NFL GDT: Super Bowl LIV: (NFC) San Francisco 49ers vs (AFC) Kansas City Chiefs

Super Bowl LIV

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
There's one obvious missing team from that list that could have eased the pain in recent years.
The Giants? I have a soul, man.
Ive been a vocal supporter of your Oakland A’s.
Which I appreciate, E.
Revis >>>>> Sherman
At sitting on the couch getting fat?

Sherman is an all pro less than 16 months removed from a torn Achilles. Revis wasn't even nfl-caliber anymore at Sherm's age.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
At the very least I'd like to have seen them run it on 2nd. An incomplete on 2nd made it totally predictable that a throw was coming on 3rd.

OT: the 4 (major) teams I root for (49ers/Sharks/A's/ Sac Kings) have made the playoffs a combined 49 times since 1994 and have won 0 championships.

Moral of the story is don't root for any team I do.

I find it crazy that San Francisco nor Dallas haven't won an NFL championship since I was in middle school. At least San Francisco has come close twice.

I used to watch ESPN every morning back then and remember when non-restrictive free agency was approved. San Francisco went crazy in '94 or '95 to finally beat Dallas. I recall a lot of hand wringing by analysts on ESPN and in articles elsewhere about that. But that was easily the best rivalry in the NFL at that time.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I find it crazy that San Francisco nor Dallas haven't won an NFL championship since I was in middle school. At least San Francisco has come close twice.

I used to watch ESPN every morning back then and remember when non-restrictive free agency was approved. San Francisco went crazy in '94 or '95 to finally beat Dallas. I recall a lot of hand wringing by analysts on ESPN and in articles elsewhere about that. But that was easily the best rivalry in the NFL at that time.
They definitely added a lot of credit card purchases during that time. Had some lean years later because of it, but it was definitely worth the trophy.

I miss how ESPN was then. The only shows I watched besides sportscenter (and each sports recap show) was Outside the lines and Nfl films. I can't handle the tmz stuff they show these days.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
This played out exactly as I thought, and exactly as it should have. So many in the Jimmy G camp felt he hasn't lit it up because he hasn't needed to, and my take was give me a guy who we know can do it versus a guy we think might be able to do it. Mahomes did it in legendary fashion, and Jimmy G colossally choked when it came time for him to do more than handoff and dink and dunk.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Yeah but they let KC get away with everything.

I don't recall Kansas City having such a blatant pass interference.
The worst missed call on them was the 3rd and 14 offsides that would have made it 3rd and 9 for the 49ers

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
I don't recall Kansas City having such a blatant pass interference.
The worst missed call on them was the 3rd and 14 offsides that would have made it 3rd and 9 for the 49ers

How about the clear hold on Sanders? It doesn't get talked about because they ended up converting on the 3rd and long and eventually scored a TD. I also saw Bosa get clearly held a couple of times.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
How many men in America ran to their phones or tablets to Google looking for this last night?

source.gif

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Why are you trying to push this narrative so hard?
I agree. Kittle has no one to blame but himself on the OPI call. He had Sorenson beat. Just needed to continue running to catch the ball. Jimmy dropped it perfectly in front of him. No chance for Sorenson to make a play on the ball.

He gave the refs a chance to make a judgment call and it went against him.

Reactions: Art of Sedinery

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
But anyways the refs aren't the reason the Niners lost and really the Chiefs weren't either. As a Niners fan this will bother me for awhile. They had the Chiefs beat and then got stupid. It was like Kyle wanted to prove to people that Jimmy could win it but the thing is up to that point he had already proven that. He threw for over 200 yards, had completed like 21 of 25 at that point. Kyle put Jimmy in a position to fail and didn't have too. With 8 minutes to play in the 4th quarter he had outplayed Mahomes. And if the Niners would have kept running the ball the talk would have been about how Jimmy silenced his critics and Mahomes disappointing performance. Niners defense was gassed which allowed Mahomes to make that comeback. All because the Niners had 3 consecutive 3 and out drives.

But with that said I still think Kyle is a great coach and would hate to lose him. Would hate to lose that unpredictable running game where you don't need high paid running backs to succeed in that system. Helps with the cap.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
All San Fran had to do was run the ball and kill the clock, it was working for them. Sure, the play action pass was working but you had the clock, the 2 minute warning and 3 time outs left.

When you have an high explosive offense like the Chiefs, you do your best to keep Mahomes off the field.

Example, the Giants game plan against the Bills in Super Bowl 25. Bill Parcells played power football/clock management football with Belicheck scheming a defense that STOPPED the Bills from throwing all over the field.

At the end of the game, the Buffalo Bills had the ball for 19 minutes compared to the 41 minutes the Giants got. Sure Norwood missed the field goal but the Bills shouldn’t have been in that position to win it like that.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
NFC West is 1-7 in Super Bowls since the Rams won in 1999.

49ers: 0-2 (lost in 2012, 2019)
Cardinals: 0-1 (lost in 2008)
Rams: 0-2 (lost in 2001, 2018)
Seahawks: 1-2 (lost in 2005, 2014; won in 2013)

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
NFC West is 1-7 in Super Bowls since the Rams won in 1999.

49ers: 0-2 (lost in 2012, 2019)
Cardinals: 0-1 (lost in 2008)
Rams: 0-2 (lost in 2001, 2018)
Seahawks: 1-2 (lost in 2005, 2014; won in 2013)

So one division is responsible for almost half of the conference champs? Not bad!:D

Meanwhile I went to a watch party full of mostly Californians who have moved here, and one other Hawks fan.
I think they blamed me for this in part but at least they didn't throw food.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
This Super Bowl was like night and day compared to last year.

Everything Rams/Patriots was not, Chiefs/49ers was.

Super Bowl LIV felt like a Super Bowl in a way Super Bowl LIII just didn't.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->