SuperLeague a done deal (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Oh, Perez has an answer for this: They will count CL and hypothetical Super League titles as one and the same. Says if Madrid wins the CL this year (#14) then their first Super League win would be their fifteenth title. They just want to appropriate the entire history.

Might as well clear out the museums then.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think most of the opposition to it here is more we just don't have this organic collection of hundreds of clubs that could be meaningfully organized into a workable system. Soccer is probably the closest, but the lower tier leagues have a lot of ways to go to make it a reasonable proposition. I think the other leagues that have minor league systems are just too entrenched in their system to be able to adapt. The other issue is how the NCAA fits in.

While the parallels to our closed leagues are obvious, it still feels like this is more akin to the NHL 06 teams trying to splinter into their own league, or an NFL Super League with just the Cowboys, Giants, Patriots, Packers, Steelers, Raiders, Eagles, and Bears, etc...

It's definitely a part of it. Tradition plays a large part in determining how perspectives are formed.

That said, I think it's "easier" to learn to adapt from a European-type system to a NA-type system than the other way around, and I suspect that eventually the Super League concept will be forced into European soccer.

The way they're trying to do it right now though is embarrassing and stunningly arrogant.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Oh, Perez has an answer for this: They will count CL and hypothetical Super League titles as one and the same. Says if Madrid wins the CL this year (#14) then their first Super League win would be their fifteenth title. They just want to appropriate the entire history.
For what it’s worth, some of those trophies were a bit fishy and that’s never stopped themes

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
The difference between the mentality in NA vs. Europe is pretty stark here.

The Super League concept (which is basically what a NHL/MLB/NBA system is) is getting roundly criticized in Europe.

Meanwhile, a system of relegations and promotions (which is the way it is currently in European soccer) would get shot down just as hard here in North America.

Pretty interesting stuff.

always, personally, thought MLS should use a relegation/promotion system..i also can't really get any enjoyment from watching MLS...just ..feels dull to me

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
always, personally, thought MLS should use a relegation/promotion system..i also can't really get any enjoyment from watching MLS...just ..feels dull to me

I think part of this is due to soccer tradition "conditioning" your mind to view proper soccer as a system of relegations and promotions. You're so used to seeing it that way that it feels weird when it's organized another way. Just like it would feel weird to have a NHL organized by relegations and promotions.

Reactions: trostol

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think that’s a bit premature. You will have some complaints but right now, most want to finish the season and regroup.
I think most are hoping that this dies down and the owners back away from the brink. Obviously you don't want to get yourself on any bad lists one way or the other, so most are naturally staying quiet right now.

I think the owners have gone about this in the absolute worst way possible though. I feel like if they took a more measured, cautious and respectful approach it might actually have generated more useful discussion and possible acceptance instead of the outright anger and disgust that we're seeing instead.

The way this was suddenly sledgehammered in with all the details worked out already is basically giving people reason to have their worst fears realized of rich, snobby, elitist, secret cabals of owners gathering around their freemason tables behind the scenes, arranging for the destruction of centuries of proud tradition in order to line their own pockets.

Last edited:

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
'It sickens me': Fans in Singapore give thumbs down to proposed European Super League

“It seems like the main objective is all about money. It definitely doesn’t sound very good from what we are hearing,” said Abdul Fattah Abdul Shaqur, who has supported Arsenal for 20 years.
“In a way, it does change a bit of my perception of the club. I grew up watching the club when Arsene Wenger was the manager. I always thought that as a club we would carry ourselves properly and stick to our values,” said Abdul Fattah.

“This is probably the biggest mistake the club has made so far (after Wenger left).”

It isn't just Europeans who hate this proposal.

Should note as well that Arsenal is still pretty much of screens in China, even with Ozil gone.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think most are hoping that this dies down and the owners back away from the brink. Obviously you don't want to get yourself on any bad lists one way or the other, so most are naturally staying quiet right now.

I think the owners have gone about this in the absolute worst way possible though. I feel like if they took a more measured, cautious and respectful approach it might actually have generated more useful discussion and possible acceptance instead of the outright anger and disgust that we're seeing instead.

Yeah but look who the owners of the teams are that are part of this. Not exactly known for subtlety .

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah but look who the owners of the teams are that are part of this. Not exactly known for subtlety .

I edited my post after your reply, but basically I agree.

The way this was suddenly sledgehammered in with all the details worked out already is basically giving people reason to have their worst fears realized of rich, snobby, elitist, secret cabals of owners gathering around their freemason tables behind the scenes, arranging for the destruction of centuries of proud tradition in order to line their own pockets.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ah I see some of the Florentino stuff has already been posted. I just read the whole thing, crazy interview. The arrogance is insane.
I don't think Perez is acting arrogantly, he just admitted that Real has lost a ton of money and this is one of the ways to fix that. Essentially, he's actually admitting to the public that his team is heading to the way of bankruptcy. We as fans are the ones who are disagreeing with his idea.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I much prefer a NA styled system in sports with rules on spending and expansion teams when the league is successful enough to have more viable teams and fanbases. That's a system where every team has a genuine shot at winning as long as they execute from top to bottom. And what we are seeing with the Super League isn't even like the NA pro leagues, it's more like NCAA Football and the power 5 + Notre Dame talking about breaking away from the NCAA.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think most of the opposition to it here is more we just don't have this organic collection of hundreds of clubs that could be meaningfully organized into a workable system. Soccer is probably the closest, but the lower tier leagues have a lot of ways to go to make it a reasonable proposition. I think the other leagues that have minor league systems are just too entrenched in their system to be able to adapt. The other issue is how the NCAA fits in.

While the parallels to our closed leagues are obvious, it still feels like this is more akin to the NHL O6 teams trying to splinter into their own league, or an NFL Super League with just the Cowboys, Giants, Patriots, Packers, Steelers, Raiders, Eagles, and Bears, etc...

Yeah this definitely feels more akin to the O6 being tired of losing to smaller market clubs and having to share revenue and going off to make their own league because no one wants to see small market teams win a cup. They want to see Montreal vs Toronto 15 times a year.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And for any of you gamers out there, this feels exactly like all the lootbox crap in recent years with Perez's interview being EA Battlefront 2's "pride and accomplishment" nonsense. Hopefully it ends up the same as it did there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad