Rumor: Sven Baertschi request trade - update cleared WAIVERS

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I'm not seeing the size or athletesism difference honestly.

Demko is listed as 6-4 and 192
Blackwood is listed as 6-4 and 225
Both are considered athletic goaltenders.

Also I'm not sure how you dismiss Demko's NHL performance based on being hung out to dry when NJ has been significantly worse defensively than Vancouver over the last two years. NJ has been near bottom in goals against this year and last and Vancouver has been ahead of them both years by quite a bit...

Demko's pedigree was certainly better coming into pro hockey after playing for some very strong BC teams and a strong WJC performance. But I have a hard time weighting NCAA and junior stats over NHL stats. In Blackwoods case his 47 NHL games over half of last year and less than half of this year is more games played than any single minor league or junior season he's played What I'm getting at is 47 games is significant enough to pass judgement on. I wouldn't argue that 22 games in Demko's case is too small but what we're left with is comparing Demko's NCAA and minor success to a more defined NHL record

I'm not sure how much I would weigh Demko's BC stats. I remember watching Brad Theisen post a .931 at Northeastern in his junior year. Lots of goalies on good teams post flashy numbers in college. By no means am I trying to diminish Demko's accomplishments, what I am saying is comparing two goalies in different leagues, at different ages and with varying levels of talent and systems in front of them is challenging to say the least.

I tend to weigh NHL success more heavily than college or AHL.

Anyway I don't think there is anything clear or definitive at this point but what we do know is Blackwood is holding his own at the NHL level on a horrifically bad Devil's team just barely turning 23 years old a few days ago while Demko is a year older playing for better team with much worse save percentage albeit in a small sample.

This is key. When Demko is sitting at a sample size where one shutout would visibly move his career sv% it's hard to use it as an argument.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This is key. When Demko is sitting at a sample size where one shutout would visibly move his career sv% it's hard to use it as an argument.

Like I said I wouldn't argue that Demko's NHL stats are too small to draw any real conclusions.

But the original question point was potential. It would seem to me that when you look at the younger goaltender with more of an NHL track record and better stats the "potential" argument falls mainly on pedigree vs NHL record (results).

You're talking potential and the 24 year old is behind the 23 year old at the NHL level...That doesn't look like a firm argument to me.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Like I said I wouldn't argue that Demko's NHL stats are too small to draw any real conclusions.

But the original question point was potential. It would seem to me that when you look at the younger goaltender with more of an NHL track record and better stats the "potential" argument falls mainly on pedigree vs NHL record (results).

You're talking potential and the 24 year old is behind the 23 year old at the NHL level...That doesn't look like a firm argument to me.
I haven't argued anything about potential, but goalies are a lot harder to peg down and using a sample size of 22 games is a detriment to your argument. Playing in the league younger has a lot more to do with path chosen and opportunity than potential in this case. I'd be willing to wager that there isn't a GM in the league that would take Blackwood over Demko, save for maybe Shero.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I hope the Flyers can & do claim him. We are desperate.

Damn, I didn't realize his cap hit as so high. Nevermind.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I haven't argued anything about potential, but goalies are a lot harder to peg down and using a sample size of 22 games is a detriment to your argument. Playing in the league younger has a lot more to do with path chosen and opportunity than potential in this case. I'd be willing to wager that there isn't a GM in the league that would take Blackwood over Demko, save for maybe Shero.

really? Given the fact that Blackwood has been able to establish himself far more at younger age on a worse team. And given Demko has already had at least 2 concussions, I’d think several GM’a would opt for Blackwood over Demko. Regardless. The argument was Demko is a redundant asset to NJ in a potential Hall trade. And therefore adds little value.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Nobody will claim Bartschi because he has term on his contract.

Waiving could be a precursor to a trade. If the Canucks are either giving up an asset or taking back a lesser contract, they might have waived Baertschi as a formality to see if someone would take him for free.

A suggestion I made in the Sens' board trade thread was Boedker for Baertschi and an asset. The Senators would retain on Boedker so it would be cap in/cap out for Vancouver this season. Boedker is a UFA after this season, so Vancouver does the deal to get out of the last year of Baertschi's contract. Vancouver is essentially trading for cap space in 20-21.

For the Senators, even with retaining, they add very little to their budget this year. This is because Baertschi had a signing bonus paid, and Boedker's contract was front loaded. Baerstchi only makes 2.4M next season, and the Senators are likely to want to move out some NHL regulars at the deadline. Similar to Duclair, Baertschi could be an offensive reclamation project who might do well in Ottawa under a coach who seems to connect well with younger players where there are also minutes to go around.

I think the Senators should get an asset in this deal because while they might benefit from Baertschi, it's not guaranteed, and nobody is helping Vancouver clear that 2.4M in cap next season for free.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011

Waiving could be a precursor to a trade. If the Canucks are either giving up an asset or taking back a lesser contract, they might have waived Baertschi as a formality to see if someone would take him for free.

A suggestion I made in the Sens' board trade thread was Boedker for Baertschi and an asset. The Senators would retain on Boedker so it would be cap in/cap out for Vancouver this season. Boedker is a UFA after this season, so Vancouver does the deal to get out of the last year of Baertschi's contract. Vancouver is essentially trading for cap space in 20-21.

For the Senators, even with retaining, they add very little to their budget this year. This is because Baertschi had a signing bonus paid, and Boedker's contract was front loaded. Baerstchi only makes 2.4M next season, and the Senators are likely to want to move out some NHL regulars at the deadline. Similar to Duclair, Baertschi could be an offensive reclamation project who might do well in Ottawa under a coach who seems to connect well with younger players where there are also minutes to go around.

I think the Senators should get an asset in this deal because while they might benefit from Baertschi, it's not guaranteed, and nobody is helping Vancouver clear that 2.4M in cap next season for free.
Brilliant, totally agree with everything you said.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
So was he going thru waivers yesterday and it just ended, or is he going thru today and it ends tomorrow?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not going to happen but.

Lewis for Sven + 3rd (cost of next year's cap hit)
If the Canucks can survive sven’s cap hit I don’t see them sending an asset out to do him a favour. A favour is taking back something to just get a deal done like Biega to Detroit for a minor league contract.
That’s the problem his agent will find. Canucks are not giving up more to move off from him.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Canucks are gonna have to move him contract for contract for a player that better fits their bottom 6

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No. That extra year is a killer.

They may take him in a trade but Vancouver would have to retain some salary.

That is the major issue for Sven. Teams are willing to give him a shot but do not want to be on the hook next season in the event he doesn't fit with their team. Teams want the option to walk away or extend him based on how he performs with them. Not interested in committing to him for next year right now.

Reactions: North

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
If the Canucks can survive sven’s cap hit I don’t see them sending an asset out to do him a favour. A favour is taking back something to just get a deal done like Biega to Detroit for a minor league contract.
That’s the problem his agent will find. Canucks are not giving up more to move off from him.

Baer's agent really f'd him over here. Benning said he was trying to deal him, then his agent went to the media. Day or 2 later he is waived and likely buried in Utica for the foreseeable future. He may get dealt next year, but can't see anything happening this season.

Reactions: qqaz

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Baer's agent really f'd him over here. Benning said he was trying to deal him, then his agent went to the media. Day or 2 later he is waived and likely buried in Utica for the foreseeable future. He may get dealt next year, but can't see anything happening this season.
I'm sure Benning has been trying to move him. Having a cap hit of $2.3 million for a guy who is not on the roster doesn't help the Canucks. Agent needed to work behind the scenes. I don't think him coming out to the media about it does anything.
Clearly, teams do not want to simply take on the contract. He's not that good a player to do that.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Canucks are gonna have to move him contract for contract for a player that better fits their bottom 6

Would love to do Baertschi + Schaller for Boedker (retain 925k on Baertschi, Sens retain 590k on Boedker for this year's cap reasons).

Sens get Baertschi at $2.435M for this year and next, Canucks get out of the extra year and keep cap neutral with Baertschi's contract (can save max 925k for burying Baertschi).

Canucks could look into possibly keeping Boedker after this season(at a lower cost of course) and remove 1 (possibly 2) forwards from their logjam.

As well, Baertschi gets his fresh start with a new team.

Having said all that, there's not a ton of reason Ottawa would go for it... they'd want something for the trouble rather than Schaller, who sucks. Probably have to toss in a pick of mid tier prospect

Last edited:

vanarchy

May 3, 2013

Can you be our GM?

Seriously

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
At this point a strong gust of wind might concuss him. Too much risk and too expensive for teams to take a stab at a waiver claim. Not surprised he cleared. He has the skill but is honestly just too soft for middle 6 winger duty in the NHL.

Should really just go back to Europe after his contract is up and flourish there. Still good money to be made in the leagues there and he might build up enough credibility to get another eventual NHL shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad