Superleague Part III: Collapsed

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
You can put all the blame on Madrid and barca but teams like Wolves spent 40 million on semedo during covid.

Forget that. I was reading about another club who I won’t brother to name, but they’ve received a billion from their owners. So if people are going to talk about debts, which need to be paid, then they should be talking about that sort of thing as well. Ditto for “cradle snatching”.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Even though I haven't been to city (though I've been to Germany), I watch a lot of travel shows and one of the prettiest places I've seen in Europe is Freiburg absolutely. I think it's in the Southwest part covered with mountains and trees, definitely a hidden spot in regards that all the tourists go to Munich, Berlin, or Frankfurt.

Those areas are gorgeous but also overrated, I would suggest the prettiest places in France are Lyon and Strasbourg IMHO. Nice probably has the best food of them all though; a good blend of seafood, spices from Northern Africa, and all mixed in French cuisine.

Frankfurt sucks.
Freiburg is indeed quite nice.

Reactions: les Habs

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Warsaw is a nice city, it's just that a huge part of the population comes from whichever village and exists only in their own bubble in the big city. So on the surface the city life tends to consist of the lowest common denominators, but there's more underneath.

member 51464

Frankfurt sucks.
Freiburg is indeed quite nice.

Yeah Frankfurt is that prototypical boring modern city for young families, Warsaw is the same way for Poland. Neither has any sort of character or interesting appeal compared to other cities in each country.

My only trip to Germany as an adult was to Frankfurt for work a few years ago. Other than this random British guy who spent like an hour following me around trying to convince me I needed to be saved by him from eternal damnation, I had a nice time.

Some interesting architecture downtown, that wide river right there, a couple quality open air markets, and a bunch of jolly drunken Germans demonstrating a hilarious interest in karaoke generally and Ed Sheeran specifically.

But yes, it may be a boring place to reside in rather than just visit.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You guys aren't prepared...

Perez said yesterday in an interview that the Superleague had to happen because teams like Bordeaux were bankrupt and that many teams would follow.

Bordeaux is bankrupt because its american owners have decided not give a euro to them even though they're losing money with Covid and instead are trying to invest in Inter Milan.
How is the Superleague going to change that exactly?
Sickening.

Reactions: luiginb and BMann

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ceferin said the 12 teams will be punished.
He said there were 3 groups :
1/ The 6 EPL teams that left quickly and apologized
2/ Inter, Milan and Atletico who left later
3/ Real, Barca and Juve that are STILL in it as of now.
He says the punishments will be different depending on those groups.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Ceferin said the 12 teams will be punished.
He said there were 3 groups :
1/ The 6 EPL teams that left quickly and apologized
2/ Inter, Milan and Atletico who left later
3/ Real, Barca and Juve that are STILL in it as of now.
He says the punishments will be different depending on those groups.

Makes no sense to me

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I agree there is no sense in separating the 6 EPL clubs from the other 3. But the 3 that stay in it? Hell yeah.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The only reason the 6 EPL clubs bolted as fast as they did is because the UK government started threatening legal action in the form of news laws that would severely punish them. They don’t get too much credit for realizing that they made an awful decision and trying to cry mulligan before the results were set in stone.

Anyway, my guess at punishments would be fines and short transfer bans. At most the last group will get a 1 season European ban, but I wouldn’t hold your breath for some multi-year ban.

Even then, it’ll surely be appealed to CAS and CAS usually sides heavily on the side of clubs when you’re dealing with punitive punishments for behavior that didn’t involve a competitive edge in any competition.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Even then, it’ll surely be appealed to CAS and CAS usually sides heavily on the side of clubs when you’re dealing with punitive punishments for behavior that didn’t involve a competitive edge in any competition.

For example Article 51 of the UEFA Statutes could be applied in the current situation:

"No combinations or alliances between UEFA Member Associations or between leagues or clubs affiliated, directly or indirectly, to different UEFA Member Associations may be formed without the permission of UEFA."

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Like I said in all this stupid mess, the people coming out against it were people using it for their own means. Looks like Boris met with Woodward a few days beforehand and likely gave tacit approval. Or at least didn't say no then.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
x9wdqwint3v61.jpg

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
You can put all the blame on Madrid and barca but teams like Wolves spent 40 million on semedo during covid.

Because they can, they don't cry that they're broke. If you don't have the money you cut costs and yes it will show on results but you can't spent money you don't have for ever.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Because they can, they don't cry that they're broke. If you don't have the money you cut costs and yes it will show on results but you can't spent money you don't have for ever.

You mean the same club that is as of March 23rd in debt to the tune of 284 million pounds?

Makes no sense to me

It makes absolutely no sense. There should only be one tier and that possibly a second past a certain point, though past that certain point exactly what the punishment should be should be up for debate.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
You mean the same club that is as of March 23rd in debt to the tune of 284 million pounds?

It makes absolutely no sense. There should only be one tier and that possibly a second past a certain point, though past that certain point exactly what the punishment should be should be up for debate.

The real question, to me, is what punishment can they dish out without the 12 suing them?

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad