Super Mario Maker 2

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Now that I think about it, I'll probably grab a physical copy since I can just throw down an extra $10 and get a year of the online service with it. Pretty hard deal to beat.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I honestly don't really care that it isn't a feature. I get enough friend-raging from Mario Kart and Party.

Besides it's not like you can voice chat with your friends anyway.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I most likely would play more often with randos as well, but it’s just so weird to not have it as a feature.

Someone asked if you could plug a mouse into the Switch’s USB port and level build with it and they got a no.

Overall though the impressions from the last press event is the game is really robust.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Seems there's at least one unannounced game style (possible DLC?). The 3D World style is located in a subsection all by itself, with an empty space next to it:

This makes some sense because the 3D world maps have features unique to that style. They can’t be used in the other styles.

Mario 2 would be similar since it would have its own unique tools

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY

Leave it to Nintendo to make the stupidest decisions. :facepalm:

And Nintendo be like:

Uqvhf46.jpg

Good on Nintendo for listening to the fans' reaction to the initial decision of not being able to play online with friends and quickly fixing it (even if there will be a bit of a wait).

Last edited:

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I'll definitely be picking this up. Looks great. (Even though I probably won't make that many levels, I love the concept of discovering good player made maps)

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I will once its made. Chipping away at the story mode right now which is surprisingly...fleshed out.

Basically a stupid long how to tutorial that shows off a bunch of different mechanics/ideas.

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
First level done. I thought it turned out pretty well. It's vaguely inspiried by one of the castle levels in Yoshi's Island. 4 different paths based on elements, you need 3 keys total to finish the level. It's called elemental fortress. Took me forever to reconfigure the checkpoints so the level is actually beatable if you die.

F94-LFJ-LTF

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
CDG-6YH-GCG (Same level as above, but a buddy of mine caught an enormous flaw in the fire path room that i had to patch up)

If anyone tried it here, try it again. Plays a lot smoother now.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I uploaded my first one yesterday. No one has played it yet. :laugh:

I'll post the code later today -- currently drinking with a co-worker.

And I'll play your courses later today -- currently drinking with a co-worker. I doubt that goes well for me.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I uploaded my first one yesterday. No one has played it yet. :laugh:

I'll post the code later today -- currently drinking with a co-worker.

And I'll play your courses later today -- currently drinking with a co-worker. I doubt that goes well for me.

It gets better once you get your first like. Then it'll pop up in endless challenge and the like.

I also strongly recommend pimping the **** out of it on the Mario Maker reddit. They have a daily level exchange thread where you can post it. Or what you can do is play the levels that get posted, and then reply to them with yours. (along with any criticisms/feedback you have) For the most part, they're a good bunch and will happily play yours since you took the time to look at theirs.

Really good bunch in that thread, creative mofos too.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
CDG-6YH-GCG (Same level as above, but a buddy of mine caught an enormous flaw in the fire path room that i had to patch up)

If anyone tried it here, try it again. Plays a lot smoother now.

I'm not good enough.

TFW-8DW-C0H

about to try yours @Blitzkrug

I dislike you. But at least I was able to complete your stage. :laugh:

My collect 100 coins stage: 74W-8JD-F5G

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
There are ~5 forced deaths/ kaizo blocks but for a good chunk of it I just wanted it to be precision/ platforming

Tried to keep it light for my first upload :laugh:

Going to play yours in a bit @Randy Butternubs

Also had to put your level down the other night @Blitzkrug but I will try again

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Finished up my first course

Y96-57C-HXF

Give it a shot and let me know what you think!

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I’m gonna get around to playing people’s soon

I mostly play at work where I’m not on WiFi so I can’t play online courses

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I’m gonna get around to playing people’s soon

I mostly play at work where I’m not on WiFi so I can’t play online courses

If you were a true #HFBro you would download them at home so that you can play them offline later , come on man where is the commitment?! :eek:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
@Blitzkrug teach me how to make an artfully difficult and rewarding level

Honestly i can't take full credit for that level. It was somewhat inspired by Yoshi's Island (the having 4 mini courses in one part anyway) while the rest i just tinkered around with until i felt it was where i wanted it to be. The part with the skewers and claws alone took about 3 hours of meticulous tweaking to get it where i felt comfortable. A good chunk of it outside of the main hub room was just me on the fly mucking around with different parts/ideas

There's two pieces of advice i can give

1. When starting out, the best way to build a level imo is find a singular mechanic/component/theme you want to build your level around. When i first designed the room in which you start my level, i was like "i know it's gonna be four rooms, but what do i want the rooms to be?" The first thing i thought of was maybe i could do something with the icicles they added, then i thought oh okay, let's make this part ice based. Then i'm like what goes with ice? fire! and then i was like let's make it about elements! It's a flow chart type thing haha. I realize this might be a bit counter-intuitive since my level is technically taking multiple mechanics/ideas, but it still started as a singular thing.

So for example, say you like the on/off switches. That's a start! Now think of all the ideas you can incorporate into it in terms of maybe hazards, puzzle stuff, etc. When you got that figured out, you now have your core idea! Then it's just a matter of filling it out with enemies, other stuff like jumps, etc.

2. Watch this;

Tips from from arguably one of the biggest creative forces behind all of the old school Mario games. The one about setting out to create a great level in particular is a very good thing to understand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad