Superleague Part III: Collapsed

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nice football and in a city worth visiting for a game once covid is over :) I have ok survival level French and would love to check out a game next trip over.

I also need a Bundesliga team, haha.
Well that's not easy because there are many nice towns in France.
Paris obviously. (PSG big favourite)
Lyon, Lille are nice cities. (Lyon one of the best academies in the world, Lille buying young players and selling them quickly when they gain value)
Nice is on the french riviera obviously. (Team of young prospects, rich owner, team on the rise in the next few years)
Bordeaux is beautiful too and near the surfing beaches. (Team that just entered bankruptcy)
Rennes is nice and has the Mont Saint Michel less than one hour away. (great academy)

At least you can eliminate Lens (though it's close to Lille) from the cities woth visiting. :)

Reactions: member 51464

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You’re going the Trump route.

Pique is probably right to a degree. As for what he said, I’ll actually link a source with multiple quotes. Clearly against the league as tobwas presented and pretty much spot on across the board.

Pique: A Super League destroys the system, do we want that for football?
Yes and he was in favor of killing the Davis Cup.
Who's going the Trump route here except you?
He said what I said he said. And the fact he's applying a different logic to tennis is ridiculous.
Defending him here is also ridiculous.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
We have beautiful women, beautiful food, and beautiful football. Now only if we didn't live with Germany on one side and Russia on the other...
I will always treasure my unexpected trip to the Champions League at the head of Wisla Plock (FM...15...maybe?).

Why is it those in favor of the Super League can't seem to do it without crapping on teams from Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Greece, or the likes of poor Blackpool, etc...? :cry:

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
How would this destroy domestic leagues?

Are you that stupid? It doesn't matter where they finished in the league, their spot would be guaranteed in Superleague where all the money is and they would probably play with a weaker team in their leagues to save energy for superleague.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Well he's not completely wrong, trying to keep young adults these days even 9 minutes without looking at their phones is a task in itself. With teens, they can't go 90 seconds without looking at their phones.

I'll be honest, I'm 40 and I just cancelled my satellite subscription because watching games by myself on my couch was not enough stimulation for me. If I'm watching football I need to be doing at least two other things at the same time.

Reactions: gary69 and Evilo

member 51464

Well that's not easy because there are many nice towns in France.
Paris obviously. (PSG big favourite)
Lyon, Lille are nice cities. (Lyon one of the best academies in the world, Lille buying young players and selling them quickly when they gain value)
Nice is on the french riviera obviously. (Team of young prospects, rich owner, team on the rise in the next few years)
Bordeaux is beautiful too and near the surfing beaches. (Team that just entered bankruptcy)
Rennes is nice and has the Mont Saint Michel less than one hour away. (great academy)

At least you can eliminate Lens (though it's close to Lille) from the cities woth visiting. :)
Thanks for the rundown. I felt PSG had to be a no simply because they're already such a high end team. Seems cheap to pick them, haha.

Reactions: Evilo

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Hahahahaha

The sporting version of this:

upload_2021-4-23_7-11-17.jpeg

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Well, how do you know? ;)

Fell in love with one (although she's from NY, her name ends in "ski") and she's somehow managed to destroy my life, make me the happiest person on earth and yet still remain my closest friend after all the shit we've been through all in about 8 years. I'd like to say I've somehow bettered my family predecessors who have all done the same thing with German/Irish women but managed to take about twice as long to do it and not go through a bitter divorce that sees them never speak to her again.

#We'reMakingProgressHereBoys

Reactions: robertmac43

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yes and he was in favor of killing the Davis Cup.
Who's going the Trump route here except you?
He said what I said he said. And the fact he's applying a different logic to tennis is ridiculous.
Defending him here is also ridiculous.

LOL, no way am I taking the Trump route, You are, yet again, but then it comes as no surprise. I have actually provided a link to actual quotes demonstrating his take on the Super League which is the exact opposite of what you’re making it out to be, but again no surprise there.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Premier League is changing the L9 rule sot that future attempts at joining a Super League like construct will result in an automatic banishment from the Premier League.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
LOL, no way am I taking the Trump route, You are, yet again, but then it comes as no surprise. I have actually provided a link to actual quotes demonstrating his take on the Super League which is the exact opposite of what you’re making it out to be, but again no surprise there.
No, YOU take the Tump route because you ignore the argument to focus on a detail and accuse me of making an argument I didn't make in order to once again exhonerate your player?
Pique said the SL isn't good for football? Never said the contrary.
He also said youngsters couldn't focus and he destroyed the Davis Cup the SL style.
I never said Pique said SL was great. So again, who's the Trumpist here?

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I guess top-level football really isn't for me anymore. For some time I had held on to a tiny bit of hope that there would be a way of saving football and restoring some balance and copetetiveness to international club competitions. But despite the, at least temporary, defeat of the ESL it is clear that UEFA, FIFA, ECA, sponsors, investors and media will never allow things to get better.

The only positive memories I have of the Champions League involve the rare upsets by teams like Basel or Rosenborg, the years when Ajax was at the top of their game (just beautiful to watch) and the time in 1998 when the goal collapsed before the semi final between Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund, which made for hilarious TV.

Almost none of the things I really remember involve any of the "big clubs". My most recent positive experience in these competitions is from 2018/19, after I had stopped watching the games. It was the run to the Europa League semi final by Eintracht Frankfurt. I did not watch a single game, but my best friend at the time (a huge Eintracht supporter) sent me videos and links to videos after every match, of the Eintracht fans celebrating and supporting their team and those were glorious. Another nice story from recent years was F91 Diddeleng qualifying for the Europa League group stage.

Beyond that I will always cherish these moments in European football history involving German teams:

1986: Quarterfinal of the Cup Winners Cup. Bayer Uerdingen lost their away game against Dynamo Dresden 0-2 and were down 1-3 at halftime of the return leg. They went on to win 7-3.

1987: Werder Bremen defeats Spartak Moscow 6-2 after extra time after losing the first leg 1-4. I was 9 years old and had to got to bed after the first half. When the game went to extra time my parents came to get me and let me watch the rest of the game.

1993: Second round of the Uefa-Cup. After losing 1-3 in the first leg at Valencia, Karlsruhe wins the return leg at home 7-0 utterly destroying the heavily favoured Spanish side.

1993: Once again Werder Bremen is involved (and this was technically in the Champions League although the competition was very different back then). Against RSC Anderlecht they were trailing 0-3 at home until the 66th minute and then went on to win 5-3

1997: I really don't like Schalke 04, but their win of the Uefa-Cup in the 1996/97 season was just amazing.

Yes, there is a lot of nostalgia connected to this, and I know the "good old times" had their problems too, but I miss things like this. For the last few years I have only checked the scores in CL and EL, and back when I was still watching games, I could not recall a single one that was so memorable that I will probably never forget it. Of course the quality of the games lately has been much higher than it was in the games I mentioned above, but there is just something missing for me in today's games.

For me football today is so sleek and polished and just utterly forgettable. Players and teams are totally interchangable and are really all the same to me.

I still like the game though, so I do watch some German 3rd tier football involving a number of former Bundesliga and DDR-Oberliga clubs like 1.FC Kaiserslautern, Dynamo Dresden, 1.FC Magdeburg, Bayer Uerdingen, Hansa Rostock, TSV 1860 München, MSV Duisburg and Waldhof Mannheim.
This is far more exciting than watching Bayern win their 25th consecutive title (no idea what number they are really at, but they will get to 25 I have no doubt).

*End rant*

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I guess top-level football really isn't for me anymore. For some time I had held on to a tiny bit of hope that there would be a way of saving football and restoring some balance and copetetiveness to international club competitions. But despite the, at least temporary, defeat of the ESL it is clear that UEFA, FIFA, ECA, sponsors, investors and media will never allow things to get better.

The only positive memories I have of the Champions League involve the rare upsets by teams like Basel or Rosenborg, the years when Ajax was at the top of their game (just beautiful to watch) and the time in 1998 when the goal collapsed before the semi final between Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund, which made for hilarious TV.

Almost none of the things I really remember involve any of the "big clubs". My most recent positive experience in these competitions is from 2018/19, after I had stopped watching the games. It was the run to the Europa League semi final by Eintracht Frankfurt. I did not watch a single game, but my best friend at the time (a huge Eintracht supporter) sent me videos and links to videos after every match, of the Eintracht fans celebrating and supporting their team and those were glorious. Another nice story from recent years was F91 Diddeleng qualifying for the Europa League group stage.

Beyond that I will always cherish these moments in European football history involving German teams:

1986: Quarterfinal of the Cup Winners Cup. Bayer Uerdingen lost their away game against Dynamo Dresden 0-2 and were down 1-3 at halftime of the return leg. They went on to win 7-3.

1987: Werder Bremen defeats Spartak Moscow 6-2 after extra time after losing the first leg 1-4. I was 9 years old and had to got to bed after the first half. When the game went to extra time my parents came to get me and let me watch the rest of the game.

1993: Second round of the Uefa-Cup. After losing 1-3 in the first leg at Valencia, Karlsruhe wins the return leg at home 7-0 utterly destroying the heavily favoured Spanish side.

1993: Once again Werder Bremen is involved (and this was technically in the Champions League although the competition was very different back then). Against RSC Anderlecht they were trailing 0-3 at home until the 66th minute and then went on to win 5-3

1997: I really don't like Schalke 04, but their win of the Uefa-Cup in the 1996/97 season was just amazing.

Yes, there is a lot of nostalgia connected to this, and I know the "good old times" had their problems too, but I miss things like this. For the last few years I have only checked the scores in CL and EL, and back when I was still watching games, I could not recall a single one that was so memorable that I will probably never forget it. Of course the quality of the games lately has been much higher than it was in the games I mentioned above, but there is just something missing for me in today's games.

For me football today is so sleek and polished and just utterly forgettable. Players and teams are totally interchangable and are really all the same to me.

I still like the game though, so I do watch some German 3rd tier football involving a number of former Bundesliga and DDR-Oberliga clubs like 1.FC Kaiserslautern, Dynamo Dresden, 1.FC Magdeburg, Bayer Uerdingen, Hansa Rostock, TSV 1860 München, MSV Duisburg and Waldhof Mannheim.
This is far more exciting than watching Bayern win their 25th consecutive title (no idea what number they are really at, but they will get to 25 I have no doubt).

*End rant*

A lot of things you mention there were benchmarks of my childhood/youth. I'd add Dortmund's run to the UEFA Cup Finals in 1993 to the list. The ties vs Zaragoza, Roma and Auxerre were all close and tense. I recall listening to the penalty shootout vs Auxerre on the radio while in bed as my dad had banished me from the living room at like 11 pm. I also recall a memorable Arsenal/Gladbach tie in the UEFA Cup in 1996. This was Gladbach with peak Effenberg and Juskowiak, Arsenal with Bergkamp, Wright, Platt.

To be honest, when the UEFA Cup went away as a relevant factor, European competitions lost a lot of their intrigue for me. When the money men switched European football from pure K.O. competitions to round-robin formats, that's really when its magic started to disappear. No-one except the suits wanted it. And it was a sign of things to come.

Reactions: Maverick41

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad