Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Wow. Still flabbergast.

Perhaps there was an arrogance, here, in my thought that Krejci would come back. I thought it was a game with the media and other GMs but secretly, a no-brainer, a f***in’ gimmie of a tap-in when you’re two inches from the hole (golf or ah… other). Don’t blame DK, he doesn’t owe this organization squat.

Still torn on if SweeNeely knew or not. If they knew, they *really* played their hand wrong since before expansion.
All in all, I didn’t hate ‘FA Frenzy.’ In a silo, I like each individual signing. Nosek, Haula, Forbert and even Foligno. Ullmark was a surprise but I’m pretty ‘up’ on that move compared to the board. While none were ‘my’ guys, I like each individually and see what the pro scouting department is advising Sweeney to do.

That said, I don’t think this fixes the macro level - it’s a bit like the law of diminishing returns. You can only stick 10 pounds of crap in a 10-pound crap-barrel. The rest overflows and is waste. Sopping wet with inefficiency. Unless there are other moves to be made…

If they knew (DK46) prior to expansion… it stresses to me that they don’t have confidence in their own creativity. They walked into expansion with open protection spots (I would argue) and oodles of cap space; they could have made some creative gambits.

Here they be, up against the cap after addressing the little problems on their roster – not the big problems.

Going into the season at 2C: Coyle. Studnicka. Foligno? Haula?

All present a gamble, but I wonder if:

Marchy-Bergy-Smith
Hall-Stud-Pasta

Can be effective? Smith has show chemistry with those two. Hall the setup guy, Pasta the triggerman does make sense – can Studnicka keep up? Only training camp will tell.

Or if more defensive savvy is needed to let Hall/Pasta do their thing then Coyle… or Haula, I suppose.

Now, if they don’t believe in either rightfully taking the reins, what are they left with for trade assets to address 2C – especially long-term? Really DeBrusk is their best viable asset on the pro roster; the one who seems on the most outskirts of the organization’s tolerance level. As much as I think Gryz has the most trade value, from a non-core piece component, that’s not how I believe they view him. We are left with Jake and it takes the right GM who so happens to need a LW and is willing to take a gamble.

If they explore RFA status, while they have the 3rd from Vladar, they don’t have their own 3rd (OTT, Reilly); so they’d have to reacquire that one to provide an offersheet. Really the only guy is, you guessed it, Reinhart and Florida has just under 8M in space.

There is also Pettersson, who initially I didn’t think was eligible for an offer sheet but according to Sportnet, NHL's Top 13 RFAs of 2021: Latest rumours and reports , he is. But the ‘Nucks have about 14M in capspace – however, they also have to sign Hughes. Is it enough room for both players? Even if it is not, I’m not sure the Bruins have the fortitude to do something like that where they are pushing an AAV north of 8.222M at a player (2 firsts, a second and a third).

And even then, how would they clear the cap necessary to get there? They aren’t moving any of the players they sign signed. Not moving the top line. DeBrusk, 3.675 and John Moore, 2.75 – it doesn’t get you there.

By fixing the smaller issues first, they wasted their best asset – raw cap space. They had significantly more than 2/3rds the league (or more) and their lack of communication, adjacent to their concretized lack of creativity/imagination, now leaves them backed into a corner; their success hangs on too many ‘ifs’ and wishes/prayers.

Now, since this has turned into my ode for Mike/Alberta O’Reilly Fan, I ask the hockey gods a simple, hopeful question – can the Bruins get McAvoy on a steal of a deal? That would leave me with a much better feeling if he gets locked up, long-term.

Very well said. Especially Sweeney's allocation of the cap space available .

Reactions: Flannelman

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
A+ Ullmark (going to be a gem) ... with Swayman as back up, I can't wait!
B+ Foligno
B+ Forbort
A- Haula
A- Nosek
B+ Reilly
A- Hall

Darkhorses to make some noise at camp:

Hughes
Froden
Steen
Vaak
Seny
Special invitee

Last edited:

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Even without Krejci, if this team with its new bottom-six, middle-six signings played the Bruins of last year, they would win in a seven-game series, IMO.

Seems like everyone still wants to be mad at Sweeney or Neely or whomever it might be, but the biggest issue last year was the complete dismay in the bottom-six grouping. There’s a reason why they were on the ice for the most goals against while bleeding opportunities and scoring chances.

It wasn’t a second-line RW or top-six issue. It was a depth and bottom-six issue. The Islanders ran them through the gauntlet every single night of that series and it was ultimately the difference maker. Can’t expect to win games when half of your forward group is consistently, routinely hemmed into their zone.

Each of these players is night and day compared to any of Kuraly, Ritchie or Wagner. All of these guys also hate losing and they show that on the ice. They grind, they go into the dirty areas and they make their presence known. Good skaters, dense frames and good IQ— Nosek, Foligno and Haula.

Curtis Lazar will actually have players on his line he can make plays with and do more than attempt to survive.

Taylor Hall is a legitimate first-line driver locked into a new contract (a great one at that) to be the second-line driver for this team. Hall-Coyle-Smith to start, pending that Coyle’s struggle was related to injury—which makes the most logical sense—is a quality line that can probably hang in there with any other team’s second-line.

Of course, this is still less than three weeks since free agency and the offseason officially began, so there’s still plenty of time to improve even further. I genuinely like all of the moves made by Sweeney and this team so far. They addressed real needs in positions that have become really overlooked.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
They took the 2 dimes and a nickel approach over going for quarters. All they guys they signed are legit NHL players (which is a nice change from the tweener signings.) Clearly betting on depth vs. top end skill and that works - IF - the top end skill players make 75+ games and are fresh for the playoffs. That is a massive gamble for a team with the 1C going on 36 and having recurring groin injuries. The 2D having concussion issues. The 1G having health issues. If they all have a healthy season Sweens will look like a genius. If not he will be called out like MOC after the Scatchard and Zhamnov signings. Huge gamble on health and it's a roster build you would typically do to complement elite youth, not elite vets but time will tell how it plays out. It's funny because in many ways there are parallels to MOC and Sweens - unexpected 1G showing up (Swayman vs. TT).... aging core and budget issues with a thin farm... going all-in with Nylander and Gonchar (that concussion and Gonchar shoulder dislocation stopped them from going to the finals IMO.)... retooling on vet depth to stopgap an unanticipated core transition - Nosek = Grosek back in the day. Sweens and the current front office has better creds in the industry for sure but htat only goes as far as winning and we will see the trajectory of the next 2-3 years this season... I've never been a fan of decent all you can eat buffets, and that's what Sweens has added after a Michelin quality starter. May be good enough, but Coyle sure as hell ain't a Michelin main course as a 2C on a cup team or I'll eat the crow and the branch it was sitting on.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

I do like that he was aggressive with some signings and it looks like they hit a homerun at the draft but IMO he's neglected the defense. I think Forbert will be solid but they needed more. Hopefully he's able to bring in that top 4 left side d-man who can punish the opponent, in time for a nice long playoff run.

I wouldn't be against re-upping him as I feel he's getting better with time, but he's also lived off Bergy and company which isn't a bad thing, lol. I just hope they wait if they do choose to extend him and see how this season plays out first.

This team is deep real deep but Donny needs to give them some help behind the blue-line and its been needed for sometime now. He's added depth on the lines, now he needs to address the defense before the playoffs role around.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Had em at a B dropping it to a C because of losing Krejci. Top 6 takes a big hit and I’m not sure the bottom six is improved either with Coyle sliding up and out of it. Seems like they’re treading water at best

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Had em at a B dropping it to a C because of losing Krejci. Top 6 takes a big hit and I’m not sure the bottom six is improved either with Coyle sliding up and out of it. Seems like they’re treading water at best

Hoping Coyle stays as the third-line center. That's what he is, fools gold to think otherwise

Reactions: Tbaybruin

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
2015 draft F
2016-2021 A-

He’s got better every year

only 3 moves was openly irritated since July 1 2015 (6 weeks after hired and a week after draft )

Two come under the heading ‘Donny, wtf you doing? Even i can’t spin this’

Zac Rinaldo

drafting Frederic

the third was ‘huh, ugh really?’

Picking Vaakanainen over the two obvious guys to me Kristian Vesalainen & Robert Thomas (Vesalainen looks like Finland version of Seny and we all know Thomas)

I endorsed Beleskey & Backes (hey who’s perfect)

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
2015 draft F
2016-2021 A-

only 3 moves was openly irritated since July 1 2015 (6 weeks after hired and a week after draft )

Zac Rinaldo

drafting Frederic

Picking Vaakanainen over the two obvious guys to me Kristian Vesalainen & Robert Thomas (Vesalainen looks like Finland version of Seny and we all know Thomas)

2019 draft is not looking so hot either

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
2015 draft F
2016-2021 A-

Zac Rinaldo

drafting Frederic

What's wrong with Frederic? Not sure what people expect from a 29th overall pick in a weak draft. It's not like they we're 5th and picked Juolevi. Need some context with that one as there's not a whole lot of players that have done anything picked in that range after him. Outside of DeBrincat , who has benefited from reffing changes to help small players no one else available has really done much.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What's wrong with Frederic? Not sure what people expect from a 29th overall pick in a weak draft. It's not like they we're 5th and picked Juolevi. Need some context with that one as there's not a whole lot of players that have done anything picked in that range after him. Outside of DeBrincat , who has benefited from reffing changes to help small players no one else available has really done much.
I was going by my immediate reaction not looking back

I was pissed when they took Bergeron-Clearly in 2003 but that was a couple of hours after they traded their first round pick with Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Cory Perry etc on the board

there were 3 players I wanted at the Frederic pick
Pascal LaBerge
Debrincat
Ryan Lindgren

LaBerge sadly like JFK has had multiple serious concussions and looks like ruined his career - he was a stud

Debrincat stud
Lindgren- amazingly they got him second round

Reactions: b in vancouver

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
2019 draft is not looking so hot either
I hope you are wrong because I just made a pretty big trade in our HFL SIM league to get Beecher

I watched him live a few times and asked 2 scouts neither with Boston about him that factored in me dealing for him and they liked him quite a bit

Where I was draft nights

2016 Fabbro or McAvoy (see above)
2017 no first but Andersson & Lauko good get- @Saxon Eric told me to watch Andersson and boom they took him - Lauko was my preference with Andersson spot but they did get him

2018 Robert Thomas or Kristan Versailanen
2019 My guys at 30 no order
Kaliyev
Beecher
Hoglander
Ryan Johnson
Shane pinto
Matthew Robertson

so they got one of my guys so no complaints

2020 never heard of Lohrei but liked Trevor Kunter at 58 and due to Covid our SIM draft was before NHL and the Bruins backed my pick by taking him at 89

the other guy I liked was Will Cuylle who Rangers drafted 2 picks after Lohrei

from 2016-2021

only the Vaakanainen & Frederic deals did they get a guy who wasn’t on my radar at one - but I had Lindgren with the pick Frederic went and would have been ok with Frederic at the Lindgren pick

I understand the 2015 draft was a catastrophe but 2016-2021 good to very good

the Robert Thomas story is disturbing and who knows maybe cost them that Cup but likely they don’t trade for Coyle who was one of their best forwards during Cup run

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Looks as though Ekholm will remain in Nashville

Nashville Predators: Mattias Ekholm wants to sign contract extension

"I want to be here. I want to stay here," Ekholm said Wednesday during the team's training camp at Centennial Sportsplex. "That's the business of it. My agent is dealing with that with (general manager) David (Poile) and hopefully we can get something done because me and my family really enjoy it here." "I'd rather have it done yesterday," Ekholm said.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I was going by my immediate reaction not looking back

I was pissed when they took Bergeron-Clearly in 2003 but that was a couple of hours after they traded their first round pick with Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Cory Perry etc on the board

there were 3 players I wanted at the Frederic pick
Pascal LaBerge
Debrincat
Ryan Lindgren

LaBerge sadly like JFK has had multiple serious concussions and looks like ruined his career - he was a stud

Debrincat stud
Lindgren- amazingly they got him second round

Makes sense.
Mark Stuart has put together a solid NHL career but that was a head-scratching trade and pick. Any of those guys you mentioned and Bergeron would've been amazing. M. Richards or Getzlaf would've been perfect with a Spoked B on their chest. Either one and Patrice. Such a missed chance.
At the time of the draft I had no idea who Bergeron even was.
I personally like targeting guys like Frederic, JFK, Lindgren, Lauzon, Beecher, Vaakaneinen, etc. with those late 1st/2nd rounders. Guys to groom in the system - as it's hard to find guaranteed NHL talent outside the top 5-10 most years. Team first guys who have the tools, grit and seem coachable. Doesn't always work out but you can't swing for the fences every year and their ability to develop players recently has been excellent.

Debrincat. I tend to shy away from smaller speedier players nowadays - just as the NHL has been bending over backwards to make the game easier for them. It spills over from my frustration with the two rule book system they've employed regarding smaller vs. bigger players - and less to do with the smaller players themselves.

I'm wrong more than right regarding the draft. I unabashedly loved the Hamill pick. The guy was amazing at Everett and was all over the ice in every situation while putting up huge points which was darn tough to do in the WHL at the time. I really liked the DeBrusk pick also as I thought he'd be an automatic 30 goal guy and eventually have a letter on his sweater. Hopefully he bounces back this year.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Makes sense.
Mark Stuart has put together a solid NHL career but that was a head-scratching trade and pick. Any of those guys you mentioned and Bergeron would've been amazing. M. Richards or Getzlaf would've been perfect with a Spoked B on their chest. Either one and Patrice. Such a missed chance.
At the time of the draft I had no idea who Bergeron even was.
I personally like targeting guys like Frederic, JFK, Lindgren, Lauzon, Beecher, Vaakaneinen, etc. with those late 1st/2nd rounders. Guys to groom in the system - as it's hard to find guaranteed NHL talent outside the top 5-10 most years. Team first guys who have the tools, grit and seem coachable. Doesn't always work out but you can't swing for the fences every year and their ability to develop players recently has been excellent.

Debrincat. I tend to shy away from smaller speedier players nowadays - just as the NHL has been bending over backwards to make the game easier for them. It spills over from my frustration with the two rule book system they've employed regarding smaller vs. bigger players - and less to do with the smaller players themselves.

I'm wrong more than right regarding the draft. I unabashedly loved the Hamill pick. The guy was amazing at Everett and was all over the ice in every situation while putting up huge points which was darn tough to do in the WHL at the time. I really liked the DeBrusk pick also as I thought he'd be an automatic 30 goal guy and eventually have a letter on his sweater. Hopefully he bounces back this year.
Here are my picks from 2016 where Bruins picked if I pulled trigger
2016 Fabbro & Lindgren
2017 2nd round Lauko
2018 Thomas
2019 Kaliyev
2020 2nd round Cuylle
2021 Lysell

Kaliyev was top 10 pick many places so at 29-30 gotta do it- everyone can’t be wrong but Beecher was definitely on my 5 or so guys there

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Sweeney & Co have kept the team competitive and a real threat to win it all most years, which
is commendable. That said, with the amazing deals he has signed the entire first line to, not being able to use the
excess money and get missing pieces to win it all has been a failure.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
2016 Fabbro & Lindgren
2017 2nd round Lauko
2018 Thomas
2019 Kaliyev
2020 2nd round Cuylle
2021 Lysell

Kaliyev was top 10 pick many places so at 29-30 gotta do it- everyone can’t be wrong but Beecher was definitely on my 5 or so guys there

I wanted the Bs to draft kaliyev so bad. Honestly was stunned they passed on him. Big knock was words that he lacked the extra effort and I was just reading an article about him a few months back that basically said whatever was said about his work ethic pre draft has completely dismantled.

Looks like he will be a regular in the Kings starting lineup this year.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I wanted the Bs to draft kaliyev so bad. Honestly was stunned they passed on him. Big knock was words that he lacked the extra effort and I was just reading an article about him a few months back that basically said whatever was said about his work ethic pre draft has completely dismantled.

Looks like he will be a regular in the Kings starting lineup this year.

Same, I really wanted him. Top 10 talent but slipped to round 2 because of perceived attitude issues and the Russian factor. 20-something NHL teams are going to be kicking themselves about that next year.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
2016 Fabbro & Lindgren
2017 2nd round Lauko
2018 Thomas
2019 Kaliyev
2020 2nd round Cuylle
2021 Lysell

I'm definitely not as informed hockey-wise as I always used to be. Kids, their million activities and work - tough to find guilt-free time. Essentially quit watching the Premiership and CFL a few years back. Barely watch any NFL as Sunday's are filled with kid's soccer. Spent 45 minutes putting my fantasy team together. Have to do that with the SIM league. I barely even watched the Olympics this year. Make time for The Bruins and have other NHL games on in the background when I'm in my studio ... but my days of deep dives and full days sitting in the pub watching, or pouring through stats - are sadly behind me. I haven''t even really been on here lately.
I try - but really not well-informed anymore.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'm still trying to understand why Sweeney gave a long term big money deal to a goalie with Rask wanting to come back but did nothing to replace Krejci who was clearly moving on.

I hope I'm wrong but I expect to still be wanting this answered in 2022 after a playoff exit.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I'm still trying to understand why Sweeney gave a long term big money deal to a goalie with Rask wanting to come back but did nothing to replace Krejci who was clearly moving on.

I hope I'm wrong but I expect to still be wanting this answered in 2022 after a playoff exit.

If Rask does indeed come back poor Linus will be the 3rd best goalie on the team lol.

Ullmark could do great here who knows, but I never got the contract....kind of like signing a 16 mil dollar vet to back up Mac Jones or something. It's not a move I would have made, but really hoping it works out.,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia