Transfer: Summer transfers rumors and bickering

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Does this decrease the likelihood of Hazard moving until their window opens again? I haven't read the details, but it is one of those "can sell and loan" as much as they want, but they can't buy correct?
Correct. From what I've read, it sounds like the way the Higuain deal was made, that could still be made permanent, but Kovacic can't be signed.

I'm really not sure what Hazard will do. We'll either give him an absurd amount of cash or he's definitely gone. A silver lining would be that it means we keep Hudson-Odoi and RLC also gets more minutes with Kovacic out.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Correct. From what I've read, it sounds like the way the Higuain deal was made, that could still be made permanent, but Kovacic can't be signed.

I'm really not sure what Hazard will do. We'll either give him an absurd amount of cash or he's definitely gone. A silver lining would be that it means we keep Hudson-Odoi and RLC also gets more minutes with Kovacic out.
Keeping Hudson-Odoi at this point is probably better in the long run. He looks a very legitimate talent, and if Chelsea can strengthen across the board/buy into Sarri's philosophy with the money they get from Hazard they'd probably be better in the short term as well.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yeah, I never really spent much time comparing the 2 situations, just know that both apparently involved signing youth players.

The difference is that Madrid got a slap on the wrist compared to Barça and Atleti. They also weren't shut out of a live transfer window. Then you've got the fact that one of the officials involved was a Madrid guy with at minimum ties to the club.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The difference is that Madrid got a slap on the wrist compared to Barça and Atleti. They also weren't shut out of a live transfer window. Then you've got the fact that one of the officials involved was a Madrid guy with at minimum ties to the club.

I wouldn't say they got a slap on the wrist, but I do agree in general that they got some favoritism. The 3 Spanish clubs, Chelsea, and potentially City, and inevitably PSG will always be linked in that stuff together.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I wouldn't say they got a slap on the wrist, but I do agree in general that they got some favoritism. The 3 Spanish clubs, Chelsea, and potentially City, and inevitably PSG will always be linked in that stuff together.

Again, they were never punished such that they couldn't sign players during a live window. I'd call that a slap on the wrist compared to what Atleti and Barça suffered. So you have three clubs involved, one of which is essentially let off while the other two are punished and those two just so happen to the the first club's top domestic rivals.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
A few things I know I want to see happen in the Summer window:

• Coutinho sold.
  • De Ligt brought in.
  • Backup striker brought in, but I won't say who that is even though I know who.

There's more to it, but three things I for sure want to see. If those three things happen I'll probably be pretty happy.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden

He was always going to get the question and this is the standard response, but let me dream.

I mean I wouldn't complain... But if Gomez can continue to play on the level he was from the start of the season until his injury I would have a really hard time putting him on the bench. The only thing he got going against him is that it was only for a couple of months and his history with injuries. VVD and Gomez so far has been a monster pairing.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I mean I wouldn't complain... But if Gomez can continue to play on the level he was from the start of the season until his injury I would have a really hard time putting him on the bench. The only thing he got going against him is that it was only for a couple of months and his history with injuries. VVD and Gomez so far has been a monster pairing.
So move to a back three and put Alisson on the Kop.

But in all seriousness, if de Ligt wanted to join Liverpool would you say no thanks because we have Joe Gomez?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Gomez is a monster but you don't say no to de Ligt especially with his injury issues.

But let's be clear...de Ligt isn't coming.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
So move to a back three and put Alisson on the Kop.

But in all seriousness, if de Ligt wanted to join Liverpool would you say no thanks because we have Joe Gomez?

That's the thing, he would be hard to pass. But I don't think it is sustainable to have all three of Van Dijk, De Ligt and Gomez(if he can keep up the play he's had this season) over a longer period of time because I don't want Gomez playing right back. Van Dijk is world class we already know that but Gomez looked world class too until his injury. They're both fast, strong, dominant in the air, confident with the ball, good passers etc you name it. I actually struggle to find a weakness in Gomez's game, he used to get caught ball watching last season and forgetting his man but I have seen not of that this season.

What I guess I'm trying to say is I would love to have him but I think we have bigger holes to fill in other places. I'm not sure De Ligt instead of Gomez is that much of an upgrade.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden

No not really. Van Dijk-Gomez pairing is among the best in the world. Our midfield is not, our full backs is not, our winger/striker debt is not. Splash 2/3 of the transfer budget on a cb would be foolish at this stage imo. The only worry I have is Gomez injury struggles. But if money isn't much of a problem go for it and let them battle it out.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
No not really. Van Dijk-Gomez pairing is among the best in the world. Our midfield is not, our full backs is not, our winger/striker debt is not. Splash 2/3 of the transfer budget on a cb would be foolish at this stage imo. The only worry I have is Gomez injury struggles. But if money isn't much of a problem go for it and let them battle it out.

“I think the money is better spent elsewhere” is a significantly different argument than not “that much of an upgrade”

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I’ll buy the I don’t know if they should pay top dollar for a central defender when the squad has other holes. But if he wants to come and it’s not crazy money, Joe Gomez can go for a heck of a return.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
“I think the money is better spent elsewhere” is a significantly different argument than not “that much of an upgrade”

Sure, but I do think both are accurate, they're both are top-end talents. The only potential reason I can see to go for a big money signing at CB this summer is if they don't think Gomez will be able to get rid of the injuries. If that's the case they might aswell give up on Gomez already and sell him and go for someone like De Ligt.

I’ll buy the I don’t know if they should pay top dollar for a central defender when the squad has other holes. But if he wants to come and it’s not crazy money, Joe Gomez can go for a heck of a return.
I can see the logic in that, specially considering Gomez injuries. I have always wanted to see a CB signing this summer considering Gomez, Lovren and Matip all struggle to stay healthy, but I was thinking more of an experienced 3rd/4th choice CB behind Van Dijk and Gomez.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
de Ligt isn't a signifcant upgrade to Gomez, for the record. Gomez is definitely one of the brightest young CBs in football. de Ligt may be the best, but Gomez is up there.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Gomez injury concerns are real.

I'm sorry but so far he has failed to remain fit a full calendar year.

I would easily get De ligt if possible and sell Lovren and Matip to compensate a bit the fee.

Let Gomez and De ligt compete for the job and hopefully have Gomez healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad