SuperLeague a done deal (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Remember when Laporta said he was in Cruyff's spirit?
Cruyff once said "why can't we beat a richer team? I've never seen a bag of money score a goal".

Mes que un club.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Without Americans it wouldn't have been possible to make it happen.

Simple as.

For sure.

There are basically 3 groups of teams/owners involved here:

1) Spanish/Italian clubs who are broke and view this as a financial lifeline.
2) English teams with American owners who see more money in a US-style league system and don't really care a lick about tradition or history.
3) Coward teams who didn't really want this but caved because they felt they'd be left out if they didn't join (Man City, Chelsea).

Basically the first two groups are what made this happen and a couple other teams came along for the ride.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Since it wasn't the discussion I never figured you'd exclude half the teams. Then again, given your defense of the SL, it was obvious you didn't think other teams even exist, my mistake.
Sevilla has had more recent european success than most of the SL12. So.... Again...
As for Atalanta, they've been twice in the QF and on their way to qualify for next year over teams like Juve. Also were 2 minutes away from a semi final last year.

Why would you assume I'm excluding teams that are consistently in European play? That makes zero sense.

I haven't provided support for the Super League. I honestly don't know what to think about it right now. But I can see how it came to be and some of its probable effects if it ever actually plays, and I think a lot of the reaction is bordering on hysterics.

If Sevilla has a long history of European success, they don't qualify as team in this era who built long term success without a large injection of funds.

Atalanta is a small club with a small stadium in a small city on the edge of the Alps. There are MLS teams in better situations, hypothetically.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Do those teams have plans of moving from their home countries because there's a decent chance backlash would force them to relocate to i don't know the US , China , UAE , the moon ? . Its also why i don't think at the end of the day this will actually happen. Nobody outside a few rich guys and bandwagon "fans" on other continents have any interest in this.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Why would you assume I'm excluding teams that are consistently in European play? That makes zero sense.

I haven't provided support for the Super League. I honestly don't know what to think about it right now. But I can see how it came to be and some of its probable effects if it ever actually plays, and I think a lot of the reaction is bordering on hysterics.

If Sevilla has a long history of European success, they don't qualify as team in this era who built long term success without a large injection of funds.

Atalanta is a small club with a small stadium in a small city on the edge of the Alps. There are MLS teams in better situations, hypothetically.
You're excluding teams like Shaktar, Porto, and many others I named you because "they come from smaller leagues". What does it have to do with your original post (competitive while being a club without financial backing).
And no Sevilla hasn't benefited from the financial backing from your first post.

Anyway, it's useless, you made a post which was proved wrong again and again.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Without Americanization of Europe and our different cultures and the cancer that America are spreading, this would not have been possible. As soon as American owners are coming into any sport, it slowly gets destroyed.

Well the russian oligarchs and the arabic princes buying shares of teams haven't exactly been good either. It's not just americans.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well the russian oligarchs and the arabic princes buying shares of teams haven't exactly been good either. It's not just americans.
What is true is that without the american owners this would not happen. Barca, Real and Juve can't do this alone.
The US owners in the EPL have been greedy as f*** and that has tipped the balance quite clearly.

More importantly, the "non relegation" format is quite clearly US inspired.
Now does that make Perez, Laporta, Agnelli and others less responsible? Hell no ! But the US influence is quite clear.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
You're excluding teams like Shaktar, Porto, and many others I named you because "they come from smaller leagues". What does it have to do with your original post (competitive while being a club without financial backing).
And no Sevilla hasn't benefited from the financial backing from your first post.

Anyway, it's useless, you made a post which was proved wrong again and again.

I did not exclude teams who are champions of other significant leagues and routinely perform well in European competition. That was your misreading and instead of admitting that, you've continued to try and prove I'm wrong about something I never said.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I have to say that of course while I think this entire thing is a crock of shit, too many people are focused on the inclusion of clubs based on their recent success, which is really an irrelevant issue. Tottenham for example might not have a storied history in terms of trophies, but when it comes to financial and branding power they're most likely one of the top clubs in Europe in that regard, which is what this entire thing is about.

Reactions: gary69

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
This is a very interesting interview of Gervais Martel (former Lens president).
He explains that in 98, a superleague was VERY close. Names of the teams are given in the interviews. The two EPL teams backed off and the project fell.

Juve, Milan, Inter, Barca, Real, Bayern, BVB, Marseille, Feyenoord, Ajax, United and he doesn't remember if it was Arsenal or Liverpool.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Without Americanization of Europe and our different cultures and the cancer that America are spreading, this would not have been possible. As soon as American owners are coming into any sport, it slowly gets destroyed.
I mean are we going to ignore the owners from Russia and the Middle East that have pumped money into the game or do we just want to blame one country cuz it’s a fun narrative? This isn’t an American thing. This is a rich person thing and it’s happened all over the world since the beginning of humankind.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I know I said in the first thread that this is an American product, but I didn't even mean the owners. I mean the American fanbase and the $$$ potential it represents. And Americans are really just a stand-in for the global audience in general. Without that global audience Morgan Stanley wouldn't provide the backing for this. Teams like Spurs and Arsenal would never ever have been invited to this league without their overseas fan potential vs traditionally bigger teams. It's the time span 2002 through 2014 when European football - and the EPL - in particular started making massive cash outside of its European strongholds that the current 'super clubs' really emerged. The Spaniard and Italians want access to the EPL's global audience, the EPL teams want to make sure they're always in it and immune from challenges from other generously bankrolled EPL teams.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I have to say that of course while I think this entire thing is a crock of shit, too many people are focused on the inclusion of clubs based on their recent success, which is really an irrelevant issue. Tottenham for example might not have a storied history in terms of trophies, but when it comes to financial and branding power they're most likely one of the top clubs in Europe in that regard, which is what this entire thing is about.
Yes and people are resenting that. 10 years ago, it was other clubs. And in 10 years it should be possible to be others. Not with this project. The SPORTING results should drive the brand. Not the other way around.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
What is true is that without the american owners this would not happen. Barca, Real and Juve can't do this alone.
The US owners in the EPL have been greedy as f*** and that has tipped the balance quite clearly.

Now does that make Perez, Laporta, Agnelli and others less responsible? Hell no ! But the US influence is quite clear.
Oh and the whole scheme is funded by a f***ing crooked US bank too.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Never said it is.
I mean are we going to ignore the owners from Russia and the Middle East that have pumped money into the game or do we just want to blame one country cuz it’s a fun narrative? This isn’t an American thing. This is a rich person thing and it’s happened all over the world since the beginning of humankind.
It's mainly an American thing, but the arabs and the Russians are also to blame.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The founding members have decreed that spending on transfer fees and wages will be capped at a certain percentage of revenue, which — theoretically at least — gives owners far more chance to restrict their spending at the same time as they are maximizing their income.

I dont think this part will last if this thing comes to fruition.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

serp

Jan 17, 2016

The no relegation part of the league is particularly stupid considering half the league isn't even good.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I dont think this part will last if this thing comes to fruition.
That's actually the most "American" part of the scheme. Artificially keep salaries lowered to a certain level in the name of "competitive balance," while the price of everything related to your product continues to go up. You don't even necessarily need to have the best team or talent, per se, people will watch on brand recognition alone and players will still want to play for the most prominent/historical teams. It's the Toronto Maple Leafs scam. Cost certainty and record profits baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille