TSN: Suspended D Voynov signs in KHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
It feels idiotic that you can serve your game suspension in other league. If it were up to me, if he wants to come back to NHL he should have to write a contract with a NHL team, then he will sit half of the season. What kind of punishment is this, it's ridiculous.
Why should he be punished for something he did outside of hockey absolutely idiotic would rather watch a bunch of talented convicts play then a garbage model citizens like Cody Ceci.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
You can ask her and see what she says. I’m guessing she wants her hubby to play.
They celebrated their wedding in Russia not long after and remain together to this day.

Yes, I realize that. It was more a comment to the person advocating that people abusing women should be given a 2nd chance otherwise the victim doesn't get any compensation due to the abuser not being able to earn any money.

Their situation is just f***ed up...I think they had a kid after the whole event as well (or maybe around the same time?) despite him beating the living piss out of her on a regular basis.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Why should he be punished for something he did outside of hockey absolutely idiotic would rather watch a bunch of talented convicts play then a garbage model citizens like Cody Ceci.

I don't think it's so much that model citizens are more fun to watch.

I think people in general, even outside of HFB, think Voynov is a PoS because he takes pleasure in beating women and don't want him to join their teams locker room.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

I think people in general, even outside of HFB, think Voynov is a PoS because he takes pleasure in beating women and don't want him to join their teams locker room.
Who cares what he takes pleasure in as long as he brings it every shift

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

Who cares what he takes pleasure in as long as he brings it every shift

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

Considering people have/had no qualms with Craig MacTavish in the NHL, I doubt the majority would for Voynov either; except for the individuals who view the world in absolutes.
Just like MacTavish, Voynov's problems stemmed from his drinking.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Considering people have/had no qualms with Craig MacTavish in the NHL, I doubt the majority would for Voynov; except for those individuals who view the world in absolutes.
Just like MacTavish, Voynov's problems stemmed from his drinking.

I think the issue here is most people aren't even aware of his history and some might not even have been alive while he was playing. If he did that in 2019, people would be up and arms as well.

Ah, and there it is. Blaming the woman beating on alcohol and not, you know, the beater himself. Disgusting.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

dfunk

Feb 1, 2012
NHL business isn't just about what's on the ice, though. What small market team can afford a PR hit like that?

Good point. But I don’t know why but I think teams’ management will definitely weigh the odds. Do we sign this guy for a one year deal and do a press release saying how he’s born again? Or do they say I’m not touching this with a ten foot pole. He’d slide right into your top 4 as a RHD as we all know is sought after. I dunno. It’s a tough one for me to be honest. Maybe he’s figured his crap out or maybe he hasn’t changed. Who the hell knows. It could be spun as a positive PR story as well is what I’m saying g I guess

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
I think the issue here is most people aren't even aware of his history and some might not even have been alive while he was playing. If he did that in 2019, people would be up and arms as well.

Ah, and there it is. Blaming the woman beating on alcohol and not, you know, the beater himself. Disgusting.

Stop with the strawman. Voynov is 100% responsible for his actions, but (just like MacTavish) there are numerous circumstances which could influence a person to act in such a manner. The world is not, nor should it be viewed in 'good' and 'bad' absolutes. It's not uncommon in the slightest for drug abusers to do things they normally wouldn't do if not addicted. This is why most civilized countries view rehabilitation as a better option than punishment.
Stating that Voynov takes innate pleasure in beating women is unwarranted. For all we know, his wife decided to stay with him because he put down the bottle and is now an exemplary husband.

And no, in 2019 the majority of people don't care whatsoever about abusers entertaining them in athletics. As I previously noted, look at the popularity of the NFL.

Last edited:

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Idk...people who don't like woman beaters or the action of beating a woman?

I find your comment kind of repulsive as well to be honest. Show some respect to women, I hope there aren't any on this board.
I’m not sexist women are as equal as men it’s really no different then a bar fight in my opinion. But anyway Voynov is a great hockey player and I’d love him on the leafs.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Awareness is selective even in Los Angeles, Joe Corvo was convicted of sexually harassing and assaulting (including kicking her as she was laying on the ground) a woman in 2002 and the Kings suspended him for whole three (3) games. He went on to play over 700 NHL games after it. When the daughter of the Kings assistant coach Mark Hardy accused him of molesting her in 2010 he was only relegated to the Ontario Reign and today works with children as the head coach of the U16 Jr. Kings.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
23 man roster, chances are high one of them are abusive on every team. Voynov and Watson are the 2 we have heard about.

Last edited by a moderator:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yes, I realize that. It was more a comment to the person advocating that people abusing women should be given a 2nd chance otherwise the victim doesn't get any compensation due to the abuser not being able to earn any money.

Their situation is just ****ed up...I think they had a kid after the whole event as well (or maybe around the same time?) despite him beating the living piss out of her on a regular basis.

This is new to me, I didn’t realize Voynov had been beating the living piss out of his wife/girlfriend on a regular basis. Any chance you have some sources for that?

Reactions: Starat327

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
This is new to me, I didn’t realize Voynov had been beating the living piss out of his wife/girlfriend on a regular basis. Any chance you have some sources for that?

It came from the police report, she said to the police on the scene that he did it often. She has since claimed she was misinterpreted/ said that in spite. But yeah, it was brought up in the court documents and mentioned lots in the media coverage.

Reactions: Red

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

Around the bed. In the shape of a handprint on the wood floor. On the comforter. In a trail leading to the bathroom.

“My blood, all over bedroom and bathroom,” Varlamova said in a recording. “And it’s not first time.”
She added: “He’s very aggressive every time.”

Voynov kicked her five to six times on the ground, Varlamova told police, while she screamed for him to stop. When she tried to get up, he pushed her into the corner of a flat-screen television mounted on the wall. That opened a 1.2-inch laceration above Varlamova’s left eye that required eight stitches to close.

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
FWIW, in a somewhat similar situation about 15 years ago, Alexander Perezhogin had been suspended the rest of the playoffs and an entire AHL season following a stick swinging incident. He proceeded to play in Russia for that season he had received an AHL suspension. The next season, he was allowed to play in both the AHL and NHL.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
So that translates to Voynov "beats the living piss out of his wife on a regular basis." Your words, not mine. Okie.

What part of
“My blood, all over bedroom and bathroom,” Varlamova said in a recording. “And it’s not first time.”
She added: “He’s very aggressive every time.”

Are you failing to comprehend? Let me help you.

Do you think a gentle tap will cause blood all over the bedroom or bathroom or do you think it'll be an aggressive beating that she claims happens every time?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
What part of

Are you failing to comprehend? Let me help you.

Do you think a gentle tap will cause blood all over the bedroom or bathroom or do you think it'll be an aggressive beating that she claims happens every time.

I think you're cherry picking certain quotes and twisting them into a sensationalized statement that Voynov "beats the living piss out of his wife on a regular basis".

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad