Swedish media: Finland has surpassed Sweden in hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Sweden is always ahead of Finland (on paper) also because it seems that Finnish NHL-players cannot give a shit for joining to a national squad.

I actually hope that Finnish hockey Federation and Liiga teams together would set certain clauses for that responsibility to player contracts.

Faster we get rid of non-essential encumbrance when it comes to NT representation, better. In other words, You're Finnish hockey player going to NHL, you're always obliged by contractual clauses to participate to NT if called up, if you're not playing NHL playoffs.

To remind individual playerss, and to force some kind decent price for the system that really can produce players that can A) play in the NHL, B) beat rosters that are filled with NHL talent, that doesn't appear when requested, C) to optimize hockey world in general to better reflect real talent pool.

For example Kaapo Kakko played 100+ games and that wasn't problem for him, but when free and available NHL millionaire of < 100GP per season is requested... *middle finger*

The point underlined here is that all ALL Finnish players should FEEL they are responsible for that they are the products of the Finnish Pipeline, if they are available. Finnish Hockey federation should contractually and preemptively forbid any clause from player contracts that can prevent a NHL (or any other league) player's participation to an International tournaments in a roster of Team Finland, unless there are clear medical reasons for such decline. NHL teams could buy that privilege tho. With hard money.

Europeans in general should end their slavery to NHL by creation of their own international League (in which NA players are welcomed to join).

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Well Sweden DID win a world cup this year (U18).

But maybe yeah Finland could be to dog right now. Nothing bad with that, just a good goal for Swedish hockey then, to get back up on the Nordic top in the future.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Well Sweden DID win a world cup this year (U18).

But maybe yeah Finland could be to dog right now. Nothing bad with that, just a good goal for Swedish hockey then, to get back up on the Nordic top in the future.

Finland still are nowhere close, Sweden won the world championships in 2017, 2018 and 2013, in that time they only have one win, and we have dominated them on best on best. Looking at NHL talent and depth Sweden crush Finland

Tmu84

- Tmuussoni
Feb 2, 2011
Funland
As a Finn I am not ashamed to admit if there was a best-on-best tournament today Sweden has the edge. Team Sweden's D corps is just insane. And sorry, but no, this years IIHF WC gold tells nothing about best-on-best tournaments. I think the gap was closest during 2006 in Torino, but sadly that d@mn Nicklas Lindstrom game winning goal is still haunting me in my dreams :laugh:

That said, it is pretty nice improvement for team Finland compared to where we were 5 years ago!

Edit: it is strangely satisfying to see that Sweden's tabloids papers are equally full of rubbish as the equivalent Finnish tabloids :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaska

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
This kind of stuff is pretty cyclical unless you're a big country like Canada, the US or Russia. Finland has a boom of young talent right now while our last major one was probably between 2008 - 2013 or something like that. Few countries will keep producing year after year without some relative down time.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
This kind of stuff is pretty cyclical unless you're a big country like Canada, the US or Russia. Finland has a boom of young talent right now while our last major one was probably between 2008 - 2013 or something like that. Few countries will keep producing year after year without some relative down time.

6 swedes in the first round last year..Fin, Rus and Cze had 7 combined..

Reactions: AB13 and rickardr

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

Sweden always produce more and better than Russia and the US especially

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
And sorry, but no, this years IIHF WC gold tells nothing about best-on-best tournaments.

I disagree. It's still the same, low-scoring sport they play in best-on-best tournaments, and this was a perfect example of how the team with the worse roster can win. Sweden's roster in Kosice was way more superior to Finland's than it would be in a best-on-best. There were plenty of guys on that Swedish team who would also represent Sweden in a best-on-best. Probably about 10? Meanwhile Finland only had Kaapo Kakko, and maybe Mikko Lehtonen could be considered.

There were plenty of Finns on this forum for instance who said prior to the quarter-final that Finland has absolutely no chance or that Finland beating Sweden would be "a miracle". They just displayed their complete and utter inability to understand probabilities.

Last edited:

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I disagree. It's still the same, low-scoring sport they play in best-on-best tournaments, and this was a perfect example of how the team with the worse roster can win. Sweden's roster in Kosice was way more superior to Finland's than it would be in a best-on-best. There were plenty of guys on that Swedish team who would also represent Sweden in a best-on-best. Probably about 10? Meanwhile Finland only had Kaapo Kakko, and maybe Mikko Lehtonen could be considered.

There were plenty of Finns on this forum for instance who said prior to the quarter-final that Finland has absolutely no chance or that Finland beating Sweden would be "a miracle". They just displayed their complete and utter inability to understand probabilities.
I'd give the Finns edge in forwards and in net in a best-on-best match.

Reactions: KappoTheGoat

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
We have not beat Sweden in Best vs Best tournament since....what, 1998?

This has to change in order for Finland to be better than Sweden.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Sweden is always ahead of Finland (on paper) also because it seems that Finnish NHL-players cannot give a **** for joining to a national squad.

Finland had 7 NHLers in Herning just last year. You should treat this year as an anomaly before you get evidence that points to the contrary.

Reactions: Jussi and LAINEC

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
We have not beat Sweden in Best vs Best tournament since....what, 1998?

This has to change in order for Finland to be better than Sweden.

There is no proper best vs best tournament held anymore since the NHL players were lost from the Olympics. And World Cup I wouldn't rate highly either as players are just returning back from summer holidays and besides, the World Cup is held once every 12 years or so. Really the closest thing to a regular best vs best tournament left now is probably the U20 champs, where Finland has taken three golds in the last five years.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
You are complaining about production of talent, and here i am sitting sadly, as a czech guy and looking at 2019 draft with 7 players drafted in 4th-7th round. Seriously, even german defender is better than our best 2001 D prospect Martin Has, drafted a n. 153 overall, and czech hockey federation boss Tomas Kral said in 2017, that czech hockey is experiencing a new reinassance, and quickly catching up to Sweden and Finland. Looks like czech hockey is done after czech soccer and it is getting worse.

Reactions: Lepardi

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I think its safe to say that whenever Sweden and Finland meet the outcome is completely unpredictible. I have the the outmost respect for finnish hockey, and I am amazed of the recent U20 success (and about the latest worlds), and I do recognize that Finnish hockey have progressed during this last decade. But not in the slightest I feel that Swe hockey is inferior to finnish dito.

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
2020 is shaping up to be a solid draft year for Sweden. Future Considerations has six Swedes in the top-31 versus Finland's two.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Finland has definitely been on an upswing lately, but these things can change from year to year.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Sweden is always ahead of Finland (on paper) also because it seems that Finnish NHL-players cannot give a **** for joining to a national squad.

I actually hope that Finnish hockey Federation and Liiga teams together would set certain clauses for that responsibility to player contracts.

Faster we get rid of non-essential encumbrance when it comes to NT representation, better. In other words, You're Finnish hockey player going to NHL, you're always obliged by contractual clauses to participate to NT if called up, if you're not playing NHL playoffs.

To remind individual playerss, and to force some kind decent price for the system that really can produce players that can A) play in the NHL, B) beat rosters that are filled with NHL talent, that doesn't appear when requested, C) to optimize hockey world in general to better reflect real talent pool.

For example Kaapo Kakko played 100+ games and that wasn't problem for him, but when free and available NHL millionaire of < 100GP per season is requested... *middle finger*

The point underlined here is that all ALL Finnish players should FEEL they are responsible for that they are the products of the Finnish Pipeline, if they are available. Finnish Hockey federation should contractually and preemptively forbid any clause from player contracts that can prevent a NHL (or any other league) player's participation to an International tournaments in a roster of Team Finland, unless there are clear medical reasons for such decline. NHL teams could buy that privilege tho. With hard money.

Europeans in general should end their slavery to NHL by creation of their own international League (in which NA players are welcomed to join).

I'm not sure I understand this rant. You want NHL players to be contractually obligate to play for their European national teams?

As far as creating your own league, go right ahead. It would be pretty cool to have a champions league type set up, as soccer/football does, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Euro hockey leagues are second tier hockey, and that's not an easy thing to change.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
No they haven't. Sweden wins more medals at the men's level and has the better roster in a best-on-best tournament.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
No they haven't. Sweden wins more medals at the men's level and has the better roster in a best-on-best tournament.

Yeah that was years ago. We are talking about now. And Finland has a better roster best on best when it comes to forwards. U have the edge in defence. Don't be so mad "little brother" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad