Transfer: Summer Transfers part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Some incredible overrating of Kavacic over here. I don’t understand what people see in him. Ok he’s a good player but not even close to being or ever becoming WC IMO.

If RM think he can replace Modric without missing a beat or two they’re in the wrong.

Noone can replace Modric, and RM know it. They've been grooming Kovacic as his successor for 2 years now, but I don't see anyone as good as Modric out there.
KDB and Kante are in the same tier, but different players.

Kovacic is 24, had some brilliant spells at Inter and Madrid, and all he needs to blossom fully (IMO) is playing 90 minutes every weekend.
Once he gets the games, he's got all the tools, physical and mental, to be absolutely top notch, world class midfielder.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Holy shit.. what a time to be a Wolves fan. If this happens, I'll probably faint.

Reactions: YNWA14

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Some incredible overrating of Kavacic over here. I don’t understand what people see in him. Ok he’s a good player but not even close to being or ever becoming WC IMO.

If RM think he can replace Modric without missing a beat or two they’re in the wrong.

He's incredibly pressing resistant and can singlehandedly break lines with his dribbling - something at which he is among the best in the world - and his intelligence is very underrated. He's already on the brink of world class quality.

Reactions: KJS14 and YNWA14

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Nice move to replace Courtois with Kepa, he doesn't help them this season nor next, but he easily has the potential to be better than Courtois.

Yeah I don’t think that’s true. Kepa has good potential, but I don’t see him being at a Courtois level.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Top 5 most expensive goalies of all time :

5- Pickford 34M€
4- Ederson 40M€
3- Buffon 53M€
2- Alisson 62.5M€
1- Arrizabalaga 80M€

Common points? 4 of them were bought by EPL teams. None of them except Buffon was a top 3 goalie when bought. Probably not even Top 5.

Ouch.

Buffon and Alisson are worth paying that much for. Maybe Ederson as well. But Kepa and Pickford definitely not.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Buffon and Alisson are worth paying that much for. Maybe Ederson as well. But Kepa and Pickford definitely not.
Pickford is fine. It's just most big clubs buy keepers before they become big, and then they keep them for a long time, either that or they go after vets. You just don't see many prime-aged keeps move around, but that is starting to change with more money in the game.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Pickford is fine. It's just most big clubs buy keepers before they become big, and then they keep them for a long time, either that or they go after vets. You just don't see many prime-aged keeps move around, but that is starting to change with more money in the game.

That’s valid. I’m not overly high on Pickford I guess so that’s where my issue with the fee comes in. But at the same time, he’s a fantastic quality goalie for a team like Everton so.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That’s valid. I’m not overly high on Pickford I guess so that’s where my issue with the fee comes in. But at the same time, he’s a fantastic quality goalie for a team like Everton so.

35 million euros just doesn't buy as much anymore, at least in England with other English clubs it doesn't. Not sure what quality of outfield player I'd compare Pickford to, but we spent more on Bakayoko, so Pickford is in-line with the equivalent outfield IMO.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think Kepa maxes out as a Pepe Reina at Liverpool level. Which is fine, but he was never was at the level to justify that kind of fee. Which may, or may not be fine.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think Kepa maxes out as a Pepe Reina at Liverpool level. Which is fine, but he was never was at the level to justify that kind of fee. Which may, or may not be fine.
The ship for justifying transfer fees has long since sailed. The market is just radically different from what it was just a few years ago, and we just haven't caught up to what is outrageous and what isn't.

Reactions: YNWA14

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I’m thinking fringe top 10 goalie. Maybe 10-15. Reina is a pretty solid comparison.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I’m thinking fringe top 10 goalie. Maybe 10-15. Reina is a pretty solid comparison.

Kepa is going to be a top 5 goalie and will likely have a similar ceiling to Cortouis or De Gea

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The ship for justifying transfer fees has long since sailed. The market is just radically different from what it was just a few years ago, and we just haven't caught up to what is outrageous and what isn't.
Oh I agree. I said last year the transfer market is going to revolve around release clauses, and we are certainly getting there. There are people that will get their knickers in a twist based on prices but I'm not one of them. Get the guy you want, worry about the rest later.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Oh I agree. I said last year the transfer market is going to revolve around release clauses, and we are certainly getting there. There are people that will get their knickers in a twist based on prices but I'm not one of them. Get the guy you want, worry about the rest later.

Yeah, you get into bigger trouble when you spend about 80 million for Drinkwater and Bakayoko. Barf.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, you get into bigger trouble when you spend about 80 million for Drinkwater and Bakayoko. Barf.
I mean, its fair to say heads rolled for those signings. There are consequences. If Kepa bombs there is going to be bloodshed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad