Swedish media: Finland has surpassed Sweden in hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I'm trying to figure out where Czech top 4 would fit .. Hronek, gudas, some, Kempny... 15 to 20.lol

Hronek and Gudas would fit into the Finnish top 6-8 probably, but not in the Swedish. Hronek, Kempny and Gudas would probably be 12-20 in Sweden, but the Czechs certainly have better forwards and goalies than they have defencemen

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I think it wouls take some kind of mental instability to take Edler ahead of Heiskanen or Lindell.

Ekman-Larsson however is amazing. If NHL counted game-winning assists his percentage in Coyotes wins would be ridiculous.

Last edited:

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Ahead of volleyball and basketball? They may have the best hockeyfans, but other sports are huuuuge there.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's ahead of both. I have once asked about this from the latvian reddit board and it was the unanimous answer.

Any Latvian here can confirm this?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Hronek and Gudas would fit into the Finnish top 6-8 probably, but not in the Swedish. Hronek, Kempny and Gudas would probably be 12-20 in Sweden, but the Czechs certainly have better forwards and goalies than they have defencemen
We have good to great wingers. Currently our centre position is looking better than it has for a long time as Krejci and Hertl is a solid 1-2. Faksa is a fantastic 3c. Our goalies are all unproven as consistent NHL starters as of today.

Probably Mrazek signs a nice deal and is a starter but not guaranteed.

Probably rittich is starter in Calgary but not guaranteed.

Hopefully francouz gets 30 games. We have a slew of AHL guys and maybe one makes a jump? It's all hope and not much certainty right now.

King 88

Mar 5, 2010
What??? Finland was done good job and gotten more and more good young players but nowhere near Sweden (yet) :laugh:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Laine-barkov-kapanen
Kakko-kotkaniemi-Hintz
Terävainen-Aho-Granlund
Lehkonen-Koivu-Armia
Komarov-haula-filppula

Heiskanen-lindell
Ristolainen-nutivaara
Jokiharju-Vatanen
Niku-Valimaki

Rask
Rinne
Rantanen and Donskoi don't make the team?

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Yes exactly, tables are slowly turning since the best Swedes are aging and best Finns are just about to turn 25 or less.

But for now Sweden is a clear #1 in Europe. Teams like Leksand and Frölunda are doing incredible job with youth development.
The popularity of hockey is also declining in Sweden.

Reactions: Husqvarna

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Not looking good for sweden right now. Finland has 10k more licensed players than sweden. 1. More NHL stars, more golds at junior level.

2. Even swedish media is recognizing it as a problem.

It is because too many young males play ****ing soccer. I hate soccer, because 3. we will never be good at that sport, so I want all resources for hockey, but it will never happen. :(

1. Not even close. This might be true for the future (arguable at best), but atm we are still way ahead.

2. Clockbait media. Wennerholm does this every year.

3. So we are not, or have been good at a football/soccer? I mean, we have more medals in the World Cup than England and Spain together. Are they not good at football? Just this past World cup we got to the Quarter Final, in a down year. We won against France in the qualifier, knocking out Netherlands. In the playoffs to the World Cup we knocked out Italy. In the group stage we won the group and knocked out Germany. Then we beat Switzerland. Im not sure we can call ourselves bad at football after kicking out most of the powerhouses in European football.

One more time just to you can let this sink in. In a down year we knocked out Netherlands, Italy, Germany and Switzerland.

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
Guys stop arguing with them, give them the right, yes Finland is the best of the world, they have the best-est of Forward, D and Goalie, they are the super super powerhouse no one could overtake them.

They are the storebror, they produced the super talents every year, and other countries just under produced super start, even the so called Kakko has nothing to prove yet, but praised to the skies, he will be the best-est forward even.

There you go.

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
Guys stop arguing with them, give them the right, yes Finland is the best of the world, they have the best-est of Forward, D and Goalie, they are the super super powerhouse no one could overtake them.

They are the storebror, they produced the super talents every year, and other countries just under produced super start, even the so called Kakko has nothing to prove yet, but praised to the skies, he will be the best-est forward even.

There you go.

I'm good enough with saying Finland has produced the best teams and team players, which is why Finland in 2019 won both U20, WCH and were moral winners of women's WCH. :)

Reactions: Husqvarna

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
That is not true

Comparing to 50s-60s it already has declined a lot. Ice hockey WHC 1960 or 1970 was seen by 83% of the population in Sweden. Im not sure it has regressed since 1994 when football really took over in Sweden though.

Just because football/soccer has become bigger, doesnt mean hockey has become smaller.

My best qualified Guess(!) is that hockey has become smaller in Stockholm, which is seen in media coverage and in general interest since so large % of the population live there. But on the other hand, icehockey is as big as ever in Gothenburg and in Malmo (in skane in general).

Here is a link for more information. Statistik lag 2018/2019 - SHL.se

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
There are only 2 countries on earth where hockey is the undisputed top sport - Canada and Finland. I expect Finland to continue on its roll.
Riley: 2016, the year that hockey died in Canada
In 2013, a Forbes magazine headline shouted, “How Basketball Overtook Hockey As The Most Popular Youth Sport In Canada.” That article quoted a study from 2010, which showed that even back then, the growth of basketball in our country exceeded that of hockey or soccer. In fact, the study stated that basketball was “the most popular team participation sport in Canada among youth between the ages of 12 and 17″ and that “29 per cent of all households in Canada have a household member who participates in basketball.” Six years later, basketball’s growth is only more profound.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Finland is doing well, but there is no parity as of right now and Sweden actually has good young players too. With that said, I am excited for Finland.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019

There you go.
Are you 15 years old? I mean all Finns have said, is that Sweden is currently better, sweden is better, sweden is better. Do you realise it now mr toxic?

We've only said that Finland might catch up pretty soon. Some salty Swedes have been in a big hurry to defend that no, that ain't going to happen. And many of these comments tells about bad insecurity (as in you know it might happen soon).

You clearly have some thing going on against Finland, it's fine but please stop trolling in such a childish way. You make yourself look extremely stupid.

Your first contribution to this topic was "that's the problem with finland, one win and now they are powerhouse"; And the article was written by Swedes :laugh: So clearly we're responsible, in your head, about everything we haven't even said

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Comparing to 50s-60s it already has declined a lot. Ice hockey WHC 1960 or 1970 was seen by 83% of the population in Sweden. Im not sure it has regressed since 1994 when football really took over in Sweden though.

Just because football/soccer has become bigger, doesnt mean hockey has become smaller.

My best qualified Guess(!) is that hockey has become smaller in Stockholm, which is seen in media coverage and in general interest since so large % of the population live there. But on the other hand, icehockey is as big as ever in Gothenburg and in Malmo (in skane in general).

Here is a link for more information. Statistik lag 2018/2019 - SHL.se

Well I live in Stockholm but don’t really see that, but it could be true, hard to argue with the numbers

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Are there yet published any articles in Swedish media about the fact that overwhelming majority of Finnish hockey fans vehemently denies such ridiculous claim originated from Swedish media?

If not, then someone out there should take a hint and rant another click bait. Previous one evidently worked well. Thank you.

For example titled like "De lilla bröderna förnekar att de är stora bröder" ;)

/Thread

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaska

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I think it wouls take some kind of mental instability to take Edler ahead of Heiskanen or Lindell.

Ekman-Larsson however is amazing. If NHL counted game-winning assists his percentage in Coyotes wins would be ridiculous.

Well Elder has more points and mostly better defensive stats, so please explain

member 305909

Isn't it so that the further north you go in Sweden the more popular hockey is compared to football? In Gävle and Luleå hockey is easily #1 sport?

Reactions: Casanova

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Ahead of volleyball and basketball? They may have the best hockeyfans, but other sports are huuuuge there.

Hockey gets the undisputed most attention out all sports by far. Out of 50 most watched sporting broadcasts in Latvia of all time 47 of them were hockey games. Hockey is #1 and its not even close.

Reactions: Casanova
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad