Transfer: Summer Transfers part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Italy has two final appearances and a semi final appearance in the last 5 years. France has one semi appearance in that time. For one of the highest spending teams in the world (possibly even the highest), PSG's UCL results are abysmal and a direct reflection on the relatively poor quality of their league.

Bayern fans have complained about the poor quality of the other teams in the BuLi and it having an effect on their European performances. Juventus hasn't struggled to win the league in the last couple years (with the exception of last season) but the other top 5 teams in the Serie A are much stronger than those in France and Germany. PSG smacked Monaco 7-1 the last time they played them in the league, you would never see Juve beating Napoli or Roma by a margin like that.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Abysmal?
Again, learn to use english words, it seems it's not even your 3rd language here.

All your arguments are weak, I won't even spend time responding to them. Monaco was in the semis a year and a half ago yet you only talk about them in that 1-7 defeat.
Marseille was in the EL final last year, Lyon in the semis the year before. French teams have had very few trouble with italian teams in the EL BTW.

As of now, Roma has one single good run in the last decade or so, all the rest is Juve and nothing else.
OM, Lyon, Monaco have been in european semis, PSG if not for terrible draws and laughable reffing (against Barca, and first leg against Real last year) would have been in the QF for 5 or 6 straight times (too lazy to count).
So, no, Serie A has hardly showed anything valuable. Lazio got beaten by RB MF Salzburg in the EL with basically the same team as this year. Salzburg which was then beaten by OM BTW. I think Inter couldn't beat St Etienne either. LOL.

And again, L1 is the league that gives year after the year the most talent to other leagues. And we've had zero problem replacing them. There isn't a big team in Europe which doesn't have important players who were developped in L1.

And obviously, not everyone can buy the refs to buy titles.

So, you can be ignorant about L1 all you want, but to say Serie A is "much stronger" than L1 is hilariously bad.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It doesn't matter how far PSG goes, they're in the same category of Man City where if they didn't win the Champion's League it was a failure of a season. Hilariously, for both of these clubs every season has been a failure thus far.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
It doesn't matter how far PSG goes, they're in the same category of Man City where if they didn't win the Champion's League it was a failure of a season. Hilariously, for both of these clubs every season has been a failure thus far.

So EPL fans now think their league is as uncompetitive and their title as meaningless as PSG winning Ligue 1? Interesting.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Making the quarter finals is not an accomplishment when you're shattering transfer records and spending hundreds of millions of dollars every summer. Quarter final appearances should be expected, especially considering the weak teams that are regularly in the round of 16. Considering how much PSG has spent, no semi final appearances is abysmal.

Also, lol @ saying Inter couldn't beat St. Ettiene. You all know my feelings on Inter but they would mop the floor with them.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So EPL fans now think their league is as uncompetitive and their title as meaningless as PSG winning Ligue 1? Interesting.
Not going to go into that, but considering how much Man City has spent compared to the rest of league the past 8 years, I always felt that Man City wants to win the CL above everything else - even if they don't win the title in the specific year, but I think Pep really wants to do a double with the EPL Title and CL Title (just look at how deep their bench is).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Making the quarter finals is not an accomplishment when you're shattering transfer records and spending hundreds of millions of dollars every summer. Quarter final appearances should be expected, especially considering the weak teams that are regularly in the round of 16. Considering how much PSG has spent, no semi final appearances is abysmal.

Also, lol @ saying Inter couldn't beat St. Ettiene. You all know my feelings on Inter but they would mop the floor with them.
They faced Chelsea, Barca and Real in the round of 16. Weak teams right.

And again, language problem with abysmal.
Same with Inter/St Eienne. They actually met in the recent EL you know. And St Etienne drew twice while being the better team. Talk about moping the floor :laugh:

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
To be fair, City actually has to play games during the weekends. It's a lot harder to perform in Europe when the teams you're playing domestically aren't a joke.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
They faced Chelsea, Barca and Real in the round of 16. Weak teams right.

And again, language problem with abysmal.
Same with Inter/St Eienne. They actually met in the recent EL you know. And St Etienne drew twice while being the better team. Talk about moping the floor :laugh:
Yeah, congrats on drawing against a fantastic Inter team of starters like Dodo, Andreolli, and Juan Pablo Carrizzo. And don't even pretend that Inter team, even when using their starting XI and not the joke of a squad they played with, is anywhere close to the one they have now.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Last time Inter appeared in the EL : dead last in their group, behind powerful clubs like Sparta, Hapoel and Southampton.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
To be fair, City actually has to play games during the weekends. It's a lot harder to perform in Europe when the teams you're playing domestically aren't a joke.
You're the only joke in that discussion my friend.
Monaco was in the CL semis less than 18 months away and two years before they were the better team in the QF against Juve where only traditionnal Juve reffing saved them from reaching the semis as well.

Of course Juve doesn't have to play games during the weekends. They cruise past them (7 straight titles) and buy the refs when needed.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Last time Inter appeared in the EL : dead last in their group, behind powerful clubs like Sparta, Hapoel and Southampton.
Okay? Inter is the 4th best team in the Serie A at best and is notorious for fielding weak lineups in the EL.

Keep going on about Inter. The fact is, France's best team has consistently underperformed in the UCL. With transfer spends like theirs it's amazing that they haven't even fluked into a semi final yet.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
You're the only joke in that discussion my friend.
Monaco was in the CL semis less than 18 months away and two years before they were the better team in the QF against Juve where only traditionnal Juve reffing saved them from reaching the semis as well.

Of course Juve doesn't have to play games during the weekends. They cruise past them (7 straight titles) and buy the refs when needed.
Monaco got smacked 4-1 on aggregate and promptly sold off all their best players. Meanwhile, Juve bought Ronaldo. Just goes to show the difference between a development league and a league where the top teams are ambitious and trying to actually win.

And complaining about the reffing in the Juve-Monaco tie is just ridiculous.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You mean 33 year old 0 goal Ronaldo?
Props to you ! You're a good league for retirement.

Last year the italian league bought.... wait... nobody of note. France brought 25 year old Neymar. Ambition indeed.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm impressed with Steven's ability to stay on topic without throwing personal insults.

I also think the Italian league is better than the French league, though it's not by as big a gap as some of what was said makes it sound.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Oh he said L1 players were farmers and implied black players weren't french.

So he's at least close to your level. Outlandish comments aren't your sole responsability now.

I don't have a problem with anyone saying Serie A is better than Ligue 1 for the record. But that wasn't what he said.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah I'm not down with the 'poaching players from other countries' comment, as it definitely isn't the case. The farmers thing I think is just his assessment of the quality in general of the league which is an opinion he's entitled to; still being able to argue a point without hurling personal insults is respectable.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
You mean 33 year old 0 goal Ronaldo?
Props to you ! You're a good league for retirement.

Last year the italian league bought.... wait... nobody of note. France brought 25 year old Neymar. Ambition indeed.
The reigning Ballon D'or winner you mean.

Juventus, Roma, Napoli, Inter, and Milan are all making an effort to improve their squads. Hell, even Lazio managed to hold on to SMS this summer. Meanwhile, PSG will keep spending ridiculous amounts of money just to get bounced in the UCL quarter finals again.
I'm impressed with Steven's ability to stay on topic without throwing personal insults.

I also think the Italian league is better than the French league, though it's not by as big a gap as some of what was said makes it sound.
No need to, the results of the two teams in the UCL speak for themselves. Implying that Juventus rigged the tie against Monaco shows just how weak Evilo's argument is.

I'll admit that I'm exaggerating the gap between the two leagues, but there's no doubt that the Serie A is better than the french league and that gap will likely be increasing even further.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Did you even watch the Juve/Monaco games? Did you?
Did you see Martial being grabbed and put to the ground (kicked) in the box by no less than 2 Juve players?
Did you see Chiellini slipping and then taking the ball with his hand to prevent a 1 on 1 against the goalie?

I doubt you have.

Meanwhile OM, OL, have all improved their squads (Monaco has invested A LOT of money in youth players, as usual), and Bordeaux has just been bought by an american firm.
So, see, every league has invested.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Yes, I did. To imply that there's some sort of conspiracy that favours Juventus in the UCL is ridiculous. We all know that the competition is rigged in favour of Madrid ;)

The results will speak for themselves. I'd love to see PSG (mainly Verratti and Cavani) finally do some damage in Europe this year.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I said Juve got traditionnal Juve reffing, meaning good home ice advantage. That doesn't mean it's rigged, it means it's totally unfair.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't think UEFA refs cheat. I've said many times bigger teams are favoured, but that doesn't mean it's rigged. Even the Barca/PSG ref wasn't bought IMO. Though you can always be surprised, but I don't think really.

Draws are another matter. Plenty of people have had doubts, many times and we know for sure it happenned in the past (warm balls/cold balls).
But last year Roma/Liverpool games being announced before the draw with the good matchup, in the good order (home game/away game) and at the right date, that seems like WAYYYYYY too much smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad