NFL GDT: Super Bowl LVII: (AFC) Kansas City Chiefs vs (NFC) Philadelphia Eagles

KC vs PHI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Hurts drop was why Philly lost , was the only mistake either team made , they had plenty of opportunity to win this game but the turnover cost them, unfortunately.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hurts drop was why Philly lost , was the only mistake either team made , they had plenty of opportunity to win this game but the turnover cost them, unfortunately.
As I've noted, it's not inconsequential, but that wasn't the game-changer you'd expect. The Eagles went up by 10 after that. If the Eagles get one stop in the second half, Hurts is the undisputed MVP of the game. Fine lines and all, it was just a thing among many things the Eagles cumulatively failed to overcome as opposed to the thing considering they had already overcome it in short order.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
As I've noted, it's not inconsequential, but that wasn't the game-changer you'd expect. The Eagles went up by 10 after that. If the Eagles get one stop in the second half, Hurts is the undisputed MVP of the game. Fine lines and all, it was just a thing among many things the Eagles cumulatively failed to overcome as opposed to the thing considering they had already overcome it in short order.
All true , I just see the one mistake being very costly when losing by less than 7. It happened early and Philly had chances but if not for the scoop and score Philly most likely wins.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I also didn't like KC taking a knee with 1:53 on the clock ,it seemed really chicken shit ,yes I know it's the smart ,best way to win it kinda ruined what was a good game.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr John Carlson

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Every team on the planet would've done that if in the same situation.
Yep. You take a knee. We saw what happened to Cleveland vs jets when they scored to go up 13 the jets got a TD and recovered the onside kick them scored again to win the game.

Game was tied. And they were in FG range. Milk it and leave phi under 10 seconds to do something.

I was surprised that Philly didn’t throw a quick out for 8-10 yards. They started on like their 35. 8-10 yards put it at their 45. Started with 6 seconds so 8 yard out could have done it in 4-5 seconds. Leaves Hurts to throw a Hail Mary 65 yards into the Endzone accounting for his drop getting the ball a couple of yards behind the goal line.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It changed the entire way the game would have went. SF would have had the ball at their own 35 with a 0-0 score and there’s a more than likely chance that the play Purdy has his elbow snapped never happens. To say this isn’t fact is just wrong.

You're taking two completely unrelated events and acting as if they had an effect on the other. Who the hell knows whether Purdy gets injured if the play is called back but to pretend one had a direct effect on the other is really flawed and that's putting it kindly.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
All true , I just see the one mistake being very costly when losing by less than 7. It happened early and Philly had chances but if not for the scoop and score Philly most likely wins.
If it's the 4th quarter than yeah, it is *the* defining play. They didn't unravel though, I think that's the key part of it. Eagles still gained control of the gain in spite of it. As time goes on, I don't think that's what people will remember. It's going to be Andy Reid and Mahomes pantsing the Eagles defense in the second half and beating them on the same play twice to score touchdowns.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If it's the 4th quarter than yeah, it is *the* defining play. They didn't unravel though, I think that's the key part of it. Eagles still gained control of the gain in spite of it. As time goes on, I don't think that's what people will remember. It's going to be Andy Reid and Mahomes pantsing the Eagles defense in the second half and beating them on the same play twice to score touchdowns.
One thing to be beaten on the first one but the DC and DB coach have to adjust. Let the outside CB and slot DB know what they need to do if they see it again. Does the outside CB stay with his guy or does he switch to the motion man. Someone messed up.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
One thing to be beaten on the first one but the DC and DB coach have to adjust. Let the outside CB and slot DB know what they need to do if they see it again. Does the outside CB stay with his guy or does he switch to the motion man. Someone messed up.
I think nobody messed up. They ran their defense because they don't scheme intently or make adjustments. They line their guys up, run 2 deep safeties, no blitzes, and just tell everyone to go out and be better than the other guy. And that stuff works when the other quarterback isn't good enough to just decide he's going to win games. The 'messing up' is the philosophy. They didn't know how to answer. The tried-and-true method, or at least best way, to beat Mahomes, is to pressure. And if you're not getting there with 4, then that's it, you gonna get got.

Funny thing is, after the 1st quarter, they secondary got Kelce under control. Doing that opened everything else. I think I made a post about this before the game about how KC had to get Kelce more touches, but it worked in reverse.

This was almost like 20-D chess by Andy to win a Super Bowl. Absolutely refuse to run the ball for 20 years, especially the 14 he was in Philly, and then play then in the Super Bowl and shock their shit by coming out in the second half and run the ball. Nobody in Philly would've ever expected it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think nobody messed up. They ran their defense because they don't scheme intently or make adjustments. They line their guys up, run 2 deep safeties, no blitzes, and just tell everyone to go out and be better than the other guy. And that stuff works when the other quarterback isn't good enough to just decide he's going to win games. The 'messing up' is the philosophy. They didn't know how to answer. The tried-and-true method, or at least best way, to beat Mahomes, is to pressure. And if you're not getting there with 4, then that's it, you gonna get got.

Funny thing is, after the 1st quarter, they secondary got Kelce under control. Doing that opened everything else. I think I made a post about this before the game about how KC had to get Kelce more touches, but it worked in reverse.

This was almost like 20-D chess by Andy to win a Super Bowl. Absolutely refuse to run the ball for 20 years, especially the 14 he was in Philly, and then play then in the Super Bowl and shock their shit by coming out in the second half and run the ball. Nobody in Philly would've ever expected it.
Seattle’s cover 3 scheme they run there are ways to take advantage of their rules. Back in the LOB days the Seahawks had the talent to just be better than the opposition. When the talent eroded the scheme for exposed.

When a team beats you with a play they will likely try it one more time later on the game. Have to be ready for it.

Reactions: The Note

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
i know,i get it..anything else would have been a fire able offence ,it just felt weak... Like Daver dolling out grace periods to crosby for not winning scoring titles .I wished the RB would have punched it in in a brain dead play and win the game on D.

Last edited:
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Seattle’s cover 3 scheme they run there are ways to take advantage of their rules. Back in the LOB days the Seahawks had the talent to just be better than the opposition. When the talent eroded the scheme for exposed.

When a team beats you with a play they will likely try it one more time later on the game. Have to be ready for it.

I want to know if the Eagles ever ran that corn dog play in practice. It was in Doug's playbook because he beat them with it. Sirianni is on the tree. You get beat once and guess wrong, ok. Twice though? With 2 weeks to prepare? That's like a slap in the face. KC had to be laughing it up on the sideline. That told almost everything I needed to know about Gannon.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Unless Juju and Bradberry have some sort of relationship off the field that's a bad look. Bradberry (and all the Eagles really) took the high road on everything. Parade is tomorrow, just enjoy that rather than taking shots after you've already won.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Unless Juju and Bradberry have some sort of relationship off the field that's a bad look. Bradberry (and all the Eagles really) took the high road on everything. Parade is tomorrow, just enjoy that rather than taking shots after you've already won.
Juju is all about social media clout, but the bottom line is that when you're a winner you don't really give a shit what everyone else says.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Juju is all about social media clout, but the bottom line is that when you're a winner you don't really give a shit what everyone else says.
Fair enough. As a Chiefs fan I recoiled a bit when I saw it just because it seems so unnecessary. I had no problem with the team at large throwing all that shit back at Cincinnati after the week leading up to the AFCCG, because the Bengals had plenty of that coming. But, the Eagles didn't do anything before or after the game that seemed to warrant kicking Bradberry while he's down.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
not really that's so idiotic if you aren't ahead you take the TD when teams give it to you. Its honestly easier to stop a team from getting a TD rather than hope your kicker makes a chip shot which kickers have been shanking most of the year. Luckily it paid off for them but most of the teams that make this stupid analytic decision get burned by a kicker missing teams rarely get punished for simply taking the TD and with 10 seconds left there is actually a pretty decent chance the other team can get in FG range and make a long one since now they aren't forced to go 75+ for a TD. Relying on the guy who makes less than a million to win the game is the best way to lose a game. If you are winning sure its always the right play but if you are losing or tied its just plain stupid.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
not really that's so idiotic if you aren't ahead you take the TD when teams give it to you. Its honestly easier to stop a team from getting a TD rather than hope your kicker makes a chip shot which kickers have been shanking most of the year. Luckily it paid off for them but most of the teams that make this stupid analytic decision get burned by a kicker missing teams rarely get punished for simply taking the TD and with 10 seconds left there is actually a pretty decent chance the other team can get in FG range and make a long one since now they aren't forced to go 75+ for a TD. Relying on the guy who makes less than a million to win the game is the best way to lose a game. If you are winning sure its always the right play but if you are losing or tied its just plain stupid.
Butker signed for $20 mill over 5 seasons.

Reactions: GKJ

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
not really that's so idiotic if you aren't ahead you take the TD when teams give it to you. It’s honestly easier to stop a team from getting a TD rather than hope your kicker makes a chip shot which kickers have been shanking most of the year. Luckily it paid off for them but most of the teams that make this stupid analytic decision get burned by a kicker missing teams rarely get punished for simply taking the TD and with 10 seconds left there is actually a pretty decent chance the other team can get in FG range and make a long one since now they aren't forced to go 75+ for a TD. Relying on the guy who makes less than a million to win the game is the best way to lose a game. If you are winning sure its always the right play but if you are losing or tied it’s just plain stupid.
It’s a lot easier to not give up a touchdown with 8 seconds left than if there was a minute and 35 seconds. If you don’t have unconditional faith in your kicker to make a 27 yard fired goal, you got the wrong kicker. That’s not a analytics, that’s situational football.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Is there really a debate about why the Chiefs managed the clock as they did to end the game? Over a minute left after the 2 minute warning is en eternity in football. Especially with a quarterback like Hurts who can use his legs to bail his team out and stop the clock by going out of bounds.

If the Chiefs score a touchdown and then the Eagles score a touchdown of their own to tie the game and win it in overtime; it would be seen as one of the dumbest decisions in Super Bowl history.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Is there really a debate about why the Chiefs managed the clock as they did to end the game? Over a minute left after the 2 minute warning is en eternity in football. Especially with a quarterback like Hurts who can use his legs to bail his team out and stop the clock by going out of bounds.

If the Chiefs score a touchdown and then the Eagles score a touchdown of their own to tie the game and win it in overtime; it would be seen as one of the dumbest decisions in Super Bowl history.
It’s been Andy’s biggest blind spot his entire career. Now look what happens when he gets it down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad