How long do I have to wait until I see Lauko, Steen, and co play in Boston?

Did you read my post, though? I get you hate the guy, and I can understand it to a point, but he was asked this when he just came out of a signing with the ink barely dry for a young player. Why would you read any more into it unless you have an agenda to flog his ass for anything little thing? He does enough to disagree with that we really don't have to nitpick like this do we?

Reactions: EvilDead

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
CD94803E-4449-41CA-955F-292F1BD4631C.gif

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Did you read my post, though? I get you hate the guy, and I can understand it to a point, but he was asked this when he just came out of a signing with the ink barely dry for a young player. Why would you read any more into it unless you have an agenda to flog his ass for anything little thing? He does enough to disagree with that we really don't have to nitpick like this do we?

Fair enough I suppose. I am just flabbergasted that this man got to keep his job as GM and that he is going to lead some sort of rebuild when none of the prospects he's picked outside of two have had any tangible impact on the team. I just don't know how Sweeney has the job security he does.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Agreed...

You'd hope that every player in the system has a legit opportunity to make the NHL roster. I won't say a lot of guys came out of nowhere to be legit players, but it happens.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Fair enough I suppose. I am just flabbergasted that this man got to keep his job as GM and that he is going to lead some sort of rebuild when none of the prospects he's picked outside of two have had any tangible impact on the team. I just don't know how Sweeney has the job security he does.

His buddy Cam and the fact that JJ isn't going to recognize a problem until it's too late...

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

He's what we've got, though. But if you want to see the back of him, take heart: he's sacked two coaches now and used up his get out jail free cards. If the team flounders (by Bruins standards) it won't be on Montgomery, it will be on Don's roster moves with no scapegoating his way out of it.

everett rats

Oct 13, 2017
It's not just 2015, although that was an important year even though you want to insist that it's not.

Let's look at the Bruins first round picks since then, shall we:

2016: 14th McAvoy (best player available at that time), 29th Frederic (could've had Kyrou or DeBrincat)
2017: 18th Vaakanainen (could've had Norris or Thomas)
2018: Trade first to Rangers (could've had K'Andre Miller)
2019: 30th John Beecher (could've drafted Artur Kaliyev)

I won't judge the rest because judging a pick 2 years or less in isn't exactly fair. That said...every pick since 2015 outside of McAvoy has been a miss so far when the Bruins could've had a better player. That's why missing on first round picks matters. You can scoff at missing on three picks in a row in 2015 all you want. The fact of the matter is the Bruins have gotten worse because of it and it has been a consistent trend. So hand wave it away all you want, it doesn't change the fact that Don Sweeney f***ed up and you are defending him for it.

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

HE ADDED TWO PLAYERS! WHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! WHOOOOOOOPEEEEEEEEEEEE! GET THE DUCK BOATS READY!

In case you haven't noticed , two players can't carry a god damned team to a cup. Why do you think Edmonton was struggling for so long despite having two of the top five players in the league?
They could have had debrincat instead took fredric at 29 well I guess the rest of the league then missed out on him as well so how is Sweeney the only one catching flack over that?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They could have had debrincat instead took fredric at 29 well I guess the rest of the league then missed out on him as well so how is Sweeney the only one catching flack over that?
Could you imagine this place if they took a Smurf in round 1? Would be insufferable

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Joonas Kemppainen, one of Sweeney's first acquisitions as GM.

Discounting guys who just got a cup of coffee here, Kemppainen maybe the worst Bruin player we've seen in the post-lockout era. Not one of the pro scouting staffs better finds. Someone here basically coined the term "Zero-zone player" after the great Kemppainen.

I'll never forget the game in Detroit in 2016 where he scored one of his two career goals and Claude Julien played him the most minutes of any forward on the team. (18+ minutes).

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Evil Dead is kinda right, if Koppanen makes the team this team is in trouble. I think both “sides” have really fair points and concerns. I mean Freddy, Steen, Studnicka and McLaughlin should not be passed up by Joona Koppanen. It’s bad enough with mediocre NHL vets, if they start getting blocked by mediocre AHLers there is a huge problem

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
What I find funny is he takes a bunch of prospects who are 22-23-24 years old have been in the system awhile and have been developing like Studnicka, Steen and Lauko and cries they aren't given opportunities. Then cries Koppanen, who is the same age and has been doing the exact same thing (playing in the AHL and developing) and chastises management for considering him as someone who can compete for a spot. What makes Koppanen a "borderline guy" but not Stud/Steen/Lauko?

Weird hill to die on is right.
Bruins have no first and basically no cap room, do you want to hear about Joona Koppanen having a chance to make this team? Is their “farm system” really that bad? A guy that has played 200 games in the A? It’s cringe worthy. Now I’m sure he was brought up because he was “promised a chance” but there are what 2 spots avail if Bergeron re signs? If that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad