GDT: Sweeney /Julien News Conference 4/14 10AM

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I'm just not as down on a potential fix for this team as many here seem to be.

The Defense was awful this year, but there's only 6 spots on the blueline. Bringing in 2 very good defensemen can go a long way toward fixing things.

They missed the playoffs by a point, were 5th in goals for and got very little of that goal scoring from the back end.

Making a move for a Shattenkirk, Trouba etc. and signing Yandle (I know his faults, but I'm not suggesting he be a 27 minute per night guy) and then slotting everyone else appropriately would change things significantly. I'd even bring back Liles for a year at reasonable terms.

I'd even move Krejci in a deal for Shattenkirk and then sign someone in FA that can fill the 2nd line C slot for a few years ---- Backes? Maybe move McQuaid to open up a space for CM, or O'Gara.

Either way, if the defense next year was;

Shattenkirk - Chara
Yandle - Liles
CM - Krug
Seidenberg/KM

That would be a significant upgrade, IMO.

I'm totally with your line of thinking, Al.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Question. How are we getting Shattenkirk? St Louis aren't going to just give him to us, and there will be 28 other teams on the phone, some with a **** tonne more valuable pieces to give up.

Like I said the question is how do you get Shattenkirk, if Blues Gm if wise he creates a bidding war for him, 2 playoff 1st round picks shouldn't be very interesting for them.

I just tried to explain that the cap wouldn't be the problem, it's how you get them.
Our focus on spending should be on defense and getting 2 players that can play on the top pairing and aren't close to being way past their prime.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
Like I said the question is how do you get Shattenkirk, if Blues Gm if wise he creates a bidding war for him, 2 playoff 1st round picks shouldn't be very interesting for them.

I just tried to explain that the cap wouldn't be the problem, it's how you get them.
Our focus on spending should be on defense and getting 2 players that can play on the top pairing and aren't close to being way past their prime.

Although I'd hate to see him go, I think something around Krejci can get it done with St. Louis. They are Ok on D, but they need some center help. Krejci could be that guy for them. We'd have to PRAY that Spooner could step into his role permanently, though.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Although I'd hate to see him go, I think something around Krejci can get it done with St. Louis. They are Ok on D, but they need some center help. Krejci could be that guy for them. We'd have to PRAY that Spooner could step into his role permanently, though.

Im not sold on Spooner as second in line to Bergy. That puts Czarnik as 3rd line C and we are looking small and fragile. Id actually rather send Spooner to St Louis for Shattenkirk. Obviously that alone doesn't get it done but its a start. I don't mortgage the farm for him though, hes not the missing piece that is going to launch us, he is one of them.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Im not sold on Spooner as second in line to Bergy. That puts Czarnik as 3rd line C and we are looking small and fragile. Id actually rather send Spooner to St Louis for Shattenkirk.

Then Claude will slot in Kelly or Talbot as 3rd lines centers.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

If you want value you need to be willing to put valuable players/assets on the table, and I think Krejci/Spooner+ need to be on the table this offseason.
Krejcis contract makes him harder to trade, but Spooner doesn't have the same value so he'd be Spooner+.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
I don't really see a problem with the "overhaul" comment. I take it as the safe answer. First, people will have varying opinions on what constitutes an overhaul. This means that no matter what Sweeney does, there will be people who aren't happy. Secondly, if he says an overhaul is required and for some reason can't deliver, he will have to answer to fans, media, and most importantly, the players because he is essentially admitting that the team sucks. How will he be able to face the same group after that and how will they respond to him. Finally, it's a simple under-promise, over-deliver approach. Sweeney knows this team has some serious flaws that need to be addressed and he will try to do that this summer...............I hope.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I don't really see a problem with the "overhaul" comment. I take it as the safe answer. First, people will have varying opinions on what constitutes an overhaul. This means that no matter what Sweeney does, there will be people who aren't happy. Secondly, if he says an overhaul is required and for some reason can't deliver, he will have to answer to fans, media, and most importantly, the players because he is essentially admitting that the team sucks. How will he be able to face the same group after that and how will they respond to him. Finally, it's a simple under-promise, over-deliver approach. Sweeney knows this team has some serious flaws that need to be addressed and he will try to do that this summer...............I hope.

You don't think this team will be fixed in one year right? He didn't say how long it would take.

Dynasty

Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
I for one will be elated if he stays. He deserves to stay. He earnt it this year to stay, he cant play for the players, the players played awful, its not like it was the 'system' that let them down. I give him a hall pass on being a bit reluctant to play the young guys automatically, the D was awful to begin with, guys weak on their sticks or prone to errors are only going to further weaken that, and lets not forget, its his ass on the line too. These players will get a pass for being young, Clode doesn't get a pass, he wants to stay in Boston, he wants to remain coach here, I can forgive him for maybe trying to prevent the other teams from blowing the doors off the scoreboard every night.

Totally agree with this. It's a bit of a miracle that Claude was only one point away from taking this team to the playoffs, given the tremendous lack of talent/under developed talent on this team. He is an outstanding coach and would be offered a job within 30 seconds of being fired by the Bruins. The fact that Sweeney realizes this gives me tremendous hope for the future of the team. and by the future I mean at least 3 - 4 years down the road.

I'm sick and tired of short sighted fans expecting a very non-contending team to be a contender for the cup. The times have changed in the New NHL and it takes time to develop a real contending team. Gone are the times when you could buy yourself, more or less, a free pass to the Stanley cup final.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I thought Sweeney said mostly the right things in his conference. Obviously keeping Julien was a no-brainer, so it is encouraging to see Sweeney not looking for a scapegoat and making a rash move that would be bad for the organization. This will be a huge offseason for him. If he is unable to make the necessary moves to shore up the defense then it will not matter what words are spoken or who is coach. The Bs will be back where they have been the past two seasons. It seems like Sweeney understands the team needs. Should really be an interesting summer.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
very good news
Bruins will get another top 14 picks next years and
Clode will make history becoming the first bruins coach to miss playoffs 3 years in a row
It is interesting to read all excuses that clode lovers will find to explain why he is not responsible for anything ))) just for all of that, keep clode !!!!

False.

Milt Schmidt missed the playoffs 4 years in a row, and 6 out of 7 years, and that when only 2 out of 6 teams missed the playoffs...

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Totally agree with this. It's a bit of a miracle that Claude was only one point away from taking this team to the playoffs, given the tremendous lack of talent/under developed talent on this team. He is an outstanding coach and would be offered a job within 30 seconds of being fired by the Bruins. The fact that Sweeney realizes this gives me tremendous hope for the future of the team. and by the future I mean at least 3 - 4 years down the road.

I'm sick and tired of short sighted fans expecting a very non-contending team to be a contender for the cup. The times have changed in the New NHL and it takes time to develop a real contending team. Gone are the times when you could buy yourself, more or less, a free pass to the Stanley cup final.

Anyone recall how the B's did during Marchand's suspension?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

You won't have to hate it he won't be going - heard he won't waive even if they wanted to which they don't

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Other than the "take away the first 3/last 13 games comment" I thought they both spoke well. Nice to see him decisive about Clode and seemed to take accountability.

When you factor in McQuaid's contract, likely a decent raise for Krug and the significant needs we have defensively I think spending anything above minimum for another bottom pair defenseman is nuts. So when I hear anything regarding "negotiations" with Kevan Miller, I get a little cross eyed.

I think he was choosing his words carefully but I definitely got the impression Rask's days are numbered in this jersey.

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
Never said either were Boychuk proto-types or even similar players.

But neither of them are small little offensive puck-movers either. Both have size (Morrow 6'1 204, C.Miller 6'1 201) and should be capable of playing a well-rounded game with experience. Don't expect them hit guys the way Boychuk did.

Just saying 2 years of zero development in young cost-effective D-men is really hurting this team right now and it's ability to ice a well-rounded D that can defend and move the puck effectively, basically a modern D-corps, not one built for 2011.

This makes so much sense.

A lot of problems facing team started years ago - and can be traced to folks responsible, GM, coach or otherwise.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Never saw a fan base so pumped about keeping a team together that has missed the playoffs for two straight years. You guys are good with battling for the 8 seed for the next couple of years with a core that hasn't given a **** in two years?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Never saw a fan base so pumped about keeping a team together that has missed the playoffs for two straight years. You guys are good with battling for the 8 seed for the next couple of years with a core that hasn't given a **** in two years?

Sad, isn't it? I'm honestly surprised they haven't planned a ****ing parade already.

GET THE DUCK BOATS READY! CLAUDE WILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR!!!!

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Sad, isn't it? I'm honestly surprised they haven't planned a ****ing parade already.

GET THE DUCK BOATS READY! CLAUDE WILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR!!!!

I mean ****, Claude is back, fine, but we heard the plan. They still think IF this team can ever get in they can make some noise. The goal is no longer the Stanley Cup it's QUALIFYING for the playoffs. They are going to integrate a kid here and there and maybe UFA if they are lucky and basically accept mediocrity for a couple years and hope all of these kids develop and all that. Ok sounds rational, certainly not a thank God I'm a Bruins fan moment. Problem is then I hear that we are interested in re signing Kevan Miller and Chris Kelly. Again, all good as your #7 d and #13 forwards.

I'll trust in Sweeney, keep my fingers crossed and all that but zero excitement in watching this group as is take another kick at the can.

Someone has to go besides Doug Houda. I saw nothing in these leaders on the team that make me think anything will be different next year.

Add in you are losing a 30 goal scorer more than likely in Eriksson, your second best winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad