Rumor: Sven Baertschi request trade - update cleared WAIVERS

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
He was going to be something.. God darn concussions, he was a fun offensive player to watch. Seemed like he was finally putting it together, too, which makes this sting.

Good luck Sven.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
At this point a strong gust of wind might concuss him. Too much risk and too expensive for teams to take a stab at a waiver claim. Not surprised he cleared. He has the skill but is honestly just too soft for middle 6 winger duty in the NHL.

Should really just go back to Europe after his contract is up and flourish there. Still good money to be made in the leagues there and he might build up enough credibility to get another eventual NHL shot.
Has a better shot of being moved most likely in early July after the big free agent frenzy. Could then be had for a minor leaguer just to keep the # of contracts neutral for both sides. 1 year commitment, so no risk. Cash payment less than cap hit.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I still think the team taking a chance on him should have been the Canucks. We lack scoring outside of our big four, and Baertschi could have provided that as consistently as Leivo, Pearson, Virtanen, Sutter and others, or in most cases better.

We call him up, and put him in out bottom six behind at least two of the guys mentioned above.

He's cleared waivers again, which for a team looking for a deadly AHL player that can be called up, could be of benefit.

I hope he's traded for future considerations, and absolutely kills it for his new team. Like a 40 goal, 90 point pace.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I still think the team taking a chance on him should have been the Canucks. We lack scoring outside of our big four, and Baertschi could have provided that as consistently as Leivo, Pearson, Virtanen, Sutter and others, or in most cases better.

We call him up, and put him in out bottom six behind at least two of the guys mentioned above.

He's cleared waivers again, which for a team looking for a deadly AHL player that can be called up, could be of benefit.

I hope he's traded for future considerations, and absolutely kills it for his new team. Like a 40 goal, 90 point pace.

can you think of a team that’s willing to blow $2.5m of cap space to prop up their AHL team? I can’t

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
can you think of a team that’s willing to blow $2.5m of cap space to prop up their AHL team? I can’t

Me either, the selling point (or rather not sending a horrid contract back) would be another move being made this season moving a top nine player out, necessitating a call up...and then him lighting up the league out of spite for Canucks management.

Again I imagine few takers, but if he can move without us taking an awful contract back, and he plays in the NHL as a result, i consider that a win all around.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Me either, the selling point (or rather not sending a horrid contract back) would be another move being made this season moving a top nine player out, necessitating a call up...and then him lighting up the league out of spite for Canucks management.

Again I imagine few takers, but if he can move without us taking an awful contract back, and he plays in the NHL as a result, i consider that a win all around.

With that extra year in his contract I doubt there are any interested parties. Short of max retention I think the Canucks will be sitting on his contract for the remainder of the season. Then possibly buying him out

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
With that extra year in his contract I doubt there are any interested parties. Short of max retention I think the Canucks will be sitting on his contract for the remainder of the season. Then possibly buying him out

Thing is, he's still capable, that's what drives me nuts here. I'm positive he can outproduce Leivo and Pearson if he were playing the same role, but Green has his favourites. If he's bought out...well that better be by a new GM, after a new coach fails to play him.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Thing is, he's still capable, that's what drives me nuts here. I'm positive he can outproduce Leivo and Pearson if he were playing the same role, but Green has his favourites. If he's bought out...well that better be by a new GM, after a new coach fails to play him.

Pearson is a better goal scorer than Baertschi and also plays a more well rounded game. Baertschi is better goal scorer than Leivo, but Levio is a far
More versatile player.

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
Baertschi is very entitled. He's requested trades from both NHL teams he's been on. He's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is and it's always the coach not playing him properly. Who would want him?

Reactions: Nanuuk and gianni

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Baertschi is very entitled. He's requested trades from both NHL teams he's been on. He's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is and it's always the coach not playing him properly. Who would want him?
Sure but he’s a NHL player undoubtedly. When played well when when was up and has dominated the AHL. He hasn’t said a peep publicly only his agent has. I hold nothing against him. He’s getting paid slightly too much which is making the deal hard.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Pearson is a better goal scorer than Baertschi and also plays a more well rounded game. Baertschi is better goal scorer than Leivo, but Levio is a far
More versatile player.

I disagree about Pearson. I feel Baertschi can create more opportunity on his own, where as Pearson has to be playing with a playmaker.

Versatile is fine if Leivo's moving around the lineup, but he's been crazy glued in our top six every time I look at our roster.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sure but he’s a NHL player undoubtedly. When played well when when was up and has dominated the AHL. He hasn’t said a peep publicly only his agent has. I hold nothing against him. He’s getting paid slightly too much which is making the deal hard.
Better the agent say it than the player. But, Sven is frustrated at being in the A.

But, he's been waived twice. Meaning he's not good enough for teams to want that extra year or the cap hit. Canucks are not holding onto Sven to screw with him. they'd love to move his $2.3 mill dead cap hit (since he's not on the NHL roster and that's what it is costing them to hold onto his rights). Can't find a deal that makes sense for them.

They should be willing to retain a bit to move him. A buyout of Sven next season would cost them $1.75 mill then $800K the next season. And they are currently eating $2.3 million on him this season.

They could retain like 1/3 (or $1.15 million) to drop his down to around $2.2 mill cap hit for this year and next to make a trade work. Better than a buyout next season. Unless they feedback they are getting in trade talks is that teams don't want to commit an extra year to him regardless. Want the option to walk away if he doesn't deliver.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
lol that's gotta be a slap in the face..
Player "I want to get traded!"
GM "kid.. i cant even GIVE you away "

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I wouldn't really say so. He isn't pouting but rather is doing what's asked of him and putting in the effort in Utica (16-4-19-23), and not really his fault the GM likes adding 3-4 new warm bodies up front every season while still having the guys he got over the last few years on long term contracts. Baerstchi isn't great but he's still an NHL calibre player and if he's going to be buried in the minors has a right to ask for a trade.

Really it's just the unfortunate concussions/injuries holding him back. Whenever he's played he's put up a 0.5 ppg pace, and if he could stay healthy in a stable spot a full season could be a mediocre 40-50 point winger worth what he's getting paid. But the contract is too much for a guy who can't be counted on and will likely spend half the season on the IR.

Reactions: go comets

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
lol that's gotta be a slap in the face..
Player "I want to get traded!"
GM "kid.. i cant even GIVE you away "
His contract is keeping him out of the NHL. If you want to keep the contract you just have to bear it. Always have the option to terminate the contract. Canucks would not object. Given his concussion history he’d be taking a big risk passing up the guaranteed money.

his salary for next season is $2.4 mill. Doubt he could sign for that if he was a ufa.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Decent player, but his contract, particularly the extra year after this one, makes him a lot less palatable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad