Transfer: Summer Transfer News and Rumors Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I defend Pogba often, and when he's on he's brilliant to watch. But his act gets old and his agent is a ********. I really dont want a group of players in a swap for him though. United need cash to rebuild. Not a marginally happy Douglas Costa.

I think there are way too many moving parts for this report to be true, honestly.

But, if it is, I'd imagine Juve would only be offering 1-2 players max and trying to bring the fee down from something like 130-150m to something around the 100m mark.

The list mentioned is players that need to be sold for the 100m haha.

I'd probably take Costa if I were United, though. They need a RW badly, and he's left-footed as well. You can always flip him in a couple of seasons if Woodward doesn't give him a dumbass contract (which is always possible).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
More importantly, PSG is likely selling Draxler, Cavani, Nsoki, Nkunku, Diaby, are losing Rabiot's salary, Meunier, Krychowiak, Trapp, are losing Buffon's salary, Jese, are getting 35M out of Lo Celso, etc...
In return, they're getting Herrera on a free, and maybe De Ligt and Griez.
But yeah, surely, they are manipulating the books.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think there are way too many moving parts for this report to be true, honestly.

But, if it is, I'd imagine Juve would only be offering 1-2 players max and trying to bring the fee down from something like 130-150m to something around the 100m mark.

The list mentioned is players that need to be sold for the 100m haha.

I'd probably take Costa if I were United, though. They need a RW badly, and he's left-footed as well. You can always flip him in a couple of seasons if Woodward doesn't give him a dumbass contract (which is always possible).

He's turning 29 at the start of this season. He's not being flipped in a couple seasons for anything remotely valuable. If United are able to get him cheap (wages and inclusion on a transfer that doesn't knock a ton off the fee) he's not a bad stand in for a couple years, but it's fundamentally going to be a sunk cost. They wouldn't be getting hardly anything back when they move on.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
With some of these, it might be 60 now, but by the end of the summer, teams will look at a full season of playing with a player who doesn't really want to be there after their head turned, and they usually make the deal.

Wan-Bissaka might not be agitating right now, but give him some time, getting around his family, his agent, whomever, and he might push a little harder.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
More importantly, PSG is likely selling Draxler, Cavani, Nsoki, Nkunku, Diaby, are losing Rabiot's salary, Meunier, Krychowiak, Trapp, are losing Buffon's salary, Jese, are getting 35M out of Lo Celso, etc...
In return, they're getting Herrera on a free, and maybe De Ligt and Griez.
But yeah, surely, they are manipulating the books.

To be compliant, and get the Neymar and Mbappe deals under the wire, they've had to be at least a little creative at minimum. They might sell all those players. They might even make a hefty chunk for what they spent.

It's just going to take some wrangling to get a lot of that across the line. If I know PSG is up against it, and needs to move some of those players, why would I pay a ton? Moving players out who like the wages, the lifestyle, and don't want to move is not always easy. I mean, Liverpool have had some crap on the books for years that they couldn't talk into giving up a salary.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
A lot of publications, some more reliable, some less, are reporting that he'd be announced soon by United now that the Nation's League final has been played.

I'm reading elsewhere that the less reliable ragas are claiming United and Wan-Bissaka have agreed to personar terms, but the clubs have yet to agree on the transfer price. According to Matt Law (Tier 2 on the reliability chart) : Manchester United may need to bid £60m to sign Aaron Wan-Bissaka after £40m offer is rejected

Wan-Bissaka is a guy I think makes a ton of sense for United. You could make a case he's the best defensive RB (or FB) in the league and he's only 21. He hasn't been able to display his attacking qualities as much as I'd like due to playing for Palace, but I think I've seen enough to think he could hold his own.

The problem is the damn fee, Jussi. I'm not feeling 60m at all.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Neymar's deal was 2 years ago. Since then many sponsors have been interested in PSG. They have developped immensly since then. It was also part of the signing pros in fact.
Mbappe's explosion has only reinforced this.
Those players I noticed are all on the go. Those are either done deals (Kry, Lo Celso, Rabiot), will be done this summer (the others) and one will be shown the door (Draxler).

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
He's turning 29 at the start of this season. He's not being flipped in a couple seasons for anything remotely valuable. If United are able to get him cheap (wages and inclusion on a transfer that doesn't knock a ton off the fee) he's not a bad stand in for a couple years, but it's fundamentally going to be a sunk cost. They wouldn't be getting hardly anything back when they move on.

I was thinking China, my man. There's already been talk he's considering it right now.

I know his age and how the market works, I can assure you.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
He is doing the same as De Jong to get a bigger fee/wages by FCB. He will come to Barcelona.
This seems a likely outcome.

While I've enjoyed dreaming of him joining Liverpool, everyone not named Barcelona or PSG is only linked to drive up the price.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
My problem with targeting Wan-Bissaka is not with the player himself. He's 21 and already one of the best in his position in the PL. My problem with him is in two dimensions; he's the same age as Dalot, whom is also promising. To what degree of his signing would that block Dalot? I'm not sure there would be enough of playing time for both down the line.

Second, if Palace want 60 million for him, I believe the money can be better spent elsewhere. What about for a CB? A RW? A box to box midfielder to replace Herrera? All more pressing needs than RB at the moment.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Wan-Bissaka is a guy I think makes a ton of sense for United. You could make a case he's the best defensive RB (or FB) in the league and he's only 21. He hasn't been able to display his attacking qualities as much as I'd like due to playing for Palace, but I think I've seen enough to think he could hold his own.

The problem is the damn fee, Jussi. I'm not feeling 60m at all.

Yeah, I'm thinking 50-55 would be the max.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
@I Eat Crow

lol, the honest answer is that Wan-Bissaka blocks the living hell out of Dalot.

There's no way to sugarcoat it. You'd have to move on from the kid within 2-3 years, tops, or use him further up the pitch.

I agree, I don't love the 60m valuation at all. But if you can have your RB position figured out for the next decade, plus he's homegrown...there are honestly much worse ways to invest 60m if you take a long-term view of it. In 5-6 years we might have 100m FB's for all I know. The market is so ****** these days it's hard to say.

I guess if you believe in Dalot, then sure, Wan-Bissaka makes no sense, but from what I've heard they're not really convinced by him internally.

What do you think United's transfer budget will be (without sales) 150-200? I think it might be. The Glazers only react when you're out of top 4.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I defend Pogba often, and when he's on he's brilliant to watch. But his act gets old and his agent is a ********. I really dont want a group of players in a swap for him though. United need cash to rebuild. Not a marginally happy Douglas Costa.

I’d take Cancelo in a heartbeat in a pogba deal tbf. Young and fills a need for us.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
@I Eat Crow

lol, the honest answer is that Wan-Bissaka blocks the living hell out of Dalot.

There's no way to sugarcoat it. You'd have to move on from the kid within 2-3 years, tops, or use him further up the pitch.

I agree, I don't love the 60m valuation at all. But if you can have your RB position figured out for the next decade, plus he's homegrown...there are honestly much worse ways to invest 60m if you take a long-term view of it. In 5-6 years we might have 100m FB's for all I know. The market is so ****** these days it's hard to say.

I guess if you believe in Dalot, then sure, Wan-Bissaka makes no sense, but from what I've heard they're not really convinced by him internally.

What do you think United's transfer budget will be (without sales) 150-200? I think it might be. The Glazers only react when you're out of top 4.

yeah agreed - Dalot can be the utility guy. LB/RB, RW. Maybe he forces his way into the lineup. That's a problem I wouldn't worry about now.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
yeah agreed - Dalot can be the utility guy. LB/RB, RW. Maybe he forces his way into the lineup. That's a problem I wouldn't worry about now.

Also, the chances Dalot ever has a season like Wan-Bissaka had are pretty slim.

I'm not sure people really understand how good that kid is. He's like a shutdown corner.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Wan-Bissaka is only 15 months older than Dalot, I'm not remotely worried about him "blocking" Dalot.

This wouldn't be bringing in some 27 year old to block the youngster, it would be bringing in another youngster who is better.

If Dalot is something special (I haven't really seen much evidence of that yet) then he'll force his way in anyway.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Logic:

-Sign 19-year-old RB from Portugal. Touted as being one of best FB prospects in the world.

- Sign a guy 15 months older than highly touted RB. Who is undoubtedly better and would be the starter for a decade.

- Create a situation where the highly touted RB now has no foreseeable path to the 1st team in his natural position for the next 10 years.

- Convince yourself that "blocking" means something else to argue on the internet.

Good times.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Now according to Lisbon tabloid Correio de Manha, the most-circulated daily newspaper in Portugal, the Reds are “looking for an opportunity” to sign the attacking midfielder.

It is claimed that this is due to Fernandes’ admiration for Jurgen Klopp‘s approach, which stems from a relatively innocuous interview with De Cadeirinha podcast at the end of May.

“I really like Liverpool. It’s a more direct, more offensive, perhaps less organised, but more intense football,” he explained.

Supposedly Spurs are in pole position to sign Bruno Fernandes, but should Liverpool express interest it's thought that he would choose them over anyone.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
According to O Jogo, Spurs have met the asking price for Bruno Fernandes.

However, it is generally considered that O Jogo is most reliable reporting on Porto. Sporting/Benfica would be A Bola.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The Liverpool Echo claim that Harry Wilson will be given a chance to prove his worth at Liverpool in pre-season.
The Welshman shone on loan at Derby County last season, scoring 15 goals to help them to the Championship playoff final, which they subsequently lost 2-1 to Aston Villa.
Despite plenty of talk suggesting the Reds will accept offers of around £25 million for Wilson this summer, Klopp understandably wants to take another look at him.
The 22-year-old will have “ample time” to show he is worthy of being retained, with Liverpool playing eight friendlies, as well taking part in the Community Shield and UEFA Super Cup, against City and Chelsea respectively.
This is especially true as the Reds’ attacking trio of Sadio Mane, Roberto Firmino and Mohamed Salah will not return to pre-season until after the US tour games.

Encouraging for Wilson. It'll be interesting to see how that situation is dealt with; he certainly has a lot of potential and personally I think he'd be a better option to keep than Shaqiri as he is a serviceable player even outside of his production (build up specifically)...but again he's just one of those players that produces at every level even if he doesn't look exceptional doing it all the time.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Supposedly Spurs are in pole position to sign Bruno Fernandes, but should Liverpool express interest it's thought that he would choose them over anyone.

There's a reason I don't think we'll sign him and it's largely due to a lack of defensive effort. He plays very much like Pogba in that regard and when the United link flew in, I could only imagine them in the same team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad