NFL GDT: Super Bowl LVII: (AFC) Kansas City Chiefs vs (NFC) Philadelphia Eagles

KC vs PHI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Anyone complaining that the refs screwed the Eagles is wrong. I dont like the fact that they didn't call any holding penalties all game but the Eagles had to make one stop in the 2nd half and couldn't. The end. The Eagles lose a bunch of defensive players and Ideally their coordinators but they have the best quarterback in the NFC and their offense will be dynamic. It's an offense league.
Eagles drafted Kelce’s replacement last year in Jurgens. May need to draft Johnson’s replacement as he’s hinted about hanging them up too.

They need OT, CB and DL with their top 3 picks in the first 2 rounds.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Eagles drafted Kelce’s replacement last year in Jurgens. May need to draft Johnson’s replacement as he’s hinted about hanging them up too.

They need OT, CB and DL with their top 3 picks in the first 2 rounds.
I dont think Kelce will retire. Agree about their draft needs. But just look at the NFC they still should be a playoff team. Just think it will be difficult to get this close again for a bit.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I dont think Kelce will retire. Agree about their draft needs. But just look at the NFC they still should be a playoff team. Just think it will be difficult to get this close again for a bit.
They should know about both Kelce and Johnson before the draft. Can adjust draft needs accordingly if Johnson opts to return. A lot of turnover in that D. CGJ, Cox, Graham, Bradberry, and the likes of Suh and Joseph who were there mid season need to be replaced if they don’t come back.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
198qcitjmvha1.png

Can't tell if this joking or not, if not....

These aren't even comparable or close. If you've watched enough ball and understand the NFL's interpretation of a catch, you knew it was incomplete right away and not close to a catch and fumble. They always err on that side and let the play continue in case it was right, because obviously the play/return is over if it's blown dead.

I didn't think for one second it would stand.

That said, the weak holding call removed any chance of a comeback from the eagles but it wasn't why they lost. They blew a 10 point halftime lead, they couldn't get a stop in the 2nd half, they allowed 2 crawl-in red zone touchdowns on 3rd down in the 4th quarter, the vaunted pass rush wasn't really to be seen.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Can't tell if this joking or not, if not....

These aren't even comparable or close. If you've watched enough ball and understand the NFL's interpretation of a catch, you knew it was incomplete right away and not close to a catch and fumble. They always err on that side and let the play continue in case it was right, because obviously the play/return is over if it's blown dead.

I didn't think for one second it would stand.

That said, the weak holding call removed any chance of a comeback from the eagles but it wasn't why they lost. They blew a 10 point halftime lead, they couldn't get a stop in the 2nd half, they allowed 2 crawl-in red zone touchdowns on 3rd down in the 4th quarter, the vaunted pass rush wasn't really to be seen.
Given the ruling on the Smith catch and the Sanders fumble, the NFL applied the interpretation of a catch correctly in both cases.

Smith, had control, with 2 feet down, plus a football move of a 3rd step, but he didn't survive the ground. Thus incomplete and overturned.

Sanders had control with 2 feet, but no 3rd step or football move, thus ruled incomplete and overturned.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Anyone complaining that the refs screwed the Eagles is wrong. I dont like the fact that they didn't call any holding penalties all game but the Eagles had to make one stop in the 2nd half and couldn't. The end. The Eagles lose a bunch of defensive players and Ideally their coordinators but they have the best quarterback in the NFC and their offense will be dynamic. It's an offense league.
My complaint is one of greed. I wanted more. The game was awesome.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
As it was explained to you, the refs screwed up. And then the Niners compounded the refs mistake with one of their own. That's still on them.

It sucked then but the truth is that the Niners were completely f***ed no matter what the instant Purdy went down and that the Niners media tour whinefest just has them looking like complete babies. That call is so low on the list of reasons as to why SF lost the game.
That call changed the entire game. If it’s called properly the 49ers get the ball and the play that Purdy later gets hurt on never happens. Maybe he gets hurt at another point or the 49ers lose organically, but we’ll never know since it wasn’t called right.

49ers definitely have their share of the blame, said that since it happened, but if the point of review is to get all the key calls right, then rules need to improve.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
That defensive line for the eagles should be embarrassed

garbage performance

that is not an all-time defensive line like they tried to hype them up to be.

Well then you have to give credit to KC’s OL. They were exceptional last night. I expected Philly’s to be good and they were.
All in all I thought the line play was a wash by both teams and both QBs pretty much had time to do what they wanted all night.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021

Also the first betting favourite to blow a double digit halftime lead (Patriots -3). This one’s gonna sting in Philly

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That call changed the entire game. If it’s called properly the 49ers get the ball and the play that Purdy later gets hurt on never happens. Maybe he gets hurt at another point or the 49ers lose organically, but we’ll never know since it wasn’t called right.

49ers definitely have their share of the blame, said that since it happened, but if the point of review is to get all the key calls right, then rules need to improve.
There are replays for turnovers, scoring plays, inside 2 minutes, now the expedited reviews and coaches challenges. That’s a lot of plays that can be reviewed.

Expedited review if they get an angle quick enough to correct the call before the ball is snapped they will use it.

But if the team is hurrying to snap the ball with 20 seconds left on the play clock that’s probably not enough time for the expedited review to find an angle. That then falls on the HC to use a challenge.

If that smith catch was outside of 2 minutes and the eagles were hurrying to the line I doubt the expedited review would have been able to stop the play and correct it. Not given the amount of time they spent reviewing the play when the booth review called down. It would have fallen on Reid to challenge the completed pass.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Come on, it didn't change the entire game. They could have made a stand and not let Sanders walk in untouched.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

Chiefs’ second half drives:

TD
TD
TD
FG (could’ve had a TD)

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Come on, it didn't change the entire game. They could have made a stand and not let Sanders walk in untouched.
It changed the entire way the game would have went. SF would have had the ball at their own 35 with a 0-0 score and there’s a more than likely chance that the play Purdy has his elbow snapped never happens. To say this isn’t fact is just wrong.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is the 9th year in a row that the team who won the coin toss won the game.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It changed the entire way the game would have went. SF would have had the ball at their own 35 with a 0-0 score and there’s a more than likely chance that the play Purdy has his elbow snapped never happens. To say this isn’t fact is just wrong.
Then shanahan should have challenged it since it was a 4th down play.

Expedited review didn’t have the time to find the right replay angle by the time the eagles were hurrying to snap the ball. If the team isn’t rushing to snap the ball maybe the replay booth catches it and calls down. But the eagles moved quickly.

Thus it fell on Shanahan to throw the challenge flag. Even if he lost that one TO in first half are not crippling to lose. Down to 1 challenge for the game.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Then shanahan should have challenged it since it was a 4th down play.

Expedited review didn’t have the time to find the right replay angle by the time the eagles were hurrying to snap the ball. If the team isn’t rushing to snap the ball maybe the replay booth catches it and calls down. But the eagles moved quickly.

Thus it fell on Shanahan to throw the challenge flag. Even if he lost that one TO in first half are not crippling to lose. Down to 1 challenge for the game.
Sure, if you assume the refs wouldn’t f*** up 2 more blatant calls in the last 57 minutes of game play. The same crew that later ignored an obvious false start on SF and called it a fumble due to their ineptitude, which ended up being another 7 pts Philly didn’t earn legit.

I’m not as comfortable assuming a crew that performed as badly as this one iwould call the rest of any game well. I would rather they hire some refs that can call a good game in the moment than put the onus of their job on the coaches, especially when you only get 2-3 challenges a game.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sure, if you assume the refs wouldn’t f*** up 2 more blatant calls in the last 57 minutes of game play. The same crew that later ignored an obvious false start on SF and called it a fumble due to their ineptitude, which ended up being another 7 pts Philly didn’t earn legit.

I’m not as comfortable assuming a crew that performed as badly as this one iwould call the rest of any game well. I would rather they hire some refs that can call a good game in the moment than put the onus of their job on the coaches, especially when you only get 2-3 challenges a game.
Since returning to replay they’ve added that scores and turnovers get reviewed and encourage refs to let the play go over blowing it dead unless they are very confident it was dead. That allows replay to fix the call.

Add in the expedited review and there are now way more plays that get reviewed than before.

Will there still be plays that should be overturned? Yes, if teams are rushing. But HC today aren’t Mike martz and use up challenges on 5-6 yard plays on first and second down early in the game. Use the challenges as you see fit.

Reid would have thrown a challenge if the Smith catch was before the final 2 minutes of the half of rhe eagles were rushing to the line Ike they do vs SF.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Which makes him different than Brady, doesn't it?
It's still cheating whether you get caught or not.

did Brady out play him, or just found a way to cheat, that no one caught onto?:confused:
You tried to imply that Brady only beat Mahomes because he was cheating.

Do you have any proof or are we just throwing shit against the wall to deflect from that fact that Brady beat Mahomes twice in the playoffs?

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Bias doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it. If they called a penalty that has been ignored on both sides all game that is unacceptable and the official should be blackballed.

Agreed. My argument was that I don’t think there was bias. I was going after the Eagles tinfoil hatters.

PS I personally would have never thrown that holding flag.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad