Superleague Part III: Collapsed

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
No, YOU take the Tump route because you ignore the argument to focus on a detail and accuse me of making an argument I didn't make in order to once again exhonerate your player?
Pique said the SL isn't good for football? Never said the contrary.
He also said youngsters couldn't focus and he destroyed the Davis Cup the SL style.
I never said Pique said SL was great. So again, who's the Trumpist here?

You’re the one who focused on a detail and I added actual context backed by an actual source. No need to exonerate him.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
A lot of things you mention there were benchmarks of my childhood/youth. I'd add Dortmund's run to the UEFA Cup Finals in 1993 to the list. The ties vs Zaragoza, Roma and Auxerre were all close and tense. I recall listening to the penalty shootout vs Auxerre on the radio while in bed as my dad had banished me from the living room at like 11 pm. I also recall a memorable Arsenal/Gladbach tie in the UEFA Cup in 1996. This was Gladbach with peak Effenberg and Juskowiak, Arsenal with Bergkamp, Wright, Platt.

To be honest, when the UEFA Cup went away as a relevant factor, European competitions lost a lot of their intrigue for me. When the money men switched European football from pure K.O. competitions to round-robin formats, that's really when its magic started to disappear. No-one except the suits wanted it. And it was a sign of things to come.
I remember the BVB/Auxerre game and the fantastic overhead kick by Laslandes.
That this goal (which was not only valid but beautiful and meant an aggregate win) was called off by reffing was one of the most scandalous decision of my football fan career.

Reactions: BMann

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Anyone who thought that suspending teams from this years competition was a realistic possibility was always out to lunch. It was never happening.

I think the people who know all the rules and regulations, would have tweeted out the part that would allow such measures days ago. The main issue was the Premier League and UK government, who could and still can, install laws to prohibit the league from playing games in the country.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Hate Spurs, like the initiative they are showing. Whether it amounts to anything is another question entirely, hopefully, they build on the momentum of the last week.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
A lot of things you mention there were benchmarks of my childhood/youth. I'd add Dortmund's run to the UEFA Cup Finals in 1993 to the list. The ties vs Zaragoza, Roma and Auxerre were all close and tense. I recall listening to the penalty shootout vs Auxerre on the radio while in bed as my dad had banished me from the living room at like 11 pm. I also recall a memorable Arsenal/Gladbach tie in the UEFA Cup in 1996. This was Gladbach with peak Effenberg and Juskowiak, Arsenal with Bergkamp, Wright, Platt.

To be honest, when the UEFA Cup went away as a relevant factor, European competitions lost a lot of their intrigue for me. When the money men switched European football from pure K.O. competitions to round-robin formats, that's really when its magic started to disappear. No-one except the suits wanted it. And it was a sign of things to come.

Damn. This made me realize even more that I'm old and can't remember anything of him as a Arsenal guy. He's always Aston Villa for me.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Well that's not easy because there are many nice towns in France.
Paris obviously. (PSG big favourite)
Lyon, Lille are nice cities. (Lyon one of the best academies in the world, Lille buying young players and selling them quickly when they gain value)
Nice is on the french riviera obviously. (Team of young prospects, rich owner, team on the rise in the next few years)
Bordeaux is beautiful too and near the surfing beaches. (Team that just entered bankruptcy)
Rennes is nice and has the Mont Saint Michel less than one hour away. (great academy)

At least you can eliminate Lens (though it's close to Lille) from the cities woth visiting. :)

Nice (and Monaco) are nice surroundings. And if you want a chance of scenery, it's not far from there to visit Barcelona and Italy. One of the best areas to be a football fan. Pick Nice, like Evilo said they have lot of things going their way and are on the rise.

As for Germany, Köln is a passionate team to support, although there is no huge success in sight in the near/mid-term future. But there is always hope and plenty of other clubs to visit nearby.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Nice (and Monaco) are nice surroundings. And if you want a chance of scenery, it's not far from there to visit Barcelona and Italy. One of the best areas to be a football fan. Pick Nice, like Evilo said they have lot of things going their way and are on the rise.

As for Germany, Köln is a passionate team to support, although there is no huge success in sight in the near/mid-term future. But there is always hope and plenty of other clubs to visit nearby.
Maybe Freiburg as well?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Damn. This made me realize even more that I'm old and can't remember anything of him as a Arsenal guy. He's always Aston Villa for me.

Well his time at Villa was definitely more notable, but that was also the years that one hardly ever heard anything about English football due to the European ban.

I remember when the English clubs came back I was so incredibly curious about them. And back then European ties were the only times you could really see foreign leagues (unless you were loaded and had some fancy TV package). I recall seeing Highbury on TV the first time in that Gladbach tie and two things stood out - the massive screen and the intimacy. I know people called Highbury 'the library', but compared to the cavernous stadiums with tracks you saw in other nations it felt incredibly intense and noisy.

A year later I went to Highbury myself (made a point of it during a trip to England with school). It was impressive. Replacing that stadium with the Emirates was a commercially wise move, but I feel that's probably when that club lost a bit of itself and started to become the type of sterile entity that would happily sign up for a Super League.

Reactions: gary69

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Even though I haven't been to city (though I've been to Germany), I watch a lot of travel shows and one of the prettiest places I've seen in Europe is Freiburg absolutely. I think it's in the Southwest part covered with mountains and trees, definitely a hidden spot in regards that all the tourists go to Munich, Berlin, or Frankfurt.

Those areas are gorgeous but also overrated, I would suggest the prettiest places in France are Lyon and Strasbourg IMHO. Nice probably has the best food of them all though; a good blend of seafood, spices from Northern Africa, and all mixed in French cuisine.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Cities like Freiburg and Mainz are definitely pleasant, but for these clubs success ultimately equals maintaining top flight presence and avoiding relegation. Union Berlin could be the best combination of many different positive factors to follow at the moment.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Fans of whatever club you support do not rest. Continue to protest and demand change so that we can get back to the beautiful game we knew. We need representation so that the money men and bodies like UEFA do not screw us about or the sport we fell in love with. People like Perez and his ilk are hoping supporters forget and this will all be forgotten but we must not forget.

Issues such as agents, financial fair play and the cradle snatching of kids from other continents and other club academies by the greedy vultures needs tackling as well. Clubs like Barcelona and Real Madrid need to be asked to comply with debt margins because they earn unfair competitive advantage over clubs that live within their means while their own costs mount. This is a watershed moment if we can seize. Time to strike while the anvil is hot.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Because Wolves had the means?
And didn't flee to a superleague saying they needed money?
They’re still playing a part in driving these insane prices. Actually the whole epl deserves some criticism for their part in driving the price up on shit players. With The new tv deal you have mid table and worse sides going on shopping sprees.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad