Transfer: Summer Transfers part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Rabiot didn't make France NT while being a top player at PSG. in order to convince Dechamps, I'd guess he would need to complete dominate while playing against top end competition. N'zonzi was one of the best midfielders in La Liga for years and his Sevilla had a nice showing in the UCL. Pavard was a surprise but France doesn't have the same depth at his position as they do at Rabiot's. Of course, he could join Milan, dominate Serie A and get in the NT, but the odds are better for him if he's playing in the UCL and in the PL.

And was an absolutely egregious omission to that team.

Reactions: John Pedro

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Rabiot didn't make France NT while being a top player at PSG. in order to convince Dechamps, I'd guess he would need to complete dominate while playing against top end competition. N'zonzi was one of the best midfielders in La Liga for years and his Sevilla had a nice showing in the UCL. Pavard was a surprise but France doesn't have the same depth at his position as they do at Rabiot's. Of course, he could join Milan, dominate Serie A and get in the NT, but the odds are better for him if he's playing in the UCL and in the PL.
If he needs to play against top competition then he's better off in Italy than France.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Rabiot didn't make France NT while being a top player at PSG.

Exactly , which is why this whole "Rabiot can't make the NT at Milan" theory is whack. It's clearly a Deschamps thing.

Saying Milan doesn't offer enough exposure is mad. It's a massive club.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm waiting for more reliable sources about Paqueta to PSG, cause Fox Sports is terrible. Agree losing him on a free would suck financially. On the field, I feel like Adli and Paqueta are going to be better for the club, though.
I posted here a tweet by a very reliable PSG insider. PSG are going to pay the asked 50M.

Reactions: John Pedro

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't think Rabiot moves to Milan either.

This is a guy who is thinking extremely highly of himself. Part of it is warranted, because quite clearly when he isn't selected for the WC, it's quite amazing.
But he won't sign with any team that doesn't challenge for the CL title. I'm sure he'd love to win it before PSG does.
So he'll target Barca, Real, City, and maybe, just maybe Liverpool, Juve and Bayern. Something he sees as a lateral or upper move, not a potential move to a team that could compete in the future.
The guy is impatient with everything.

The only point for Milan is Leonardo. That won't be enough.

As for where he'd fit the best on those teams, it's quite obviously Barca in playing style. He's AT LEAST as good as Rakitic IMO, and could start. For him to go to Real, they'd need to have a coach that prefers him to Kroos and have Modric leave. There has been some talks between Rabiot and both of these clubs. City is obviously a good fit too, but I'm not sure how he'd fit with Pep in terms of character. As for the other 3 teams, he'd start but who knows if he would be a good fit (and there's no doubt the Liverpool talks have occurred).

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Look, it was never about saying Milan would be Rabiot's number 1 destination. It was about showing the club a tiny bit of respect.

Yeah, saying him to Milan is the likeliest destination when Barça is lurking around is a bit... Naive.

Literally on the previous page:

Is it likely? Perhaps not (especially if Barca wants him). But they can certainly give a competitive pitch to Rabiot. Let's not get it twisted ; Milan is really, really wealthy again.

----------------

I understand Rabiot is a fantastic talent and I also understand anytime Barca or Bayern/Juve/Real et al are involved, they have to be considered the favourites.

But, what I don't understand is saying Milan can't offer enough exposure, a competitive contract, or an enticing pitch to Rabiot. Or, just immediately dismissing them by saying they can't compete with any Premier League side. (Max Meyer.. give me mercy)

Believe it or not, some big name players are going to be joining Milan within the next few windows. Will Rabiot be one of them? Probably not, but it's not because they can't compete.

They've already kicked the tires on SMS, who's at least in the same ballpark as Rabiot.

Leonardo decides he wants Arsenal & Juve target at Milan

Don't even bother , Leonardo....you simply can't compete.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The Serie A is much stronger than Ligue 1, especially since Rabiot plays for the only team that can realistically challenge for the title.
Who realistically challenges for a title in Serie A? Two years ago, Monaco won the league in France. How long since Juve hasn't lost a title?

Hilarious. The "much stronger" part is also hilarious. France produces the most talent out of any country in Europe. Just because you don't know the names yet doesn't mean the talent isnt' there.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Rabiot playing exclusively in Serie A and Europe League has almost no shot at the France NT. The laughing stock club of one year ago lol it gonna take more than 3 games and Leonardo to claim that they've really left that behind and are on the right path again.

What did it take for Inter to stop being a laughing stock? A couple of hot players and throwing a lot of money around. Plus legacy points. Period. They've done nothing to prove they're really relevant beyond that

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
What did it take for Inter to stop being a laughing stock?

New owners that are really rich, ambitious , and don't run the club like complete morons. The exact same thing has just happened for AC Milan. It's really that simple.

Both Milan clubs have everything set up for them to return amongst the elite with their revenues. Just a matter of time.

Reactions: maclean

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
New owners that are really rich, ambitious , and don't run the club like complete morons. The exact same thing has just happened for AC Milan. It's really that simple.

Both Milan clubs have everything set up for them to return amongst the elite with their revenues. Just a matter of time.

My words exactly. Just find it so weird that people have somehow accepted Inter back among the elite and are so disparaging about Milan, who admittedly started out a bit later, but as you say on the exact same path.

From any perspective a positive development for the Serie A, which had become a bit monotonous

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
My words exactly. Just find it so weird that people have somehow accepted Inter back among the elite and are so disparaging about Milan, who admittedly started out a bit later, but as you say on the exact same path.

From any perspective a positive development for the Serie A, which had become a bit monotonous

I dunno...sometimes people like a lazy narrative or don't actually follow the league. Milan needs to be playing in the CL again for some to acknowledge they're actually not a joke anymore.

A few years ago they were bringing in the likes of Fernando Torres on a free or signing Lapadula , and now they have Higuain. The economic progression is pretty clear.

They have an exciting young core (especially at the back) and the money to keep them together. Maybe people just need to see a couple big names join from outside of Italy before they acknowledge them. Because the talent they've accumulated domestically in such a short period of time is pretty impressive.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
A lot of people forget that many of the players coming up now grew up watching the great Milan teams of the mid 2000s with Maldini, Kaka, Nesta, Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Gattuso, Seedorf, etc.
To be fair, we're comparing that to Arsenal, who were invincible at the time

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
As for where he'd fit the best on those teams, it's quite obviously Barca in playing style. He's AT LEAST as good as Rakitic IMO, and could start.

There's talent in Rabiot, sure. World class, at that.

That said, I realize these are opinions, but I can't see many serious top managers picking Rabiot ahead of Rakitic.
The guy's been a staple in Barca's starting 11 since he got there, after winning stuff and captaining Sevilla during those years, and is still probably the most underrated midfielder in football. Last year, by vast majority of Barca football pundits, he was chosed as Barca's best human player.
And is off to a similar start again.
Even in the WC run, he was absolutely massive - though not nearly as appreciated as Modric, even in Croatia.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Who realistically challenges for a title in Serie A? Two years ago, Monaco won the league in France. How long since Juve hasn't lost a title?

Hilarious. The "much stronger" part is also hilarious. France produces the most talent out of any country in Europe. Just because you don't know the names yet doesn't mean the talent isnt' there.

We can shower the French players and national teams with praise all you want, deservedly... But the league, and how competitive clubs are in Europe?

Serie A is on a comeback trajectory, and the non-Juve teams are finally looking like they're ready to compete in Europe.
Ligue 1, OTOH, has a dismantled Monaco and a decent Lyon side... Nothing else comes remotely close to PSG.

There's a reason why Italian clubs have 28 European titles between them (EC/CL, UEFA/EL, CWC) and the French have.... 2.

Traditionally, it's not close, it never was, and while Serie A had a few rough year, it does look like it's coming back. Finally.

NOTE: Again, I'm not talking about talent produced. It's quite obvious France is a gigantic producer of talent, but most of the top players end up playing abroad. I'm talking about the competitivness of clubs in Europe and the level of football being played.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah we've been hearing about the raise of Serie A for years. Until that happens it's useless.
So yeah..

In other news Rabiot is now in talks with Pep and City. Juve is also talking.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton

Juventus, Napoli, Roma, Inter, and Lazio are much stronger than teams like Monaco, Lyon, and Marseille. Hell, PSG's last 3 games against Monaco, the 2nd best team in the league, were 3-0, 7-1, and 4-0 wins. There's a reason why PSG sucks in the CL, their competition domestically is a joke.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah everyone's much stronger. :laugh:
That much we could see lol.

PSG sucks in the CL? LOL.

You're on a roll. Keep them coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad