Proposal: Summer Deal Lucic for Eberle??

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Wait, I know that some of us are getting all over Lucic here, and we disagree on that. That's fine.

But some of you would actually NOT trade Lucic for Jordan Eberle, straight up? The same Jordan Eberle that's already had a 34 goal season (and almost ppg)? He's got 12 in a wretched system switch this year (that everyone on the Oilers board is complaining about).

That kid has Marty St Louis type RW potential, and is 2 years younger than Milan. You can't/don't trade Lucic without getting a left w back from them, so

Lucic+Peverely for Eberle+Parjaarvi

Marchand -Bergeron-Seguin (15.5m)
Soderberg-Krejci-Eberle (12.25m)
Parjaarvi-Kelly-Jagr (8m)
Paille-Campbell-Prospect or Thornton (4m)

Chara-Seidenberg (10m)
Hamilton-Boychuk (3m)
McQuaid-Redden (5m)

Rask (5.75m)
Backup (750k)

It's tight, but that's a nice team. It's also a very young team, where you draft hard at D to replace Chara/Redden/Seidenberg over the next 3 years.

PP1: Seguin-Krejci-Jagr-Eberle-Hamilton
PP2: Bergeron-Soderberg-Marchand-Chara-Redden

I wouldn't do it. I like Eberle a lot but I value what Lucic can bring more.

Also, who cares that Eberle is two years younger?

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
After all I say about Lucic I still don't think it is necessary to trade him. At a later time if the $6mil becomes a problem depending on what he is doing on the ice I would consider a trade then.

I don't blame him for taking the money but, but, but me no buts.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Does anyone actually think Eberle would put up decent numbers in Boston?

bwahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa

hahaha

ha

mobileusa

Mar 30, 2013
This is my guess. Lots of life changes with a newborn by itself, but if there were any health issues with the baby or wife (remember he left the team briefly for personal reasons), than that could easily make him loose focus.
Bingo! You hit the nail right on the head, I totally agree

bostonphoenix

Jan 13, 2011
I'm confused. You run down Lucic pretty thoroughly there. Professionalism, character, health, etc.

Yet you say that if another GM offers a top 5 pick (we can agree, that's pretty valuable right?), you'd consider it. 1) If a GM would offer that, then obviously their opinion of Lucic is very different than yours, in which case maybe you're not right or, if you're right, you're delusional to believe such a deal is in the offing, 2) even then, you would only "consider it."

That just does not add up to me. Either you think he's a bum or you don't. Either you want to get rid of him or you don't. Either you would take a premium asset for him or you would not.

As far as him "magically" being better next year, I don't see where magic comes into play. He has been better in the past. Nothing magic happened for that to be true. Nothing magic happened for him to not be as good this year. Nothing magic needs to happen next year. No magic! He either will or will not be better next year based on which direction things go with whatever problems or limitations he is struggling with.

I have been frustrated by Lucic and thought about dealing him. Like many of his fans, that thought has crossed my mind as his slump as dragged on. And, again, if the right deal comes along, see ya. But it would have to be a pretty appealing deal like the "hockey trade" between Colorado and St Louis last year. Otherwise it makes the most sense to me to ride this out awhile. The Bruins can get out of this down the road if that is what needs to happen.

Cam Neely was once traded when it was not clear how his career would unfold. While Lucic will not reach that level, there is much to be said for sticking with a good player who is struggling, at least up to a point. I don't think we've reached that point.

Lucic has value as a player and his potential is still something to keep an eye on.

At some point potential is mute. I think that date is quickly arriving on him.

Depending on cap implications, or more so because of them. I would trade Lucic for a top pick. Yes.

Neely is an inappropriate analogy, maybe a more appropriate one would be Nomar. Someone who the town loves but must go.

I think my intentions of the word magic was pretty clear. People want to say at some point he will be better because he wont be dealing with xyz problem. I think if he has xyz problem he will likely have xyz problem for the rest of his career at this point.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
For Eberle? Sign me up.

Guy is a stud and quite honestly is a better hockey player than Looch. Love Looch, but he has seemed to have lost what made him the player he is paid like.

This -- The best I've seen Lucic after watching the majority of the games in between lockouts was the 09 playoffs. Ever since that ankle sprain in the 09-10 season and since he got his face rearrange by Colton Orr, he just hasn't been the same. Yes, the past two seasons (this one doesn't apply,) he has put up big numbers scoring 25~ goals but he was a PPG in the 09 playoffs and during that season, still put up 17 goals and 42 points while being that huge physical presence. I am willing to put down a lot of money that the energy he brought this team by being that physical as well as the turnovers he created by throwing big hits more than made up for those goals that he has been putting in the past 2 seasons.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
seen two comments that to me summarize what is wrong when it comes to fans evaluating trades.

the first comment was... id trade lucic for eberle now because lucic sucks now. what is wrong about this comment is that you NEVER SELL LOW. selling low is the biggest mistake you can make anytime you are trying to gain from a trade. so unless we can convince Edmonton to be dealing for lucic's 'value' than we should hold onto him and let him get over whatever is messing him up at the moment. We don't deal lucic unless we get back appropriate value because whether or not he is sucking at the moment, this is still a guy that can be an absolute stud at times too and he will be again...

which brings me to the second comment saying that we will have remorse as soon as we deal him. There is almost always remorse anytime that any good player or popular player gets moved. Even to this day, I still sometimes wish thornton and kessel still played for us. Some remorse is not only normal when dealing popular or good players but it is pretty much unavoidable. The potential of having some remorse is definitely NOT a reason for dealing a player in the first place.

whether or not we do deal lucic will come down to a sophisticated analysis that will take place involving teams needs... team cap management... team chemistry issues... other factors of this ilk... and a study of what might be available for a return... and how does that return fit into our teams best plans...

ultimately we might not be able to get what we want for lucic... or maybe we will get a return that is simply too good to pass over. if we factor in cap room and know we could resign a guy like Nathan Horton plus get a great prospect or two when dealing lucic... then that becomes a hard package not to value too. Lucic has value but so does Horton and a great prospect. We might have regret dealing lucic but we would also have regret watching Horton and that great prospect playing for other teams too...

if lucic is someones favorite player {like he is mine} then I can easily understand why it feels horrible to consider trading him. But as much as I personally love lucics unique blend of talent/toughness, we simply cant ignore how much cap room he occupies and how inconsitient his game has been over the past 3 years.

on his best days... lucic probably is worth every penny of 6 million...but I just don't have the confidence he will show up at playoff time when needed and have his best days for us.

I want more playoff success before this core of the team needs to be rebuild. im more comfortable with a skilled krecji line and Horton providing an upgrade on the third line moving forward than I would be continuing with lucic/Horton on the krecji line and peverly with Kelly on the third line.

yes yes we did win a cup with these guys but that cup win required us to go to 7 games in 3 series. one bounce of a puck in round 1 against montreal that year and we probably fire julien and we sure as hell have a whole different feeling about things. one bounce of a puck is how close that was...

on the other hand we got eliminated 3 times in the past 4 years in game 7 too... one bounce of a puck would have gotten us into the next round each year...

I don't want to rely on bounces of pucks... so give me some 'skill' like jagr for my scoring line and more skill on the third line by resigning Horton and move lucic cause he is too much of a puck bouncing type of scorer.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I dont think the Oilers do this trade straight up. Eberle is a point per game player and has has potential to be even better than that.

Lucic on the other hand is what he is. A big bruising winger with potential to score 25 goals per year.

Eberle is the far talented player and I would make this trade in a second. I dont think the Oilers do it straight up imo.

If the Bruins are ever going to trade Looch, I'd personally target Matt Duchene.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Still wonder why some have issues with a potential Lucic scratch (although for my money Horty has earned a seat as well). Some say Claude doesn`t hold players accountable, then when we hear he may FINALLY do it with a guy like Looch, the tune changes here.

I`d sit both of the BFF`s to be honest, stick Sods in there and play Dawgman

bostonphoenix

Jan 13, 2011
Still wonder why some have issues with a potential Lucic scratch (although for my money Horty has earned a seat as well). Some say Claude doesn`t hold players accountable, then when we hear he may FINALLY do it with a guy like Looch, the tune changes here.

This.

Bojakees*

This is hysterical....All this time wasted on a hypothetical that is DUMBER then a nail and will never happen. Gotta love it.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Not sure if it's been mentioned and I'm sure it has, but Julien said he'd been dealing with "issues" anyone know what kind personal or what I'm guessing. Either way I don't think he's being used the right the right way up until the other night he in horton were constantly trotted out game after game at this point I'd rather see paille up there. I don't think they should trade him but... Well I dunno where he fits right now

I think it's well worth looking at Julien's quotes from yesterday. He didn't seem like he wanted to defend Lucic. He basically told the press to go ask Lucic what's wrong.

NHRonin

Jul 21, 2005
Okinawa
I would do that trade in a minute.Lucic sucks right now

Key phrase here "right now."

Nothing says this is it for Lucic's career. He's in a funk that a lot of star players have gone into. As I said in a previous post, Ovechkin and Getzlaf are just two examples.

I wouldn't do it. Give the kid a few games off, get the sports psych guy in with him and go from there.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I dont think the Oilers do this trade straight up. Eberle is a point per game player and has has potential to be even better than that.

Lucic on the other hand is what he is. A big bruising winger with potential to score 25 goals per year.

Eberle is the far talented player and I would make this trade in a second. I dont think the Oilers do it straight up imo.

If the Bruins are ever going to trade Looch, I'd personally target Matt Duchene.

Not only do I think the Oilers would do it, I think they would add to it to make it happen.

I like Duchene, but Bobby Ryan is the guy I would be looking at. He's a perfect fit. I know the Ducks can't take on Lucic's contract, just saying.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Eberle sucks. You can go better IMO.

Lucic probably wasn't/isn't as good as people though he was when he peaked a year ago. He has also become a softer player.

However he has a unique skill set that is in demand around the league. I think there would be a bidding war for him.

Personally I'd package him and Boychuk and maybe a pick and try and get a stud D man like Eric Johnson.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I would do that deal in heart beat,Lucic is slow and way way over paid,Eberle has amazing skills better scorer ,skater,smarter ...SIGN ME UP!

Kaoz*

Lucic probably wasn't/isn't as good as people though he was when he peaked a year ago. He has also become a softer player.

However he has a unique skill set that is in demand around the league. I think there would be a bidding war for him.

Personally I'd package him and Boychuk and maybe a pick and try and get a stud D man like Eric Johnson.

Facepalm.png

Lucic can peak at age 23, yet Eric Johnson who is 25 and has never even come close to reaching his potential is a "stud defenseman".

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008

Spot on. These two should be a wrecking crew and they are more like partners on Dancing with the Stars. I suspect Horton's issue may be related to his cocussion. Looch? Who knows.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010

oh dear

ElkabombKid9

May 18, 2007
Boston
You asked if anyone knew what "issues" they were. I gave my response. If you don't like it, I don't know what to say. This topic reeks to similar to the Thomas "issues" and nobody should go there.

As for the last part, you said you don't know where he fits right now. Maybe the coaching staff is thinking the same thing? There's a boatload of bodies now. There's going to be some experimentation.[/QUOT

I apologize. I wasn't trying to pry or disrespect anyone etc... it was in the news and I was curious. I guess I didn't realize it wasn't an appropriate question and I also apologize for not liking your answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00