Management Sweeney, Neely Talk Offseason Plans at NHL Draft

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC

Babajingo

We NEED ELC contracts to be able to battle it, so we need Steen, Lauko, Studs, Lysell, and Beecher to pay off or they are in serious trouble trying to build a bottom six by FA. We will be overpaying everyone.
Completely agree, should sign a couple of good complimentary FAs and fill the rest with what you hope are good players on ELCs.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Why are you placing Koppanen in the "mediocre box" and placing those other players you name in the "better box"?

Frederic shouldn't even me mentioned he's been on the team full time for two seasons now. If he gets passed by Koppanen (highly doubtful) that's on him, because he's been given more opportunity than he's ever earned with this organization. Got himself a 3-year one-way deal based on really nothing at the NHL level.

You look at the numbers last year in Providence and there isn't exactly a huge gap between Koppanen and Steen who now has a two-year, one-way deal vs. Koppanen and his one-year two-way extension. Like Frederic, if Steen on a one-way gets passed by Koppanen on a two-way that's on him. I think it's safe to assume Steen will make this team over Koppanen based on his contract status alone (both need to clear waivers however).

Studnicka and Koppanen's numbers in Providence last year aren't that far off either. He needs waivers in the fall but we'll see how his contract extension pans out. Like Senyshyn in recent past off-seasons, what that deal looks like (one-way vs. two-way, term) will go a long way to knowing where he stands in the eyes of management. He's looked over-matched an awful lot at the NHL level. I don't think he knows how to throw a proper body check or defend himself from being knocked down.

McLaughlan doesn't need waivers and is basically a first year pro so it's highly plausable Koppanen will break camp over him. No reason to put him above any of the other prospects mentioned. Honestly not a single player mentioned here is anything special. You could toss them all in the "mediocre box".
Koppanen has been in the A for five years. Why didn’t Senny get a shot? Hughes? They were far better A performers than koppanen who finally had a decent season at 24. For Sweeney to bring him up is insulting

This is it for me - no issue at all in itself with Koppanen being mentioned by Sweeney. It's the fact that he's mentioned because there's almost no-one else worth talking about that's the problem. The Bruins' prospect pool is weak. Yeah it's hard to draft quality when you're constantly finishing near the top of the table and you keep giving away your 1sts, but still, it's poor even so. Lysell and Lohrei down the track, Kuntar is of interest, otherwise there's not much to get excited about.

At least last season's draft seemed to go better, so hopefully that trend continues here. Having no 1st hurts though.
Night of the draft, no Bergeron yet, no Krejci, no cap space and I have to hear how Koppanen has a shot at this roster? Dear Lord spare me.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Koppanen has been in the A for five years. Why didn’t Senny get a shot? Hughes? They were far better A performers than koppanen who finally had a decent season at 24. For Sweeney to bring him up is insulting

Night of the draft, no Bergeron yet, no Krejci, no cap space and I have to hear how Koppanen has a shot at this roster? Dear Lord spare me.
Well anything can happen yet if Pittsburgh gave a 6 year deal to a 35 year old.

Reactions: Over the volcano

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

All due respect Lou, Koppanen's first season (2017-18) was mostly in Europe. And to his credit he came over from Europe at an younger age than a lot of guys. Where is Victor Berglund five years since his draft? Still plying his trade in Europe even though he's signed.

I don't see much difference in Koppanen and Steen (same draft year) other than Steen came over a year later. It's probably more insulting he got a 2-year one-way contract with less than 25 NHL games under his belt (although he played OK).

Steen was better in the "A" earlier but development curves are different. I'll be honest I don't know what Steen is. To me he's a warm body. He's not a PKer. He's not really an offensive threat or a shooter. Not a big guy who can hit or fight. A hard-working agitator maybe? I don't know where he fits into an NHL line-up but he's got a one-way deal so here we are he's likely on the team.

Koppanen I think they see a bigger guy (6'5) who can play in the middle and could help out on the 4th line and in a PK role. A guy with a low ceiling but could help out if need be. I honestly don't think he makes the team but they see him as solid depth in the center position and is ready to at least fill-in due to injuries. I think his role is much easier to define than Steen or Hughes (classic AAAA player) or even Studnicka for that matter.

Your guess on Senyshyn is likely as good as mine is. But you could tell the way his contract was handle his last two extensions they had all but given up on him which I really didn't understand.

All that to say I think we'll see Koppanen in a Bruins uniform this season, but him breaking camp with the team would be very surprising.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Your guess on Senyshyn is likely as good as mine is. But you could tell the way his contract was handle his last two extensions they had all but given up on him which I really didn't understand.

All that to say I think we'll see Koppanen in a Bruins uniform this season, but him breaking camp with the team would be very surprising.
I guess it depends on how depleted they are.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I guess it depends on how depleted they are.

Right now I'm assuming Steen and Studnicka make the team based on current roster projections. He's (Koppanen) is probably among the 1st call-ups if they need a center. It's a bit of a younger group in Providence next year Koppanen at 24 will be among the older more seasoned players. Their higher-ceiling prospects like Beecher, Merkulov, Lysell, McLaughlin are all 1st year pros.

I'd rather see Koppanen get a chance than sign some 25-26 year old AHL vet like they seem to sign every year. At least give your own picks a chance.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Right now I'm assuming Steen and Studnicka make the team based on current roster projections. He's (Koppanen) is probably among the 1st call-ups if they need a center. It's a bit of a younger group in Providence next year Koppanen at 24 will be among the older more seasoned players. Their higher-ceiling prospects like Beecher, Merkulov, Lysell, McLaughlin are all 1st year pros.

I'd rather see Koppanen get a chance than sign some 25-26 year old AHL vet like they seem to sign every year. At least give your own picks a chance.
Uh, Beecher's a higher ceiling prospect suddenly? Based on what? Just because we have a nearly empty prospect pool does not mean you slot in JAGs as good prospects. He may get a shot earlier than someone like that normally would, but that doesn't make him a good prospect. He's a 3rd line player at best, IMO.

What your list really shows me is how f***ing badly this organization has screwed up their drafts. That's the real takeaway.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Uh, Beecher's a higher ceiling prospect suddenly? Based on what? Just because we have a nearly empty prospect pool does not mean you slot in JAGs as good prospects. He may get a shot earlier than someone like that normally would, but that doesn't make him a good prospect. He's a 3rd line player at best, IMO.

What your list really shows me is how f***ing badly this organization has screwed up their drafts. That's the real takeaway.

I never said Beecher was a good prospect. I said he had a higher ceiling. He's got plenty of physical tools, strong skater for a bigger guy. I've questioned his hockey sense/decision making going back to his last WJC appearance (2020?). Whatever his final outcome is in pro hockey none will surprise me. He could end up on a scoring line in the NHL, or he might end up plying his trade in the Swiss league.

As for the bolded, you won't get any argument from me on that one. I don't like their drafting philosophy. at all.

Hearing Sweeney wants to get back into Round 1 because they have someone targeted they really like is frankly terrifying.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I never said Beecher was a good prospect. I said he had a higher ceiling. He's got plenty of physical tools, strong skater for a bigger guy. I've questioned his hockey sense/decision making going back to his last WJC appearance (2020?). Whatever his final outcome is in pro hockey none will surprise me. He could end up on a scoring line in the NHL, or he might end up plying his trade in the Swiss league.

As for the bolded, you won't get any argument from me on that one. I don't like their drafting philosophy. at all.

Hearing Sweeney wants to get back into Round 1 because they have someone targeted they really like is frankly terrifying.
Fair enough!

And despite those tools, he's been a bottom 6 player at every stop of his amateur career. So I see no reason to project him as anything other than that...

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Fair enough!

And despite those tools, he's been a bottom 6 player at every stop of his amateur career. So I see no reason to project him as anything other than that...

And I would agree with that but you do come across the scattered player who is just more effective in the professional game than in the amateur ranks. We sometimes see it with guys coming from the AHL to the NHL. Maybe it's playing with more structure that really helps their game, maybe simplifies their on-ice approach. It's rare but not out of the question. And this is coming from someone who has never been a terribly big fan of Beecher based on my own very limited viewings.

Reactions: Gordoff

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
All due respect Lou, Koppanen's first season (2017-18) was mostly in Europe. And to his credit he came over from Europe at an younger age than a lot of guys. Where is Victor Berglund five years since his draft? Still plying his trade in Europe even though he's signed.

I don't see much difference in Koppanen and Steen (same draft year) other than Steen came over a year later. It's probably more insulting he got a 2-year one-way contract with less than 25 NHL games under his belt (although he played OK).

Steen was better in the "A" earlier but development curves are different. I'll be honest I don't know what Steen is. To me he's a warm body. He's not a PKer. He's not really an offensive threat or a shooter. Not a big guy who can hit or fight. A hard-working agitator maybe? I don't know where he fits into an NHL line-up but he's got a one-way deal so here we are he's likely on the team.

Koppanen I think they see a bigger guy (6'5) who can play in the middle and could help out on the 4th line and in a PK role. A guy with a low ceiling but could help out if need be. I honestly don't think he makes the team but they see him as solid depth in the center position and is ready to at least fill-in due to injuries. I think his role is much easier to define than Steen or Hughes (classic AAAA player) or even Studnicka for that matter.

I don't know what to make of Steen either....maybe trade Smith and give him a shot ? If he craps out should be replaceable....

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't know what to make of Steen either....maybe trade Smith and give him a shot ? If he craps out should be replaceable....

I would have zero issue with them shipping Smith out for whatever and creating room for other RWers (including Steen). Studnicka as well.

Reactions: bbfan419

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Fair enough I suppose. I am just flabbergasted that this man got to keep his job as GM and that he is going to lead some sort of rebuild when none of the prospects he's picked outside of two have had any tangible impact on the team. I just don't know how Sweeney has the job security he does.

Photos that compromise JJ? Otherwise I have no clue either..

• Haha
Reactions: EvilDead

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

I’m still hoping one of these guys would beat out Kopanen as a call up.

Reactions: bbfan419

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I’m still hoping one of these guys would beat out Kopanen as a call up.

I'd much rather let 1st year pros get settled in down in Providence get into the routine of the professional game and professional environment. It's a huge difference from NCAA/ CHL especially the off-ice part. Then factor in getting used to living in a new place, etc.

It's one thing if one of them shows enough in camp to break camp with the team. Totally different. But once they go down I'd prefer those 1st year guys stay down if possible until the 2nd half and use the more experienced prospects like Koppanen. Putting 1st year pros, especially the younger ones, on a yo-yo first couple months of the year doesn't do them any favours.

Reactions: MarchysNoseKnows

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I'd much rather let 1st year pros get settled in down in Providence get into the routine of the professional game and professional environment. It's a huge difference from NCAA/ CHL especially the off-ice part. Then factor in getting used to living in a new place, etc.

It's one thing if one of them shows enough in camp to break camp with the team. Totally different. But once they go down I'd prefer those 1st year guys stay down if possible until the 2nd half and use the more experienced prospects like Koppanen. Putting 1st year pros, especially the younger ones, on a yo-yo first couple months of the year doesn't do them any favours.
I agree with most of that, but the premise was a call up, not breaking camp or spending the season in Boston. I don’t want these kids on the roster full time unless one kicks the door down like Bergeron did once upon a time.

Odd note, I’d probably be worried about PEDs if Beecher or McGlaughlin made it. With Merkulov skill can always surprise if the player can be responsible enough. I think his style fits Montgomery but still a very long shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad