Super Mario Maker 2

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Interesting

There is a way to successfully do it every time, no RNG involved or anything. You just need to step on the Koopa on the ground before the one that's flying at that part. I am surprised people are having so much trouble with that spot

I honestly could have misunderstood the set up, but I died ~30-40 times IIRC before exiting and the koopas along the row of munchers seemed to move around on me every time

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Interesting

There is a way to successfully do it every time, no RNG involved or anything. You just need to step on the Koopa on the ground before the one that's flying at that part. I am surprised people are having so much trouble with that spot

Cool concept but way too much trial and error. Better indicators on where to fall or where the koopas will be would help a ton.

Last edited:
Reactions: Realgud

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That happens. The inherent problem with level design (i fall into this pitfall a good amount too) is you become bias to it. You test, and test, and test it and you go "well this works for me" without realizing there could be an assload of little things you overlook or straight up miss because you're only one person.

I missed some even dumber things in my levels. lol.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
:laugh: one of my mates completely killed it and exposed a bunch of things in the level i didn't even notice

That looks a lot like how I beat it, except your friend is really good and I'm enormously average, but yeah if you don't know how those enemies behave I can understand how you would see that and go "what the--?!"

I originally thought you meant it to be sort of speedran like that straight up and down in the video and was dying because I was a little too quick and sloppy, basically slow down your friend's clip and kill a few more koopas/ hammer bros along the way and that was my strat for the level

Last edited:

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
PBT-57J-BLF

this one took me 193 attempts to pass clear check but is probably significantly easier when you're able to use the checkpoint. had to fix it around a bit because it was easy to softlock yourself before.

hopefully bowser jr's paralyzing jump gets fixed in a later patch -- that's what i'm banking on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
PBT-57J-BLF

this one took me 193 attempts to pass clear check but is probably significantly easier when you're able to use the checkpoint. had to fix it around a bit because it was easy to softlock yourself before.

hopefully bowser jr's paralyzing jump gets fixed in a later patch -- that's what i'm banking on.

Left you a nice little comment with an HF theme :vhappy:

Reactions: Josepho

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
My levels are exploding in popularity without even promoting them. :laugh:

The fortress one i made kinda stalled out at 100 likes but my switch palace one was getting decent likes...only for it to erupt in like the past few days with a total of like 50 likes out of nowhere. With a spike like that, it makes me wonder if it popped up on a twitch stream or something.

Although i do have to say that switch level i made was a damn fine piece of work.

Edit: I tried Barb's Terminator level. No dice. Tried Panga's stuff. He's a madman that needs to be stopped from making levels.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Alright after a combination of some delay (job hunt sucks) and playing other stuff i finally got around to all of your levels!

Save the Crown: Giant Claw (eternal sunshine): First thing's first...that is not medium difficulty platforming. :laugh: For the most part, i feel it's a pretty well designed course. The only thing i'd say is i don't think the 35 coin condition is needed when the level itself is quite the trek. I was going to grill you about checkpoints as well, but for how easy it gets after that last falling icicle jump i think you're good. Pretty well done!

Randy's 1-2. (Butternubs): Not a mindblowing level in any sense of the word in terms of creativity, but that's okay. Not every level needs to be a innovative masterpiece. I enjoyed it and for some reason the Sumo Bro at the end constantly jumping back into the claw made me feel like his eyes said "just ****ing kill me already.* Enjoyed it.

Land of the Giant Koopas: (Pay Carl) Gonna be totally honest, i thought this level was pretty bad for a multitude of reasons. For starters, the giant koopa's hitboxes are kinda screwy, so even if it looks like you can hit them, you die. Secondly, there's not enough guidance on where the koopas are, and if you miss a couple you're screwed and have no way to change course. Third, the intended setup to continue the level can wipe all the koopas waiting at the bottom out, leaving you to die. Fourth, it's incredibly hard to tell what exactly you're supposed to do when you get to the bottom. Levels are okay if they're challenging. But there's a difference in being designed to be as such (like the claw level), or a level that leaves the player having to do trial and error multiple times because of poorly designed mechanics. Feel like this would work better with a cape or tail, something to give you more control in the air. And then maybe you can add like spike walls to give it more precision.

Verti (Josepho): I really enjoyed this one. A wall kick based level that didn't make me want to scream. I like how while it's one big level, it's broken up into several smaller mini-challenges. Takes a mix of platforming and thinking how to progress. Nice job!

Segreta Gratino (Josepho): Very similar idea to the first level. Big level, but broken into a multitude of smaller challenges. Some of them that are easy, others not so much (the tornados, man. I think the entire community is about done with how janky they feel)

Overall, i think Jo's levels were the best of the bunch. While they don't look the same on paper, they both follow a very simple design philosophy but then amp up the complexity by breaking it apart.

I plan on getting going on a new level soon. Thinking a water level since i've never worked with that theme/tileset.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I still haven't put any time into making a real level. Have only been playing others.

I had a couple levels in the last game that got kinda popular. They all used the special mushrooms for alternate costumes though. I really miss that feature.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Good news for everyone who's made a bunch of levels. Nintendo has increased the upload limit from 32 to 64. The limit is going to be increased again at some point, though they didn't say when nor what the limit will be increased to.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That happens. The inherent problem with level design (i fall into this pitfall a good amount too) is you become bias to it. You test, and test, and test it and you go "well this works for me" without realizing there could be an assload of little things you overlook or straight up miss because you're only one person.

I missed some even dumber things in my levels. lol.

You have to develop a legit beta tester mindset where you go outside the box to try and break the level or cheese it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Made my first ever level. Started out just goofing around but I do think there's enough challenge here in spite of how stupid it looks. It is beatable too since I did it a few times.

FWX-RS6-TDF

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad