Superleague Part III: Collapsed

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Truly remarkable how badly this gamble from executives failed

I figured it’d fail one way or another, there was too much riding on this for the associations, the hundreds of local clubs and players being threatened with bans but I didn’t think it’d take barely 48 hours for them to back down.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I sit back with a wonder now. How could the club owners have played this any worse in a time like this? Its like they are the pure manifestation of everything that is wrong with in world right now.

Reactions: luiginb

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
@Emperoreddy

As they should regarding punishing individuals instead of the clubs. No reason Rashford or Varane should be punished for something they didn’t even know was happening.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That’s what happens when you become so rich that you can do whatever you want. You think you can always do what you want at any exact moment. Luckily this was able to be stopped.

What's really bad is that a lot of these people came from nothing and should be able to understand. You'd think that because they weren't always rich they'd know. John Henry grew up in the shittiest part of this state and didn't get rich with daddy's money like some of these other people. But then they do it anyway.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What's really bad is that a lot of these people came from nothing and should be able to understand. You'd think that because they weren't always rich they'd know. John Henry grew up in the shittiest part of this state and didn't get rich with daddy's money like some of these other people. But then they do it anyway.
Money is the root of all evil.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think the Americans are somewhat excused because they obviously don't get the way European football truly is constructed. Like most Americans they ultimately assume people and things everywhere should be like in America and if they aren't yet, they just haven't heard the good news yet.

Meanwhile the Spanish and Italian bosses involved are just mafiosi (and I don't mean because some of them are Italian, but they're crooks, that's what I'm saying).

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB

Kroneke owes a lot of his wealth and ownership to his wife.

Henry relies more on his partners at FSG to make himself relevant.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's really nice to see the rise up. Pessimism tells me this is a temporary stay of action rather than an outright victory, but it is still great to see the fans, players and other management unite against something like this.

Not that the current governance is really much better, tbh. If they had made it so relegation/promotion were possible for all teams I doubt this would have really been stopped.

Reactions: robertmac43

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Haven’t had the chance to comment on this forum for a while.

I’ve read the 2 first threads, was an amazing read. Good job guys.

To be honest I think the idea has some merit and deserves to be looked at seriously one wat or the other but definitely not in the shape or form presented today. Would be great though if this becomes a turning point to chase out the oligarchs from football ownerships.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
That swift response means you won't see a superleague attempt for a long while..not until there is some method in place to not completely destroy domestic leagues and something that any team would have a shot at based on performance. Closed leagues will not work in European football.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Meanwhile the Spanish and Italian bosses involved are just mafiosi (and I don't mean because some of them are Italian, but they're crooks, that's what I'm saying).

If people wonder, that is the same Suning that owners Inter Milan. Been known for some time that he trying to buy his way out of the club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad