Proposal: Summer Deal Lucic for Eberle??

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
If my memory still works, didn't Looch have his most effective year(not counting empty netters) when he was on a line with Savard, before Savy had his career ended by He who will not be named?

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
I think the Lucic question comes down to 2 opinions. He is the SHAQ of the NHL no Doubt... But is he the SHAQ leaving Miami to Los Angeles or is he the SHAQ leaving Miami to Pheonix?? Funny question being asked of someone who is only 25 years old but an honest question for someone who has played this kind of style his whole life and may have hit a wall and just can't do it anymore.

I don't think anyone hates Looch or even thinks he isn't trying, but there is a strong opinion that He just can't do it like he did it before. At 6 Million, that is a problem and the Bruins need to see what this guy has left and if they feel he's not ever gonna be the same player, then they will probably move him and there will be teams to take a chance on Him.

It is a very fair question to ask.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
He's only 25 years old next season. There's no reason to think he has nothing left in the tank or can't preform the same way as the previous 2 seasons or better. Unless he's been hindered by injuries, which has not happened according to anyone.

It's in his head, not sure of the reason though.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I think the Lucic question comes down to 2 opinions. He is the SHAQ of the NHL no Doubt... But is he the SHAQ leaving Miami to Los Angeles or is he the SHAQ leaving Miami to Pheonix?? Funny question being asked of someone who is only 25 years old but an honest question for someone who has played this kind of style his whole life and may have hit a wall and just can't do it anymore.

I don't think anyone hates Looch or even thinks he isn't trying, but there is a strong opinion that He just can't do it like he did it before. At 6 Million, that is a problem and the Bruins need to see what this guy has left and if they feel he's not ever gonna be the same player, then they will probably move him and there will be teams to take a chance on Him.

It is a very fair question to ask.

How is he the Shaq of the NHL? Just cause he's big?

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
really so its a crutch to say that every GM in the NHL wants the guy would think is lazy and should be traded? how so? Its to the point that the oilers said we want a guy like Lucic on our team.

It's just like the people that get on Z's case. when you see a guy every game you remember and pick apart all the mistakes. But you want that great player from the other team that you watch 4 times a year or on highlight reals.

the grass is always greener.

Like someone else said Hartnall went through a similar stretch and there were a ton of Philly fans calling for him to be traded then he turns is around and the trade the bum comments stopped. Bet they would have been pissed if he was traded and turned it around on a rival.

What? Pro sports is FILLED with GM's who think they can either turn around a
malcontent (Belichick) or haven't paid enough attention to a players all around game.
You make it sound like they are all brain surgeons.

You realize Chiarelli was going to trade Kessel for Kaberle and Toronto's #1? How would that have worked out for Boston? They make PLENTY of mistakes.

Its a legit question to ask if he's now peaked. If you think he has I have no issue
exploring trade options.

If you think he's so unique seems to me you should be able to get maybe the #3 -#5 pick for him, no?

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
What? Pro sports is FILLED with GM's who think they can either turn around a
malcontent (Belichick) or haven't paid enough attention to a players all around game.
You make it sound like they are all brain surgeons.

You realize Chiarelli was going to trade Kessel for Kaberle and Toronto's #1? How would that have worked out for Boston? They make PLENTY of mistakes.

Its a legit question to ask if he's now peaked. If you think he has I have no issue
exploring trade options.

If you think he's so unique seems to me you should be able to get maybe the #3 -#5 pick for him, no?

he has peaked at 24? yet how old was marchand before he even broke into the NHL? I Think Lucic is far from the top of his game right now and I don't think he has hit the top of his game yet in his career.

You points are valid from a certin point of view I for one don't share it though.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
thanks appreciate it but that is all in the past for the most part. My girls are now 7 and doing great and my wife has been cancer free for a few years now. She is going though some other liver issues which they have not figured out yet but the cancer thing was hard.

:heart: WOW you have had a tough time.

I hate when people make statements like "Lucic thinks he is an elite scorer" I have NEVER seen or heard anything about him saying that and don't believe Looch has ever though himself an elite scorer. Why do people post this crap ? :rant:

For those who think the kid has no heart than you should see his face on the bench.

I agree he isn't playing well but I think he will. I do not know why he is having a tough time but lack of heart isn't the reason.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
:heart: WOW you have had a tough time.

I hate when people make statements like "Lucic thinks he is an elite scorer" I have NEVER seen or heard anything about him saying that and don't believe Looch has ever though himself an elite scorer. Why do people post this crap ? :rant:

For those who think the kid has no heart than you should see his face on the bench.

I agree he isn't playing well but I think he will. I do not know why he is having a tough time but lack of heart isn't the reason.

It was hard for a while but she is cancer free and my girls are great. There are people that have it much worse and a lot more of them after monday.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
He's only 25 years old next season. There's no reason to think he has nothing left in the tank or can't preform the same way as the previous 2 seasons or better. Unless he's been hindered by injuries, which has not happened according to anyone.

So now we've got the following:

1. unknown injury. An injury which the team has not acknowledged, which hasn't led to one scratch for recovery reasons all year, and which wasn't bad enough to prevent a normally reserved head coach from calling him out multiple times

2. super duper sleepy from all-night baby feedings

3. "something in his head"

I can only imagine what's next. Scary movies? Itchy uniform? Smelly equipment? Sniffles? What's next?

I'm not trying to "hate" on the guy but come on.

NHRonin

Jul 21, 2005
Okinawa
You are so off (as usual):help::shakehead

You don't know if he is injured . Don't assume he isn't.:shakehead

Looch doesn't think he is an elite goal scorer. Where the hell did you hear that ?? Stop making crap like that up it makes you look foolish.

You shouldn't post things you know nothing about.

I am out of this thread before I get myself in trouble.

Too many stupid thoughtless posts.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Far too many unknowns to judge the man. A lot of players go through prolonged slumps/bad seasons. See Getzlaf and Ovechkin for starters. I'm as frustrated as anyone with Lucic's performance, but not ready to see him sent packing.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

1. unknown injury. An injury which the team has not acknowledged, which hasn't led to one scratch for recovery reasons all year, and which wasn't bad enough to prevent a normally reserved head coach from calling him out multiple times

I can only imagine what's next. Scary movies? Itchy uniform? Smelly equipment? Sniffles? What's next?

diaper rash

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

I'm not trying to "hate" on the guy but come on.

If it's not a physical problem. What else could it be but a mental problem? He's making poor decisions with the puck and not playing like he can. Are we to assume he's just got bad at hockey?

If he was out of shape at the start of the season, he should be in game shape by now, it's been 41 games and that's how you get in game shape, by playing games.

There's been no indication of injury or any point or play I can remember that would have cause one.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
He shoots less, he makes far less big hits, he fights less, he's making tremendously poor decisions in the offensive zone.

I agree on the bench he seems angry/passionate, but that's where the line is drawn.

If I had to lose Paille or Lucic for the entire playoffs, in today's current situation, I lose Lucic. Paille is contributing far more, and is setting a much better example.

Btw the best possible scenario for the entire franchise and fan base is if Lucic starts putting a goal in every 3rd game, and starts really being dominant physically. If he does that, everyone wins. There's no doubt, I'm not rooting against him (or any Bruin).

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
If it's not a physical problem. What else could it be but a mental problem? He's making poor decisions with the puck and not playing like he can. Are we to assume he's just got bad at hockey?

If he was out of shape at the start of the season, he should be in game shape by now, it's been 41 games and that's how you get in game shape, by playing games.

There's been no indication of injury or any point or play I can remember that would have cause one.

Not necessarily ... if he let his conditioning slide it could be the condensed schedule just wearing on him. Wouldn't surprise me if this was a big part of it, that he wasn't well enough prepared for the season, with the new wife and kid etc. I don't have a tonne of faith he'll get it together this season. I think he needs the off-season to get his crap together and come back like the player that deserves that contract he'll be making.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
This was an excellent post.

But you want to pay Horton 5 mill?

I'm thinking 2 at a one year contract. He hasn't shown anything in a while.

I agree with your other signings. Though Krug > ferrence?

Horton is a tricky thing... but im giving him the benefit of the doubt that the first year back after a huge concusion is a 'down year.' Bergeron was a bit sluggish his first year back too...

Horton scares me a lot because I fear he could become another Lindros/savard and finish his career way way too soon because of concusions, but then again Bergeron has the same risk and we committed to him...

I wouldn't be happy going forward without either lucic or Horton {unless we were intending to bring in someone like david Clarkson... to me this isn't a situation where we get rid of all of our intimidation factor... so Horton is the bird in hand and as such we have to pay him.

im sure he will get more than 5 per year if he hits the open market... even playing in our defense first system and on our dismal pp at around 17 mins of ice per game, he is still a 25+ goal scorer with size and cup winning experience.

someone would pay him 5+ on the open market.

im obviously hoping the 'hometown' discount can bring him back at what I am certain would be below market value.

id shoot for 4 mill cap hit but im not crazy about going 6-7 years and I think he would want that if hes going to take such a low cap hit.

my plan moving forward... is let jagr play top 6 for as long as jagr has gas in the tank... then move Horton back into the top 6 down the road. {knight might be ready for a top 9 role at that point...}

resign our ufa when they come up for new deals... resign Bergeron... resign Seidenberg on d... give Hamilton a new deal when he comes up...

this is a team we could keep together for a couple years... three years untouched {except jagr will eventually run out of gas...}

the cap will be a problem for 1 year and then should rise enough to let us find room for guys like Bergeron/Seidenberg.

the only other move I still see a need for is getting another pp/puckmover dman in our top 4. will klug be the answer? im not so convinced...

so id probably try to kick the tires what Calgary wants for dennis wideman. they signed him thinking they were 'going' for it. now they are in rebuild with lots of cap room. id tell Calgary if they eat 2 mill of widemans contract {bringing him to a 3.25 mill cap hit on our books} that I will give them boychuck for 'respectability' during their rebuild and caron {who simply doesn't fit into our plans anymore if we resign Horton/jagr} and id give Calgary our second round pick too...

it seems like a lot for wideman... but I don't want wideman at 5.25 mill per year... I want him at 3.25 and slot him into boychuck's cap room on the roster.

my team as I propose it with the 2 trades would then look like...

seguin/Bergeron/marchand
jagr/krecji/soderberg
Horton/Kelly/spooner {eager}
thornton/Campbell/paille
Bergeron/eager {spooner}

Hamilton/chara
wideman/Seidenberg
mcquaid/ference
bartowski {krug}

rask
khubodin

id be looking to trade Kelly as soon as spooner is ready to play center... trade off belenger/eager if any kids are ready to take their jobs before the deadline... and eventually deal off khubodin once someone is ready to take his spot too.

the rest of the team I resign when their current deals expire... eventually chara gets too old but by then most of the rest of the team will be reaching the age we need to rebuild anyhow.

we got a 4-5 year window until chara is done.... we got a core of the team that can last for 4-5 years without a lot of messing around... stability is great when you are trying for a dynasty.

lucic is the one guy that stands out as being horribly overpaid the way the rest of the team is shaping up. for 6 mill we need to be able to count on a guy as a first line player. lucic can be a first line player when healthy... but we rely on everyone pulling their weight all the time to be successful. lucic is too ineffective when hurt to be worth a 6 mill spot on the cap imo.

but... we don't need to bring back a high paid player to replace him... this lineup with jagr/Horton in place of lucic/peverly is imo every bit as good or better. we can either proceed with lucic/peverly or jagr/Horton and maybe add 3-4 very good picks/prospects.

that's what it boils down to for me

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Edwards was just on EEI. Said Lucic is a great guy who is very frustrated. Also said Julien isn't the sort of coach to get vindictive with players; rather he works with them to make them better. Said a game watching from upstairs may do Lucic some good, help him see what he needs to do.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Edwards was just on EEI. Said Lucic is a great guy who is very frustrated. Also said Julien isn't the sort of coach to get vindictive with players; rather he works with them to make them better. Said a game watching from upstairs may do Lucic some good, help him see what he needs to do.

I feel better knowing that. I thought he was a big ol' meanie. :sarcasm:

I really hope he sits tomorrow and comes back better than ever.

bostonphoenix

Jan 13, 2011
Horton is a tricky thing... but im giving him the benefit of the doubt that the first year back after a huge concusion is a 'down year.' Bergeron was a bit sluggish his first year back too...

Horton scares me a lot because I fear he could become another Lindros/savard and finish his career way way too soon because of concusions, but then again Bergeron has the same risk and we committed to him...

I wouldn't be happy going forward without either lucic or Horton {unless we were intending to bring in someone like david Clarkson... to me this isn't a situation where we get rid of all of our intimidation factor... so Horton is the bird in hand and as such we have to pay him.

im sure he will get more than 5 per year if he hits the open market... even playing in our defense first system and on our dismal pp at around 17 mins of ice per game, he is still a 25+ goal scorer with size and cup winning experience.

someone would pay him 5+ on the open market.

im obviously hoping the 'hometown' discount can bring him back at what I am certain would be below market value.

id shoot for 4 mill cap hit but im not crazy about going 6-7 years and I think he would want that if hes going to take such a low cap hit.

my plan moving forward... is let jagr play top 6 for as long as jagr has gas in the tank... then move Horton back into the top 6 down the road. {knight might be ready for a top 9 role at that point...}

resign our ufa when they come up for new deals... resign Bergeron... resign Seidenberg on d... give Hamilton a new deal when he comes up...

this is a team we could keep together for a couple years... three years untouched {except jagr will eventually run out of gas...}

the cap will be a problem for 1 year and then should rise enough to let us find room for guys like Bergeron/Seidenberg.

the only other move I still see a need for is getting another pp/puckmover dman in our top 4. will klug be the answer? im not so convinced...

so id probably try to kick the tires what Calgary wants for dennis wideman. they signed him thinking they were 'going' for it. now they are in rebuild with lots of cap room. id tell Calgary if they eat 2 mill of widemans contract {bringing him to a 3.25 mill cap hit on our books} that I will give them boychuck for 'respectability' during their rebuild and caron {who simply doesn't fit into our plans anymore if we resign Horton/jagr} and id give Calgary our second round pick too...

it seems like a lot for wideman... but I don't want wideman at 5.25 mill per year... I want him at 3.25 and slot him into boychuck's cap room on the roster.

my team as I propose it with the 2 trades would then look like...

seguin/Bergeron/marchand
jagr/krecji/soderberg
Horton/Kelly/spooner {eager}
thornton/Campbell/paille
Bergeron/eager {spooner}

Hamilton/chara
wideman/Seidenberg
mcquaid/ference
bartowski {krug}

rask
khubodin

id be looking to trade Kelly as soon as spooner is ready to play center... trade off belenger/eager if any kids are ready to take their jobs before the deadline... and eventually deal off khubodin once someone is ready to take his spot too.

the rest of the team I resign when their current deals expire... eventually chara gets too old but by then most of the rest of the team will be reaching the age we need to rebuild anyhow.

we got a 4-5 year window until chara is done.... we got a core of the team that can last for 4-5 years without a lot of messing around... stability is great when you are trying for a dynasty.

lucic is the one guy that stands out as being horribly overpaid the way the rest of the team is shaping up. for 6 mill we need to be able to count on a guy as a first line player. lucic can be a first line player when healthy... but we rely on everyone pulling their weight all the time to be successful. lucic is too ineffective when hurt to be worth a 6 mill spot on the cap imo.

but... we don't need to bring back a high paid player to replace him... this lineup with jagr/Horton in place of lucic/peverly is imo every bit as good or better. we can either proceed with lucic/peverly or jagr/Horton and maybe add 3-4 very good picks/prospects.

that's what it boils down to for me

At this point... Jagr >>>> Horton.

In 2 years you promote from within. Hell I think Soderberg is here to take over Hortons spot at cheaper money.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Well done. All because we dared criticize the great luc. Carry on. You have changed. I remember you rarely argued with anyone or threw insults at anyone, but lately you seem to be doing the direct opposite. Anyways,I'm done debating this Lucic topic or any topic for that matter. It's just sports to be me and not the end of the world

If anything she is to nice- I am glad to see some snarl, although I don't know what you said that got her to fire off the hate:madfire:; Does this mean you are leaving us (and it's the great Looch, not Luc. Luc is Luc Robitaille (knowing her as well as I do- she is my kid's aunt after all, you must have really crossed the line):shakehead

qc

Aug 23, 2011

I agree, it seems like a good idea for him to visit a sports psychologist if this slump persists.

I'm not interested in shopping him this offseason, regardless of how he finishes the year. I'd shop him next seasons trade deadline, depending on the FA market, if he doesn't get significantly better during the playoffs or early next season

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I feel better knowing that. I thought he was a big ol' meanie. :sarcasm:

I really hope he sits tomorrow and comes back better than ever.

Obviously paraphrased, but the gist of it was that Lucic isn't lazy, uncaring, unmotivated, that sort of thing. He's a good teammate who's going through a tough stretch.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Please explain them.

I think its unfair to say you cant see lucic's skills. this is a guy who has already had a 30 goal season despite our pp sucking and getting only 17 mins a game. most other 30 goal scorers are around 20 mins a game. 3 extra mins of ice time over a 82 game schedule is like 240 mins or around 12 extra games a year.

so when a 20 min per game guy scores 30 goals in what amounts to a 94 game schedule compared to lucic doing it in an 82 game schedule it does prove he has some ability to put the puck in the net

you might argue... he cant stay focused in 20 mins... gets too hurt... too run down... whatever... but he obviously can score goals in less icetime..

and he plays good enough defense that julien allows him to play. a lot of other 30 goal scorers wouldn't be able to play for us cause their defense isn't good enough...

and lucic is very effective in the corners when he wants to be... is a very big presence in front of the net when he wants to be...

but the single greatest thing about lucic is he fights like a goon but is able to play with the games other superstars... other fan bases can say that lucic ducks a guy like laraque if they want to... but he is supposed to duck laraque. laraque and guys like laraque are pure goons unable to play a regular shift. You would never expect eric staal or rick nash to fight shawn thornton because thornton is a goon. goons fight other goons... that's the way it is...

lucic is the clear champion among the games superstars for fighting. if lucic was to fight any of the games other superstars... he would destroy them. we saw him destroy komasarek in montreal and basically win us a series. we've seen him dominate the Toronto maple leaf teams in recent years with komasarek there too. lucic can demoralize the other team because their goons cant touch him and he destroys other superstar players...

basically the only other superstar in the nhl that could deal with lucic is chara... and we got him too.

having superstar players like lucic/chara/Horton who all rank in the top 10 for superstar hw's is why we are the most intimidating team in hockey to play against. thornton/mcquaid/Campbell are great too.. but every team in the nhl has a thornton/mcquaid/Campbell.

we are the only one that has a lucic and a chara. imo though we would be ok with just a chara and get the same effect. lucic to me at 6 mill is too much to pay for this 'intimidation' factor. Horton doesn't have the same intimidation factor but he has enough that partnered with chara and the others its enough.

still... don't run down lucic here. sure the guy gets injured.. and sure its hard to play 82 consistient games in his style of play while being injured... but lucic truly is a unique and special talent with tons of skills no one else has. if there was any way to keep him healthy all the time I would never in a billion years consider trading him.

its coming down entirely to our cap situation.. and how to manage it for me. we really struck gold getting soderberg at such a cheap cap hit... and now we have an opportunity with jagr here... I didn't expect this to happen, but chiarelli pulled off a small miracle I think getting jagr/soderberg here and now I think maybe that's the plan moving forward? get us a scoring line with big sized skill like this.

my hope is that the team will attempt to keep Horton too if they move lucic... we certainly don't need both lucic and Horton on a third line though. and we cant afford it either.

only 1 of lucic/Horton can be afforded under the cap next year. if we lose Horton... we lose him for nothing. lucic would bring us back value.

he is a unique talent and if we put him on the market there will be teams that will pony up for him

if not Edmonton... wouldn't the islanders be able to use lucic? I love the dman griffen reinheart they drafted. reinhart and a first for lucic/peverly to the islanders?

this years draft will probably net us a player that can play.... getting someone like reinhart or musil in a deal like this would give us a second guy that will play down the road...

it doesn't hurt to start our rebuild now if it doesn't cost us being able to ice a cup worthy team in the meantime.

id love to have a reinhart type to replace chara with in 4-5 years time and partner up with Hamilton for the next decade as a great 1-2 punch on our blueline.

a lucic is a unique enough talent that he would get us someone like a reinhart or a top 5 pick in this years draft if we move him. I think we should take advantage of that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad