Transfer: Summer Transfer news and rumors discussion part 11: Sky Sports Deadline show

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If you insist on playing dumb, I'll be very clear.

Since you love direct quotes, here are some.

I'll split your three sentences up into A, B, and C. But A and C are essentially the same thing, so I will group them.

A and C. This is completely about the level of play they get weekly, which has caused their level of play to decline. You and others want to make this about Europe vs. MLS. I've been called a Euro Snob. Thats funny because usually I'm defending MLS. Apparently though I have to now say I believe it's better for American players to play in MLS over significantly better leagues.

B. I was very clear about this. I don't know why you initially claimed things I never argued, but I guess you can say I implied it to cover your bases for either misreading what I said, not reading it, or not understanding what I said.
A&C) Again as I said Altidore wasn't good enough to play at a high level in Europe. He was only good in the Netherlands for the 2 seasons he was there. I completely understand why he'd prefer to play at home instead of playing in Turkey, Netherlands, 2nd English division or somewhere like Belgium. And again for Bradley, he left when he was like 5th choice CM. Sure he would be in a higher level league, but he would hardly be playing which also isn't great for his development.

B) It's absolutely relevant. By the same the point of view Donovan should've shown some ambition and spent his time in Europe right? Or is it different because he is one of the best Americans players?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Please explain how this makes any sense. It looks like you've arrived at the same conclusion as what I said, but you framed it as a back track. If there was any backtracking, it wasn't done on my end.
My conclusion is that Altidore and Bradley were right to go MLS and that the correlation between them leaving Europe and the US sucking is unfair to them as players.
Generally though, I agree. We can all have our own opinions. I just don't think what I said should be misrepresented. Thats why this is dragging out.
I don't know where you are getting the misrepresentation, you clearly think the 2 players being discussed were a huge part of the US's absence in Russia.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
MLS was a decent top 30 league 5 years ago. Now it's probably top 40 but the quality definitely dropped

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
The quality hasnt dropped and neither has the league.
It is easily in the top 20 in the world and i say that as not exactly a fan of the league.

Reactions: Basement Cat

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
I mean if I was a Whitecaps fan, Id feel like I was watching USL. So I get it.
Half the western conference is unbelievably bad.

We are terrible yet only a few points out of a playoff spot.

Eastern conference is slightly better but let's not kid ourselves. Pirlo, Lampard, Keane, Davies, Cole, Bastian, Kaka, rooney, Drogba, Henry, BWP, ect... Brings their teammates up a couple levels with their expectations and experience.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Considering he had 6 goals for Hearts in 17/18, your point isnt getting any stronger.

Reactions: Cucumber

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Half the western conference is unbelievably bad.

We are terrible yet only a few points out of a playoff spot.

Eastern conference is slightly better but let's not kid ourselves. Pirlo, Lampard, Keane, Davies, Cole, Bastian, Kaka, rooney, Drogba, Henry, BWP, ect... Brings their teammates up a couple levels with their expectations and experience.
Only one of those players are still in the league and he’s a rotational option. MLS is so much better than you are giving them credit for. Whitecaps are where they are because of the tournament and didn’t they have a hot streak coming out of the tournament?

Colorado, Vancouver, and Cincinnati should not be considered the norm for MLS clubs. They are all still stuck in the old way of MLS clubs and aren’t good. Colorado is starting to turn it around but still have no clear goal. RSL is another that isn’t great but have started leaning towards the youth and producing youth so I give them a pass. The rest are either trying to create a winning environment, have a winning history, or are focused on youth.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
  • Barça are looking to extend Araujo's contract until 2026.
  • PSG apparently interested in loaning Puig in January, but Barça don't want to do it.
  • Barça were apparently interested in Luiz Felipe of Lazio over the Summer when Garcia fell through. Not sure what the price would have been, but the club has been rumored to be interested before.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is unfortunate, but it may be the right decision. He looks really tentative in the limited minutes he's gotten. He's been backing up Haaland so far. He hasn't even gotten a start yet, but with Moukoko joining the first team squad after the international break, there will be even fewer minutes. There's probably a little too much depth right now for Reinier to break in.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Just like basically every french talent ever, he is a childhood Arsenal fan. Just get it done Mikel. Partey-Pogba has everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad