NFL GDT: Super Bowl LIV: (NFC) San Francisco 49ers vs (AFC) Kansas City Chiefs

Super Bowl LIV

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Oh the irony here.

So it's clear, I couldn't give less of a damn.
The irony in you picking out my post in a discussion about half time shows because it didn't read a certain way, or the way you wanted?

I feel like I've handled this game (and season) well and don't want to squabble over something meaningless and pedantic. I didn't like Beyonce's show for multiple reasons, but it's not a deal worth going into great detail over.

It just wasn't Shanahan-like and one might even say it was Bill O'Brien-like. You had one of the best offensive coaches and play callers going very conservative in the biggest game of the year early on. Both in the two minute drill and not going for it on 4th and short. Meanwhile on the other side, the Chiefs were doing the opposite.

Wasn't that 2nd down play the one where they had Kittle wide open? Did Jimmy just miss him or was it tipped? Regardless, I prefer the aggressive version of Shanahan trying to win the game.

The game is kind of a blur, and I've blacked out good portions of it to naturally. I know Jimmy missed Kittle on the 3rd and 5 on the 1st possession of the 2nd half, which they settled for 3.

Shanahan was ultra-aggressive with his playcalling in the 4th, when he needed to bleed clock. Seemed like he tried to outsmart them but ended up playing into their strengths. Their run-d was getting gashed and gassed. Their pass rush hadn't done much all day, and had plenty of energy when they needed it.

In the end, though, both phases got beat. It's impossible to point at 1 guy or unit as the cause, though a couple deserve more mention than others.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Is complaining about something meaningless not exactly what you were just doing?
Sigh. It was a discussion about least favorite halftime shows recently, which I participated in.

Not sure how that's complaining and not simply adding to the discussion, but whatever.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
The go ahead TD should not have counted. He was clearly out of bounds.

On the 9ers last play the playclock ran down and hit 0. That play should not have counted and it should have been 4th and 11. Go from there. But no they ignored the playclock as it was clearly out before the snap was started.

That changed the course and the flow of the game. Saying otherwise is ridiculous.

The go ahead TD was borderline and it was a 50-50 call. The bigger issues is how do they still not have adequate goal line cameras?

The delay of game would have made it 4th and 15. That's usually a call that benefits the offense. With the way Jimmy was playing and how the Chiefs defense was getting to him those final drives, it's a huge leap to think they would have converted that. They couldn't convert on 4th and 10 after all.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
KC will need to draft well and make tough decisions on letting good players go. Kelce at age 30 likely isn’t getting another contract. Watkins probably gets cut once the guaranteed portion of his contract is up. Williams likely gets replaced by a RB on a rookie contract rather than given a contract. Moves like that are needed once you pay your QB.
Don't see them giving up Kelce that easy. TE's like that are rare a very hard to come by.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
that terrible pass interference call changed the game

"Terrible"

20390972_web1_AT1I4868.jpg

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
No way should Mahomes get MVP. But he will. Sidney Crosby all over again

No individual deserved the MVP this game. Pretty tough battle and great team effort from the Chiefs.
But Mahomes had the 2 passing TDs an the rushing TD. He led the comeback charge.
Williams could have easily gotten it too though.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
That wasn't really even a mistake, imo. You can't give Mahomes back the ball with under 2 and to's. It's an automatic score. Even going as conservatively as they did, they would have had a chance at pts if that opi wasn't called.

The miatakes started up 20-10 after a 1st and 10 run where Mostert gained 5. Instead of going right back to what was working they decides to throw it twice, run 0 clock and punt. Shanahan had basically called a perfect game up to that point. Giving them 3 possessions in the last 10 minutes was a crucial mistake.
Running wasn't working really at all in the 2nd half up until that point (to be fair their weren't a lot of attempts), Shanahan schemed Kittle onto Suggs and had him open, it was a good call but Jones broke it up at the LOS.

The 9ers run game was buoyed by Deebo's end arounds which you're not likely to call in that situation as it can go for a big loss. That plus a couple of big gains. On something like 15/17 running plays by RB they averaged under 3 YPC.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sherman probably needs to move to being a safety, he’s not going to hold up as a man-to-man on the outside

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Ya how could this possibly be PI???:sarcasm:
If Moore just turns around and boxes Kelce out, he gets his 2nd pick. That ball was underthrown.

Sherman probably needs to move to being a safety, he’s not going to hold up as a man-to-man on the outside
He may not, but he should actually improve on his footspeed next year. He had more this year coming off that Achilles. Maybe another offseason will do his body good.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Running wasn't working really at all in the 2nd half up until that point (to be fair their weren't a lot of attempts), Shanahan schemed Kittle onto Suggs and had him open, it was a good call but Jones broke it up at the LOS.

The 9ers run game was buoyed by Deebo's end arounds which you're not likely to call in that situation as it can go for a big loss. That plus a couple of big gains. On something like 15/17 running plays by RB they averaged under 3 YPC.
The numbers weren't there, but the blocking and body language of KC's line looked a bit dejected. Those pass rushes and deflections looked to give them a huge shot.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
If Moore just turns around and boxes Kelce out, he gets his 2nd pick. That ball was underthrown.
Yup, there needs to be a big focus on coverage guys to turn around and look for the ball because QB's are often just throwing up balls a bit short knowing the DB's head is turned and the receiver will try to get back to the ball leading to PI.

The numbers weren't there, but the blocking and body language of KC's line looked a bit dejected. Those pass rushes and deflections looked to give them a huge shot.
That's fair. I for one didn't mind calling the pass plays, I know I'm in the minority though. I like the aggression as they were going to need some first downs no matter what. Running 3 times and punting doesn't help much more anyway. If you think passing gives you the best chance at a first down then go for it.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yup, there needs to be a big focus on coverage guys to turn around and look for the ball because QB's are often just throwing up balls a bit short knowing the DB's head is turned and the receiver will try to get back to the ball leading to PI.

That's fair. I for one didn't mind calling the pass plays, I know I'm in the minority though. I like the aggression as they were going to need some first downs no matter what. Running 3 times and punting doesn't help much more anyway. If you think passing gives you the best chance at a first down then go for it.
At the very least I'd like to have seen them run it on 2nd. An incomplete on 2nd made it totally predictable that a throw was coming on 3rd.

OT: the 4 (major) teams I root for (49ers/Sharks/A's/ Sac Kings) have made the playoffs a combined 49 times since 1994 and have won 0 championships.

Moral of the story is don't root for any team I do.

Reactions: Art of Sedinery

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
At the very least I'd like to have seen them run it on 2nd. An incomplete on 2nd made it totally predictable that a throw was coming on 3rd.

OT: the 4 (major) teams I root for (49ers/Sharks/A's/ Sac Kings) have made the playoffs a combined 49 times since 1994 and have won 0 championships.

Moral of the story is don't root for any team I do.
There's one obvious missing team from that list that could have eased the pain in recent years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad