SuperLeague a done deal (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Remember when Laporta said he was in Cruyff's spirit?
Cruyff once said "why can't we beat a richer team? I've never seen a bag of money score a goal".

Mes que un club.
Evilo's obligatory shot is out of the way. As you were gentlemen.

IDK Haaland's pretty big guy.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
For sure.

There are basically 3 groups of teams/owners involved here:

1) Spanish/Italian clubs who are broke and view this as a financial lifeline.
2) English teams with American owners who see more money in a US-style league system and don't really care a lick about tradition or history.
3) Coward teams who didn't really want this but caved because they felt they'd be left out if they didn't join (Man City, Chelsea).

Basically the first two groups are what made this happen and a couple other teams came along for the ride.

While I dont think its fair to blame the American owners (this has been Perez's dream/idea for a while it seems)

This is an interesting tidbit

To American sensibilities, of course, none of this is alien. The major professional leagues of North America all function as closed shops, unencumbered by the specter of promotion and relegation, and they are doing quite nicely, thank you. Their example has percolated into the thinking of not only those European clubs whose owners have interests in the N.F.L. or Major League Baseball, but of those who look on enviously both at the broadcast deals they can command and the cost control measures at their disposal.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Yes and people are resenting that. 10 years ago, it was other clubs. And in 10 years it should be possible to be others. Not with this project. The SPORTING results should drive the brand. Not the other way around.

Well of course, but it's clear that the sporting ramifications of such a competition aren't of importance when they're creating a league that grants relegation immunity to certain clubs.

Reactions: Evilo

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Never said it is.

It's mainly an American thing, but the arabs and the Russians are also to blame.
It isn’t though. It’s a human thing. Throughout history the rich and powerful in every country/religion/sport/culture have wanted to get as much money, power, and control as they possibly can. That’s been a thing long before America came around. Obviously they’re part of this shit show happening but they aren’t the entire reason that soccer is in the place that it is.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
That's actually the most "American" part of the scheme. Artificially keep salaries lowered to a certain level in the name of "competitive balance," while the price of everything related to your product continues to go up. You don't even necessarily need to have the best team or talent, per se, people will watch on brand recognition alone and players will still want to play for the most prominent/historical teams. It's the Toronto Maple Leafs scam. Cost certainty and record profits baby!

In 2000, the NFL salary cap was ~$62m. In 2025, it's expected to be $288m. Adjusted for inflation, it's a 190% increase. Leagues make more money, they pay players more.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So two things,

1) PTI are casual football fans and would prefer to see El Clasico or the Madrid derby every other day. They aren't tuning in to watch Burnley vs Soton or Union Berlin drawing against Freiburg. That's the essence of a casual fan and why it's more common in USA than in Europe.

2) I am wondering if we're going to see a mass exodus of players from the top 6 based on the quotes from the United group? Not that the ESL will go through, but just overall backlash from all the clubs agreeing together without their (the players) approval because that's a huge decision. I still don't think this goes through, but if Perez and the Illuminati wanted this to actually get done, they would've been much more transparent than Hellfire meetings in Masonic temples. I get Perez point though, a lot of clubs have lost money so why not get a weekday match of Juve vs Chelsea instead of Juventus scoring six against some ex-Soviet Union club in Romania or Bulgaria? What Perez isn't getting is that the lower level clubs in the 4th or 5th division are much more closer to bankruptcy than Real is...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So two things,

1) PTI are casual football fans and would prefer to see El Clasico or the Madrid derby every other day. They aren't tuning in to watch Burnley vs Soton or Union Berlin drawing against Freiburg. That's the essence of a casual fan and why it's more common in USA than in Europe.

2) I am wondering if we're going to see a mass exodus of players from the top 6 based on the quotes from the United group? Not that the ESL will go through, but just overall backlash from all the clubs agreeing together without their approval because that's a huge decision. I still don't think this goes through, but if Perez and the Illuminati wanted this to actually go through, they would've been much more transparent than Hellfire meetings in masonic temples. I get Perez point though, a lot of clubs have lost money so why not get a weekday match of Juve vs Chelsea instead of Juventus scoring six against some ex-Soviet Union club in Romania or Bulgaria? What Perez isn't getting is that the lower level clubs in the 4th or 5th division are more closer to bankruptcy than Real is...
Thing is Juve isn't scoring 6 on mid level teams as you say. They aren't not even in the CL next year.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
That's actually the most "American" part of the scheme. Artificially keep salaries lowered to a certain level in the name of "competitive balance," while the price of everything related to your product continues to go up. You don't even necessarily need to have the best team or talent, per se, people will watch on brand recognition alone and players will still want to play for the most prominent/historical teams. It's the Toronto Maple Leafs scam. Cost certainty and record profits baby!

See, it's not the Americans! It's those damn Canadians! :naughty:

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Players only complain because their current contracts don't include Super League matches. When they see that money come in, they'll happily play.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Also part of me wonders if they’ll try to pull something where they claim to have heard everyone’s complaints and then just modify it so that the original clubs can be relegated but have some crazy rules around it like not being able to happen for 10 years and requiring consecutive bottom of the table finishes or something.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Thing is Juve isn't scoring 6 on mid level teams as you say. They aren't not even in the CL next year.
That's just an example I used. I understand your point, but this ESL isn't technically based on this years results (or results for the past decade for that matter). All the clubs that joined except for Bayern are all known as "historically" big clubs in Europe and worldwide. I don't know if you've ever been to South America Evilo, but Barca is as popular there than it is to a person who was born in Rubi, Espana. Majority of the players that are currently in their prime from England were born as either United or Arsenal fans, no one else because those clubs have tradition. It's weird because this "tradition" is why they formed the ESL in the first place and why the fans hate it so effin' much. The players are not really a big consideration because if the ESL brings more funds, that means higher wages for the players and that'll make them have a 180 degrees in opinion. Especially if someone on Spurs is making twice as much as someone on PSG, that player might eventually want out from Paris and join one of the ESL clubs for more wages'.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah, players aren't in it for the money. They only ever demand transfers to bigger clubs for the glory and history.
Once again moving the goal posts are we?
I never said none were after the money.
You said they were after it.

Once again, you make the mistake of forgetting when some of those guys are coming from. Portugal, Sevilla, Germany, Belgium, France, etc... Some of those guys are very much attached to their countries of origin and the fact football there will be obliterated.
It's no surprise a guy like Bruno Fernandes or Ander Herrera have reacted like they have.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I’m trying to recall the last time an announcement like this was so universally hated.

Lebron James “The Decision” was at least liked by most of the 7 Miami Heat fans there were at the time.

With how the negotiations had been kept secret and with how mediocre half of the 12 included teams are with plenty of much better clubs missing this must've been obvious even to the 12 teams . They know this is not the correct time and nobody is asking for it and they went ahead with this anyway.

If that douche Rummenige says no to something like this you know its a bad idea.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Also part of me wonders if they’ll try to pull something where they claim to have heard everyone’s complaints and then just modify it so that the original clubs can be relegated but have some crazy rules around it like not being able to happen for 10 years and requiring consecutive bottom of the table finishes or something.

They aren't going to let themselves leave and they definitely don't want to lose the ability to sell $1 billion expansion franchises in NYC or Beijing.

Reactions: Burke's Evil Spirit

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That's just an example I used. I understand your point, but this ESL isn't technically based on this years results (or results for the past decade for that matter). All the clubs that joined except for Bayern are all known as "historically" big clubs in Europe and worldwide. I don't know if you've ever been to South America Evilo, but Barca is as popular there than it is to a person who was born in Rubi, Espana. Majority of the players that are currently in their prime from England were born as either United or Arsenal fans, no one else because those clubs have tradition. It's weird because this "tradition" is why they formed the ESL in the first place and why the fans hate it so effin' much. The players are not really a big consideration because if the ESL brings more funds, that means higher wages for the players and that'll make them have a 180 degrees in opinion. Especially if someone on Spurs is making twice as much as someone on PSG, that player might eventually want out from Paris and join one of the ESL clubs for more wages'.
No. Spurs are not a historic big club. Arsenal neither. City neither. Benfica, Ajax, Bayern are.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He guaranteed Madrid/City/Chelsea will play this year the CL games that they have left. GUARANTEED.
That is not as bad as the whole NT thing
For this year, I'm not sure if it can be done legally. But the NT can be perfectly done.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Once again moving the goal posts are we?
I never said none were after the money.
You said they were after it.

Once again, you make the mistake of forgetting when some of those guys are coming from. Portugal, Sevilla, Germany, Belgium, France, etc... Some of those guys are very much attached to their countries of origin and the fact football there will be obliterated.
It's no surprise a guy like Bruno Fernandes or Ander Herrera have reacted like they have.

It must be great to think "you're just moving the goal posts" is an actual response when you're proven foolish.

Ah yes. The ever-loyal and nationally-attached non-English player who plays for an English mega club and isn't at all in it for the money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad