GDT: Sweeney /Julien News Conference 4/14 10AM

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
i never said they had to be great at both. there are plenty of players who are solid defensively and can handle the puck decently. Seidenberg used to be the exact kind of defensman you want. boychuk was the kind of defensman you want. Liles for the short amount of time he was here brought a bit of both. its not just about bringing offense its about bringing speed and vision and a good break out pass. right now chara is hit or miss. seidenberg is too slow to ever have time to make a good pass. mcquaid just doesnt have the talent and k.miller is as likely to pass it to the opponent as his own team. i thought k. miller had the best upside. last year showed promise. this year was erratic to say the least.

So you mean hybrid guys, mostly D guys that don't handle the puck like a grenade? Then we agree. Give me 6 Boychuks circa 2013 and you can pencil in the SCF and probable Cup. Thing is, 2013 Boychuks now go for $6 Million. :(

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So you mean hybrid guys, mostly D guys that don't handle the puck like a grenade? Then we agree. Give me 6 Boychuks circa 2013 and you can pencil in the SCF and probable Cup. Thing is, 2013 Boychuks now go for $6 Million. :(

True if your acquiring all 6 Boychuks through free agency.

But if you can develop some of your own to augment with the ones you already have, then it doesn't cost 30-35 million for this D corps.

Problem is this team hasn't developed any D-men, Boychuks or otherwise, in two seasons now.

If they had even just put their trust in one of Morrow or C.Miller to be a 3rd pairing guy this past year game-in game-out, this team would be much better off. Too bad they can't pencil either of them into their top 6 next year as it stands right now.

Sure sounds like their won't be any developed next year either when you hear Sweeney say he has interest in bringing Kevan Miller back.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

But if you can develop some of your own to augment with the ones you already have, then it doesn't cost 30-35 million for this D corps.

Problem is this team hasn't developed any D-men, Boychuks or otherwise, in two seasons now.

If they had even just put their trust in one of Morrow or C.Miller to be a 3rd pairing guy this past year game-in game-out, this team would be much better off. Too bad they can't pencil either of them into their top 6 next year as it stands right now.

Sure sounds like their won't be any developed next year either when you hear Sweeney say he has interest in bringing Kevan Miller back.

I disagree that C. Miller/Morrow are Boychuk prototypes. And if they are going to be, they need to straighten our their own end in Providence before seeing the big team. Johnny was solid on D before he was going for it on O (and playoffs records aside, he was never really an offensive force here). And that is despite the Avs stupidly trying him at wing.

Also remember, Boychuk didn't make the big team till he was 25-26.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I'm just not as down on a potential fix for this team as many here seem to be.

The Defense was awful this year, but there's only 6 spots on the blueline. Bringing in 2 very good defensemen can go a long way toward fixing things.

They missed the playoffs by a point, were 5th in goals for and got very little of that goal scoring from the back end.

Making a move for a Shattenkirk, Trouba etc. and signing Yandle (I know his faults, but I'm not suggesting he be a 27 minute per night guy) and then slotting everyone else appropriately would change things significantly. I'd even bring back Liles for a year at reasonable terms.

I'd even move Krejci in a deal for Shattenkirk and then sign someone in FA that can fill the 2nd line C slot for a few years ---- Backes? Maybe move McQuaid to open up a space for CM, or O'Gara.

Either way, if the defense next year was;

Shattenkirk - Chara
Yandle - Liles
CM - Krug
Seidenberg/KM

That would be a significant upgrade, IMO.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I disagree that C. Miller/Morrow are Boychuk prototypes. And if they are going to be, they need to straighten our their own end in Providence before seeing the big team. Johnny was solid on D before he was going for it on O (and playoffs records aside, he was never really an offensive force here). And that is despite the Avs stupidly trying him at wing.

Also remember, Boychuk didn't make the big team till he was 26.

Never said either were Boychuk proto-types or even similar players.

But neither of them are small little offensive puck-movers either. Both have size (Morrow 6'1 204, C.Miller 6'1 201) and should be capable of playing a well-rounded game with experience. Don't expect them hit guys the way Boychuk did.

Just saying 2 years of zero development in young cost-effective D-men is really hurting this team right now and it's ability to ice a well-rounded D that can defend and move the puck effectively, basically a modern D-corps, not one built for 2011.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

That is sad and depressing, the 1st press he held a year ago and the hopes I haid vs this current daym feels like a nightmare.
This just has the feel of this is going to be a nothing team for a long time.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm just not as down on a potential fix for this team as many here seem to be.

The Defense was awful this year, but there's only 6 spots on the blueline. Bringing in 2 very good defensemen can go a long way toward fixing things.

They missed the playoffs by a point, were 5th in goals for and got very little of that goal scoring from the back end.

Making a move for a Shattenkirk, Trouba etc. and signing Yandle (I know his faults, but I'm not suggesting he be a 27 minute per night guy) and then slotting everyone else appropriately would change things significantly. I'd even bring back Liles for a year at reasonable terms.

I'd even move Krejci in a deal for Shattenkirk and then sign someone in FA that can fill the 2nd line C slot for a few years ---- Backes? Maybe move McQuaid to open up a space for CM, or O'Gara.

Either way, if the defense next year was;

Shattenkirk - Chara
Yandle - Liles
CM - Krug
Seidenberg/KM

That would be a significant upgrade, IMO.

It would, it there was any chance of Seids and Kevan being healthy scratches with Claude behind the bench.

But there is not.

Subtract Seids and Kevan off this team entirely, and now your onto something.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That is sad and depressing, the 1st press he held a year ago and the hopes I haid vs this current daym feels like a nightmare.

My take on the presser.

Sweeney supports Claude.

And Sweeney is going to try and provide Claude the type of team he has won with in the past. Maybe the composition of the forwards will be a bit different (younger and faster on the wings), but the core elements of sound two-way centermen and big defensively capable D-men will hold true.

Now the sound two-way center thing is probably required regardless of whose coach. That being said, if I was Ryan Spooner I wouldn't be investing in any house purchases in the Boston area anytime soon.

But if he thinks outfitting this team with a bunch of slow defensive D-men who are sound in their own zone but can't get the puck up to the forwards is a recipe for success in today's game, he's out to lunch.

And if Claude is such a great coach (and I believe he is very good) than he should be able to make a more puck-moving oriented D work, provided those puck-movers are capable D-men.

Elmer

Dec 18, 2014
Boston
Well, Claude did say that the NHL was not the league to develop younger players. When they get up here they should be ready to play. So there's that.

CgAjBKsUYAECj9u.jpg:large

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
My take on the presser.

Sweeney supports Claude.

And Sweeney is going to try and provide Claude the type of team he has won with in the past. Maybe the composition of the forwards will be a bit different (younger and faster on the wings), but the core elements of sound two-way centermen and big defensively capable D-men will hold true.

Now the sound two-way center thing is probably required regardless of whose coach. That being said, if I was Ryan Spooner I wouldn't be investing in any house purchases in the Boston area anytime soon.

But if he thinks outfitting this team with a bunch of slow defensive D-men who are sound in their own zone but can't get the puck up to the forwards is a recipe for success in today's game, he's out to lunch.

And if Claude is such a great coach (and I believe he is very good) than he should be able to make a more puck-moving oriented D work, provided those puck-movers are capable D-men.

Last year when he was talking of Chicago and Tampa, the way they play, developing young players and playing players that have earned those minutes I was yes there's hope, but now year after it's a different feeling, we are staying with this let's just throw the puck away and hope for the best transition and prefering vets over young players/developing.

Well, Claude did say that the NHL was not the league to develop younger players. When they get up here they should be ready to play. So there's that.

CgAjBKsUYAECj9u.jpg:large

A bit difficult to expect them to be right away ready for top4 roles.
Have a strong top4 and use the 3rd pairing for developing, but that seems like a dream.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Last year when he was talking of Chicago and Tampa, the way they play, developing young players and playing players that have earned those minutes I was yes there's hope, but now year after it's a different feeling, we are staying with this let's just throw the puck away and hope for the best transition and prefering vets over young players/developing.

A bit difficult to expect them to be right away ready for top4 roles.
Have a strong top4 and use the 3rd pairing for developing, but that seems like a dream.

Even if they used just one of those two spots on the 3rd pair to develop a young guy they would be better off.

Instead they threw one young guy (Trotman) to the wolves up on the 1st pair with Chara.

Meanwhile they flip-floped C.Miller and Morrow so much on the 3rd pair neither gained any traction.

Julien didn't have the horses on the back-end this year, no question, but he didn't do much to help his cause either.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
My take on the presser.

Sweeney supports Claude.

This is where the rubber meets the road. Didn't he come out of camp with Colin Miller on the roster? No reason to think Julien wouldn't be successful with quality puck-moving D. The issue is twofold - can Sweeney get him any? And if not, will Julien stick with kids who maybe have the tools but need a lot more seasoning? This season showed me he will play those guys some, but maybe not as much as some of us would like.

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
I really like the forwards on this team (although still lacking a sniper or "true elite" power forward - Beleskey is a poor man's power forward)...I think they have depth (especially if Stempniak and/or Eriksson is resigned).

But the D - yuk. Bottom line is Chara and Seidenberg are ready for the glue factory and if Sweeney can't move them, that is what he means by another "TRANSITIONAL" year.

We have the cash now - there is NO EXCUSE not to rebuild the D.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This is where the rubber meets the road. Didn't he come out of camp with Colin Miller on the roster? No reason to think Julien wouldn't be successful with quality puck-moving D. The issue is twofold - can Sweeney get him any? And if not, will Julien stick with kids who maybe have the tools but need a lot more seasoning? This season showed me he will play those guys some, but maybe not as much as some of us would like.

He will play them some, just not if he has other options to choose from.

Make no mistake, if they had a acquired a veteran stay-at-home guy at the deadline instead of a veteran puck-mover in Liles, it still would of been Morrow watching from the press-box.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Forgive me...but is it a given that we're gonna have both Yandle and Shattenkirk on this roster is it? Because to me, both of those guys will come in at well over $5M+...how are they meant to fall under the cap? Neither will take a discount to play here.

ps I am not disappointed in seeing Houda 'get the ass'. I thought all along if the D is a train wreck, our breakouts suck, and they're still going D to D behind the net that every team knows we do, then the D coach needs to feel the burn. Sacco should get the can too just cos I hate his face and our PP went from god-like to god awful.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston

I'll settle for 6 guys like Colin Miller and Joe Morrow. We're not winning a Cup this year. Let's at least play guys with the right skillsets to be good NHLers rather than McQuaid and Kevan Miller who have a 0% chance of developing those skills. But we just kept the wrong coach for that philosophy.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
I'll settle for 6 guys like Colin Miller and Joe Morrow. We're not winning a Cup this year. Let's at least play guys with the right skillsets to be good NHLers rather than McQuaid and Kevan Miller who have a 0% chance of developing those skills. But we just kept the wrong coach for that philosophy.

Problem is Quaider was signed to a new deal, and I feel like KM is going to get something similar if not more.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Yes you are right, but the way I'm seeing things, the only reason Sweeney and company decided to keep Claude was because he has been, overall, successful in Boston, and the core guys in the locker room like Bergeron like him. Sweeney got rid of the assistant coaches that support his D to D, neutral zone trap play-style, he is going to potentially get rid of Claude's binkies currently on the roster (not re-signing FAs etc.), and he's hopefully going to shake up this roster into the way he visions how this team should play.

Sweeney and co. believe he's a good coach, and now Claude will have the chance to prove it to them. There will be no more excuses for Claude. No one to fall back on. No more binkies to trust over other players. It's just going to be Claude as the coach with the main goal to coach his team to the playoffs next season with an improved roster (we'll see in the offseason) and hopefully become competitors again in the upcoming years. If Claude fails next season, they'll probably fire him. It'll also be interesting to see who they fill in the vacant coaching positions with.

These things definitely have to happen for there to be any chance of success next season.

I for one hope that Spooner stays because the Bruins need him IMO and he has progressed nicely

If the Bruins have any hope of improving the team's defense, then some player(s) of worth will have to be dealt. I like Spooner and hope that he stays, but I also realize that he may be traded to shore up the defense.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007

No Claude will really really really change this time :cry:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Forgive me...but is it a given that we're gonna have both Yandle and Shattenkirk on this roster is it? Because to me, both of those guys will come in at well over $5M+...how are they meant to fall under the cap? Neither will take a discount to play here.

ps I am not disappointed in seeing Houda 'get the ass'. I thought all along if the D is a train wreck, our breakouts suck, and they're still going D to D behind the net that every team knows we do, then the D coach needs to feel the burn. Sacco should get the can too just cos I hate his face and our PP went from god-like to god awful.

The cap question, Shatt has 1 year left with his current contract so Yandle's contract would be the only one to kick in for next season.

We had few mills cap space during this season with a normal sized roster,
Kelly 3M cap hit is going to drop, Lucic 2.7M, cap penalty .900M, off the books and probably Erikssons 4.5M cap hit.
Only bigger re-signing from this current lineup then is Krug and he gets what max 1.5M raise, the cap space we had left would take care of that, + add the potential cap raise and Yandle+Shatt would take 2 spots from the rosters, so they wouldn't be pure 5M+ cap addings to this roster.

Year after Chara drops to 4m and leaves 3M on the table, and we should see lot of prospects on ELC in the lineup and forwards, Heinen+Vatrano atleast and a cheap 4th line.
+buy out Seids.

Cap wouldn't be the problem for Shatt+Yandle additions, it's how are you going to get them and will Sweeney even try to add them.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
The cap question, Shatt has 1 year left with his current contract so Yandle's contract would be the only one to kick in for next season.

We had few mills cap space during this season with a normal sized roster,
Kelly 3M cap hit is going to drop, Lucic 2.7M, cap penalty .900M, off the books and probably Erikssons 4.5M cap hit.
Only bigger re-signing from this current lineup then is Krug and he gets what max 1.5M raise, the cap space we had left would take care of that, + add the potential cap raise and Yandle+Shatt would take 2 spots from the rosters, so they wouldn't be pure 5M+ cap addings to this roster.

Year after Chara drops to 4m and leaves 3M on the table, and we should see lot of prospects on ELC in the lineup and forwards, Heinen+Vatrano atleast and a cheap 4th line.
+buy out Seids.

Cap wouldn't be the problem for Shatt+Yandle additions, it's how are you going to get them and will Sweeney even try to add them.

Question. How are we getting Shattenkirk? St Louis aren't going to just give him to us, and there will be 28 other teams on the phone, some with a **** tonne more valuable pieces to give up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad