Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Interesting that 5 "Rangers" are there including Stark, Lam, Romano, Arquette, and Edwards. I don't recall ever seeing 4 Ranger forwards play at dev camp. Seems to me that this will provide a good look at their top drafted players as well as perhaps, some free agents, to see how they fit in with the future of the Rangers.

Undrafted Dirracolo was brought in during this past season as a nice add. Surely XU sees a prime opportunity to get some solid minutes as a rookie on a team that's building towards the Memorial Cup. For the D at camp, there's definitely some opportunity.

As for Hlacar 6'3", he's a tough customer with size, grit, and an offensive upside. With Martin gone, he and Lebrash 6'5" should get a good look.
Xu, and other hopefuls will realize that we’ll be hit hard by graduation, we’ll be paring down our remaining 04’s to get to three OA’s, and we’ll be conducting a sell off of returning vets.

Massive opportunity this year.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I think next year not being a host year may mean for teams like Kitchener who are they really going to " sell" to? I don't see as many teams set for a go year next year. Now there will be some as teams pull ahead but that may mean a couple of buyers but I don't think the sales volume will be as high next year. Maybe a buyer's market? Who knows for sure? Be safe.

Reactions: bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I heard the same story last year.
Year before too. It's a broken record. I know they rebuild back around when Skinner was here I believe. See if MM has the gonads to pull it off. Lots of fans talking rebuild around the league and all want an 08. Hope there are enough to go around.😊

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think next year not being a host year may mean for teams like Kitchener who are they really going to " sell" to? I don't see as many teams set for a go year next year. Now there will be some as teams pull ahead but that may mean a couple of buyers but I don't think the sales volume will be as high next year. Maybe a buyer's market? Who knows for sure? Be safe.
There will be buyers next year. The east looks to have 4 or 5. Maybe three serious “all in’s” out there.

The west looks to be more tricky. Erie should be in a home ice situation and would like to buy but their draft cupboard isn’t the greatest. Saginaw may be a wild card. They’ll still be good but will they sell off, especially Misa in his NHL draft year?

Except for a couple teams (Flint, Windsor), there is not a lot of draft capital in the west. There could be more sellers in the west than the east.

Could very well be a buyers market.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
There will be buyers next year. The east looks to have 4 or 5. Maybe three serious “all in’s” out there.

The west looks to be more tricky. Erie should be in a home ice situation and would like to buy but their draft cupboard isn’t the greatest. Saginaw may be a wild card. They’ll still be good but will they sell off, especially Misa in his NHL draft year?

Except for a couple teams (Flint, Windsor), there is not a lot of draft capital in the west. There could be more sellers in the west than the east.

Could very well be a buyers market.
Ya Oshawa, Brantford and Brampton will likely be the east front runners. I think Windsor, Flint and Sarnia are a year away. London always and maybe Erie? Like you posted west is not clear. Soo and Kitchener like selling teams along with Owen Sound but they seem to need to always finish middle pack so may just stand pat.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Interesting that 5 "Rangers" are there including Stark, Lam, Romano, Arquette, and Edwards. I don't recall ever seeing 4 Ranger forwards play at dev camp. Seems to me that this will provide a good look at their top drafted players as well as perhaps, some free agents, to see how they fit in with the future of the Rangers.

Undrafted Dirracolo was brought in during this past season as a nice add. Surely XU sees a prime opportunity to get some solid minutes as a rookie on a team that's building towards the Memorial Cup. For the D at camp, there's definitely some opportunity.

As for Hlacar 6'3", he's a tough customer with size, grit, and an offensive upside. With Martin gone, he and Lebrash 6'5" should get a good look.
I think fans will like Xu if he commits. From video and scouts he keeps the game simple and uses his size to bang opponents. The rookie camp can look like a dog's breakfast at times. Lots of players all trying their best to catch someone's eye. It's hard to get a good read on players in a short camp. They higher end picks usually stand along with 2nd year players.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Ya Oshawa, Brantford and Brampton will likely be the east front runners. I think Windsor, Flint and Sarnia are a year away. London always and maybe Erie? Like you posted west is not clear. Soo and Kitchener like selling teams along with Owen Sound but they seem to need to always finish middle pack so may just stand pat.
Erie is a contender imo, add Kingston to that list, and Sudbury if Musty returns. Barrie is going to be good too, but will need to thin out the middle forwards before adding anything. I can see the colts in another Elinas type jam X2 or 3. It will be interesting to see what age(s) Flint adds with all those picks.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Erie is a contender imo, add Kingston to that list, and Sudbury if Musty returns. Barrie is going to be good too, but will need to thin out the middle forwards before adding anything. I can see the colts in another Elinas type jam X2 or 3. It will be interesting to see what age(s) Flint adds with all those picks.
I think Missy will be a factor as well in the east. Lots of quality there among the 05 and 06 groups. A very deep draft pick cupboard and only one 04 going into next year which will allow them to acquire quality pieces at the OA position a little cheaper than comparable players a year younger. Major trade chip will be one of their goalies. Surely they’ll move one of them this year for large return.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think Missy will be a factor as well in the east. Lots of quality there among the 05 and 06 groups. A very deep draft pick cupboard and only one 04 going into next year which will allow them to acquire quality pieces at the OA position a little cheaper than comparable players a year younger. Major trade chip will be one of their goalies. Surely they’ll move one of them this year for large return.
I expect the steelheads to be right at the top of the conference at the Christmas break. But I do not expect anything near 'all-in' for either of Brampton or Barrie. I'll change my tune if Valentini goes the defect route and returns a bunch of picks though.
If Brampton does move a goalie, an OA spot will be used on a goalie I think.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I expect the steelheads to be right at the top of the conference at the Christmas break. But I do not expect anything near 'all-in' for either of Brampton or Barrie. I'll change my tune if Valentini goes the defect route and returns a bunch of picks though.
If Brampton does move a goalie, an OA spot will be used on a goalie I think.
Had me confused. I’d better start referring to Missy as Brampton too. Lol.

Would it make sense to go with an OA goalie? One of Leenders / Ivankovic I’d assume would be the #1? You know what they say about utilizing an OA as a backup.

Brampton has a very deep draft pick cupboard. Valentini defected or not, they’ll have a ton of ammo to go all in.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Would it make sense to go with an OA goalie? One of Leenders / Ivankovic I’d assume would be the #1? You know what they say about utilizing an OA as a backup.

Brampton has a very deep draft pick cupboard. Valentini defected or not, they’ll have a ton of ammo to go all in.
The '07 goalie is likely the one to stay, 40 regular season games plus playoffs is plenty? A 25-30 game goalie of a wannabe contender needs to be good.
Richmond has never really been a big spender, and the owner sounds convinced that Richmond has built a lasting contender. The team can add RW & G for the OA spots plus the Richmond special, so far a replacement level 6'7" D that becomes a goto physical shut down guy in just a few months.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010

I think it's standard for last year's rookies to attend the Rookie camp. We just don't usually have that many first year players.

Perhaps they're bringing in Hlacar to be a measuring stick to see how the rookies respond to him? But I don't see the Rangers Brass being that evil.
Kind of like Racki in the movie Youngblood 🤣

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

Ya the Steelheads will now play out of Brampton. So they are one and the same.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Andonovski is prob the most underrated d man in the league imo the only reason he wasn’t talked about more is because Brzustewicz was on the same team as him.
I really liked him not sure how underrated he was but he was one Ranger who never backed down from the Knights shenanigans. However he was also one Ranger that although the Knights focused on him they also paid him some respect. Tells you a lot about his on ice prescence!

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I really liked him not sure how underrated he was but he was one Ranger who never backed down from the Knights shenanigans. However he was also one Ranger that although the Knights focused on him they also paid him some respect. Tells you a lot about his on ice prescence!
Absolutely! Kid is a gamer. The type of guy anybody wants on their team. But nobody wants to play against.

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
Leading the league in +/- on a middling team as a non-scoring (0.5 ppg) defenseman means you're very good at your job. Was only 4 mins behind PIM leader, too. Kid is a rock.

I think it was game 3 when he didn't get sucked into the Boulton gong show (Sawyer holding him trying to get him off the ice). Ando held back, which he had difficulty with earlier, and the Rangers scored on the PP. Was Sawyer's last shift of the game 3 mins into the 2nd. Dale was steaming.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I took in the scrimmage this morning. Hard to get a good look at everyone. And I’m admittedly not the best judge of talent.

But for me, Romano, Lam and Stark easily the best on the ice. Predictably.

Of our 08’s, Headrick and Cameron looked good. Not outstanding but good. Antsis is another I liked.

I thought on D, Xu and Bray looked better than Bilecki and Gaitens. These guys weren’t bad, but Xu and Bray looked noticeably better.

Of our U18 drafts picks, I like Giordano the best. Looked fast, nifty, used his size and has a nice shot. Looks like a player.

I won’t get to any more of the scrimmages, so any views from anybody else, and what they see going forward would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I took in the scrimmage this morning. Hard to get a good look at everyone. And I’m admittedly not the best judge of talent.

But for me, Romano, Lam and Stark easily the best on the ice. Predictably.

Of our 08’s, Headrick and Cameron looked good. Not outstanding but good. Antsis is another I liked.

I thought on D, Xu and Bray looked better than Bilecki and Gaitens. These guys weren’t bad, but Xu and Bray looked noticeably better.

Of our U18 drafts picks, I like Giordano the best. Looked fast, nifty, used his size and has a nice shot. Looks like a player.

I won’t get to any more of the scrimmages, so any views from anybody else, and what they see going forward would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks ES. I didn't make it this year. But in past years I particularly liked to compare the new guys to the returning players that just completed their first OHL season. It's a good measuring stick for the new guys.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Romano was easily the best player on the ice. Labrash used his size etc but didn’t look all that fast. Had me thinking whether he could keep up at this level where Giordano, for me, looked like he’d be able to. That’s comparing the U18 skaters.

I hoped for more out of Schneider. Sure he’s big and I liked what I saw of him last year, but despite being a year older, didn’t standout much for me today. Had me wondering if we used the 15th rounder on him last year as a favour.

Modopolous also was just meh for me. Not really that big (but neither was the old man. Height wise anyway).

I assume there was a no fight rule in place? Unless I missed it, no sign of animosity or hint someone was looking to go. I’m thinking you better be able to show you can play the game before you advance to where those restrictions are lifted. Makes sense in today’s day and age.

Reactions: bobber

Squirrel88

Jul 1, 2023
Leading the league in +/- on a middling team as a non-scoring (0.5 ppg) defenseman means you're very good at your job. Was only 4 mins behind PIM leader, too. Kid is a rock.

I think it was game 3 when he didn't get sucked into the Boulton gong show (Sawyer holding him trying to get him off the ice). Ando held back, which he had difficulty with earlier, and the Rangers scored on the PP. Was Sawyer's last shift of the game 3 mins into the 2nd. Dale was steaming.
There was an article in the record on Ando a couple months back. He talked about his struggles as a rookie - MM is quoted saying the Rangers were worried that they had wasted a pick on him. He also said in the article that he was getting coaching or counselling anger and impulse control, wanted to limit his responses in the moment. Take a number and find a time later in the game. I think we saw that later in the year - far fewer retaliation penalties.

Tough to be a top defensive D in the O at 18. His play really allowed Hunter B room to do his thing.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Romano was easily the best player on the ice. Labrash used his size etc but didn’t look all that fast. Had me thinking whether he could keep up at this level where Giordano, for me, looked like he’d be able to. That’s comparing the U18 skaters.

I hoped for more out of Schneider. Sure he’s big and I liked what I saw of him last year, but despite being a year older, didn’t standout much for me today. Had me wondering if we used the 15th rounder on him last year as a favour.

Modopolous also was just meh for me. Not really that big (but neither was the old man. Height wise anyway).

I assume there was a no fight rule in place? Unless I missed it, no sign of animosity or hint someone was looking to go. I’m thinking you better be able to show you can play the game before you advance to where those restrictions are lifted. Makes sense in today’s day and age.
Kitchener has usually had a no fight rule most years at camp which I support. Don’t need some kid trying to earn a job by wailing on another kid who isn’t there for that.
But makes me wonder about Hlacar. I know KIT was interested in bringing him in mid-year but weren’t able to make it work. For him to be back now, I wonder if there’s a bit of an agreement?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad