Transfer: Summer Transfers part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
RLC promised game time. I wonder if they do a narrow 442 with Hazard and *striker* up top. They could sell Willian to United (after the comments he made about wanting to play for Jose, might be one of United’s only choices) and get some of the money back for all this goalie juggling.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Wolves are also speaking with Zinchenko from Man City today. He's stated he wants to stay at Man City, but Wolves are doing one final push with Nuno trying to sell him on the project.

Bid believed to be accepted by Man City is around £16M.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The one thing I’m worried with about the Wolves and I could be wrong about this but they don’t have many leaders with PL experience.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Kepa is going to be a top 5 goalie and will likely have a similar ceiling to Cortouis or De Gea

Not gonna lie I don’t see it. I could be wrong cuz goalie development is weird, but I don’t see a world class goalie in him. Just a top ~10 guy which is still impressive as t is.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
May get ugly here

Maybe it’s because Spurs have done nothing and outside of Alderweireld haven’t really been strongly rumoured to be doing much but there seems to be a lot more difficulty with this transfer than should be.

Grealish seems like a decent young talent and of course the homegrown aspect seems to help with CL requirements but unless I am underrating him I don’t see a spot for him in the starting 11 so if Villa are being this much of a pain surely they should just move on to something else.

I mean there isn’t much of a difference between a window getting nobody and a window getting Grealish only, especially for the rumoured prices on Villas end. Both situations would be major disappoints and concerning going into this season.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The one thing I’m worried with about the Wolves and I could be wrong about this but they don’t have many leaders with PL experience.

The biggest issue I see is a lack of chemistry from bringing in so many new players. But I think that shouldn’t be a big issue purely based on the talent they have.

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal
It's happening...

Lyon should've been all over this. They've been trying to get a good CB/6 since the window opened and still haven't done anything. Obviously they don't play in the PL, but they're gonna play the CL this year and that's a good selling point, especially with Lyon's relatively young team. Dendoncker would've been a perfect fit. At that price, knowing they were ready to drop 35+ for Mina, it's a given. Now perhaps they were in and Dendoncker chose Wolves.

Can't wait for another year with Morel as a starter. :facepalm:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah, I agree it is time to re-tool and get younger. I can even live with a "down" season (I mean, as a North American, I am used to them). Ronaldo leaving was good timing, IMO. Guy is 33 and we just had won 3 CLs in a row. Gives us the flexibility to give Asensio more playing time and change the team make-up. Not a bad thing.

Modric leaving? It sucks way more. It would make our midfield much worse. However, the more I think about it, the more I can stomach it. We probably weren't gonna win any major trophies this year, even with Modric, so let's give a younger player experience (Ceballos, most likely). As long as we place top 3 in the league, I think I can live with it. Most Madridistas won't and will be calling for heads if the team is out of La Liga race by December (which is likely considering Atleti as gotten better and Barca should still be as strong as last year). Asensio and Isco will be under tremendous pressure to succeed and Perez better hope guys like Ceballos, Odriozola and Vallejo progress nicely and can be part of an effective "B" team. I like that they have concentrated on getting young Spaniards in recent year, they most be successful now. Pressure will be EXTRA high on these kids.

I also do not really understand the Courtois move. Navas has been a very effective keeper for us. Sure, he had a tougher season last year, but even though I see Courtois as an upgrade, I don't see him as a massive one and certainly not one that was needed. I won't ***** about the move, I just do not really get it.

I get the Courtois move, I have nothing against Navas but he's in the +30 group as well, turns 32y this season. With Courtois they have a shot at adding one of the best cheaply to set the net longterm. That's 1 area Madrid won't have to worry for years now. So they can focus their attention and money elsewhere.
Courtois is also someone they'll sell to the fans and didn't have to pay a massive amount.

With Courtois, Varane, Casemiro, Asensio, Bale, Vinicius, Isco they are building another elite group, base to where you can build your longterm plan on.

Right now I don't expect any championships but atleast the stories of few players will make the games interesting, there will be ton of unhappy fans and media will beat the group next season because they aren't favourites for anything, the pressure is insane in Madrid year after year.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Dendoncker is really good. Before Liverpool started signing players like Fabinho I definitely would have taken him.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Noone can replace Modric, and RM know it. They've been grooming Kovacic as his successor for 2 years now, but I don't see anyone as good as Modric out there.
KDB and Kante are in the same tier, but different players.

Kovacic is 24, had some brilliant spells at Inter and Madrid, and all he needs to blossom fully (IMO) is playing 90 minutes every weekend.
Once he gets the games, he's got all the tools, physical and mental, to be absolutely top notch, world class midfielder.
Kovacic doesn't have the football IQ of Modric. The only player I can compare to Modric is Xavi. nobody today in modern football that I can think of. Kovacic looked like he was going to explode last season after looking great in preseason and the super cup. Unfortunately he got hurt and it took him some time to find his form again. Kovacic I think can thrive in Sarri system.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Seeing lots of links of Fekir to Chelsea, but Lyon is raising the price. The possible front 6 will be a much improved attacking unit.

Hazard-Fekir-Willian
Kovacic-Jorginho-Kante

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Kovacic doesn't have the football IQ of Modric. The only player I can compare to Modric is Xavi. nobody today in modern football that I can think of. Kovacic looked like he was going to explode last season after looking great in preseason and the super cup. Unfortunately he got hurt and it took him some time to find his form again. Kovacic I think can thrive in Sarri system.
Don't sleep on Firmino's football IQ, he's right up there with the best of them. Of course he starts further up.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Xavi, Modric and Firmino.

One is not like the others. We know you love him but come on Curt.
All I can say is just watch him play and enjoy; he's the perfect modern striker, and a lot of that is down to his work ethic of course but his footballing intelligence is off the charts. Modric took until his 30s to get credit for how good he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad