GDT: Sweeney /Julien News Conference 4/14 10AM

Dreghorn2

He's a Good Boy!
Feb 8, 2005
You won't have to hate it he won't be going - heard he won't waive even if they wanted to which they don't

Wow that's tight info, the Bruins have no intention of trading Krejci and if they did he wouldn't waive to any destination.

Thanks.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Never saw a fan base so pumped about keeping a team together that has missed the playoffs for two straight years. You guys are good with battling for the 8 seed for the next couple of years with a core that hasn't given a **** in two years?
What choice do the Bruins have?

Any significant piece that you might want to "move on" from has either a No Movement Clause or a No Trade Clause.

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
I mean ****, Claude is back, fine, but we heard the plan. They still think IF this team can ever get in they can make some noise. The goal is no longer the Stanley Cup it's QUALIFYING for the playoffs. They are going to integrate a kid here and there and maybe UFA if they are lucky and basically accept mediocrity for a couple years and hope all of these kids develop and all that. Ok sounds rational, certainly not a thank God I'm a Bruins fan moment. Problem is then I hear that we are interested in re signing Kevan Miller and Chris Kelly. Again, all good as your #7 d and #13 forwards.

I'll trust in Sweeney, keep my fingers crossed and all that but zero excitement in watching this group as is take another kick at the can.

Someone has to go besides Doug Houda. I saw nothing in these leaders on the team that make me think anything will be different next year.

Add in you are losing a 30 goal scorer more than likely in Eriksson, your second best winger.

Given moves in short sample size and what he has said on the record... What on Earth has given you and reason to "trust in Sweeney" outside blind faith?

Could his first year as GM really go any worse?

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
A GM in his first year gets more power and a coach that has seen two end of the season collapses comes back. I mean I'll watch regardless but I'll have reservations about it until proven wrong.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Wow that's tight info, the Bruins have no intention of trading Krejci and if they did he wouldn't waive to any destination.

Thanks.

just reading that maybe I wont care if my daughter gets another Krejci jersey- sounds like he is a life-ah:handclap:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I mean ****, Claude is back, fine, but we heard the plan. They still think IF this team can ever get in they can make some noise. The goal is no longer the Stanley Cup it's QUALIFYING for the playoffs. They are going to integrate a kid here and there and maybe UFA if they are lucky and basically accept mediocrity for a couple years and hope all of these kids develop and all that. Ok sounds rational, certainly not a thank God I'm a Bruins fan moment. Problem is then I hear that we are interested in re signing Kevan Miller and Chris Kelly. Again, all good as your #7 d and #13 forwards.

I'll trust in Sweeney, keep my fingers crossed and all that but zero excitement in watching this group as is take another kick at the can.

Someone has to go besides Doug Houda. I saw nothing in these leaders on the team that make me think anything will be different next year.

Add in you are losing a 30 goal scorer more than likely in Eriksson, your second best winger.

in 2007 it started with a young group of players all coming together

this is how teams like the old Flyers, recent Bruins, obviously the Islanders dynasty, the powerhouse Oilers, the current Black Hawks evolved.

Chicago sucked for years hit on two top 3 yes TOP THREE picks and bunch of other young players like Seabrooke and Keith.

The Bruins had Bergeron but he was young and a long came Lucic, Krejci, Kessel, Marchand, Wheeler etc

a core of 5 or 6 guys all arriving over a 2-4 year period

Boston will have 5 first rounders in two years likely between 13-18. And at least 4 second rounders- three who look promising.

Add in some college UFAS and the previous draft that had Pastrank and Heinen and its got serious upside

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Connolly-Kelly/Acciari-Hayes

The Binkie Line

Yeah, Connoly and Hayes are real binkies, despite the fact Claude benched them in the most crucial games of the season. Are you sure you even know what you are doing with this stuff?

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Yeah, Connoly and Hayes are real binkies, despite the fact Claude benched them in the most crucial games of the season. Are you sure you even know what you are doing with this stuff?

Jimmy Hayes played in 75 games this year and was invisible in about at least 60 of those - you may want to rethink your stance on him.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Jimmy Hayes played in 75 games this year and was invisible in about at least 60 of those - you may want to rethink your stance on him.

I haven't taken a stance, except to say that a binkie is not someone who was benched. Sure it took too long, sure he sucks. Doesn't make the comment any less stupid when there are plenty of other examples with which WTP can ply his silly shtick.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Never saw a fan base so pumped about keeping a team together that has missed the playoffs for two straight years. You guys are good with battling for the 8 seed for the next couple of years with a core that hasn't given a **** in two years?

Well said. I am now pessimistic about the next season. Maybe Sweeney makes some deals to shore up the defense, but he won't be able to do it without sacrificing talent on the roster (e.g. Spooner, Rask or Marchand) and/or good prospects.

Dreghorn2

He's a Good Boy!
Feb 8, 2005

Good post, tough to disagree with those sentiments.

All i know is that i love the Bruins and i love hockey, but these last two seasons have been horrible, both the end result, and the general style of play.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Lou,

Love you man, but you are off a little.

Sweeney didn't say the goal was to just qualify for the playoffs. He said they should have qualified for the playoffs this year, you get in and then see what happens. Then he went on to say that the goal is to get back to being an "upper echelon" team (think he said Top 5). He admitted they were not anywhere near that this year.

Also, it's pretty obvious that Sweeney is all about "youth integration", but that the kids (and new guys) they bring in have to "get it" and perform. He said if they don't, that's on him and he needs to get players that will. To me that sounded like they were experiencing growing pains in Morrow/C Miller and seemed like a shot at Hayes (because Beleskey fit right in)?? I think if 5 kids showed up at Camp and outplayed the vets consistently, they would make the team.

As far as Kelly and Killer go, Sweeney was pretty vague on that whole thing intentionally. Said they missed Kelly in the room and that he was a "glue guy", but people seemed to miss the part where he said it was all about his health and ability to play. I would not mind Killer back, but only as a 6-7 D at cheap $$. To me, he and McQ are redundant, but both are hurt a lot, so you could probanly get 82 from the pair of them any given season. Killer is what he is, and I would rather have the young D like ROG, Chiller, Carlo playing big minutes in PRO than sitting in the press box in Boston. Although, if the B's brought Ramsey back as an assistant, he showed great ability to get a young guy in that 7th D position ready for the NHL (both 54 and 55).

I would not be surprised if they have a whole new set of assistants, except Essensa.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
in 2007 it started with a young group of players all coming together

this is how teams like the old Flyers, recent Bruins, obviously the Islanders dynasty, the powerhouse Oilers, the current Black Hawks evolved.

Chicago sucked for years hit on two top 3 yes TOP THREE picks and bunch of other young players like Seabrooke and Keith.

The Bruins had Bergeron but he was young and a long came Lucic, Krejci, Kessel, Marchand, Wheeler etc

a core of 5 or 6 guys all arriving over a 2-4 year period

Boston will have 5 first rounders in two years likely between 13-18. And at least 4 second rounders- three who look promising.

Add in some college UFAS and the previous draft that had Pastrank and Heinen and its got serious upside

I do enjoy a lot of the stuff you say, but you have some extremely high hopes that Clode is going to allow most of this to not only enter but thrive in his system.

The bolded is exactly why I wanted a new face with some new ideas and a new voice in his seat.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I do enjoy a lot of the stuff you say, but you have some extremely high hopes that Clode is going to allow most of this to not only enter but thrive in his system.

The bolded is exactly why I wanted a new face with some new ideas and a new voice in his seat.

Don't worry about Clode with the kids. Either Sweeney forces his hand or in two years, which they all need before playing for the big club, Clode might not be here.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Lou,

Love you man, but you are off a little.

Sweeney didn't say the goal was to just qualify for the playoffs. He said they should have qualified for the playoffs this year, you get in and then see what happens. Then he went on to say that the goal is to get back to being an "upper echelon" team (think he said Top 5). He admitted they were not anywhere near that this year.

Also, it's pretty obvious that Sweeney is all about "youth integration", but that the kids (and new guys) they bring in have to "get it" and perform. He said if they don't, that's on him and he needs to get players that will. To me that sounded like they were experiencing growing pains in Morrow/C Miller and seemed like a shot at Hayes (because Beleskey fit right in)?? I think if 5 kids showed up at Camp and outplayed the vets consistently, they would make the team.

As far as Kelly and Killer go, Sweeney was pretty vague on that whole thing intentionally. Said they missed Kelly in the room and that he was a "glue guy", but people seemed to miss the part where he said it was all about his health and ability to play. I would not mind Killer back, but only as a 6-7 D at cheap $$. To me, he and McQ are redundant, but both are hurt a lot, so you could probanly get 82 from the pair of them any given season. Killer is what he is, and I would rather have the young D like ROG, Chiller, Carlo playing big minutes in PRO than sitting in the press box in Boston. Although, if the B's brought Ramsey back as an assistant, he showed great ability to get a young guy in that 7th D position ready for the NHL (both 54 and 55).

I would not be surprised if they have a whole new set of assistants, except Essensa.

Joe, I may print this out and frame it. Then, after the second smug Harvard ********* that has been GM of this team is fired, and you shift your view from tacit agreement with everything he does to realizing what a giant bag of suck he was, I'm going to mail it to you.

And before you say that won't happen, I offer you evidence in how you now view Peter "did you want a full NMC with that extension? No? Are you sure? I'll included one anyways, just in case you change your mind." Chiarelli. You went from willingly drinking his kool aid and asking for seconds to understanding what kind of problem he truly was. So I'll just wait for you to catch up like usual. It'll only be a year or two, so no biggie... :naughty:

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Originally Posted by Hazi View Post
Yes you are right, but the way I'm seeing things, the only reason Sweeney and company decided to keep Claude was because he has been, overall, successful in Boston, and the core guys in the locker room like Bergeron like him. Sweeney got rid of the assistant coaches that support his D to D, neutral zone trap play-style, he is going to potentially get rid of Claude's binkies currently on the roster (not re-signing FAs etc.), and he's hopefully going to shake up this roster into the way he visions how this team should play.

Sweeney and co. believe he's a good coach, and now Claude will have the chance to prove it to them. There will be no more excuses for Claude. No one to fall back on. No more binkies to trust over other players. It's just going to be Claude as the coach with the main goal to coach his team to the playoffs next season with an improved roster (we'll see in the offseason) and hopefully become competitors again in the upcoming years. If Claude fails next season, they'll probably fire him. It'll also be interesting to see who they fill in the vacant coaching positions with.

I hope this is correct, however, there is no evidence that Claude can coach this type of team, and we all know the type of team he prefers. That being the case, why not move on from Claude, and find someone that embraces this type of team ?

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

Hey, they won the cup FIVE years ago, we can't change anything. Sounds like the Chiarelli model.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Given moves in short sample size and what he has said on the record... What on Earth has given you and reason to "trust in Sweeney" outside blind faith?

Could his first year as GM really go any worse?

Could have gone far worse IMO. Could have kept Lucic and not got a good return. Could have played hard ball w Hamilton and not got three future Bruins (early returns extremely positive). Got a very good return for Martin Jones. Beleskey was a nice sign. Gave up four picks for rentals, but they were spread out and we will have EDM 2017 2nd and maybe deal Eriksson's rights for a pick ala Soderberg.

Also, Sweeney is firmly in change and knowing that Neely is not makes me extremely optimistic.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Hey, they won the cup FIVE years ago, we can't change anything. Sounds like the Chiarelli model.

I don't mind the Julien and Sweeeney tandem, but we simply cannot throw the same **** against the wall. If Kevan Miller is re signed and Kelly is to be any more than a #12 forward I will lost some faith. I don't like how the inconsistencies were put on the integration of the young kids. It's always something other than the core. This core is flawed, sorry to say. Problem is, Krejci will never be able to be moved, and Rask, while I don't love him is easily better than any goalie we have or would get back. Marchand is more than likely looking at a long term 7 mil deal as well, and he's not exactly a franchise player.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I still wouldn't be surprised that next weeks press conference with Neely and Jacobs is them announcing the **** canning of both Sweeney and Julian.

It sure feels like this organization has no real leader at this point. Who is in charge? Who's the guy making the decisions?

JJ doesn't know a puck from a hot dog roll, so it's not him. Cam? Charlie Jacobs?

Who? Feels like a minor league operation right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad