• [8] Vancouver Canucks

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • [8] New York Rangers

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
True, but barely, and it is pretty much all Josi when taking top 2 into consideration. At this stage Josi is definitely better than any of my top 3 dmen, but then I edge myself. Doughty is just that good in my eyes. On a super team like mine Doughty is easily a top 3 Norris consideration again.
I am not taking Doughty over any of my top 3 D, not even getting touched before Fox. He is done man, he's not old Doughty anymore. I have two Norris guys on my team, and Theodore is only a handful of points before your top 2 scoring dmen. I feel like people don't realize how dominant he was this season. I take Josi/Theodore/McAvoy over Hughes/Doughty/DeAngelo any day, throw in Fox as a 4. Josi was Norris calibre this year but so was Theodore and McAvoy is still vastly under appreciated. Your top 3 is definitely better than New Yorks though.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I am not taking Doughty over any of my top 3 D, not even getting touched before Fox. He is done man, he's not old Doughty anymore. I have two Norris guys on my team, and Theodore is only a handful of points before your top 2 scoring dmen. I feel like people don't realize how dominant he was this season. I take Josi/Theodore/McAvoy over Hughes/Doughty/DeAngelo any day, throw in Fox as a 4. Josi was Norris calibre this year but so was Theodore and McAvoy is still vastly under appreciated. Your top 3 is definitely better than New Yorks though.
That's where we strongly disagree. I think Doughty is still a beast, and not that far removed from his Norris Trophy in 2016. I would take Josi over Hughes and Deangelo, but Doughty on a team that is not rebuilding is better than Josi. I take Hughes over Theo and McAvoy any day of the week(and did) because he is that much more dynamic.

Edit: put Hughes on the Bruins, and not only would he be guaranteed Calder right now(easily a 60-70 pt dman with those forwards) but he may even have people talking about him in the Norris catigory this year. MCAvoy is good, but he also has the benefit of(what I feel) is the best first line in hockey to play with. Not to mention a solid 3rd line.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
That's where we strongly disagree. I think Doughty is still a beast, and not that far removed from his Norris Trophy in 2016. I would take Josi over Hughes and Deangelo, but Doughty on a team that is not rebuilding is better than Josi. I take Hughes over Theo and McAvoy any day of the week(and did) because he is that much more dynamic.
That's strongly debateable but your opinion and that's fine. I feel Doughty has really fallen off and while Hughes is good, he is not a 1D on a cup team yet, the kids a rookie and has to develop.

"Theodore’s season has been extra special when you factor in he spent the off-season recovering from testicular cancer. Despite that, he hasn’t missed a game and has been one of the most productive defencemen in the league. The 24-year-old has set career-highs with 13 goals and 46 points, and has seen his average ice time increase to over 22 minutes a night. On top of that, he leads all defencemen (minimum 1,000 minutes, according to Natural Stat Trick) in plenty of advanced stats, including Corsi For (58.50), Fenwick For (57.86) and on-ice shooting percentage (58.36). The Golden Knights have been looking for an elite defenceman for basically their entire team history and in Theodore they may have found it." This is from one article and if you have The Athletic you should read this one: Golden Knights' Shea Theodore is quietly becoming an elite...
^This is all about Shea Theodore, he was a monster this year. I love Hughes but he didn't hit Norris levels yet. I'm taking Hughes after my first two D and McAvoy after Hughes. Doughty after that maybe but I prefer the New York D

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Just 3 so far. I haven't voted yet, but will be doing so shortly. Feel free to send in your votes!
Oh wait we send you our votes? I thought it'd be threads, what about this "Voting will begin Saturday, May 9th @ 1pm eastern" I'm confused sorry, that was in the OP

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
Oh wait we send you our votes? I thought it'd be threads, what about this "Voting will begin Saturday, May 9th @ 1pm eastern" I'm confused sorry, that was in the OP
Officially voting starts tomorrow. It seems as though no one will be trading, and some people have made up their mind regardless of debating and arguments. No point in having a separate thread for each match-up, all match-up discussion will take place in this thread. You don't have to vote today but if you want to it is welcomed.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Officially voting starts tomorrow. It seems as though no one will be trading, and some people have made up their mind regardless of debating and arguments. No point in having a separate thread for each match-up, all match-up discussion will take place in this thread. You don't have to vote today but if you want to it is welcomed.
So when does it end, sometime tomorrow? Two days (until Sunday) seems very long

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I'll cast my votes later today after I hear some peoples arguments. Would've been good in poll format to open it up to people outside to vote too though

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
If you guys want we can still do that
I feel this is better since otherwise it could be super subjective but it'd be up to you obviously. Could always do a multi option poll in this thread like matchup 1 is A, Toronto or Ottawa, matchup 2 is B... etc, or in another thread same idea to save from making excessive threads. With 16 players if a handful don't vote the other way it'd get super subjective I feel like

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Matchup 6...
Columbus pros:
Elite forward group, among the best, literally everything forward related other than L4
Goalies are great
solid D

Winnipeg pros:
Who let him get McDavid + Zibanejad?
You have a Foligno, thats a plus for you in my voting (but actually D)
Another elite goalie

Columbus cons:
L4

Winnipeg cons:
I have questions about some of your forwards, Sanford, Donskoi, Nelson, Silfverberg, Perron for this comp and their roles

Overall:
Columbus top line is just awesome but McDavid will be very hard to contain, though Barkov is one of the best options to do it. so CL1 > WL1
I love Columbus L2 again, and Zibanejad is doing a lot of heavy lifting here in comparison so CL2 > WL2
Winnipeg idk what you were doing here with L3, can you explain maybe it'll help. Is it a shut down line? Regardless CL3 >WL3 for me because those forwards are great and Lindholms a cheat code that low
I actually much much prefer WL4 to CL4, and think it'd be able to match CL3, it's great and plays a heavy brand of hockey. One of my favourite 4th lines and should be hard to score on.
D1 is a wash, both great pairs bringing different elements
I'm taking CD2 here over WD2 but I could be convinced to change because thats a dirty second pair, I just love that Boston pair
WD3 > CD3 IMO because Weegar is an analytical darling and Petry is great whereas both Columbus D are just yeah sure, that works.
Goalies are totally a wash
Ultimately I'm taking Columbus as of now (can change for sure, nothings fixed!), it's about 60-40 for me going Columbus, the forward depth being the main deciding factor really tipping the scales. It'll just be hard to beat for Winnipeg though there are teams that can *cough Toronto cough*, and L1 isn't my absolute favourite. I wish Winnipeg had different wingers for McDavid.
1) Why would you have doubts about Perron, who put up 59 in 70, on a top line?
2) Do you not know who Mantha is? Gusev, in his debut season on a garbage Devils team, put up 33 points in his final 45 games. Ziba is not an island on this line.
3) Sanford-Nelson-Silfverberg isn't a shutdown line, but a physically powerful line for softer minutes. Silf is here as a defensive anchor.
4) Foligno-Staal-Donskoi is the shutdown line. Donskoi is here to rag the puck in o-zone. (Yes, maybe Silf should be here instead, but balance.)

5) Columbus' second line has half a line driver in Laine (his game is more than shooting). Monahan is a goalsuck, and Hoffman is a different kind of goal suck. It's a badly formed line.
6) Trocheck isn't that 75 point, super two-way forward that people thought he was going to be. He's a somewhat-selfish 50 point player with injury struggles.

He has a better top pair and marginally better third line, but that's it.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
1) Why would you have doubts about Perron, who put up 59 in 70, on a top line?
2) Do you not know who Mantha is? Gusev, in his debut season on a garbage Devils team, put up 33 points in his final 45 games. Ziba is not an island on this line.
3) Sanford-Nelson-Silfverberg isn't a shutdown line, but a physically powerful line for softer minutes. Silf is here as a defensive anchor.
4) Foligno-Staal-Donskoi is the shutdown line. Donskoi is here to rag the puck in o-zone. (Yes, maybe Silf should be here instead, but balance.)

5) Columbus' second line has half a line driver in Laine (his game is more than shooting). Monahan is a goalsuck, and Hoffman is a different kind of goal suck. It's a badly formed line.
6) Trocheck isn't that 75 point, super two-way forward that people thought he was going to be. He's a somewhat-selfish 50 point player with injury struggles.

He has a better top pair and marginally better third line, but that's it.
I think you give him one of the hardest runs by far man, your team is well built to match up with his. To point 1) I've just never been sold on Perron but regardless his top line is better, I feel it's tough to argue that. 2) I wanted Mantha man, I just think Zibanejad is doing a ton of the heavy lifting here, I didn't say it's a bad line. You ran into one of the deepest offensive groups in round one, your D is better, goalies wash out, I prefer the offensive group on his team so I'm leaning that way. It's not fixed by any means. 3) This makes sense, thanks for clarifying! 4) I love this line a lot 5) What's a goal suck? 6) I know what Trochek is but he's good for a 3C for this

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
A goal suck is a player whose entire purpose in life is to either get breakaways or ghost open for a shot. They don't contribute in any way otherwise.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Barkov even had a down season! His first line has too many puck carriers who are pass-first! I'vegot smart snipers paired with McDavid!

He should have Huberdeau-Barkov-Laine and Hoffman-Monahan-Voracek is a way better balance. Laine can assume a shooting role, and Voracek gets to be his one man breakout.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Mackinnon >>> Tavares, Kucherov >> Meier and Teraveinen both>>Benn
I feel that my 1st line has an edge here, my 2nd-4th lines are better as well. Miller is coming in with 72pts in 69 games and Debrincat is a proven 40g scorer. Reinhart is solid as well.
My Defense just destroys yours, and my goaltending is stronger as well. Murray has been losing his starting job this season. Doughty and Binnington both have cups btw ;)
The league has changed since 94. If Messier rag dolled Linden today like he did in game 6 of the SCF he would now be playing in game 7.
Also Meier is known to be quit physical, and Mackinnon is simply and unstoppable beast.
My first line has more goals this year than yours, you got Mackinnon early, pure luck. After that you got nothing, you say DeBrincat is a proven 40 goal score? He got 41, once, Connor Brown has as many points and he’s on my 4th line and I picked him late lol. My Defence is stellar, to attack my defence is insane. Goaltending? Murray was 20-11 and something, I can’t remember but if that’s what you call decline then so be it.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
My first line has more goals this year than yours, you got Mackinnon early, pure luck. After that you got nothing, you say DeBrincat is a proven 40 goal score? He got 41, once, Connor Brown has as many points and he’s on my 4th line and I picked him late lol. My Defence is stellar, to attack my defence is insane. Goaltending? Murray was 20-11 and something, I can’t remember but if that’s what you call decline then so be it.

I am so here for this heated battle :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad