Summer Wishlist Part 2: Let the UFA frenzy begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
I like the idea of trading Harrison to team that needs D, like the Islanders for a pick, and then using that pick to trade for Boston's McQuaid. Boston is trying to shed salary, and I think it's important to have another right-handed Dman.

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
Don't jinx it. He hasn't signed anywhere yet, has he?

Skinner-Nash-Lindholm has some good chemistry together last year. What about trying something like:

Boychuk-Staal-Semin
Tlusty - Staal - Gerbe
Skinner-Nash-Lindholm
Malone-McClement-Dwyer

Boychuk has to show he belongs in the top 6 first off and this would mean the top two lines aren't quite as strong, but it's much more balanced with no lines standing out as terrible.

I like this lineup more than any other ones I've seen.

I really do think the top line (other than the 4th) is the only line Boychuk has a chance on. I like the idea of Skinner Nash Lindholm. I can't wait until Lindholm really breaks out..

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
We're done:

Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes
Francis said he doesn't envision any additional one-way signings for #Canes. Still looking to fill holes in Charlotte, though.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
That's not surprising. Basically, between Boychuk, Terry, and possibly McGinn we're hoping our other forward slot is filled.

It's funny, for all the mock lineups we had McGinn penciled into PRIOR to the offseason, we really haven't had any since free agency started. Could be Malone - McClement - McGinn to start the season. I'd rather have McGinn on the third and Dwyer on the fourth if McGinn plays well enough to make the team.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
That's not surprising. Basically, between Boychuk, Terry, and possibly McGinn we're hoping our other forward slot is filled.

It's funny, for all the mock lineups we had McGinn penciled into PRIOR to the offseason, we really haven't had any since free agency started. Could be Malone - McClement - McGinn to start the season. I'd rather have McGinn on the third and Dwyer on the fourth if McGinn plays well enough to make the team.

McGinn is definitely a mystery. I'd say there are a few spots open. Malone could be pushed to #13. And there's a spot open on the RW that is Boychuk's to lose. Maybe if Lindholm or Skinner play 3C, that could open up another wing spot?

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'd much rather have McGinn play in the AHL for a year before penciling him in a slot. I prefer developing kids for a season or two before giving them a shot. Next year we could feasibly see McGinn and one of the defenseman (Biega, Lowe, Jordan) making the team, but this year I envision no rookies.

And even though we're surprisingly 8th highest in cap hits in the league, consider that almost every team below us has significant RFAs to sign. Here are a few:

St Louis (9th) - Sobotka, Schwartz
Vancouver (10th) - Kassian, Tanev, Weber
Pittsburgh (11th) - Sutter, Spaling, Despres?
Dallas (12th) - Eakin, Roussel, Dillon and yikes that D is shabby. What are they thinking focusing so heavily on forwards right now? I get that Dillon and Gogo are nice players, but still.
Detroit (13th) - Tatar, DeKeyser and they'll likely grab a couple more depth forwards as right now penciled in their 1-way roster lineup are Andersson, Sheahan, Jurco, and Glendening. I can't see them bringing in all that youth at once.

And so on.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Could something like this work?

Boychuk-E.Staal-Tlusty
Gerbe - J.Staal - Semin
Skinner-Lindholm-McGinn
Malone-McClement-Dwyer
Nash/Terry

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Eklund has us talking to Del Zotto (e4), so that means he signs with NYI within the hour...ha!

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
We're done:

Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes
Francis said he doesn't envision any additional one-way signings for #Canes. Still looking to fill holes in Charlotte, though.

This kinda sucks with names like Booth, Penner, Stempniak, Whitney and Setoguchi out there...players that would help us.. A lot is depending on Boychuk.. Like mentioned earlier, the only spots on the roster where I think he can be successful is the 4th line or the 1st line. If he can succeed on the 1st line that help out TREMENDOUSLY, because then the scoring can be spread around. I don't think you can put Boychuk on the same line as Skinner and Gerbe.. Too small, way too small.

Boychuk EStaal Semin
Gerbe JStaal Tlusty
Skinner Nash Lindholm
Dwyer McClement Malone

Sekera Faulk
Hainsey Gleason
Liles Harrison
Murphy

I'm not sure how Peters will feel about Skinner on the 3rd line, seeing as how he was the Canes top goal scorer last year, but this is my favorite lineup.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I wonder if MDZ would sign a 2-way contract. Bring him in on the cheap for a year so he can reestablish himself and get paid next summer.

Either that or he'll prove he's not what we thought he was.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I wonder if MDZ would sign a 2-way contract. Bring him in on the cheap for a year so he can reestablish himself and get paid next summer.

Either that or he'll prove he's not what we thought he was.

I certainly would mind bringing him in in that capacity, but surely some team needing PP help would take a chance on him at $1M, at least I feel they would...

Then again, from some reports, he's a bit of a head case, and signing a 2way in a small market, ala Gerbe last year, may be exactly what he needs.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I certainly would mind bringing him in in that capacity, but surely some team needing PP help would take a chance on him at $1M, at least I feel they would...

Then again, from some reports, he's a bit of a head case, and signing a 2way in a small market, ala Gerbe last year, may be exactly what he needs.

Del Zotto would still be waiver-eligible after 317 NHL games. I doubt a 2-way deal would ever be utilized; someone would pick him up on waivers if they tried to send him to Charlotte.

He's still a good value, but unless Francis can find a taker for Harrison I don't think it's likely we'll be signing Del Zotto.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It's a weird situation for sure, we can go top-6 heavy with something like:

Skinner-Eric-Lindholm
Tlusty-Jordan-Semin
Gerbe-Nash-Boychuk
Malone-McClement-Dwyer

and the only obvious hole is the #3 center spot, though that would be entirely too dependent on Eric and Skinner actually stepping up in a big way defensively.

Or, if say we were to put Lindy on the 3rd line like this:

Skinner-Eric-Semin
Tlusty-Jordan-Boychuk
Gerbe-Nash-Lindholm
Malone-McClement-Dwyer

we could very well slot Lindholm in that center spot, but that would leave us with a hole for an offensive winger on that line.

Dave, I think that some combination of the 2 Staals (both at center) Semin, Tlusty, Lindholm, and Skinner make up our top 6. There were several times last year when each of those groups clicked, just not consistently and not throughout the majority of the year. In addition, Lindy and Skins seem to have the chemistry that has been missing from a lot of lines on which Skinner played a role.

While distressing that Nash is likely penciled in as our 3C at this time, he and Lindy were really the only two younger players that showed improvement over the course of the year (Skinner excepted, of course). So if Roddie can help Riley get better at faceoffs, he had already made strides as a defensive player. Gerbe, while not big is a bit of a scrapper and his speed and strength help in the defensive side of the puck. Even Boychuk played a much more responsible game during his call ups last year. So there may be some hope for that 3rd line of Gerbe/Nash/Boychuk.

Now I'm not a pollyanna in the sense that I wouldn't rather see somebody like a Josh Bailey or Daniel Winnik at 3C and a David Moss added to our 4th line. But I'm not hopeful that any of that will happen. I would not be surprised to see a trade involving Harrison and perhaps the aforementioned Riley Nash....I just don't think things are quite done yet.

Finally, if we could pull a Peter Mueller out of our butts as a camp invitee, I'd be ecstatic. One can only hope and dream.

Still, we are in a much better place today than yesterday (I'm okay w/the Gleason signing as part of a 3rd pairing). Way too many chicken little's came out way too early for my liking....

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Our roster composition looks so much better if Skinner improves his defensive play to NHL average.

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
Now that I've seen your proposals, I'd really like to try without Nash..

Boychuk Staal Semin
Tlusty Staal Gerbe
Skinner/Lindholm Skinner/Lindholm Boychuk
Dwyer McClement Malone

If Nash needs to be in the lineup, I'd put Skinner and Lindholm with Eric. Tlusty & Semin with Jordan.

Faulk Sekera
Hainsey Murphy (I believe he will surprise us)
Liles Gleason (just because I had to)
Harrison

Most likely we need to trade something after month or so to get good top-4 defender..
I think Fleury will get some games.
I think that Liles or Murphy or both is gonna surprise us.
I really hope that either Harry or Tim will be a good 6th & PK guy this season. HOPE!

Ward
Khubodin

I've said it before but I don't think Cam has lost it. I think depending on previous injuries he will be our number one goalie this year. Only injuries can ruin it but if he's fit he'll be what he's been some years ago. And Khubo will be a decent back-up, one we've been waiting for for years.

edit: I also think that the best thing for us that Skinner plays 1st line minutes. I just don't like Nash as 3rd C.

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
Btw how about

Lindholm Skinner Semin
Tlusty Staal Staal
Gerbe X/Nash Boychuk
Malone Mc Pat

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Now that I've seen your proposals, I'd really like to try without Nash..

Boychuk Staal Semin
Tlusty Staal Gerbe
Skinner/Lindholm Skinner/Lindholm Boychuk
Dwyer McClement Malone

If Nash needs to be in the lineup, I'd put Skinner and Lindholm with Eric. Tlusty & Semin with Jordan.

Double shifting Boychuk. He really is getting his chance this year.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I do like how we fret over opening day lineups when they rarely stay anything like opening day (due to injuries, chemistry, people in slumps, etc...). It is fun though.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I don't get the support that Cam is receiving as retaking the #1 spot next year.

Khudobin was superior in pretty much every facet of goaltending you could possibly measure. Goalies fall fast and hard in the NHL and Cam has been free-falling for a couple years. There is no universe in which he should be starting over Khudobin.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I don't get the support that Cam is receiving as retaking the #1 spot next year.

Khudobin was superior in pretty much every facet of goaltending you could possibly measure. Goalies fall fast and hard in the NHL and Cam has been free-falling for a couple years. There is no universe in which he should be starting over Khudobin.

95% of us agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad