NFL GDT: Super Bowl LIV: (NFC) San Francisco 49ers vs (AFC) Kansas City Chiefs

Super Bowl LIV

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Happy the Chiefs won with yet another spirited comeback, although I thought for sure the 49ers were one team that would snuff out KC's seeming invincibility during these playoffs.

Couple close calls late in the 4th, close calls going KC's way, but Reid finally gets his ring. Well deserved. :handclap:

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
No, the last 10 minutes of the game cost them the game.

I still can't wrap my head around it. Up 10 with 7 minutes left in the game, SF have possession, they run on 1st down and gain 5 yards. They follow that up with two pass attempts to go 3 and out. Why? Why give up on the damn thing that got you there in the first place and that was working wonders throughout the game, RUN THE DAMN FOOTBALL.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
Last night was an exhibit of how the best strategic and management minds at the top of sports can also be narcissistic and arrogant like the players. Shanahan did not learn his lesson from 28-3 and repeated the same mistakes. Kyle Shanahan tried to outsmart a coaching legend, but ended up outsmarting himself. Literally the exact same script.

The man has no humility.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Chief's D was underrated.
They were running pretty hot to end the season, I know I mentioned it a few times but it flew under the radar. And then they got down early in playoff games, so it wasn’t the story. They shut down Derrick Henry so that should’ve been the next clue. They didn’t seem to have an answer for Deebo stretching out the defense though and then the 49ers didn’t seem like they ran any plays for him.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I still can't wrap my head around it. Up 10 with 7 minutes left in the game, SF have possession, they run on 1st down and gain 5 yards. They follow that up with two pass attempts to go 3 and out. Why? Why give up on the damn thing that got you there in the first place and that was working wonders throughout the game, RUN THE DAMN FOOTBALL.
Reminded me of not giving Gore the ball a single time when inside the 10 against Baltimore.

LaMicheal James got a carry, though!

Reactions: Art of Sedinery

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Last night was an exhibit of how the best strategic and management minds at the top of sports can also be narcissistic and arrogant like the players. Shanahan did not learn his lesson from 28-3 and repeated the same mistakes. Kyle Shanahan tried to outsmart a coaching legend, but ended up outsmarting himself. Literally the exact same script.
too harsh
andy reid outsmarted himself in so many big games over the years that there's too many to even mention. if shanahan wins a SB someday, this game will be seen as a stepping stone, just like andy's previous failures. it also helps to get the best QB in the game on your side, like reid has.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Maybe, maybe not.

This type of thing gets said about the losing team every year. It's damn hard to make the SB, and even harder to make it multiple times in a short period.
Could see the 9ers having a Bears esque season next year.

It’s extremely difficult to sustain an elite defense. And that division should still be a bloodbath next season, and I’d argue that it could be better with the Cardinals being in position to take a step forward. I definitely don’t envision 13-3 and a first round bye for the Niners next year, but hey, they have a great coach and great nucleus of players. They should win at least 10 games IMO.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I had no rooting interest so I enjoyed the game. It doesn't matter to me if it's considered a great comeback or a choke job, it was entertaining.

Mahomes was having one of the worst games of his career until the 4th quarter but it was fun to watch once he finally got going.

Shanahan certainly deserves some criticism today. That debacle at the end of the first half wasn't something I would've expected from him. That's been the running joke with Reid for years and it ended up being Shanahan who made the crucial time/game management mistakes. Of course you have to be careful about giving Mahomes more time and try to limit his possessions as much as possible but I just didn't like it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No issue with Not calling a TO before the punt as he doesn’t know what his starting position will be. If the kick got downed inside the 5, your mindset is to ensure KC doesn’t get the ball back to score.

but once SF got the ball at the 20 with 59 seconds left he needed to be aggressive and push for a FG attempt.

that’s a bad decision on his part.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I had no rooting interest so I enjoyed the game. It doesn't matter to me if it's considered a great comeback or a choke job, it was entertaining.

Mahomes was having one of the worst games of his career until the 4th quarter but it was fun to watch once he finally got going.

Shanahan certainly deserves some criticism today. That debacle at the end of the first half wasn't something I would've expected from him. That's been the running joke with Reid for years and it ended up being Shanahan who made the crucial time/game management mistakes. Of course you have to be careful about giving Mahomes more time and try to limit his possessions as much as possible but I just didn't like it.
That wasn't really even a mistake, imo. You can't give Mahomes back the ball with under 2 and to's. It's an automatic score. Even going as conservatively as they did, they would have had a chance at pts if that opi wasn't called.

The miatakes started up 20-10 after a 1st and 10 run where Mostert gained 5. Instead of going right back to what was working they decides to throw it twice, run 0 clock and punt. Shanahan had basically called a perfect game up to that point. Giving them 3 possessions in the last 10 minutes was a crucial mistake.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That wasn't really even a mistake, imo. You can't give Mahomes back the ball with under 2 and to's. It's an automatic score. Even going as conservatively as they did, they would have had a chance at pts if that opi wasn't called.

The miatakes started up 20-10 after a 1st and 10 run where Mostert gained 5. Instead of going right back to what was working they decides to throw it twice, run 0 clock and punt. Shanahan had basically called a perfect game up to that point. Giving them 3 possessions in the last 10 minutes was a crucial mistake.

It just wasn't Shanahan-like and one might even say it was Bill O'Brien-like. You had one of the best offensive coaches and play callers going very conservative in the biggest game of the year early on. Both in the two minute drill and not going for it on 4th and short. Meanwhile on the other side, the Chiefs were doing the opposite.

Wasn't that 2nd down play the one where they had Kittle wide open? Did Jimmy just miss him or was it tipped? Regardless, I prefer the aggressive version of Shanahan trying to win the game.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Chiefs should send a thank you card to the Dolphins. Getting that 1st round bye was big and then having the Titans knock off Baltimore was icing on the cake. Chiefs took care of business.

50 long years of waiting. Enjoy it KC.

One of the local radio stations in KC were giving away a signed Ryan Fitzpatrick jersey after week 17.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

It boggles my mind why teams abandoned the run when it’s such a close game, Niners run game was strong all game and Shanahan decides to start throwing for reasons unknown.

I felt like I was rewatching Super Bowl 51, Falcons flat out abandoned the run when everyone knew the comeback was coming...Falcons defense were gassed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad