Super Mario Maker 2

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I actually liked the 2nd one to some degree once I got the hang of it, made for some good twitch content :laugh:

The first one was cruel and unusual

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yeah. I don't know. Keep in mind I'm new to this. And pretty new to level design in general. I bought the game more to play others' levels.

The first one was really just a goof.

I think you are over thinking level design. Not every square needs to be a challenge.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think you are over thinking level design. Not every square needs to be a challenge.
That's fair. But I also designed the second one after I did one of those tough 30 second speed runs so that was kind of my inspiration but I thought putting a time limit on it would be a dick move.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I actually liked the 2nd one to some degree once I got the hang of it, made for some good twitch content :laugh:

The first one was cruel and unusual
:laugh:

I literally just ran those goombas over springs to see what would happen and found it so funny I that I ran with it. But I also realized I couldn't publish without clearing so I threw in those mushrooms to make it possible to get through without it being a total crapshoot. Basically the thing is you gotta run through as quick as you can, hopefully grabbing a second mushroom if you take damage, and exploit the damaged invincibility to run through the end part then the last half isn't so hard.

With the second level it's kind of amusing to me that it has such a catastrophically low clear rate since I can clear it in 4 to 5 tries but I'm aware that it's because I know it better than anyone. And in fairness, I know that the first half is super rough without there being a checkpoint but the problem is I couldn't do a checkpoint until after I was done with all the ON/OFF blocks because for some reason the checkpoint would reset the order on those in the second room. So I literally could not clear the map to pass clear check until I deleted the checkpoint and moved it later into the level.

I tried to make it challenging but not gruelingly unforgiving. Like it's a level that punishes mistakes but also one where you only need to have perfect precision in one part (the falling through the spikes part). I occasionally jump into the "new" playlist and will try random levels that are so brutally demanding. Like you need every second of your run to be perfectly precise or you have to start over, and I don't have patience for those. I just give up and don't give it a like. I tried to model the level after the ones that are hard but don't require you to be a Mario savant to clear.

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
@HanSolo just saw your comment :laugh:

Try "Save the Crown: Claw Mountain" - it is hard but it is a real level, all my other ones are trolly garbage for my friends to get tilted on

Reactions: HanSolo

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I have played infinitely less SMM2 than I did the original on Wii U.

It just isnt as fun making courses as it was using the two screens Wii U afforded. It is probably the only Switch port that was much better on the Wii U.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Major update incoming!

New stuff:
  • SMB2 Mushroom
  • SMB3 Frog Suit
  • SMW P-Balloon
  • NSMBU Super Acorn and Boomerang Flower
  • Cannon, Propeller, and Red POW Boxes
  • Goomba and Bullet Bill masks
  • Koopalings
  • Mechakoopas (both the original from SMW and a bunch of new variants)
  • OVERWORLD MAKER

Last edited:
Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad