GDT: Sweeney /Julien News Conference 4/14 10AM

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
The only potential bright side I see with Sweeney's tenure so far is the drafting.
And that is a HUGE question mark that won't be answered for a few years at the earliest.
If we have the same 6 defensemen we did this year I will personally run him out of New England with pitchfork and torch in hand.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I don't mind the Julien and Sweeeney tandem, but we simply cannot throw the same **** against the wall. If Kevan Miller is re signed and Kelly is to be any more than a #12 forward I will lost some faith. I don't like how the inconsistencies were put on the integration of the young kids. It's always something other than the core. This core is flawed, sorry to say. Problem is, Krejci will never be able to be moved, and Rask, while I don't love him is easily better than any goalie we have or would get back. Marchand is more than likely looking at a long term 7 mil deal as well, and he's not exactly a franchise player.

This team has to move on from Kelly, he is old, smallish, slow, and his body is completely beat up, we need to go young,bigger and faster, if he is resigned, Julien will play him all over the lineup, he can't help himself, he is addicted to these types of low talent grinders. We also should not resign Miller if we retain McQuaid, we already have the NHL's slowest D, once again, Julien loves the K. Miller's of the world, low talent grinders, because it's who he was as a player.

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
Could have gone far worse IMO. Could have kept Lucic and not got a good return. Could have played hard ball w Hamilton and not got three future Bruins (early returns extremely positive). Got a very good return for Martin Jones. Beleskey was a nice sign. Gave up four picks for rentals, but they were spread out and we will have EDM 2017 2nd and maybe deal Eriksson's rights for a pick ala Soderberg.

Also, Sweeney is firmly in change and knowing that Neely is not makes me extremely optimistic.

So glass half-full type?

I suppose you're right. There is always a bright side.

The Titanic could have sunk faster.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I mean ****, Claude is back, fine, but we heard the plan. They still think IF this team can ever get in they can make some noise. The goal is no longer the Stanley Cup it's QUALIFYING for the playoffs. They are going to integrate a kid here and there and maybe UFA if they are lucky and basically accept mediocrity for a couple years and hope all of these kids develop and all that. Ok sounds rational, certainly not a thank God I'm a Bruins fan moment. Problem is then I hear that we are interested in re signing Kevan Miller and Chris Kelly. Again, all good as your #7 d and #13 forwards.

I'll trust in Sweeney, keep my fingers crossed and all that but zero excitement in watching this group as is take another kick at the can.

Someone has to go besides Doug Houda. I saw nothing in these leaders on the team that make me think anything will be different next year.

Add in you are losing a 30 goal scorer more than likely in Eriksson, your second best winger.

WBC8 has been knocking it out of the park on this thread.

I was also worried about some of the language Sweeney used -- about the need to scrape into the playoffs and "doing some damage". At other times, he seemed to suggest we needed to be Cup contenders. It's hard to tell sometimes, but I think his real intent is to get back to the latter.

Last edited:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
WBC8 has been knocking it out of the park on this thread.

I was also worried about some of the language Sweeney used -- about the need to scrape into the playoffs and "doing some damage". At other times, he seemed to suggest we needed to be Cup contenders. It's hard to tell sometimes, but I think his real intent is to get back to the latter.

I think Sweeney gives as little as possible to the media. He's almost as good at clichés as Marc Savard.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I think Sweeney gives as little as possible to the media. He's almost as good at clichés as Marc Savard.

I wish people would see this. He's not going to give up his hand. He still needs to be professional. He can't go and talk bad about his players. People want to know everything. It's not in Sweeneys best interest to give up that info. I got more about what he didn't say than what he did.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I wish people would see this. He's not going to give up his hand. He still needs to be professional. He can't go and talk bad about his players. People want to know everything. It's not in Sweeneys best interest to give up that info. I got more about what he didn't say than what he did.

Didn't he call Lucic a "foundational player" not long before trading him?

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston

I take away more from the ****** blue line he and Claude iced than what he said yesterday.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
This team has to move on from Kelly, he is old, smallish, slow, and his body is completely beat up, we need to go young,bigger and faster, if he is resigned, Julien will play him all over the lineup, he can't help himself, he is addicted to these types of low talent grinders. We also should not resign Miller if we retain McQuaid, we already have the NHL's slowest D, once again, Julien loves the K. Miller's of the world, low talent grinders, because it's who he was as a player.

I wouldn't be surprised if they retained Chris Kelly.... as a coach.

Will be up to Kelly. Turns 36 this year and has had a couple of serious injuries over the past couple of years.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009

Will be up to Kelly. Turns 36 this year and has had a couple of serious injuries over the past couple of years.

In all honesty. I would really prefer this scenario than trying to sign him even if the signing iwould be on the cheap side.
I think Kelly as a coach on this team would be much more valuable because of his significant injuries he has had recently and the age factor too.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
I never really did hear the press conference other than snippets but I hear they are talking about bringing Chris Kelly back. Would be a mistake he was pretty much cooked before he broke the femur, need to cut bait, sign someone else or give the job to a younger guy from the system.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I think this would be an excellent move.

Assuming Sacco and Jarvis won't have their contracts renewed, Kelly either upstairs or taking Sacco's role on the bench would be very smart IMO.

Heck even if they found another coaching role for him in the organization I believe he'd be an asset either way.

He's almost 36, coming off a serious injury. Other than the Bruins you'd have to believe there won't be a great deal of interest in his services as a player.

He might get a PTO, but can't see him getting a guaranteed offer.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

great, whipping boy when he`s playing, now whipping boy if coaching the B`s and they falter:sarcasm:

I agree by the way, he has that presence about him that has me believing coaching would be of interest to him, probably not head coaching but assistant, a guy who`ll take players off to the side and would tirelessly with them, good quality hockey player, can see Sweeney being a guy who fully values him

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Is that an actual possibility?

Sure it is. Like I said, it's up to Kelly. Only he knows how he feels and whether he'd like to have one more kick at the can.

Kelly gets a bum rap here sometimes. And other than the contract, it's undeserving - and really, the contract was not his fault.

Kelly would be a great instructor for the kids. And I think he would make an excellent PK coach.

I don't think Sweeney or Julien would have any problem with Kelly coaching. My understanding is Julien will be allowed to hire his own assistants.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Sure it is. Like I said, it's up to Kelly. Only he knows how he feels and whether he'd like to have one more kick at the can.

Kelly gets a bum rap here sometimes. And other than the contract, it's undeserving - and really, the contract was not his fault.

Kelly would be a great instructor for the kids. And I think he would make an excellent PK coach.

I don't think Sweeney or Julien would have any problem with Kelly coaching. My understanding is Julien will be allowed to hire his own assistants.

I would be a bit concerned about a player with zero coaching experience starting out at the NHL level. But Kelly my be a special case in that he knows the system, knows what is important for the younger players to work on and clearly has a voice in the current locker room.

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
Kelly having his very first coaching assignment here would be stupid.
He is way, Way, WAY too close to the players to ever, ever be objective, or for the players to truly respect his authority.
Let him start in Providence as an assistant or on the road with one of the scouts.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Kelly having his very first coaching assignment here would be stupid.
He is way, Way, WAY too close to the players to ever, ever be objective, or for the players to truly respect his authority.
Let him start in Providence as an assistant or on the road with one of the scouts.

He'd be respected just fine on this club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad