Transfer: Summer Transfer Thread Part 6

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I don't know how transfer fees is still that much relevant to the fan/media but not the whole monetary package of transfer fee/commision/Wages/Bonuses and other clauses.

I mean it does not take a Harvard degree to figure out that White or an Ake are on way lower wage bracket than a player like Varane.

In the end, it seems quite funny to see fans celebrate transfer fees as win.

Varane for 40M (for example) and comparing it to a lesser player transfered like White for 50M . If you look at the total monetary package of both players and term of payments I would not be surprised if Varane would cost 3 times more for the same period than Ben White. But fans will only see fees of 40M vs 50M and call it a win! :laugh:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Also, who cares about financial packages or transfer fees when you aren't in a hard cap league. I don't care if another team overpays, it's not like they are screwing their future like a lot of NHL GMs do when they make idiotic decisions.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
United signing Varane for less than what City signed Ake for but getting criticized for spending too much is peak levels.
Was Ake in the last year of his deal?

(not trying to make a point, I actually agree here)

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Even if Varane is making 300k per week and White 100k then that is "only" 10m per year.

White is younger and English. Resell value 4 years from now on White is probably a lot higher higher for Varane (assuming both players are under contract).

No club got endless amount of money. United got more than most, but they can't just pay whatever without consequences. So even if there isn't a cap it still matters for most teams to get good value for money. And fans should care about it.

I think both Varane and White are good signings (assuming they go through). Time will show how good.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Also, who cares about financial packages or transfer fees when you aren't in a hard cap league. I don't care if another team overpays, it's not like they are screwing their future like a lot of NHL GMs do when they make idiotic decisions.

Unless you have a benefactor or can print money like United, how well you use your money is even more important without a cap :dunno:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Actually they do. Any team can be affected by poor financial decision.

Manchester United have more leeway because of the revenue they generate but teams have proven in the past that they can go bankcrupt because of overpaying players.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Unless you have a benefactor or can print money like United, how well you use your money is even more important without a cap :dunno:
All the big clubs here can essentially print money. Chelsea/Man U/City/Arsenal/etc., there isn't lack of revenue to the point where overpaying $10M on a transfer fee is going to harm their future. In most cases, you can sell those players and break-even or even make a profit in some cases.

As long as you don't spend truly absurd money, it doesn't matter for these types of clubs.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't know how transfer fees is still that much relevant to the fan/media but not the whole monetary package of transfer fee/commision/Wages/Bonuses and other clauses.

I mean it does not take a Harvard degree to figure out that White or an Ake are on way lower wage bracket than a player like Varane.

In the end, it seems quite funny to see fans celebrate transfer fees as win.

Varane for 40M (for example) and comparing it to a lesser player transfered like White for 50M . If you look at the total monetary package of both players and term of payments I would not be surprised if Varane would cost 3 times more for the same period than Ben White. But fans will only see fees of 40M vs 50M and call it a win! :laugh:

That's even before agent fees, money to random family members, you name it.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
United signing Varane for less than what City signed Ake for but getting criticized for spending too much is peak levels.

Context. As @Savant said, Varane was in the last year of his contract. And I don't recall anyone praising the Ake signing, or at least I didn't.

Why is Sevilla doing this?
Kounde would be an elite signing for Chelsea. Makes them legit contenders.

It's called a transfer. So how it works is Chelsea will pay Sevilla money to sign Kounde. That amount will give Sevilla notably more than what they paid for Kounde in the first place and it's probably better for them to sell him now when they could probably use the money to upgrade their team.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Not sure if the entire thing will show, but there is a whole thead. IMO he's got bits wrong before, but probably correct on a lot of this. Anyway, a few things:
  • What I've been saying is backed up here, like the part about matchday revenues and this being in large part down to Covid.
  • What @Duchene2MacKinnon has said is backed up here too, the bit about Bartomeu running the club into the ground.
  • Like I've said all along, this is in large part down to Covid and it's effecting the club in different ways. That said the previous board was always at the limit as Tebas notes and they should have been addressing the fat cat contracts long ago.
  • La Liga has a salary cap. Do other leagues? Very stringent it seems and it definitely explains why Madrid have cleared the decks. I think it's good overall for the health of the clubs in La Liga, but I think it's too stringent and handcuffs the clubs a bit.
  • Barça's cap limit is slightly lower than even Atleti's. The good news is that hopefully they'll continue to get contracts renegotiated and better yet dump all the dead wood. Better still they'll hopefully use the canteranos more, though things seem to be moving in that direction already.
  • The club could easily clear a good chunk of it's debts if really needed, but not a fan of the steps it would take (selling Ter Stegen for example, something I'm guessing they pondered and I've even thought about).
  • Amortisation looks an issue, but probably not as much as noted in the piece. While I understand the point made, I think it's better to offload the dead wood players I've been suggesting even if it's for peanuts. I don't see the majority of them making a big impact for the team if past performance is at all indicative of future results and dumping their salaries if and while you can should be the priority.
  • Interesting to see the other big clubs noted here. Even the ones not named but who show up in the charts. Of course apart from maybe United, some of the clubs' numbers probably don't even take into account the bazillionaire owners who have pumped money into the clubs. Either way some of the supporters on here should be concerned as well.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Very happy the club spoke out about this. I still stand by my comments about him being sold if he doesn't agree a new deal, but there is no place for racism and it's absolutely ridiculous people would go that route.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I saw the tweet earlier this morning it doesn’t even bear to get a response. In terms of money we have no money. If it’s true Koeman doesn’t want them it doesn’t matter anyway you can’t have them.

Reactions: les Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad