Transfer: Summer Transfer News and Rumors Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Would you like to actually compare every player on both teams? It would take a long time but it wouldn't look so good. You'll have to point out what fake news I've posted though. The only time I post about Arsenal is when people are posting ridiculous nonsense, I think they'll finish fifth should they make the improvements they're rumored to make. That's hardly bad, but I do expect a rather significant points gap between Tottenham and Arsenal.

Who here said anything about Arsenal players, player for player, being better than Tottenham's players besides AB?

And who posted any nonsense that led you to post fake Italian news about Torreira?

I just go by results and so far nothing has indicated that Tottenham is MILES ahead of Arsenal.

You can make predictions if you like but a smarter person would wait until the transfer window closes before doing such a thing.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Who here said anything about Arsenal players, player for player, being better than Tottenham's players besides AB?

And who posted any nonsense that led you to post fake Italian news about Torreira?

Oh, so it's the Torreira thing. I think you can hardly blame me for that considering it was regularly and widely reported.

I just go by results and so far nothing has indicated that Tottenham is MILES ahead of Arsenal.

I think this is your problem then. You are going by last season's results even though everything rational is indicating the truth is much closer to my version than yours. The same applies to Chelsea as was posted above.

You can make predictions if you like but a smarter person would wait until the transfer window closes before doing such a thing.

Arsenal aren't going to sign anyone as good as or as expensive as N'Dombele, so I don't think anyone really needs to wait on that.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Atletico have nothing to complain about. They put that release clause in his contract. Teams have contact with players all the time before their contracts are up.

Honigstein is reporting that Diallo will only leave Dortmund this summer if he pushes for a move and a very good bid comes in, so it seems unlikely that he'll be leaving.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Tottenham are the third best team in the EPL. Arsenal is closer to United.

Unfortunately Tottenham are at least somewhat close to Liverpool and City. It just depends how injuries/fatigue works out with all three teams. Tottenham would need the other two clubs to have a small amount of bad fortune, but who knows? Very well could happen. I don't really mind our lack of activity seeing as there are academy players who should be promoted and some key returns from injury. We'll have three or four players return who were injured all the time due to major, one-time injuries. Hopefully Keita won't get hurt over and over again either.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Would you like to actually compare every player on both teams? It would take a long time but it wouldn't look so good. You'll have to point out what fake news I've posted though. The only time I post about Arsenal is when people are posting ridiculous nonsense, I think they'll finish fifth should they make the improvements they're rumored to make. That's hardly bad, but I do expect a rather significant points gap between Tottenham and Arsenal.

New thread time? lol

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lol it's not like Arsenal are going to buy anyone to replace him, so this is misguided. Part of their plan of not spending money was to have Koscielny there, and they won't get a large fee for him, so they've been absolutely ****ed. They also have not yet signed any new player to be at their club next season even though they finished where they did. More alarming is that they have also not sold anyone. I'm not the biggest fan of what their competition is doing either (Spurs are absolutely no longer their competition), but United and Chelsea have been far more proactive.
I'm not saying our team currently has the greatest youth talent, but it has been built pretty decently the last couple of years. Just play the damn kids, there isn't a big difference between staying in Europa for a year and finishing 13th for me. Sure we don't really have any prime CB talent, but it's better to play a kid with potential than a player who has asked for a move and currently his Achilles is being held up by Elmer Glue and Scotch tape.

E: No arguments from me, a couple days ago I mentioned that I'm more concerned we haven't sold anyone more than bringing anyone in. Currently it's going to be another season of mediocrity and that's the worst thing sports clubs can go through.

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Actually, extremely shocked that Barca wasn't more of a frontrunner with Juve for de Ligt.

I think there were issues meeting Raiola's demands and they've also already spend like 150m net this window between Griezmann and de Jong. Possible they just didn't want the outlay unless they could guarantee a recoup on Countinho.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Correct, with a lot of Spurs best players missing a massive amount of games. They were near the top of the table until that all happened.

Doesn't matter

They won the games. There's no luck to it.

The things you mentioned do not. The things that do make them miles ahead are:

Owner who spends money on great players.
Better manager.
Better squad with far more quality and depth.

Just look at how Arsenal fans and Spurs fans think about their own players in the aftermath of a loss and you'll find the answer you're looking for.
Injuries are part of football and so is building a squad deep enough to contend with injuries while playing in multiple competitions. I'd argue Spurs failed at that last year. Remains to be seen how their new squad does, which relates to the bolded. That's new this year, and all told, they've thus far added one player to their squad for next year, two if you count N'Koudou. Meanwhile, they've lost two, and there are rumors swirling around Trippier, Aurier, Alderweireld, and, kinda, Eriksen. Honestly, if Eriksen is sold, it doesn't take much to say that they've gone backward since last year.

For what it's worth, it's certainly arguable that Aubameyang and Lacazette are "great" players.

Regarding the underlined, even if that's all true, it's marginal at best, given that they, again, managed to edge out Arsenal by one point.

It's quite psychotic because this reaction only exists when other people are talking about their team. After the Europa League final they were agreeing with basically everything that's been said so far, but two months have passed while they've done nothing and their rival signed a world class midfielder, and now the teams are the same? It's very Evertonian of them and it's strange because Arsenal supporters used to be the most rational I knew of.

Look at the reaction from both sets of supporters after their respective European finals and tell me that those teams are of similar quality. One group was crying about their team having no quality or money and the other took stock of the future, the manager they have guiding them to a game of that importance, and how the team as currently structured could improve.
I see where the miscommunication lies. There's a difference between saying the teams are the same and saying that they're miles apart. I have no issue saying that Spurs are slightly ahead of Arsenal right now. I think Arsenal is still a year away from bottoming out and bouncing back while Spurs are on the upswing, although that could change with the defense of their squad starting to disperse.
Chelsea finished one point ahead of Spurs and I think most level headed fans would also suggest that Tottenham is considerably better thank Chelsea too, despite the final standings last season.
Well, losing Hazard and a manager while in a transfer ban might have something to do with that. Let's not act like that isn't a major reason why. Now, we can say that N'Dombele is worth however many points we want, but I don't think it's questionable in the slightest that he's not as good or impactful as Hazard.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I wouldn't call Tottenham "miles ahead" when they couldn't beat Arsenal last year and only finished 1 point ahead.

A fluke CL final appearance doesn't all of a sudden catapult them to Man City/Liverpool level.
No, but they are making ambitious signings for good young players, unlike Arsenal.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Well, losing Hazard and a manager while in a transfer ban might have something to do with that. Let's not act like that isn't a major reason why. Now, we can say that N'Dombele is worth however many points we want, but I don't think it's questionable in the slightest that he's not as good or impactful as Hazard.[/QUOTE]

But I’m saying even last season. Despite finishing a point ahead, I feel and think most would say that Spurs had a better quality squad than did Chelsea.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
The final was humiliating. For the first time ever, I was embarrassed of the team. I've lived through 6-0, 5-1, 8-2, etc. We have no future with players like Xhaka and Mustafi. We have 2 average-above average defenders and the rest are too young or garbage/injury prone. We lost our best midfielder and didn't even manage to replace him. But it's all good, we are getting a Fulham reject in Chambers back. This team is gonna finish 7th-8th as it stands ATM. Auba/Laca/Torreira will ask for moves and then shit is done. We are no longer a big club.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
No, but they are making ambitious signings for good young players, unlike Arsenal.
I mean, if the Saliba deal does end up in Arsenal's favor, as it was apparently very close to, then Arsenal will have signed Martinelli and Saliba which are two good young players. The key is that Arsenal needs to close Saliba and not let Spurs hijack it.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I mean, if the Saliba deal does end up in Arsenal's favor, as it was apparently very close to, then Arsenal will have signed Martinelli and Saliba which are two good young players. The key is that Arsenal needs to close Saliba and not let Spurs hijack it.
Martinelli is nothing special, Watford are signing better players from Brazil. Saliba will go to Spurs if rumors are to be believed.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
But I’m saying even last season. Despite finishing a point ahead, I feel and think most would say that Spurs had a better quality squad than did Chelsea.
Maybe. But then are we willing to say that Pochettino isn't a good enough manager for Spurs to win nothing and finish behind Chelsea who won a title, made it to the final of another, and got further in the FA Cup?

Talk is cheap, results matter

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Martinelli is nothing special, Watford are signing better players from Brazil. Saliba will go to Spurs if rumors are to be believed.
And if rumors were to be believed, Saliba was already going to Arsenal. Let's wait and see what happens.

But fine, if we're going to write off all players, then yes, you've convinced me.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Martinelli is quite good and highly rated in Brazil from what I've heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad