Transfer: Summer Transfer news and rumors discussion part 11: Sky Sports Deadline show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I mean maybe he’s more reliable than you give him credit for?

No, he isn't. This guy is treated as this sport's Adam Schefter. He's not the football (soccer) equivalent of Schefter. He publicizes a lot of info, so it seems like he has so many more sources than everyone else. Some of it not true, some of it complete rumor that has little chance of happening. He interacts with fans on social media, has his own catchphrase, and a podcast. He has a lot of the hallmarks of a premier insider, except he's wrong much more than Schefter (or a Bob McKenzie). There are guys with just as much info as him in the football business, but they will only report something if they reliably know it's true. This guy reports anything he hears. Thats why he's wrong so often.

Thats not to say that he's not right a lot of the time, but just because he says it doesn't mean its true. I don't know when people will start to realize this.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
No, he isn't. This guy is treated as this sport's Adam Schefter. He's not the football (soccer) equivalent of Schefter. He publicizes a lot of info, so it seems like he has so many more sources than everyone else. Some of it not true, some of it complete rumor that has little chance of happening. He interacts with fans on social media. He has a lot of the hallmarks of a premier insider, except he's wrong much more than Schefter (or a Bob McKenzie). There are guys with just as much info as him in the football business, but they will only report something if they reliably know it's true. This guy reports anything he hears. Thats why he's wrong so often. Thats not to say that he's not right a lot of the time, but just because he says it doesn't mean its true. I don't know when people will start to realize this.
If you listened to the content you would know that half the stuff highlighted was talking about stuff from the past. They talked about Ole flying out to Norway to make his pitch for Haaland and talked about how United had 4 different payment structures for Sancho, all which were promptly rejected.

As for his reliability, his hit rate is just as high as someone like Ornstein who is well regarded around here as well.

Reactions: Blender

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
These guys are only as reliable as the motives of who is feeding them the rumors.

A lot of times you just have to ask yourself - who benefits from this being made public?

People overthink a lot of these rumors. No one has a firm expert grasp of everything is going on. You're never going to find an Adam Schefter in the world of soccer. Because it spans an entire world. With agents and players from tons of different countries playing for teams located all throughout the world. It's way way more complex than any NA big 4 league.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Something can be true and not happen. There is a difference between someone who only reports on done deals and someone who also reports on possible deals, because most possible deals are not going to actually happen.

Reactions: Aladyyn

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
These guys are only as reliable as the motives of who is feeding them the rumors.

A lot of times you just have to ask yourself - who benefits from this being made public?

People overthink a lot of these rumors. No one has a firm expert grasp of everything is going on. You're never going to find an Adam Schefter in the world of soccer. Because it spans an entire world. With agents and players from tons of different countries playing for teams located all throughout the world. It's way way more complex than any NA big 4 league.

The most "plugged-in" sportswriter that I know of is the NBA's Adrian Wojnarowski. I've heard on multiple NBA podcasts with other NBA-reporters & players, references to NBA execs calling Woj "the 31st franchise" (in a 30 team league) and regularly checking in with Woj before finalizing their transactions with the league office...as well as just checking in with him for information about trades that they are considering.

And it's no coincidence that talent & power in Basketball is much more concentrated than in Football, Hockey, or the NFL, and the star players have a lot more control than the other big NA sports...and there's a case to be made that elite NBA players have even more power than do their footballing peers; even though a transfer system like world football has, is beyond even their wildest dreams.

The increasingly imbalanced pyramid structure at the top of club football means that even a Messi or CR7, can only reach the pinnacle of the sport while playing for maybe a dozen different sides in all of club football...and I feel like that's a generous estimate which includes some clubs that are nowhere near that level but have the finances/infrastructure to support that caliber of a team.

Whereas an alltime great NBA player just needs to avoid being drafted by the knicks*, as we've seen LeBron turn a mismanaged ****hole like Cleveland into a contender for a decade and Giannis turn a Chicago suburb into the home of an elite NBA team for as long as he chooses to stay in Milwaukee.

*and even being drafted by the Knicks isn't a death sentence as long as that player isn't arrogant/dumb enough to think they can fix this tire-fire; as we saw when Porzingis successfully saved his career last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Arsenal are apparently interested in Sander Berge. What an underwhelming signing that would be.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I would love a Ramos - Højbjerg central line :D obviously not happening.

Yes. I would agree. Arsenal having a young and strong CM would be underwhelming. Ridiculous potential that kid. Still annoyed that Spurs didn't buy him. Not a given that he will establish himself at a top club of course, but more likely than not in my opinion. Very little he can't do.

Reactions: Gecklund

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I would love a Ramos - Højbjerg central line :D obviously not happening.

Yes. I would agree. Arsenal having a young and strong CM would be underwhelming. Ridiculous potential that kid. Still annoyed that Spurs didn't buy him. Not a given that he will establish himself at a top club of course, but more likely than not in my opinion. Very little he can't do.

Ridiculous potential? I guess you have seen much more than me, but he has not looked that impressive at Sheffield United. Young, strong, defensively solid and physical, but does he really have any standout attributes? We need to go for more ambitious signings, I think. Would prefer a different profile of midfielder too, a creative box to box midfielder like Lorenzo Pellegrini.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Ridiculous potential? I guess you have seen much more than me, but he has not looked that impressive at Sheffield United. Young, strong, defensively solid and physical, but does he really have any standout attributes? We need to go for more ambitious signings, I think. Would prefer a different profile of midfielder too, a creative box to box midfielder like Lorenzo Pellegrini.

He is actually very good offensively. In Norway he was never really considered a DM when he was younger. And I believe he is playing more as an 8 these days for Sheffield as well.

You are right in a sense that he is in my opinion too timid. So he doesn't show his full potential that often. Obviously that has to change before he can play for a bigger team.

He is strong. He is surprisingly fast. He can carry the ball almost like Pogba used to in his younger days (not suggesting he is Pogba from Juventus of course). Technically his passing is excellent. He can also shoot. Will he ever fulfill all of this? I don't know. He is already at such a high level even playing regularly at PL level so the next small % is always difficult to predict. In terms of potential I can't think of many CMs in that age group I like more. Only big weakness except from that "timidness" is he sometimes needs a bit too much time to get his feet sorted. Not because he isn't technically solid, but with such a large frame it will look a bit slow at times. That is potentially an issue playing for a bigger team than Sheffield.

Personally I would love it if Spurs replaced Sissoko with Berge.

Reactions: Gecklund and AB13

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

Isn't Partey that creative box-to-box player?

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Isn't Partey that creative box-to-box player?

Partey is not creative. He is a powerful defensive rock with good technique and box to box abilities, but he does not have a killer pass or much of a goalscoring touch. His playing style is probably more similar to Kanté than someone like Ramsey.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Partey is not creative. He is a powerful defensive rock with good technique and box to box abilities, but he does not have a killer pass or much of a goalscoring touch.
He also is not an mf destroyer type either. He is more creative and progressive than you are giving him credit for here.

Attachments

• Partey.png
    Partey.png
    815.4 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Blender and AB13

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
He also is not an mf destroyer type either. He is more creative and progressive than you are giving him credit for here.

I think Partey has all the abilities of a destroyer. I would probably utilize him as a holding midfielder in a double pivot, with a bit of a license to roam forward. He might be a good ball progressor from deep, but he is far from a final third creator.

Reactions: robertmac43

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Something very funny to me about the fact that Halilovic busted while Odegaard seems to be coming good

I don't know Halilovic´s story, but extremely impressed by how Ødegaard stayed focused and never got stressed. I was late in understanding how talented he is/was, but boy am I on board now.

I remember how Halilovic popped up in Norwegian media as the kid who took the development path Ødegaard should have taken - when Halilovic played La Liga while Ødegaard was still stuck playing at %"##% pitches for Castilla.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A bunch of tier-one US reporters are saying that 19 year old FC Dallas RB Bryan Reynolds is going to transfer to Juventus for 6-7M in the winter transfer window. He's really more of a wingback. Former attacker. He can absolutely fly and he's like 6'3. Great attacking skills. Got him all the way to US youth teams as a striker/winger, and then they switched him in the last few years to RB. He's still learning to defend, but Juventus is buying potential here. If he learns to defend, he could be a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->