Rumor: Sven Baertschi request trade - update cleared WAIVERS

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd rather trade him for a bigger contract that Benning/Green aren't totally against using.

I know the competition level in the AHL isn't equal to the NHL, but it's still adult professional hockey players, and between that and his call up, it's not altruistic that he's being left off the roster.

At the same time I feel he can still contribute, in spite of his last call up, much better than Eriksson.

If there is a Granlund or Galchenyuk kind of player out there, I wouldn't mind adding a little for the bigger cap hit, assuming we dump Eriksson/Schaller to the minors to make room for the difference, or Ferlands prognosis isnt looking good for the rest of the season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd rather trade him for a bigger contract that Benning/Green aren't totally against using.

I know the competition level in the AHL isn't equal to the NHL, but it's still adult professional hockey players, and between that and his call up, it's not altruistic that he's being left off the roster.

At the same time I feel he can still contribute, in spite of his last call up, much better than Eriksson.

If there is a Granlund or Galchenyuk kind of player out there, I wouldn't mind adding a little for the bigger cap hit, assuming we dump Eriksson/Schaller to the minors to make room for the difference, or Ferlands prognosis isnt looking good for the rest of the season.
canucks have other priorities ahead of Sven. They have rfas like Virtanen, Gaudette, Motte, and Stecher they need to decide on.
Along with Markstrom and Tanev who are ufa. Plus they have to push rookie bonuses to next season. That could be upwards of $3 mill depending on how it goes with Petey and Hughes.

sucks for Sven but it’s the reality of his contract.

amikaro

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2015
thx guys for sharing your thoughts. interesting to follow as i do not follow the nucks that much recently. hope his career can finally find a more stable way soon ...

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
thx guys for sharing your thoughts. interesting to follow as i do not follow the nucks that much recently. hope his career can finally find a more stable way soon ...

a silver lining for Sven is he signed his 3.3 mil x 3 years contract right before he started going through his injuries. Had it happened the other way around he would have lost out on millions.

This hasnt been an optimal situation for Sven but it has turned out to be a blessing for Canuck Prospect Development. Its quite obvious that Sven is too good for the AHL level ( 32 pts in 26 games) It has helped young prospects practicing/playing with a talent like Sven. Lind has taken a massive development step this year and also players like Rafferty, Juolevi and Jasek.

I think the Canucks will keep Sven in Utica this season and then look to trade him in the off season as his contracts becomes waay more desirable with only 1 year left.

It has been reported that Sven has asked for a trade and that the Canucks did everything they can to find a suitor for him and even put him on waivers twice but not bite.

He would be a great fit for a team needing playmaking in their top 9. Or a team that uses the 3rd line as scoring depth rather than a checking line. He can also play on the 2nd line if needed and be on PP1 or PP2. He is very defensivley reliable and not a liability.

His weakness is board battles and he has a history of concussion injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad